Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Boiled Water posted:

Mission accomplished: you will never close anything, tickets closed will go straight to zero

yeah, last year I closed ~1000 bugs in tfs with code fixes for like ~1550. clearly the problem with our process is that there aren't enough fields in the bug tracker. Oh, the best part - let's make them mandatory fields, but make it so if you don't fill out the fields correctly the first time, the bug can never be saved. Let's not talk about workflow, or how certain fields are only valid in certain bug states, or how you can't just move a bug to closed or such and such arbitrary state, you have to change it to the mandated state (e.g. if a bug is active, you can't' just reassign it to yourself, you need to change it to fixed. then deployed, then reassign it to a tester, then mark it 'active' again, then mark yourself as a developer.)

right now I am actively trying to get laid off because I hear it's six months pay and a bonus. I swear to god it wasn't even this retarded two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

yeah, last year I closed ~1000 bugs in tfs with code fixes for like ~1550. clearly the problem with our process is that there aren't enough fields in the bug tracker. Oh, the best part - let's make them mandatory fields, but make it so if you don't fill out the fields correctly the first time, the bug can never be saved. Let's not talk about workflow, or how certain fields are only valid in certain bug states, or how you can't just move a bug to closed or such and such arbitrary state, you have to change it to the mandated state (e.g. if a bug is active, you can't' just reassign it to yourself, you need to change it to fixed. then deployed, then reassign it to a tester, then mark it 'active' again, then mark yourself as a developer.)

right now I am actively trying to get laid off because I hear it's six months pay and a bonus. I swear to god it wasn't even this retarded two years ago.

I see this all the time. It's a huge red flag for dysfunction, because it tells you that no one is talking.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Hello thread, I could use some help.

I am a former academic and self-taught programmer. I am (currently) the only tech guy in a pre-MVP sports data startup. Despite our early stage we have received investor interest and suddenly the scope of our product has massively grown. Instead of just building something myself, I now expect to be leading a team of 10 developers within the next 6 months. Having never worked in development outside academia, I obviously have a lot to learn. But I also have an opportunity to implement a process from scratch.

I'm learning a lot just reading this thread (although I haven't caught up yet) but I thought I'd skip to the end and ask if anyone has any resources they would recommend.

There's also the specific issue of coming up with development plans that satisfy our investors. They want to see a level of detail that is incongruous with agile as I understand it (e.g. mapping out the sprints for a year). I'll do that if I have to, emphasizing as much I can that these our forecasts not commitments. But I was wondering if anyone could suggest other ways of planning for development that would be more productive/realistic while also showing that I've put serious thought into the whole process.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I am a former academic and self-taught programmer. I am (currently) the only tech guy in a pre-MVP sports data startup. Despite our early stage we have received investor interest and suddenly the scope of our product has massively grown. Instead of just building something myself, I now expect to be leading a team of 10 developers within the next 6 months. Having never worked in development outside academia, I obviously have a lot to learn. But I also have an opportunity to implement a process from scratch.

I'm learning a lot just reading this thread (although I haven't caught up yet) but I thought I'd skip to the end and ask if anyone has any resources they would recommend.

There's also the specific issue of coming up with development plans that satisfy our investors. They want to see a level of detail that is incongruous with agile as I understand it (e.g. mapping out the sprints for a year). I'll do that if I have to, emphasizing as much I can that these our forecasts not commitments. But I was wondering if anyone could suggest other ways of planning for development that would be more productive/realistic while also showing that I've put serious thought into the whole process.

