Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Laminar posted:

I lurk a lot and don't post, but two quick things.

I got a bottle of bottle of Ardbeg betting on Ford winning, so thank you my naive Parkdale friend. I'm just glad I no longer live in Ontario.

Second, would people be interesting in talking about the new Impact Assessment Act (the replacement for CEAA) that is being passed? I work in the environmental field, and I'm constantly stunned people are getting worked up about individual projects, but nobody seems to be even paying attention to the rework of the Federal legislation governing it. I haven't even seen it come up in this thread, which normally talks about these things a lot.

Actual interesting political content rather than anecdotes, the keg, and beer chat??
:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If I could I'd move away.

I only like it here because pretty much every band I like will stop in Toronto.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Winnipeg's local shock jock dumbass radio host got suspended again lol

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-wheeler-trans-comments-1.4749616?cmp=rss

quote:

A Winnipeg radio personality was off the air Tuesday morning, a day after making comments about transgender people that Rogers Media said were contrary to its "standards and core values."

Dave Wheeler, host of 92 CITI FM program Wheeler in the Morning, won't be on the program for the time being, the communications company said Monday evening.

"The comments do not represent our standards and core values, and we apologize for the insensitive and hurtful remarks made by Dave Wheeler," Rogers Media spokesperson Andrea Goldstein wrote in an emailed statement to CBC News.

"We do not condone this type of behaviour, and we are taking steps to address this."

The statement follows Wheeler's comments Monday that likened transgender people to actors who "pretend to be different things."

"Kind of like what you're doing, really, in the grand scheme of things," Wheeler said during the program.

The conversation started with a discussion about Scarlett Johansson, who recently dropped out of playing a transgender man after facing backlash.

Rogers Media confirmed it has invited a transgender community member to speak on the show about issues faced by transgender individuals.

CBC News could not reach Wheeler for comment Monday.

The host was previously suspended following controversial YouTube videos he was involved in in 2016 that were criticized as racist and sexist.

The videos stirred some Winnipeggers to protest at the CITI FM station and call for Wheeler to be fired.

'You could hear the hate in his voice'

Social media posts condemning Wheeler's comments circulated on Facebook Monday afternoon.

Kara Fraser, who describes herself as an ally, said she reached out to Wheeler over Facebook Messenger and was disturbed by his response. She posted images of their conversation, and the images were shared widely.

In the conversation, Wheeler said he isn't transphobic and doesn't hate transgender people. He also reiterated his statement that transgender people who have not "made the full transition surgically" are "playing pretend."

Theo DeSilva, a transgender man in Winnipeg, said he first learned about the comments after his girlfriend posted them to Facebook.

"I was disgusted."

DeSilva said hearing that kind of sentiment on-air could make it seem OK to listeners.

​"I think it's creating a culture of hate and creating a culture of fear in Winnipeg. I think it's hate speech. I don't think it has any place in Winnipeg."

Xavier Raddysh, who is transgender, said he also learned about the remarks through Facebook and was struck by Wheeler's tone.

"You could hear the hate in his voice," Raddysh said, "that he believes that we're just social justice warriors who cry, when a lot of the time we're doing more for the communities than people like him who are just complaining about us."

He said he has been able to ignore attitudes like Wheeler's, but it's concerning to hear it expressed by somebody with such a large platform.

"Radio, people listen every morning on their drives to work, right? If that's their first touch with trans people or the queer community, that is derogatory and hateful, then that's what we're going to get from them eventually."

Calls to see host fired

Rogers Communications — the parent company of Rogers Media — listed inclusion and diversity as goals under its "strategic priorities" in its 2017 Corporate Social Responsibility Report. Rogers subsidiary Fido is also one of the 2018 sponsors of Toronto's Pride Parade.

Raddysh said if Rogers wants to live up to that commitment, it needs to take action.

At minimum, DeSilva said, Wheeler should take sensitivity training, but he doesn't really think that's enough. He and Raddysh both would like to hear an apology from the host, although DeSilva said he's not confident that will happen.

