Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

WarMECH posted:

The devs have always hated melee jobs in this game, except Samurai.

Samurai was such a miserable job when the game came out in the west after the pentathrust nerf, no one was playing it so they kept buffing it and I don't think they got the memo that they were really good and kept buffing them with every patch for some god forsaken reason

Samurai was my second job and it was a weird experience going from "this job is a waste of time and money" to "oh drat they buffed us again" to "well everyone has a pocket samurai now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
My main melee DD job back in the day was DRG, and we pretty much always went /WAR because there was no other choice, really. Then they buffed SAM so much and made most of the abilities under level 40 that DRG/SAM was a blast to play.

But my true love was always subbing /WHM (and sometimes /BLU) to DRG and soloing or duoing with a buddy of mine using the same combo. With the advent of Trusts and job abilities post-75 the solo DRG just doesn't have the same appeal.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I loved playing DRG/RDM, healer dragoon properly geared was sorely underrated for toau era stuff like nyzul isle and other spots where versatility trumped raw specialization. A 2h dd with an 8 mp heal and multihitting weapon skills was no joke

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Drg was my 1st to 75 and was such a slog to get to 75. Once 75 the bird parties flooded though.

I think Mnk was my 2nd, Sam followed shortly, and then I went off the rails and started doing Smn as a Galka. poo poo was fun.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

Samurai was such a miserable job when the game came out in the west after the pentathrust nerf, no one was playing it so they kept buffing it and I don't think they got the memo that they were really good and kept buffing them with every patch for some god forsaken reason

Samurai was my second job and it was a weird experience going from "this job is a waste of time and money" to "oh drat they buffed us again" to "well everyone has a pocket samurai now"

Summoner was the same. Only nobody realized how absolutely bonkers insane broken it was until it was far far too late. Then smn was a free ticket to all the aeonics and there were so many people bitching after i put out the 30 second schah video.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

I loved playing DRG/RDM, healer dragoon properly geared was sorely underrated for toau era stuff like nyzul isle and other spots where versatility trumped raw specialization. A 2h dd with an 8 mp heal and multihitting weapon skills was no joke

You just reminded me of this video of one of my old online friends and shellmates soloing Sea Horror as a 67 DRG. This was back in 2004 or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFDKMwb7Lug

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

DizzyBum posted:

You just reminded me of this video of one of my old online friends and shellmates soloing Sea Horror as a 67 DRG. This was back in 2004 or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFDKMwb7Lug

poo poo like this is why ffxi is and will always be the best mmo

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

Summoner was the same. Only nobody realized how absolutely bonkers insane broken it was until it was far far too late. Then smn was a free ticket to all the aeonics and there were so many people bitching after i put out the 30 second schah video.

Summoners were definitely used in cop Era. They were how you killed wyrms. Like the strategy for vrtra was kite the bitch and Summoners pop their avatar stuff and hit it. Rinse repeat.

I leveled drk to 57 first then was told they weren't used in end game and I went brd to 75. Was good times. Pulling was fun and getting songs for melee and then song for the ranged made me feel like a God.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the true talent was having a paladin tank and orchestrating it so you could ballad your mages and paladin at the same time while giving march and minuet to the dps

then for hard mode you also set up a SATA'd dancing edge skillchain on small mobs like goblins :unsmigghh:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Summoners were definitely used in cop Era. They were how you killed wyrms. Like the strategy for vrtra was kite the bitch and Summoners pop their avatar stuff and hit it. Rinse repeat.

I leveled drk to 57 first then was told they weren't used in end game and I went brd to 75. Was good times. Pulling was fun and getting songs for melee and then song for the ranged made me feel like a God.

that's because back then smn was safe slow damage.

Now SMN is safe, fast damage. it's the largest single spike of damage in 30s in the game. Imagine if Vrtra back then was killed in 30s to 4 summoners.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

I leveled drk to 57 first then was told they weren't used in end game
It's funny, it was kind of an open secret that dark knight was a crummy job unless you had edge case stuff like kclub, but I dont ever recall people poo poo talking dark knight like they did dragoon

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I never got the DRG hate, either.

DRK was ridiculed for being low accuracy and healers bitched about the ones that overused the ability that sucked HP to do more damage. Also, most wanted to use scythes because they were "cool" when I think that great swords had better weapon skills (but maybe lower skill cap?).

DRG, on the other hand, got ACC bonuses and had Pentathrust, also the extra damage from the wyvern. It sucked when Call Wyvern was the 2-hour ability and it died early on but that was fixed in later expansions. And like we said before, DRG/mage is a clutch healer when played correctly.

