Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Despite the 60 price tag I had fun with this and still plug in my WiiU to play it every now and then. I like the absurd amount of gore it had and the TPS/melee combo even if it wasn't done too well. Multiplayer was also somewhat entertaining despite the atrocious lag.

The baditude during the first level when that buttrock begins to play is hilarious, too bad it disappears after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

glam rock hamhock posted:

There is almost no good reason to not wait until you're fully powered up to do the final arena challenge in Hollow Knight, other than wanting as much of a challenge as possible in something that is already kind of bullshit when you actually are fully powered up

there is almost no good reason to do the final arena challenge in hollow knight period, other than getting a single completion percentage point

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

there is almost no good reason to do the final arena challenge in hollow knight period, other than getting a single completion percentage point

You do it for the great rewards

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cowcaster posted:

It's fun

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

don't look at me i did the trial of the fool and the path of pain and loved every bit of it, i'm just pointing out if you think it's bullshit there's almost literally no reason to do it at all

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Unrelated to anything, I was struck with a thought this morning: it’s real strange that Super Mario RPG has “RPG” in the title.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Unrelated to anything, I was struck with a thought this morning: it’s real strange that Super Mario RPG has “RPG” in the title.

The Mario and Luigi games do this too in Japan

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They probably didn't want people to buy the game expecting something like Super Mario World and getting confused.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I was going to point out that it's not alone in being a Square game with its genre in the title--Final Fantasy Tactics comes to mind--but looking back, "RPG" was probably a pretty unfamiliar term to a good number of casual video game players at the time. People who were really into games probably knew, like by that point I definitely knew since I was super into Final Fantasy, but your average kid looking for a game to rent at Blockbuster probably didn't. But it also had Super Mario right in the title, so it probably got away with it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think it's the opposite, JRPG games were getting hot as poo poo during the SNES era which is what led to the development of Super Mario RPG in the first place.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

don't look at me i did the trial of the fool and the path of pain and loved every bit of it, i'm just pointing out if you think it's bullshit there's almost literally no reason to do it at all

My journal says there’s one enemy I haven’t “encountered” yet - I know this number increases with bosses (have yet to do NKG) and you said there’s a path of pain entry too, but I’m guessing the one that counts here is the special dude at the end of the trial of the fool. so i gotta do it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

b_d posted:

My journal says there’s one enemy I haven’t “encountered” yet - I know this number increases with bosses (have yet to do NKG) and you said there’s a path of pain entry too, but I’m guessing the one that counts here is the special dude at the end of the trial of the fool. so i gotta do it

s'true

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

It is one though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Super Mario Open World Platformer

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1999933720/trogdor-the-board-game/description

A trogdor board game kickstarter

Oh boy!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Super Mario Open World Platformer

Chapter 3 of ffxv is called The Open Road lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Super Mario Brothers: The Game

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Super Mario Fantasy: 120/7 Stars Final Mix

Cowcaster posted:

Really? Not even a charm or anything? Oh well guess I'll ignore it then and just explore for the remaining charms and vessel fragments and whatnot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think the trial of the fool is that hard. You're just fighting enemies and have plenty of opportunities to heal except during the no floor part, but if you go into that with full health you should be able to finish it before you die.

Compared to the path of pain and endgame bosses trial of the fool doesn't even register as one of the hardest things imo

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Over 4x the funding goal reached within 1 day. Of course.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Apparently Youtube is cracking down hard on anybody who wants to monetize videos with Mortal Kombat in them due to ad guidelines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kIuP_7dWi0

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think the trial of the fool is that hard. You're just fighting enemies and have plenty of opportunities to heal except during the no floor part, but if you go into that with full health you should be able to finish it before you die.

Compared to the path of pain and endgame bosses trial of the fool doesn't even register as one of the hardest things imo

I'm not surprised to learn that, honestly. The first trial was a cakewalk and the second one was literally no more challenging to me, even during the no floor part.

And I suck at this game and die all the time during normal play!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Apparently Youtube is cracking down hard on anybody who wants to monetize videos with Mortal Kombat in them due to ad guidelines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kIuP_7dWi0

Pouring out a 40 for my boy, maximillian dood

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Isn't this like a decade too late?

Also the price is kinda high. Carcassonne has a similar sort of setup but with more pieces and better art and is only 20 bucks. Same for lots of other games.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 18, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ceyton posted:

Over 4x the funding goal reached within 1 day. Of course.

Is it bad that it got 4x the funding goal in a day?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not surprised to learn that, honestly. The first trial was a cakewalk and the second one was literally no more challenging to me, even during the no floor part.

And I suck at this game and die all the time during normal play!

Yeah I think it's easier to die when wandering around because you can get stuck in a tough platforming section with no chance to replenish soul and heal. If you go into the Colosseum with a total soul regain build and quick heal it's completely self sustainable.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

Really? Not even a charm or anything? Oh well guess I'll ignore it then and just explore for the remaining charms and vessel fragments and whatnot.

the tangible rewards for completing the trial of the fool:
-money
-a monster journal entry for the hunter
-a 'cheevo
-a completion percentage point (may be due to either of the former two items)

it's up to the discretion of the player whether any of that is worth it, but it's not called the "trial of the savvy time investment"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Isn't this like a decade too late

https://i.imgur.com/rpuOGg9.mp4

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Also the price is kinda high. Carcassonne has a similar sort of setup but with more pieces and better art and is only 20 bucks. Same for lots of other games.

Yeah but kickstarter isn't a preorder service and this is also a different game with multiple disclaimers that this is temp art and is not final so :shrug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I have absolutely no interested in a Trogdor board game, especially so many years after Homestar was relevant. But man going back and watching old Homestarrunner cartoons, that poo poo is still funny. Teen Girl Squad and Strong Bad Emails especially are still great

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah but kickstarter isn't a preorder service and this is also a different game with multiple disclaimers that this is temp art and is not final so :shrug:

That's fair.

It's really odd but more power to em I guess. I loved homestar runner as a kid, I'm just automatically extremely wary of kickstarters in general.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lmao 9 people have already bought this

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Regy Rusty posted:

I played the game at release and it was the hardest challenge at the time, haven't taken a ride through the new additions yet.

I'm waiting for all of the free ones to be done and I'll probably give the game another spin.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

-money
-a 'cheevo

it's up to the discretion of the player whether any of that is worth it, but it's not called the "trial of the savvy time investment"

making a really hard challenge, providing no real rewards for completing it, and then calling it the trial of the fool owns

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Looper posted:

making a really hard challenge, providing no real rewards for completing it, and then calling it the trial of the fool owns

:hmmyes:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I make a bunch of poison insects that crash into things while I just run around a bunch A+ strategy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the trial of the fool.... i plead “guilty”

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

an actual dog posted:

lmao 9 people have already bought this

It's insane how it's 1800 for that but I imagine at that price they're just saying "hey you want to fund this game so here's a special unique thing that isn't gonna be available to everybody and we want to make it look fancy"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rocking out to the Trogdor song in Guitar Hero 2 :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cowcaster posted:

-money
-a 'cheevo

I'll probably try it once or twice but ignore it after a couple of attempts then. Lmao at the game rewarding essentially nothing but piles of geo at a time when you would not have any further use for it.

Looper posted:

Yeah it's all starting to make sense now.

• Locked thread