Ultimately, both Raddysh and DeSilva said they'd like to see Wheeler fired.

"You're going to put him on suspension again and again and again until we try and forget about it, but that's not going to happen. He needs to have his behaviour reprimanded," DeSilva said. "You can't support us one month of the year."

quote:

Rena Jae: So … do you remember how Scarlett Johansson had signed onto that movie Rub and Tug?

Dave Wheeler: No but we're into that!

Dave Turnbull: But we're interested.

Wheeler: You piqued it.

Rena: It's cute that you're saying that now because the movie is about her playing a transgender man. Do you remember we had talked about it this a long time ago when she had signed up for it?

Wheeler: No, I'm blurring lines here because I read an article saying that she stepped out of the project for whatever reason I can't remember if —

Rena: Well she just stepped out of it over the weekend. Now she's officially out of it because of all the backlash that she's got because these fans are mad about her being cast as someone who is born as a woman but identifies as a man. So … yeah ... and apparently her initial response to the criticism was like, pretty bad. She was saying that she can rightfully go after these. That, people were saying there should be actual trans actors ....

Wheeler: Oooooh my God!

Rena: ... that should be going for this kind of role.

Wheeler: Geeeeez …

Rena: That are women who are transitioning to men.

Wheeler: Uhhhhh ...

Rena: Anyway, so she dropped out of the whole project all together.

Wheeler: Wow! I'm just so ... and I don't think I'm the only one. I am so confused! I am so confused by the whole transgender community. I mean literally, there is nothing you can do to make them happy.

Rena: Yeah. you wanna accept.

Wheeler: Nothing! Not a goddamn thing! Yeah. Nothing! People act and pretend to be different things. Kinda like what you're doing! Really! In the grand scheme of things.

Rena: Oo.

Uncomfortable laughter from Turnbull and Rena.

Turnbull: I wouldn't go that far.

Rena: Yeah. Maybe take that back! Maybe take that back!

Turnbull: But I do agree with you. It's like ... it shouldn't be ... it shouldn't be ... Yeah. You don't need a transgender actor to play a transgender …

Wheeler: Right! Goddamn!

Turnbull: ... on screen. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is one of the cult classic musical movies, and they had transgender characters in that play and there was absolutely no backlash whatsoever about Neil Patrick Harris playing …

Rena: People like to just complain to complain nowadays.

Turnbull: No kidding.

Rena: It's getting out of control.

Wheeler: What a bunch of snowflakes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hope his rear end is fired. What a transphobic piece of poo poo. My barber shared it on her Instagram as it was breaking last night and I found the DM's from Facebook. Instead of buckling down when confronted about it he just dug in.

E: Here's the reply on Facebook he gave to someone:

https://imgur.com/a/48zbeAX

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 17, 2018

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Vintersorg posted:

Hope his rear end is fired. What a transphobic piece of poo poo. My barber shared it on her Instagram as it was breaking last night and I found the DM's from Facebook. Instead of buckling down when confronted about it he just dug in.

E: Here's the reply on Facebook he gave to someone:

https://imgur.com/a/48zbeAX

The worst part about all this is that he won't be fired, cause he'll just make an apology saying that's not the real him. It's either the Shock Jock character, or that after some hard thinking, he knows that he phrased it wrong, but it wasn't his intention.
If Rogers, and any other corporation, wants to really be an ally, they won't give him the chance to come back, but they also know he probably has a very rabid fanbase of like minded idiots (Winnipeg), and won't want to lose their business.

If they do fire him, that would be one of this first good moves a telecommunication company has done in Canada in a LONG time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

That honestly all sounds pretty tame if you ever interact with people who aren't uber-woke twitter leftists.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Entropic posted:

That honestly all sounds pretty tame if you ever interact with people who aren't uber-woke twitter leftists.