To this day, I never get sick of the Jump animation, it has to be one of the coolest abilities in this game.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAEK0b10n2Y

This was peak FFXI for me. Gil sellers were the absolute scourge at the time and people fought so passionately against their dastardly deeds. I am Gabrielx in this video and while it's pretty cheesy, I love all the terrible gear and taking forever to chip away at Simurgh.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Oh, wow, I remember you. I was on Diabolos with my buddy back at NA PS2 launch and played for about 2 years before quitting and deleted that character. Resubbed a couple of years later with a new character.

There was this dude, "Megatron", that played a galka DRG and later SMN and he was the goofiest guy we would randomly party with.

Man, Diabolos server.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The problem with DRG was they weren't on a lot of the good melee gear, so a lot of people that played the job wore full AF set and were gimp as hell.

Being a 2 handed meleer was a real disadvantage until they finally redid the formula. I remember somone making Bravura and immediately rage quitting after they were beat in a parse by a maneater+ridill WAR.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Oh poo poo that's right. I forgot that my lvl 75 gear included Assault Jerkin that we had to camp Ose hours to get and low level gloves that gave ACC/ATK bonus all because DRG couldn't wear Hauberk and all that good stuff like SAM/WAR/DRK (and of course BST lol).

Good times.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

LiquidFriend posted:

The problem with DRG was they weren't on a lot of the good melee gear, so a lot of people that played the job wore full AF set and were gimp as hell.

Being a 2 handed meleer was a real disadvantage until they finally redid the formula. I remember somone making Bravura and immediately rage quitting after they were beat in a parse by a maneater+ridill WAR.

Those first two weeks where they massively overstepped the buff on 2h weapons was amazing. I was in a leveling static at the time that intentionally collected a gaggle of (at the time) reject melees of SAM DRG and a GAxe WAR. We had just hit 70 when that patch came out and we had an amazing time stomping all the new toau leveling areas while dual axe warriors and monks wept

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

pretty soft girl posted:

Those first two weeks where they massively overstepped the buff on 2h weapons was amazing. I was in a leveling static at the time that intentionally collected a gaggle of (at the time) reject melees of SAM DRG and a GAxe WAR. We had just hit 70 when that patch came out and we had an amazing time stomping all the new toau leveling areas while dual axe warriors and monks wept
The only thing I've seen close to it since was a few months post WS formula adjustment. Was amusing watching a THF one shot a Unity NM with stacked Rudra's Storm.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

LiquidFriend posted:

The only thing I've seen close to it since was a few months post WS formula adjustment. Was amusing watching a THF one shot a Unity NM with stacked Rudra's Storm.

I quit before this happened, but it's good to know thieves finally got their time in the sun at least once since 2003 when someone closed distortion with sata viper bite for the first time and poo poo their pants

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

World War Mammories posted:

the true talent was having a paladin tank and orchestrating it so you could ballad your mages and paladin at the same time while giving march and minuet to the dps

I was just explaining to friend who'd never played XI about the pleasures of getting the spacing on ballad just right so as not to hit the melee. Then I had to explain the gearswaps.

Which were less enjoyable.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

18? I don't think there was anything to do in Jeuno at low-levels until you hit 20 and you could get your chocobo license. And 20 was always the point where I left the Dunes behind for Qufim parties.

Subjob was at 18, hope you didn't run to Jeuno before doing it (which was extra fun when skeletons' Black Butt would one-shot everyone but the tank).

Chocobo license was at 20 and made you sit around for like ... four hours. I think if you missed a day the quest reset?

Qufim Island worms were suuuper sketchy at even level 19. An 18 no-subjob was gonna sit at the mouth of that cave for a few hours at least until some party being PL'ed by a level 42 white mage eventually picks them up out of pity. (Then the 42 WHM dies trying to melee Bogys to death and homepoints back to Windurst.)

Thanks for the nostalgia bomb.

~ Raelia

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 19, 2018

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What's the quickest path to getting barspells over....is it 200? 300? as a WHM? I want to build my WHM to basically tackle Lev runs and nothing else at the moment. Would make the whole process of getting the drat runs done a hell of a lot easier.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

What's the quickest path to getting barspells over....is it 200? 300? as a WHM? I want to build my WHM to basically tackle Lev runs and nothing else at the moment. Would make the whole process of getting the drat runs done a hell of a lot easier.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/44724/on-healing-hands-a-comprehensive-whm-guide-v2/

Control F barspell.

Beneficus, Ebers (119 reforged empy) +1 set minus pants, Piety pants (119 reforged relic pants), +10 enhancing neck, 1x stikini +1 or 2x stikini NQ, and Alaunus's Cape (ambuscade WHM cape).

"With scholar sub, you have 420 naked enhancing magic skill with full merits. After basic barspell gears added, you only need 18 magic skill to cap. " The neck (+10) and ring(s) (+8, or +5 x 2) should do it.

"When Afflatus Solace is active, it grants a 5 MDB bonus against spells of the same element as the current applied Barspells."

Reforging WHM empyrean requires you to hunt your good friend Orthus again. You can of course make adjustments to the gear. Stikini +1 is +8 to all magic, you can use 1 stikini NQ for +5 and a cascade belt for +3 to enhancing instead. Unless you're willing to spend another 2.5m for a stikini ring.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:siren:Breaking News:siren:

You tell one person to shut up, you get another to fan the flames, and suddenly people wanna talk about you in town. Today was exciting.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Pretty certain that guy has some mental challenges.

He was still losing his poo poo over Rife like 10 hours later, and was quite shaken up when I lied and said you were talking a lot of poo poo about him in lschat.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 20, 2018

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You do good work.:golfclap:

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I'll be in Bastok/Gustaberg as "Kithyin" if anyone's around to dole out a pearl for me. I attempted to send a pearl from Kithyen but I guess it would make sense that you can't send pearls.

Also in all the years I've played I've never found a mog tablet. Found my first in Qufim today :v:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Aw poo poo saw your dude running around and didn't put two and two together.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
It's all good. I've just been running around leveling each of the original jobs to 30 while I netflix.

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

When should I start trying to do Ambuscade? I'm still pretty fresh at 99 with the eminent gear, and finishing all the story.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Into the Ocean posted:

When should I start trying to do Ambuscade? I'm still pretty fresh at 99 with the eminent gear, and finishing all the story.
Depends on the job

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

Corsair and Warrior. Obviously WAR isn't really an option without the gear. I leveled COR to sort of funnel it into WAR.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Into the Ocean posted:

Corsair and Warrior. Obviously WAR isn't really an option without the gear. I leveled COR to sort of funnel it into WAR.

can prolly go into ve/e as a baby cor. I don't know much about cor beyond they are always wanted. But I think you need some gear to be part of the always wanted COR. Good choice though cause you'd have a bitch of a time getting gear for that warrior if you wanted to go as him unless you rmt'd gil and paid mercs. I can maybe do some zitah t1's for you for some gear. Just look up what you need and let me know. You'l also need to farm some silt.

Go through this as much you can as well. https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Quickstart_1-119_Guide

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

can prolly go into ve/e as a baby cor. I don't know much about cor beyond they are always wanted. But I think you need some gear to be part of the always wanted COR. Good choice though cause you'd have a bitch of a time getting gear for that warrior if you wanted to go as him unless you rmt'd gil and paid mercs. I can maybe do some zitah t1's for you for some gear. Just look up what you need and let me know. You'l also need to farm some silt.

Go through this as much you can as well. https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Quickstart_1-119_Guide

Heh, that was sort of why I leveled up COR. I'm Starve in the LS, and I'm still very clueless about anything if you want to have me tag along to do anything. In fact, all I've really done is level up jobs, collect trusts, and do story stuff.
That's how I'm sort of doing things; hence the story progression. Rajas Ring, Moonshade, etc were through story. I'm also doing the reforge stuff, but Ancient Beastcoins were a problem for me regarding gil, and I'm not really sure on the farming of Ancient Beastcoins.

Into the Ocean fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 24, 2018

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Just do limbus a couple times and always pick the loot chests and you'll have more coins than you'll ever use. Alternatively just skip that entirely and just upgrade using the extra pages since those are really easy to get in a group.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Male of the Century posted:

Just do limbus a couple times and always pick the loot chests and you'll have more coins than you'll ever use. Alternatively just skip that entirely and just upgrade using the extra pages since those are really easy to get in a group.

Pretty much this. The only reforged gear I'd take to +1 or +2 before ilv is relic because it saves you money and you should have enough of the forgotten currency if you do dynamis a few times.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Ilvl limbus would be great, so we'll get voidwatch instead.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
As a COR, the barataria ring is a nice find as you're slowly putting gear together. Your priority should be making your rolls as good as possible first, and then you can worry about actually doing damage. COR can get pretty sick the better you get with it, but it also is kind in that for starters people just want buffs out of it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

LiquidFriend posted:

Ilvl limbus would be great, so we'll get voidwatch instead.

Ilvl pankration. Soultrappers are in style again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Soultrapper is an apt description for this game.