:rip:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

gently caress, I know.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

your actual next task is to find a new cto to replace you and to do most the hiring

you want somebody who's been in startupland for a long time and comes with drat good references, cuz gently caress if you know enough to grill them on technical stuff

this is compounded by the fact that your investors suck balls and you need to tell em to pound sand on the forecasts

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Plan out the first month, then extend that timeline to a year. Are the investors ok with that? If so, you might come out of this alive.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Man, I used to have a list of things people tend to forget about when they plan out their work, but I have lost it. It had come out of a fairly-popular book about software project planning. Anyways, my suggestion would have been to start to drum up a naive plan and then factor in that list of gotchas. It would include things like:

Having to do demos
Data migration
Ordering and working with new hardware
Testing out and trying new software frameworks
Paying technical debt
Situations where you have to interact with outside people; due to the communication overhead you have to draw out those activities because the turnaround will usually be long
Deployment
Ramping new people in general as well as on specific activities

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Engineers should be honest. We have to be, because we're the ones who have to deal with the reality of implementation. Computers in particular are too stupid to deceive, so only truthfulness can get anything done.

The investors want someone who will lie to them - and I stress that any attempt to forecast the timeline of an immature project farther than a few weeks is a lie - and you are going to set yourself up for abuse if you agree to become that person.

But the trick is that they don't really want lies. What they want is a feeling that you've got a plan, you're taking it seriously, you're not just snowing them, and they're used to getting those reassurances in the form of promises. You can try to give that to them in an honest way by quantifying your uncertainty.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

baquerd posted:

Plan out the first month, then extend that timeline to a year. Are the investors ok with that? If so, you might come out of this alive.

All deadlines are arbitrary. The investors will have to deal and you should push back.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Man, I used to have a list of things people tend to forget about when they plan out their work, but I have lost it. It had come out of a fairly-popular book about software project planning. Anyways, my suggestion would have been to start to drum up a naive plan and then factor in that list of gotchas. It would include things like:

Having to do demos
Data migration
Ordering and working with new hardware
Testing out and trying new software frameworks
Paying technical debt
Situations where you have to interact with outside people; due to the communication overhead you have to draw out those activities because the turnaround will usually be long
Deployment
Ramping new people in general as well as on specific activities

And then, after you account for all of these factors (and probably more), triple your time estimate before sharing it with anyone. It will always, always always take massively longer than you think, even when you account for all the extra crap most people forget or gloss over.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Also, when you say you don't have an MVP, does that mean you don't have a demo-able product ready to sell, or does that mean that your software doesn't exist in a way that an outsider could even try to use? If it's the latter, your absolute first priority (after hiring someone to replace you as CTO) should be to get your software up and running somewhere that others can see and use.

Doesn't matter what state it's in so long as someone can visit and login. I'm debating whether or not "logging in" should even be required (depends on your product, honestly).

The important aspect is that you work out the kinks in your deployment pipeline first, and develop features later.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Thanks, everyone.

vonnegutt posted:

Also, when you say you don't have an MVP, does that mean you don't have a demo-able product ready to sell, or does that mean that your software doesn't exist in a way that an outsider could even try to use? If it's the latter, your absolute first priority (after hiring someone to replace you as CTO) should be to get your software up and running somewhere that others can see and use.

Doesn't matter what state it's in so long as someone can visit and login. I'm debating whether or not "logging in" should even be required (depends on your product, honestly).

The important aspect is that you work out the kinks in your deployment pipeline first, and develop features later.

It's closer to the former, but really somewhere in-between. Short story is that I developed some unique sports analytics algorithms. I've made several dashboard interfaces as demos. My co-founder has industry connections, showed them to some people, and got incredibly positive feedback. Almost everyone we talked to wanted to give us money as an investor or customer. However, in order to sell the product in this market we need not only data analytics but also data collection (machine vision). Which is certainly doable but we're essentially starting from zero on this aspect of the product. I mean, we've done a lot of research and we have a couple of advisors who are experts in this area. One of them is bringing in proofs of concept of some of the steps involved but we have a ways to go to piece it all together, link it up with the analytics, make an attractive frontend, etc.

So, I guess we have some demos, but we don't have anything that could be called a "deployment pipeline".

Bongo Bill posted:

But the trick is that they don't really want lies. What they want is a feeling that you've got a plan, you're taking it seriously, you're not just snowing them, and they're used to getting those reassurances in the form of promises. You can try to give that to them in an honest way by quantifying your uncertainty.

Yeah, this is how I've understood the situation. They asked for a detailed account of what the engineers will be working on because they don't know what else to ask for. My push-back got a mixed response; I think they get it, but for them to be satisfied I need to show them something else. All the planning I've done is engineering-heavy (e.g. data flow diagrams), now I need to do more process-oriented planning. Which is why I'm here. Quantifying uncertainty makes sense--are there any established techniques or resources that you would recommend?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Thanks for the list.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

your actual next task is to find a new cto to replace you and to do most the hiring

you want somebody who's been in startupland for a long time and comes with drat good references, cuz gently caress if you know enough to grill them on technical stuff

this is compounded by the fact that your investors suck balls and you need to tell em to pound sand on the forecasts

Yeah, I've already been pushing for a new CTO but my co-founder is reluctant to admit any inadequacy of the founding team. It still could happen but I have to plan for the possibility that it won't. My current plan is to hire two experienced team leaders ASAP and then redo much of the planning with them, give them control over hiring, etc. I'll have to strike the right balance between competence and humility, but we've got the money to offer a real salary, we're in a sexy industry, and we have some big names as early investors, so we should be able to find some talent.

In the meantime I still have time to cram as much learning as possible into the next few months while the pieces fall into place. If anyone has recommendations for books, tools, etc. that would be appreciated.

I'll just say that I know I'm unprepared. I know that this will be difficult and will not go as planned. I know that despite all that I'm surely underestimating the difficulty. I'm not some startup bro that thinks they can do anything because everyone tells me I'm smart. I'm humble and cautious, to a fault. I hope that this awareness will help in some small way or at least provide the opportunity to mitigate the problems we'll face by preparing in the meantime. This thing has just grown and grown. I've been riding the brakes the whole way, but I can't stop the momentum.

I guess PM me if anyone is generous enough with their time to have an in-depth conversation. Or if I haven't scared you off....we're hiring. :homebrew:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Bongo Bill posted:

The investors want someone who will lie to them - and I stress that any attempt to forecast the timeline of an immature project farther than a few weeks is a lie - and you are going to set yourself up for abuse if you agree to become that person.

That reminds me, we gave a week-to-week plan for the next year and a half recently, on something that is in the process of being actively researched :suicide:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I guess PM me if anyone is generous enough with their time to have an in-depth conversation. Or if I haven't scared you off....we're hiring. :homebrew:
What are you looking for, where are you located and would you pay for relocation and visa stuff if needed?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Weve got a new member of our team! Shes a newbie engineer who is currently learning Ruby and getting used to working in development...Im making sure to keep an eye on her, but Im worried about a newbie junior coming into our project and getting overwhelmed, especially as their first job/exposure to development. Ive been a newbie myself and its super tough. What can I do to help a newbie besides talk to them, make sure theyre involved, and give them time and space to grow? Im worried that the managers/C-levels are going to be like shes not productive enough, get rid of her and completely fail to understand the point of signing on a junior or newbie.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Weve got a new member of our team! Shes a newbie engineer who is currently learning Ruby and getting used to working in development...Im making sure to keep an eye on her, but Im worried about a newbie junior coming into our project and getting overwhelmed, especially as their first job/exposure to development. Ive been a newbie myself and its super tough. What can I do to help a newbie besides talk to them, make sure theyre involved, and give them time and space to grow? Im worried that the managers/C-levels are going to be like shes not productive enough, get rid of her and completely fail to understand the point of signing on a junior or newbie.

Are you her manager or team lead? If not, all you can do is make sure she knows you're available to help and mentor her.

If her manager has unrealistic expectations, there is literally nothing you can do about it.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

When we got a newb at my last job, I had only been there 6 months so was still new to it myself. I spent time sharing my experiences with getting things up to speed and helping guide her away from some of the most tedius work by pointing her to the updated team docs I had written/updated as I went through those pains. That really helped bring her up to speed with our entire development process, but also our team/manager knew not to give her any big tasks the first few months she was there. I actually got lots of positive feedback from my manager saying that the team had noticed and appreciated the time and effort I spent on mentoring her and how fast she was able to dive right in compared to previous new hires.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Also remember that VCs tend to promise you money and seem interested, but you won't see a dime until you have paying customers and success is pretty much guaranteed. So if that cash isn't in the bank already, don't get too excited about it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Lumpy posted:

Also remember that VCs tend to promise you money and seem interested, but you won't see a dime until you have paying customers and success is pretty much guaranteed. So if that cash isn't in the bank already, don't get too excited about it.

you could also be a kid from stanford or harvard or sometimes some berkeley eecs kids

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you could also be a kid from stanford or harvard or sometimes some berkeley eecs kids

I am unable to parse the sentence in relation to my post... what does it mean?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Well-connected kids at good schools can sometimes get insane amounts of money just thrown at them for impossible projects, cf Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

a foolish pianist posted:

Well-connected kids at good schools can sometimes get insane amounts of money just thrown at them for impossible projects, cf Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos.

Ahh, thank you.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

First round is in the bank and they're already leading a push for more. Yeah, it doesn't jive with everything I know about startups and I was skeptical through the whole process that it would really happen. But here we are. Not sure exactly but I imagine the incongruity with typical VC behavior has to do with the fact that we're not in the US. Startup culture seems to be about a decade behind here.

We're well-connected in the industry but not at all with the SV world.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

a foolish pianist posted:

not even that well-connected, tbh. lots of seed vc's who see a stanford name and look twice at your application, even if it comes in the slush pile

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
There's a(t least one) VC who set up shop across the street from stanford. They hire attractive recent grads to go network at events and grab startups before they graduate/drop out. The "well-connected" bar is "are you leaving your dorm"

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I just realized I took a technical writing class in college and they didn't teach TeX. Is that weird? Because I'm teaching myself TeX right now and I'm not sure I could ever look back.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

TeX is not very big outside math-heavy academic writing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SardonicTyrant posted:

I just realized I took a technical writing class in college and they didn't teach TeX. Is that weird? Because I'm teaching myself TeX right now and I'm not sure I could ever look back.

Paolomania posted:

TeX is not very big outside math-heavy academic writing.

also I thought technical writing was more about what you put in the document rather than how you put it in

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Yeah, most people aren't super big on opaque, difficult languages that have to be compiled seven or eight times in a row to finally converge on the right output formatting

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I think we've spoken before about red flags in job postings in this thread (or one of the very similar other ones :) ) and I saw on Twitter what I think may be the worst job posting in the world.

Behold!

There's so many red flags that it could be an example post to people getting in the industry :allears:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Despite our early stage we have received investor interest and suddenly the scope of our product has massively grown.

:negative:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

There's a(t least one) VC who set up shop across the street from stanford. They hire attractive recent grads to go network at events and grab startups before they graduate/drop out. The "well-connected" bar is "are you leaving your dorm"

Sand hill road is across the street from the Stanford golf course

A plurality of all major vc is across the road from Stanford. Maybe a mile down the road

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 18, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shirec posted:

I think we've spoken before about red flags in job postings in this thread (or one of the very similar other ones :) ) and I saw on Twitter what I think may be the worst job posting in the world.

Behold!

There's so many red flags that it could be an example post to people getting in the industry :allears:

That's... unedited?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Munkeymon posted:

That's... unedited?

Straight from a LinkedIn job posting https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/make-it-rain-cloud-consultant-platform-architect-at-mongoose-gray-622156586/

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
That was REALLY hard to read. At least the pay wasn't $50k or something. I'm so used to seeing ridiculously stupid job ads followed by ridiculously stupid salary.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Shirec posted:

Behold!

:wtc:
I cant even

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
The most shocking thing is the salary in AUD, implying that this bullshit has made its way outside of Silicon Valley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

BabyFur Denny posted:

The most shocking thing is the salary in AUD, implying that this bullshit has made its way outside of Silicon Valley

Every tech sector in every country is doing this poo poo. When I interviewed at a Munich startup it was for a Ninja Devops position :/