Yes, it's garden-variety bigotry that is obvious everywhere when you look out the window. Let's do something about it!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

“All trans people are Uber woke Twitter leftists”

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trans people are fakes and traps that are impossible not to offend, or you're an ultra-woke SJW. Pick one.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Maybe we should hold public figures with large platforms and large audiences to higher standards then "no worse then your everyday bigot"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Maybe we should hold public figures with large platforms and large audiences to higher standards then "no worse then your everyday bigot"

I wonder if this would lose effect as an emoji

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Next on CBC At Issue we check in with Barbara Kay and Jordan Peterson about The Transgenders. Expert takes from the relevant authorities. News and information Canadians trust.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
It's like saying Catholics pretend Jesus existed, doesn't even make sense from either side.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

There was a provincial by-election in Manitoba tonight. Greg Selingers former seat was won by the new Manitoba Liberal leader. The MB Liberals have official party status again. The Manitoba PCs finished a far and distant 4th place to even the Manitoba Green Party lol

https://twitter.com/skkav/status/1019405623367172096?s=21

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is Manitoba the province that elected a premier that lives in another country for half the year?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Furnaceface posted:

Is Manitoba the province that elected a premier that lives in another country for half the year?

Yep.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Dougie and Thompson are walking back the sex ed curriculum promise. The 1998 program is a "temporary" fix until they make their own, bigger and betterer program that isn't stained by liberal sex groomers. If that's not blatant vote buying for ignorant fundie parents I don't know what is.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They’re definitely going to end up with a very slightly revised version of the liberal plan and it will be a huge win for parents, folks

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
All of the parents who complained about not being individually contacted by the education minister will be fine with whatever consultation Ford trots out that will more than likely still not include them, personally.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't all parents individually contacted before sex ed? I had to sign a permission slip.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Radio is a desperate dying medium so this whole story is really boring but I have to say that "Xavier Raddysh" is the best name I've heard in a long time and sounds like a obscure Superman villain from the 1950s.

Also, I wish Scarlett Johansson well in the new role she has taken instead as the lead in the Yaphet Kotto biopic.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 18, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

xtal posted:

Aren't all parents individually contacted before sex ed? I had to sign a permission slip.

The children were also never forced to participate if the parents wished but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

xtal posted:

:wtc: What, seriously? No kids, out of the loop, but.... what?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Lobok posted:

The children were also never forced to participate if the parents wished but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's not really true.

quote:

Parents can remove their kids from sex-ed classes for religious reasons, but any requests for students to opt-out of learning about gay families or diverse gender identities won’t be tolerated, says the director of Ontario’s second largest school board — one that expects to be hard hit by protests over the new health curriculum.

quote:

The Toronto District School Board has sent principals a sweeping front-line guide on how to debunk the myths and uphold the new curriculum, while respecting parents’ right to object on religious grounds.

But students will not be excused from talk about equity and gender identity, issues protected by Ontario’s Human Rights Code, warned Beth Butcher, executive superintendent for teaching and learning.

“In English class, you might have a novel with a homosexual character, and we encourage a cross-curricular approach to learning.”

That's whatcha get for omnibussing terrible ideological equity poo poo in with much needed updated sex ed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That's whatcha get for omnibussing terrible ideological equity poo poo in with much needed updated sex ed.

What?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's not really true.

Ah, ok. My mistake. Was there any kind of proof expected from parents or could they just say "religious grounds" and that was that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Comprehensive sex ed that includes lgbt support and education about consent and abuse should be mandatory to continue your participation in school just like getting vaccinated in many places.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

Comprehensive sex ed that includes lgbt support and education about consent and abuse should be mandatory to continue your participation in school just like getting vaccinated in many places.

Getting vaccinated is not mandatory. It is my absolute right to deny peer reviewed scientific breakthroughs because of my feels and obtain exemptions for my children.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
In Ontario, a while ago now, you would be prevented from attending school if you couldn't provide immunization records. Is that no longer the case?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What the gently caress dude

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Nope

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/FormDetail?OpenForm&ENV=WWE&NO=014-4897-64E

That's not really true.

