Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

cilg so telg oui vilgsyh

nabundat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Doesn't the PS1 version run at a higher framerate?

does ps1 crash run at 60fps? n sane trilogy does now but only on pc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played through the first trial of danganronpa. It was cool but i solved it like 2hrs before it let me be done are they all like that?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just remembered I have an unopened copy of Solatorobo and that's like $300 game now lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm getting more excited for Darksiders 3 after seeing the new footage and impressions that are out. It sounds more in line with 1 than 2, if a bit less Zelda-y. Still really not feeling those whip animations, though. I don't mind that the whip itself is a bit stiff since it's mostly metal, but the fairly hard stops at the end of each swing are jarring. Hopefully the swords they show are not just puzzle swords.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

I just remembered I have an unopened copy of Solatorobo and that's like $300 game now lol

is it a US-region copy because the JP/EU/CAN/AUS regions are worth about $10

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

I played through the first trial of danganronpa. It was cool but i solved it like 2hrs before it let me be done are they all like that?

Not usually, the first one is more of an extended tutorial. They run the full gamut from too easy to too ridiculous to just perfect though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I like dr because even if you do know the culprit the process of exposing them is more fun than the ace attorney equivalent of trying to put a square peg in a square hole for 2 hours.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also the trial writing is pretty funny

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

I like dr because even if you do know the culprit the process of exposing them is more fun than the ace attorney equivalent of trying to put a square peg in a square hole for 2 hours.

I haven't played DR but idk what you're talking about with phoenix wright. It's almost always a grand time when you've figured out the mystery and just have to catch the criminal in a lie or disprove their alibi or show new evidence proving their guilt, except for a couple cases (the clown case was annoying what with getting punished all the time because of the clown himself, a few other times where you know what you need to do but aren't sure what the game wants you to do to make progress but I suspect DR probably has that occasionally as well).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just didn't like the way cases worked in AA and stopped playing after the first game. I watched he movie first though and I think I'd prefer just watching AA stuff, but the anime was ugly and boring. So they should do more movies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ALso if you screw up to the point of total failure in DR you just continue with a score penalty, but in AA you have to start the entire day over. Which sucks rear end.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Always savescum in ace attorney

Too bad you couldn't get around to ace attorney 2 or 3 and too bad you didn't enjoy 1 because 1 has more than its fair share of outstanding moments and breakdowns too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hmm the first two trials in Hollow Knight's colosseum are... very easy. Is this a hustle? I'm going to get my poo poo wrecked in the final round aren't I?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Later AA games have lots of checkpoints for restarts but yeah in the earlier ones just save your game every time you're not 100% sure of the answer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

....you can save mid trial?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if this is what nero angelo is like on dante must die difficulty i don't know if i want to see what nightmare is like

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Real hurthling! posted:

The first case in detective games is always an easy tutorial to get you used to the mechanics.

Although the second case in DR1 was my least favorite because of how much it kept going back to the ID cards and also some stuff that didn't sit well with me involving a certain character.

Case 3 and 4 were great, however.

Mak0rz posted:

Hmm the first two trials in Hollow Knight's colosseum are... very easy. Is this a hustle? I'm going to get my poo poo wrecked in the final round aren't I?

I never beat the Trial of Fools because it was souring me on the game, but I also didn't have the i-frame dash.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

....you can save mid trial?

Yeah it's like a save & quit which is kind of annoying but it doesn't erase your save when you load it like a lot GBA games had a habit of doing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

is it a US-region copy because the JP/EU/CAN/AUS regions are worth about $10

US. I meant to play it, just never got around to it and would've loved to see the vaporware PS3 version.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samuringa posted:

I never beat the Trial of Fools because it was souring me on the game, but I also didn't have the i-frame dash.

I hate it when videogames do this. Please make your difficulty ramping consistent!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's kind of fun analyzing DR and AA because they take opposite approaches. In DR you're given all the information at the start of the trial and you have to steer the conversation towards the conclusion. At its best there's a minute detail that's flipped upside down (sometimes literally) but it's fun making an educated guess before the trial even starts. But you never know the murderer's motive so sometimes there are weird leaps in logic and V3 lampshades this in a frustrating way in the third trial.

AA you're never given all the information and have to stall and bullshit to open witnesses up. It makes for less satisfying mysteries but far better characterization because basically every character in DR is useless during a trial while in AA it feels like you're always backed up against a wall which makes the final blow super satisfying. I think the final case in Investigations is the best in the series because you're basically facing Phoenix Wright himself, a dude that will bullshit endlessly even when he admits to the crime.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

if this is what nero angelo is like on dante must die difficulty i don't know if i want to see what nightmare is like

slash slash *pause* STABSTABSTABSTABSTABSTABSTAB

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope dmc1hd gets quick weapon switch modded in at some point cause otherwise i think i'll probably just, not finish dmd

having to go through menus to maintain combos between ifrit and alastor... not a good feel

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Hope you mean the last case of Investigations 2 because the last case of 1 is the epitome burnout. They tried to make something that would be a grand conclusion but it was just exhausting.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Mak0rz posted:

It's an endurance thing, just stay focused and don't cut corners. People have a lot of trouble with the third trial but nothing about the moment to moment combat is overwhelming. The first two trials are way too easy for how late in the game they are while the last one is just right.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Hope you mean the last case of Investigations 2 because the last case of 1 is the epitome burnout. They tried to make something that would be a grand conclusion but it was just exhausting.

That's what I mean. It was a really frustrating affair but that's what every prosecutor going up against Wright must feel like every time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Well now I want Phoenix Wright to murder someone

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

2014 Strider is fun to just run around and slash, but I feel like the areas are too big and nondescript to be a great metroidvania. Maybe some of the later upgrades change that.

I think they could make a good X/Zero style of game, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 18, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

2014 Strider is fun to just run around and slash, but I feel like the areas are too big and nondescript to be a great metroidvania. Maybe some of the later upgrades change that.

I think they could make a good X/Zero style of game, though.

a lot of strider reboot is fun in concept but insanely boring in execution. i tuned out two hours in, it just doesn't feel very good to play

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It annoyed me how you constantly took damage with little way to avoid it so they just made the enemies shower health items at you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

You get powers that make traversal faster but its biggest problem is not having quick travel which is a must for the genre. That said it has some really good boss fights and platforming sections where maneuver abilities are used to navigate trap rooms and I would've appreciated the game more as a straight arcade platformer.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

A Bag of Milk posted:

It's an endurance thing, just stay focused and don't cut corners. People have a lot of trouble with the third trial but nothing about the moment to moment combat is overwhelming. The first two trials are way too easy for how late in the game they are while the last one is just right.

The real stumbling block for me was the prolonged segment where you can't heal. Once you can get past that part it's not so bad, but it's a real bottleneck in the gauntlet.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

taking either the quick charge badge and spamming the big arcing swing or the rotating shield badge and letting it do most of the work while you focus on maneuvering (or both!) during the floorless section makes it a lot easier.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Without the i-frame dodge, it still is doable. Without the Nailmaster Charm, it is going to be very painful. And if you don't have a good nail too, just wander around some more.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samuringa posted:

Without the i-frame dodge, it still is doable. Without the Nailmaster Charm, it is going to be very painful. And if you don't have a good nail too, just wander around some more.

Yeah I have both the ghost dash and the pure nail. Don't have that charm though.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Twopoint Hospital, made by the same bullfrog peeps who made theme hospital, is coming out August 30th to PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There is almost no good reason to not wait until you're fully powered up to do the final arena challenge in Hollow Knight, other than wanting as much of a challenge as possible in something that is already kind of bullshit when you actually are fully powered up

• Locked thread