Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Just managed to beat the Warmaster on my second try (first with a proper party, and the first try might've killed it if I hadn't delayed a break by one turn and that fight seems far easier than the other 3 bonus job bosses (when you're very underleveled anyways)) with a party of Therion (44), Cyrus (39), Olberic (35), Alfyn (32). :toot:

When I broke their defense for the last time and Olberic's maxxed veteran warrior summon didn't kill it I got worried, but the boss only got to act twice before Therion and Olberic, allowing the former to toss a large pomegranate at later so Olberic could do a final 4x summon for the win. Everyone was geared for as much hp/defense as possible and Olberic spent a lot of his normal turns using the cheapest mercenary summon because while it does terrible damage it gives a 2 turn partywide defense buff which, coupled with Therion's atk debuff (and the passive to add an extra turn to each use) the damage I was taking went from rough to "someone's only going to die to bad luck" for the most part. It probably would've gone faster if I had Olberic's divine skill since while defense debuffs affect the damage merchant summons do, having Olberic use abide to boost his own atk didn't seem to affect their damage. OTOH, Therion was only doing 11-13k damage with his divine skill while the merchant summon was 22-23k. :shrug:

I guess I should finish the second half of my ch2 quests and start on ch3. Tressa's my lowest level character currently but even she's finally in to the 30s. Once I finish Therion's storyline he's going to take a long break from my party because goddamn he's outleveling everyone so badly now, except Cyrus who I benched so I could get another low level character in to the party to play catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Y'know, I've been thinking about how the world map works in this game, and I realized I am getting Paper Mario vibes in how there isn't really an overworld per see but a series of areas that connect to one another (and also designed to invoke landmarks and pathways that make them easier to navigate and look up on the map you get).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Did Olberic's chapter 3 tonight. Really enjoying his story, even the intro was pretty decent.

Unfortunately for him, that marks the end of my current party. Did a bit of map exploration to unlock the last shrine and ch 2 town, then fast traveled to Therion's chapter 2 town and switched up my party to give the bench some work.

Current party is now:
38 Therion apothecary (to keep people alive)
15 H'annit warrior (damage!)
11 Cyrus dancer (for rng dance to hopefully get them caught up faster)
10 Tressa hunter (because I can't not do this after seeing the sprite)

Hopefully Therion can actually carry them through it all, though the equipment I've been gathering from all over should help a bit.

Also as a side note, the cheapest mercenary from hired help is really good. A full party defense boost for two turns and an aoe sword hit per level for only $150 is insanely good. Sure it does nothing damage, but that's hardly the point. I had theorized with a friend that Tressa was probably a really good candidate for the starting character in a speedrun and that's just another reason for me to feel that way.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ChaosArgate posted:

Well I decided to snap the game’s difficulty. With Cyrus’s support skill, I made it up to Grandport around the time I started doing chapter 2s. I grabbed a dagger with high evade from the merchants there, and stacked evasion as high as I could go on Olberic before challenging the NPC blocking the house. After like 20 min, I beat the guy so I could go inside and scrutinize the old lady, who gives a huge boost to steal rates (3% -> 80%+, usually). I then proceeded to rob the town blind and now my Thief Tressa’s got 597 evade. :v: Time to carry on with chapter 2s!

This sounded absurd so I had to give it a shot.

Good god I'm rolling in so much gear. This is so dirty I loving love it. It's not even cheating because it's just utilizing what the game has given you.

:getin:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
15 hours later, I'm done with all the chapter 1s. Here is my rankings so far:

pre:
Characters         Ch 1 Stories

S Tier             S Tier
Cyrus              Primrose
Primrose           Olberic
Tressa             Tressa

A Tier             A Tier
Olberic            Cyrus
Therion            Ophilia

B Tier             B Tier
H'aanit            H'aanit
Ophilia            Therion

D Tier             D Tier
Alfyn              Alfin
Unlock Order: Tressa (start) -> Cyrus -> H'aanit -> Therion -> Primrose -> Alfyn -> Olberic -> Ophilia.

First off, Alfin just sucks. I don't find him interesting and his story is boring as gently caress. Literally my least favorite character and I'm fine never bringing him into my party. He's a total bore.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Olberic. I left him for toward the end because he sounded boring to me, but he hella won me over.

In contrast, I was disappointed by how much H'aanit just didn't do it for me. I was hoping things would be far more exciting but I found her personality and chapter 1 fairly boring.

Therion seems mostly fun but his story was mostly bland.

Tressa is perfect in every way.

Cyrus is great and a powerhouse.

Thinking my core party will be Tressa/Cyrus/Olberic/Primrose.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

First off, Alfin just sucks. I don't find him interesting and his story is boring as gently caress. Literally my least favorite character and I'm fine never bringing him into my party. He's a total bore.

:chloe:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I love Cyrus so much. He's just so god damned endearing

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

No but you can switch out the other three pretty well. One overleveled party member is still not ideal I know but at least everyone else will probably be at level.

Or just accept that this is sort of how a lot of jrpgs work when you do a lot of exploring.

Also this didn't help :v:
Yeah the cats were definitely part of the problem :v: That said, Tressa & Co were still level 33 before starting that third chapter 2.

But yeah I wasn't trying to make this a big deal or anything, the game is still fun and being overleveled isn't really bothering me that much. I could swap around my characters more but I need the wholesome duo Tressa and Alfyn in my party and it would feel wrong to swap one out and not the other :colbert:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The big thing with alfyn is that he has full access to every element via concoct... but does little damage with them.

Alfyn is a very good axe unit, and concoct is great at whittling down enemy shields and curing status effects/giving the whole party bp. the elemental effects on foes can be multi hit as well.

And the items used are really cheap in the early game, going from 30-150 for the lowest tier stuff that can be easily bought in bulk.

You just have to experiment a bit with the low tier healing/poison seeds/powders to fill out the descriptions, but the materials are super cheap, and there are no 'oh, that heals the foe/damages your party' effects.

And savescum for the golden axe in alfyns town and give it to him along with the aoe axe attack, and he does amazing things.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pharohman777 posted:

The big thing with alfyn is that he has full access to every element via concoct... but does little damage with them.

Alfyn is a very good axe unit, and concoct is great at whittling down enemy shields and curing status effects/giving the whole party bp. the elemental effects on foes can be multi hit as well.

And the items used are really cheap in the early game, going from 30-150 for the lowest tier stuff that can be easily bought in bulk.

You just have to experiment a bit with the low tier healing/poison seeds/powders to fill out the descriptions, but the materials are super cheap, and there are no 'oh, that heals the foe/damages your party' effects.

And savescum for the golden axe in alfyns town and give it to him along with the aoe axe attack, and he does amazing things.

On the other hand, "mix" characters are annoying and the antithesis of fun. I hated it on Rikku in FFX, I hate it on any other character to this day.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

On the other hand, "mix" characters are annoying and the antithesis of fun. I hated it on Rikku in FFX, I hate it on any other character to this day.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Extensive trial and error is not what I enjoy in my RPG character abilities.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
My current party basically exists solely to feed Alfyn buffs/BP. Depending on character turn order, a maxed out Final Stand is more often than not an aoe insta-kill on turn one for normal encounters and doesn’t give a gently caress about breaking.

For bosses, you try to break them so they lose two turns, stack as many buffs/debuffs as you can, and then max boost Decapitate on both turns with Donate BP. The full combo chunks off more than a third of a ch 2 boss hp pool and is so drat satisfying to pull off.

(this is with the Golden Axe btw)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BTW, what influences the turn order? Is it similar to Darkest Dungeon, so some basic stat + dice throw?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just a reminder that this person's uploading all the Travel Banter/Party Chat on Youtube if you've missed some of it.

Mordiceius posted:

The only one that's really trial-and-error are the first-level party/enemy effects and the Curious Bloom effects. Otherwise, things are pretty consistent (Noxroot party mixes always cure poison, Grape mixes always heal, Addleroot enemy mixes always deal Ice hits) with the items affecting intensity/number of hits and whether it affects one or all. The item descriptions also generally give you hints on what they do as far as the party-side goes/ Curious Bloom's the only one to change element between items. And after the first time you use a mix the game will flat-out tell you what it does in the future, so you don't even need a mix chart.

Then again I'm biased because my favorite jRPG is FF5 and !Mix in that game does some insanely sick things. Level up to 255, double HP, get boss-tier immunities, and Berserk whatever the hell you want regardless of whether they're immune? Hell yeah!

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Zore posted:

It just triggers after you progress steps in a characters Chapter 2+ questline if you have the right people in your party.

Usually it's between the quest important person and one other. So in Primrose Chapter 2 she triggers it with Cyrus, Tressa, Therion and H'annit as the story moves through and it usually involves them having a little backstory (Cyrus talking about how he loves to dance but sucks at it, Tressa not knowing what a brothel is, H'annit bonding with her over dead parents etc).

If you want to be sure to see all of it just fast travel to an in and rotate your party between every cutscene. Or don't worry about it because the skits are really minor.

In Prim's chapter 2, I got a trigger with Ophelia but didn't get the one with Tressa. I don't think the Tressa one would have happened at the same place the Ophelia one did, but they would have been fairly close together. Does having one party member mean you'll get their conversation and then that supersedes a different one, even if that character is in your party or something.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Travel Chat seems finicky. You can go to the tavern and swap characters after each cutscene, and maybe half the time you'll get the new party chat prompt if that character's chat is triggered. But doing this I still usually miss a couple.

It's kinda wonky.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I have few complaints about the game, not enough to make me ever stop playing that is, but one QoL thing i'd like is a much bigger notification of the party banter message. I play on a big tv and i'm focusing my eye on the middle of the screen. Then I enter a new area, spot the message in the top right corner and it's too late to activate it, and it's seemingly gone forever. :(

Just like shove it right in my face with a loud rear end noise, kind of like the ATE's from FF9. Please SE, I hate missing the banter.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I really like this game, for the most part. But there are some complaints. Ophelia's story is boring unfortunately, as is the rest of them when they get too heavily into whatever trope that is their focus.

However the biggest issue I have with the game is the dungeons. Whereas in the game this is based off, FF6, you were interacting with the environment and had story beats interspersed before bosses, here the only reason to explore is finding chests at the end of rooms or corridors. So far I think I have gone through 3 mansion dungeons, belonging to a rich merchant, rich noble and possibly rich scientist, all decorated the same with similar enemies. There are also so many dang caves that only differ in what colour scheme they have, and some light environmental art.

On the other hand, exploring towns and investigating the townsfolk is just great overall.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Alfyn is a nice fella and was my paladin type up until he became a starseer buffbot/caster, and I rarely even used concoct. His story was a little tedious to play but was one of the better "stories" if that makes any sense.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

the game this is based off, FF6

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I was a bit wary crosstraining H'aanit into Apothacary, since Alfyn is already on my team (and a Cleric to boot), but Amputate is really all she was missing. I might still experiment with other jobs, but I think this pairing is right up there with Merchant-Scholar and Dancer-Warrior.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Concoct is super simple, though. Everything follows some really simple patterns.

Seed = single target
Dust = multi-target
Positive descriptor = healing
Negative/harmful descriptor = attacking.

The healing ingredients follow the same rules as normal items. Grapes restore HP, plums restore SP, and pomegranates restore BP. So Purifying Dust + Essence of Pomegranate = restore BP to the party.

I’ll grant that the elemental weeds need a little experimentation if you don’t want to look them up, since they’re also status effect items and that’s what they’re named for, but you only have to learn which one each weed does once.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mordiceius posted:

There's no trial and error with concoct. The ingredients are basically named "Healing seed/dust, injuring seed/dust, which you combine with ingredients that might as well be named "esuna junk, poison junk, fire junk, action junk".

It's pretty obvious what a combination will do

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One QOL update I really need is being able to assign jobs from the bartender. It was nice of them to let you change equipment from everyone there but if I want to change jobs I have to pull someone out and remove their job and put them back in.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Your Computer posted:

I just did Alfyn's chapter 2 and he really is on the quest to be the goodest boy isn't he. That was adorable and I love my cinnamon roll teammate :kimchi:

Even grown-ups need a good cry from time to time :unsmith:
He really didn't click with me until that moment, but I've been a fan ever since

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I decided to go gently caress around with Bewildering Grace and ended up with about 5 extra levels after an hour or so, just because I need to snap this game’s spine even further. I’m also tapped out on Tressa, Primrose, Cyrus, and Ophelia’s support skills from their base classes thanks to all the JP.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

One QOL update I really need is being able to assign jobs from the bartender. It was nice of them to let you change equipment from everyone there but if I want to change jobs I have to pull someone out and remove their job and put them back in.

You don’t have to pull someone out to remove their job. If you try to re-assign a job that’s already assigned, the game will ask if you want to remove the job from Character A.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I love every bit of party banter between Alfyn and Therion that I've seen. They have such a weird bromance going on that is a little confusing but it's cute.

"stealing here, stealing there. You thieves really work hard!" :3:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Got JPx100 last night off of Bewildering Grace which was just great. Pushed everyone over 3k which let me buy all their second to last skills.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ChaosArgate posted:

I decided to go gently caress around with Bewildering Grace and ended up with about 5 extra levels after an hour or so, just because I need to snap this game’s spine even further. I’m also tapped out on Tressa, Primrose, Cyrus, and Ophelia’s support skills from their base classes thanks to all the JP.

You don’t have to pull someone out to remove their job. If you try to re-assign a job that’s already assigned, the game will ask if you want to remove the job from Character A.

Haha I didn't even try because that lock icon is so intimidating!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Is there somewhere in particular that the exp cats are more likely to be? I saw one once but I couldn't get him and that was forever ago

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

Is there somewhere in particular that the exp cats are more likely to be? I saw one once but I couldn't get him and that was forever ago

I spend 20 hours in the overworld doing every characters chapter 1 without ever seeing one, but once I went into a level 15 side dungeon I ran into two in quick succession.
I spent an M soulstone to instakill them, but is a regular one enough?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If I could freely switch my main character out of the party, I would be very tempted to just bounce back and forth between all-noble and all-rogue parties and probably give each party a name. Like:

Some Nice Kids: Alfyn/Dancer, Tressa/Thief, Olberic/Hunter, Ophilia/Scholar
One of Those Cliques, Probably: Cyrus/Merchant, Primrose/Cleric, H'aanit/Warrior, Therion/Apothecary

Kashuno posted:

I love every bit of party banter between Alfyn and Therion that I've seen. They have such a weird bromance going on that is a little confusing but it's cute.

"stealing here, stealing there. You thieves really work hard!" :3:

I enjoy the beginning of Alfyn's story, the way it went for me.

Good Boy Alfyn sets out from his hometown to help people and heal the sick the world over! But first, he immediately falls into a life of crime and robs a mansion, then helps a woman kill the poo poo out of the man who made her a sex slave. He... he just jumps right on in, doesn't he

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 18, 2018

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Alfyn is fine with theft as long as it doesn't physically hurt people. If it does, that's not OK

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Alfyn is fine with theft as long as it doesn't physically hurt people. If it does, that's not OK

I'm going to assume all those guards we fought on the way in were just... scared off. Yeah.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Kashuno posted:

And if the snow leopard that travels with you just happens to maul someone who was standing in front of a door with treasure behind it, well that's just bad luck.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Licarn posted:

And if the snow leopard that travels with you just happens to maul someone who was standing in front of a door with treasure behind it, well that's just bad luck.

A pregnant lady can take a mauling from a leopard no problem

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All this makes me wish there was more character interaction.

Bright eyed Tressa sets off for adventure, only to come across a woman who worked in the sex trade in order to find the men who hurt her family and brutally murder them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I assume he gets some more story in his later chapters but it's sort of funny how Therion is just straight up a thief (not to mention a jerk). No 'treasure hunter' or excuses, he just wanted to rob that mansion because it had valuable treasure in it (and Tressa was in as soon as she heard the word "treasure"!)

Kashuno posted:

All this makes me wish there was more character interaction.

Bright eyed Tressa sets off for adventure, only to come across a woman who worked in the sex trade in order to find the men who hurt her family and brutally murder them.