:thunk: You might not like it, you might disagree with it, but you must accept it

e: jira is down, rip

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 18, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Radio is a desperate dying medium so this whole story is really boring but I have to say that "Xavier Raddysh" is the best name I've heard in a long time and sounds like a obscure Superman villain from the 1950s.

Also, I wish Scarlett Johansson well in the new role she has taken instead as the lead in the Yaphet Kotto biopic.

It's really a non-issue not because Wheeler got fired. I look forward to his talk radio show on CJOB which has basically become Alt-Right AM Radio Winnipeg.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Nope

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/FormDetail?OpenForm&ENV=WWE&NO=014-4897-64E

:thunk: You might not like it, you might disagree with it, but you must accept it

e: jira is down, rip

My jira is fine? In as much as I understand equity to mean equality of outcome instead of equality of opportunity, I don't accept it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

It's really a non-issue not because Wheeler got fired. I look forward to his talk radio show on CJOB which has basically become Alt-Right AM Radio Winnipeg.

Maybe I'll ask my great-grandfather to show me how you work an AM radio sometime so I can listen to what it's all about.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DariusLikewise posted:

Yeah, he's done and I can easily see CJOB hiring him.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/dave-wheeler-fired-trans-comments-1.4751460

quote:

Rogers Media says it has fired 92.1 CITI FM radio host Dave Wheeler following controversial comments about transgender people that he made on his Winnipeg program Wheeler in the Morning this week.

Rogers Media spokesperson Andrea Goldstein confirmed the firing in an emailed statement Wednesday morning.

"There have been multiple disciplinary incidents, and in spite of numerous conversations, he has continued to offend our audiences," Goldstein wrote.

"As a result, we have ended our relationship with him and he is no longer with the company, effective immediately."

He was also responsible for these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Nd0WpIcAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtDmuKdLS8I

Racist, sexist, etc.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Maybe I'll ask my great-grandfather to show me how you work an AM radio sometime so I can listen to what it's all about.

You joke but here's the listener shares from Winnipeg's May radio sweeps

CBC Radio — 14.2
680 CJOB — 10.9
QX 104 — 10.3
92 CITI FM — 5.9
99.9 BOB FM — 5.7
Virgin 103 — 5.5
TSN 1290 — 5.4
94.3 The Drive — 5.2
Kiss 102.3 — 4.3
Energy 106.1 — 4
Power 97 — 3.5
Peggy 99.1 — 3.2
CBC Music FM — 3.1
Hot 100.5 FM — 1.6
Now Country 104.7 — 0.4
ICI Musique FM — 0.1

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Risky Bisquick posted:

Getting vaccinated is not mandatory. It is my absolute right to deny peer reviewed scientific breakthroughs because of my feels and obtain exemptions for my children.

Right, here it isn't, but there's places in the world where it is because the greater public health is correctly judged to trump parental tummy feels. The same should go for sex-ed. It reduces teen pregnancies and STD's, educates kids on identifying abuse from their family and from this terrifying new world of teen dating and sex, and lets kids who might not be feeling 100% straight or 100% comfortable with their gender know that's ok, and there's resources and support for them if they have lovely parents that make them feel otherwise. This is often a literal matter of life and death, it's not something that should be opted out of because an abusive lovely parent doesn't want their kid inoculated against their abuse. And I'd count a parent of a potentially gay or trans child being being anti-gay or anti-trans absolutely as very serious abuse and has a good chance of getting the kid killed or lasting psychological damage. If parents feel their right to gently caress up their kids or drive them to suicide is being infringed upon they can move to Russia or something.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

My jira is fine? In as much as I understand equity to mean equality of outcome instead of equality of opportunity, I don't accept it.

What the hell does "equality of outcome vs equality of opportunity" have to do with teaching kids how consent works and that alternate sexual/gender identities exist?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

And what does "terrible ideological equity poo poo" refer to, specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

:thunk: Have you been donating to JP

quote:

This site can’t be reached
jira.***********************.***’s server IP address could not be found.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
:rip: