Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Jose posted:

I stopped reading a libertarian

Why stop? They usually deserve a sizzling read, hunty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
MY KIDS SPEAK CHINESE is like the new packaging for I HAVE BLACK FRIENDS.

Like I get how he hates the loving commies (get in line) but his way of being dismissive makes me cringe. And I grew up as a Hong Konger in Canada/USA - poo poo on anything related to the mainland yet mostly clueless about the country.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
lmao at anybody who lives in California or Texas and teaches their kid Chinese but not Spanish

Don't you want that little fucker to eat good food?!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

lmao at anybody who lives in California or Texas and teaches their kid Chinese but not Spanish

Don't you want that little fucker to eat good food?!

Gesticulating wildly at menu with pictures while holding locally accepted currency requires no formal education

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

caberham posted:

MY KIDS SPEAK CHINESE is like the new packaging for I HAVE BLACK FRIENDS.

Like I get how he hates the loving commies (get in line) but his way of being dismissive makes me cringe. And I grew up as a Hong Konger in Canada/USA - poo poo on anything related to the mainland yet mostly clueless about the country.

communism is good m8

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

$20 says his new job is sociology researcher at a swanky tokyo uni

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The dude is really fixed on habits around standing in line as a proxy for whether mainlanders value human life, too

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i bet he actually reveled in the chaos and loved cutting in line

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Booty Pageant posted:

He’s a libertarian, he doesn’t value human life

So this checks out

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Booty Pageant posted:

Ugh.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
boy of all the things i expected to trigger people in that post, the word 'libertarian' was not really one of them

like he really does not come off as a GUVMINT shithead, he comes off as someone who likes fewer laws than most people, primarily. i'm sure i would find a lot to roll my eyes at him over if i had dinner with him but his primary complaints aren't the specific problems (he points out he knew most of that crap would be a problem going in), but the degree to which those problems are entrenched and the trend that's happening. the big trend he's spending a ton of time wringing his hands over is that the CCP's china was always an authoritarian, orwellian hellhole and in the last 5 years they've been doing nothing but doubling down on that and a grand total of zero people with standing are talking about it.

caberham posted:

Poor people trapped in a competitive yet rigged system of crushing poverty would value money over everything else. Surprise surprise.
he literally says "i rationalize this as" and literally points out that since a person has no inherent value and the law boils down to "whatever the rear end in a top hat in front of you says at the time" there's no point in being polite or pleasant, and furthermore, NOT being polite or pleasant itself is an act of rebellion against that lovely situation.

truthfully the post, particularly the full one, reads a hell of a lot like haier's last "escape from china" post where he basically said the all-encompassing government had crushed all soul and culture that didn't directly suit them and it immersing yourself all of that was about the most toxic thing you could do to yourself. the dude would probably fit in posting in this thread since he goes out of his way to talk about the CCP being poo poo and that's the primary reason society is poo poo, rather than the Chinese just being orcs.

like i don't find it at all coincidental that the chinese memes we clown on most in here are loads of horseshit the CCP instituted for its own purposes. even allopathic medicine had a lot more penetration in china prior to the concerted campaign by the CCP to promote TCM as a better, chinese-ier alternative to pig-dog western medicine (the fact that it is cheaper to provide quackery and slogans is completely coincidental, guys, for real). "hot water good for healthy" wouldn't even be a thing we could meme at each other in this thread without the CCP being pretty much objectively the most lovely group of people on the planet.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 18, 2018

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-44844937

:thunk:

If you thought the Montenegro highway was bad

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Coolguye posted:

boy of all the things i expected to trigger people in that post, the word 'libertarian' was not really one of them

It's right up at the top to tell you his opinion is worthless.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Is this your first time reading the forums on something awful dot com?

Edit: *stumbles into thread out of breath* Randroid! Did anybody say Randroid yet???

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is this your first time reading the forums on something awful dot com?

Edit: *stumbles into thread out of breath* Randroid! Did anybody say Randroid yet???

it's more that i counted a half dozen other things to trigger people more particular to this thread

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Coolguye posted:

it's more that i counted a half dozen other things to trigger people more particular to this thread

The lack of proofreading in the post triggered me a lot more.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

noun-verb agreement is v important this is true

i found myself rereading a couple sentences because i thought i was missing something but naw the writing just kinda sucks

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Coolguye posted:

he goes out of his way to talk about the CCP being poo poo and that's the primary reason society is poo poo, rather than the Chinese just being orcs.

cool racism buddy

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Is it true that the Chinese successfully made a handheld laser gun that can cause second degree burns from half a mile and can fire 1000 times? I read that recently and it sounded kick rear end to finally have laser guns in the world, but I know china’s government is a dirty liar.

Also I recently watched a very long series on the Vietnam War. I know the communists are still in control there these days, but I never hear anything about Vietnam. Is Vietnam an okay place nowadays? Or does it suck like China?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Shenzhen is chatoic :laffo: If he was in Harbin, northern China, or even Beijing he would have cracked ages ago. When it comes to everyday life and dealing with bureaucratic bullshit, Shenzhen and Shanghai is nothing. Heck China changes so fast every 5 years, you can see it in the younger generation. The rapid urbanization going on in China is insane. Small quality of life things - younger people actually wear head phones, people don't litter as much (still a big problem), they line up, subways etiquette and even freaking escalator etiquette. But because the population is so big, it's still super easy to see that nongs being nongs or your blue collar diao-si being dumb.

I used to hate Shenzhen, there are still parts of Shenzhen like the luohu border should be glassed and placed a lot of blames to the party. But I have seen over my life time the city improving - not because of the one party system but actually enforcing regulation, laws and bureaucracy. Funny enough each time I'm in Shenzhen with Fart simpson life is actually pretty laid back and chill. We don't see crazy Chinese uncles, crazy expat ranter, or all the China meme poo poo at all. However, when there's another friend with us we easily witness the terrible side of everyday China life - white expat sexual harassment and drunken douchebags, bitter uncles, street pissing, bad traffic accidents, the works.

Coolguye posted:

like he really does not come off as a GUVMINT shithead, he comes off as someone who likes fewer laws than most people, primarily. i'm sure i would find a lot to roll my eyes at him over if i had dinner with him but his primary complaints aren't the specific problems (he points out he knew most of that crap would be a problem going in), but the degree to which those problems are entrenched and the trend that's happening. the big trend he's spending a ton of time wringing his hands over is that the CCP's china was always an authoritarian, orwellian hellhole and in the last 5 years they've been doing nothing but doubling down on that and a grand total of zero people with standing are talking about it.

he literally says "i rationalize this as" and literally points out that since a person has no inherent value and the law boils down to "whatever the rear end in a top hat in front of you says at the time" there's no point in being polite or pleasant

truthfully the post, particularly the full one, reads a hell of a lot like haier's last "escape from china" post where he basically said the all-encompassing government had crushed all soul and culture that didn't directly suit them and it immersing yourself all of that was about the most toxic thing you could do to yourself. the dude would probably fit in posting in this thread since he goes out of his way to talk about the CCP being poo poo and that's the primary reason society is poo poo, rather than the Chinese just being orcs.

like i don't find it at all coincidental that the chinese memes we clown on most in here are loads of horseshit the CCP instituted for its own purposes. even allopathic medicine had a lot more penetration in china prior to the concerted campaign by the CCP to promote TCM as a better, chinese-ier alternative to pig-dog western medicine (the fact that it is cheaper to provide quackery and slogans is completely coincidental, guys, for real). "hot water good for healthy" wouldn't even be a thing we could meme at each other in this thread without the CCP being pretty much objectively the most lovely group of people on the planet.

Quackery also exists among the Chinese in the commonwealth, Hong Kong, Singapore, Traditional Korean Medicine, and Japan where it's called Han Medicine. Oh and it's also quite common in Taiwan, the bastion of anti-CCP where people believe hot water good for healthy. Japan and Korea gets a pass because they actually like having ice cold water. Singapore and Hong Kong still heavily fund TCM :suicide: It's more of an ignorant older generation thing, and yes CCP did stir the poo poo pot quite a bit. They get credit, but not all of it.

A lot of his criticisms is just so broad and so basic I just roll my eyes. It's as reductionist as Haier's FACE CULTURE IS POISON that makes me groan. Or like a taxi driver complaining. Not standing in line (which is actually changing for the past 15 years, it's still there but not as bad) a CCP related thing? Go to South East Asia and Africa :fuckoff:

For instance, Governments in China are corrupt and inept because the selection process is weak, opaque, the pay is extremely low so they need corruption to survive - and the CCP is being poo poo for that is a much better and convincing point than just "boogey man CCP". Yes we know it's bad (that's a given), but we should know how, why, and which areas are bad. Because we all know, the government in China is bloated as heck, pays poo poo, is sometimes super efficient and deadly and lethal, yet at other times can Cha Bu Duo through life. Even when MSS reads all your posts and records, they are unrefined brutes doing documentation. An extremely annoying reality of life people in China live through is that we know the government can solve a lot of petty crime and everyday issues, but choose not to out of laziness and contempt.

The unspoken contract is that the government should and would reform day to day inane operations and maintain economic illusion stability. Man putting these few paragraphs is taking me forever :smith:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Skeleton King posted:

Is Vietnam an okay place nowadays? Or does it suck like China?

Life there is extremely similar to China. Vietnam was always a Chinese colony :downsrim:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JczAz5h0kqs&t=436s

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

Shenzhen is chatoic :laffo: If he was in Harbin, northern China, or even Beijing he would have cracked ages ago. When it comes to everyday life and dealing with bureaucratic bullshit, Shenzhen and Shanghai is nothing. Heck China changes so fast every 5 years, you can see it in the younger generation. The rapid urbanization going on in China is insane. Small quality of life things - younger people actually wear head phones, people don't litter as much (still a big problem), they line up, subways etiquette and even freaking escalator etiquette. But because the population is so big, it's still super easy to see that nongs being nongs or your blue collar diao-si being dumb.

I used to hate Shenzhen, there are still parts of Shenzhen like the luohu border should be glassed and placed a lot of blames to the party. But I have seen over my life time the city improving - not because of the one party system but actually enforcing regulation, laws and bureaucracy. Funny enough each time I'm in Shenzhen with Fart simpson life is actually pretty laid back and chill. We don't see crazy Chinese uncles, crazy expat ranter, or all the China meme poo poo at all. However, when there's another friend with us we easily witness the terrible side of everyday China life - white expat sexual harassment and drunken douchebags, bitter uncles, street pissing, bad traffic accidents, the works.

Quackery also exists among the Chinese in the commonwealth, Hong Kong, Singapore, Traditional Korean Medicine, and Japan where it's called Han Medicine. Oh and it's also quite common in Taiwan, the bastion of anti-CCP where people believe hot water good for healthy. Japan and Korea gets a pass because they actually like having ice cold water. Singapore and Hong Kong still heavily fund TCM :suicide: It's more of an ignorant older generation thing, and yes CCP did stir the poo poo pot quite a bit. They get credit, but not all of it.

A lot of his criticisms is just so broad and so basic I just roll my eyes. It's as reductionist as Haier's FACE CULTURE IS POISON that makes me groan. Or like a taxi driver complaining. Not standing in line (which is actually changing for the past 15 years, it's still there but not as bad) a CCP related thing? Go to South East Asia and Africa :fuckoff:

For instance, Governments in China are corrupt and inept because the selection process is weak, opaque, the pay is extremely low so they need corruption to survive - and the CCP is being poo poo for that is a much better and convincing point than just "boogey man CCP". Yes we know it's bad (that's a given), but we should know how, why, and which areas are bad. Because we all know, the government in China is bloated as heck, pays poo poo, is sometimes super efficient and deadly and lethal, yet at other times can Cha Bu Duo through life. Even when MSS reads all your posts and records, they are unrefined brutes doing documentation. An extremely annoying reality of life people in China live through is that we know the government can solve a lot of petty crime and everyday issues, but choose not to out of laziness and contempt.

The unspoken contract is that the government should and would reform day to day inane operations and maintain economic illusion stability. Man putting these few paragraphs is taking me forever :smith:

nice whataboutism

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

nice whataboutism

Thanks, buy me dinner pls! It's more than wumao

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

Thanks, buy me dinner pls! It's more than wumao

nice wumaoboutism

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Skeleton King posted:

Is it true that the Chinese successfully made a handheld laser gun that can cause second degree burns from half a mile and can fire 1000 times? I read that recently and it sounded kick rear end to finally have laser guns in the world, but I know china’s government is a dirty liar.

they might have done but this is not technologically impressive. US and Canadian firms were manufacturing lasers that could literally cook a person's eyes out of their sockets in under 2 seconds from something like 2000 ft away in 2003. they treated skin only slightly more charitably. and then they were selling them online for 150 bucks a pop. i'd have to go back through IRC logs to get the particulars but i know a bunch of people were losing their minds over this new and dangerous way to cause grievous injury to people that was totally unregulated.

of course, the catch was that these lasers were stopped absolutely dead by the revolutionary inventions in personal protection known as sunglasses and the cotton long sleeved shirt. if you really wanted to be tacticool you could also put on leather gloves. and boy howdy if you're wearing one of those dorky V for Vendetta masks then you're basically EOD.

even in the context of suppressing rioting crowds it's more effective to just use tear gas and water cannons. so hey if the CCP wants to spend more of its idiot funbux on making a science fair project for face then go ahead but it's not really that impressive or helpful.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Coolguye posted:

they might have done but this is not technologically impressive. US and Canadian firms were manufacturing lasers that could literally cook a person's eyes out of their sockets in under 2 seconds from something like 2000 ft away in 2003. they treated skin only slightly more charitably. and then they were selling them online for 150 bucks a pop. i'd have to go back through IRC logs to get the particulars but i know a bunch of people were losing their minds over this new and dangerous way to cause grievous injury to people that was totally unregulated.

of course, the catch was that these lasers were stopped absolutely dead by the revolutionary inventions in personal protection known as sunglasses and the cotton long sleeved shirt. if you really wanted to be tacticool you could also put on leather gloves. and boy howdy if you're wearing one of those dorky V for Vendetta masks then you're basically EOD.

even in the context of suppressing rioting crowds it's more effective to just use tear gas and water cannons. so hey if the CCP wants to spend more of its idiot funbux on making a science fair project for face then go ahead but it's not really that impressive or helpful.

Yeah I read that they found a way to make the laser ignite most clothing fabrics instantly. It sounds neat but I agree it’s probably not much of a game changer. From the article I read the Chinese apparently want to use it in hostage situations by using it to light suspects on fire and burn the poo poo out of them so they can’t kill hostages. Sounds silly to me.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Woah what is this thread

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Over There posted:

Woah what is this thread

Do u know?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Over There posted:

Woah what is this thread
most famous thread on the forums. surely you will take a picture to prove it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

lighting clothing on fire in short order like that requires a hell of a lot more energy than causing second degree burns. you would definitely have a cauterized wound with multiple layers of skin cooked off if you're throwing that much energy around.

consider that the temperature at which cotton ignites is 210C. now on a super hot day you're looking at a cotton surface being, eh, let's say 60C (140F). specific heat of cotton is about 1.5 J/gC, so on the naive interpretation we're looking at 150 * 1.5 = 225 J to raise one gram of cotton enough to ignite. that's not much; there are multiple kilojoule lasers out there. this is basically where idiots who talk about laser weaponry expect people to get to, nod sagely, and stop. clearly, laser rifles are not far off.

the problem is that the laser isn't some crazy syringe that just injects energy at long distances, it uses heat transference via energetic wave, and that is one loving hell of a big topic. in order not to get into an outrageously spergy science post in the china thread, i'd encourage you to just look at the first equation on that page. the constant you're working with in terms of heat transmission is expressed as 5.637 * 10^-8, and it's multiplied by the number of square meters of the radiating entity (which, as a laser pinprick, is also going to be some poo poo * 10^-a lot). remember that for the purposes of a laser rifle, small numbers here are bad.

NOW consider that you also need to have this be such an overwhelming shot of energy that it needs to raise the target surface by that 150C in under 100ms or so in order to get actual effect on the target. THAT goes into the instantaneous heat transfer rate, which is another glaze-your-eyes-over topic that involves a lot more small numbers.

the point here is that you need way more than 225J to set some poo poo on fire in a way that looks like star wars or whatever. even 22.5 kJ might not cut it. i haven't done the math to figure out precisely what's needed and i don't intend to , i can just plug in a few constants and know that the input power here needs to be gigantic to perform as advertised.

whenever someone talks to you about laser guns, ask them to show you the battery and capacitor tech that's allowing someone to wield enough energy to light up a house.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Piece about trade war and China's debt. Probably only interesting to people interested in economics but I am not an economist so I cannot comment.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-07-17/trump-s-trade-war-may-spark-a-chinese-debt-crisis

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Economist" is right up there with "as a libertarian" in warnings to take everything written with a grain of salt.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sten Freak posted:

Piece about trade war and China's debt. Probably only interesting to people interested in economics but I am not an economist so I cannot comment.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-07-17/trump-s-trade-war-may-spark-a-chinese-debt-crisis

my biggest problem with that article is this statement:

quote:

Many analysts point out that the Chinese government owns everything, including the banks, and can just issue renminbi to infinity to keep the economy solvent. The flaw in that argument is China’s role in the global economy: It’s the world’s biggest exporter and second-biggest importer. The currency acts as the interface between the domestic and international economies, and its value is a matter of supply and demand.
this is pretty much exactly what china has been doing for close to two decades now. the entire reason you hear a bunch of politicians yelling and screaming about how china is a currency manipulator and should be labeled as such is precisely because they have been printing RMB at a rate that exceeds the 'quantitative easing' USD-printing tactics of the Fed post 2008 since something like 2003. the fed's since stopped that poo poo, but china keeps doing it. they keep being able to do it because the rest of the world isn't willing to call bullshit and trigger what would probably turn into a collapse and power vacuum that would endanger literal billions of people - and therefore endanger the status quo that got these politicians their jobs. this is also why politicians suddenly STOP yelling about this poo poo after they get some senior office.

until china does something that affects the status quo on that level, swallowing the economic bullshit will remain preferable to policymakers.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

lighting clothing on fire in short order like that requires a hell of a lot more energy than causing second degree burns. you would definitely have a cauterized wound with multiple layers of skin cooked off if you're throwing that much energy around.

consider that the temperature at which cotton ignites is 210C. now on a super hot day you're looking at a cotton surface being, eh, let's say 60C (140F). specific heat of cotton is about 1.5 J/gC, so on the naive interpretation we're looking at 150 * 1.5 = 225 J to raise one gram of cotton enough to ignite. that's not much; there are multiple kilojoule lasers out there. this is basically where idiots who talk about laser weaponry expect people to get to, nod sagely, and stop. clearly, laser rifles are not far off.

the problem is that the laser isn't some crazy syringe that just injects energy at long distances, it uses heat transference via energetic wave, and that is one loving hell of a big topic. in order not to get into an outrageously spergy science post in the china thread, i'd encourage you to just look at the first equation on that page. the constant you're working with in terms of heat transmission is expressed as 5.637 * 10^-8, and it's multiplied by the number of square meters of the radiating entity (which, as a laser pinprick, is also going to be some poo poo * 10^-a lot). remember that for the purposes of a laser rifle, small numbers here are bad.

NOW consider that you also need to have this be such an overwhelming shot of energy that it needs to raise the target surface by that 150C in under 100ms or so in order to get actual effect on the target. THAT goes into the instantaneous heat transfer rate, which is another glaze-your-eyes-over topic that involves a lot more small numbers.

the point here is that you need way more than 225J to set some poo poo on fire in a way that looks like star wars or whatever. even 22.5 kJ might not cut it. i haven't done the math to figure out precisely what's needed and i don't intend to , i can just plug in a few constants and know that the input power here needs to be gigantic to perform as advertised.

whenever someone talks to you about laser guns, ask them to show you the battery and capacitor tech that's allowing someone to wield enough energy to light up a house.

The article from CNN said they claim it uses a lithium ion battery about the size of a common assault rifle magazine. I don’t know laser engineering, but I do know enough to have a very light understanding of what you are talking about, namely the fact that you need absurd amounts of energy to do anything worthwhile with a laser weapon.

So yeah, as I thought the Chinese are full of poo poo. I don’t know poo poo about laser engineering, but I was also skeptical when they said the power source was so small. Unless there’s some wizardry you can do to get more power out of less fuel I’m assuming they’re full of poo poo.

But I do have a question for you, laser man. If you can start fires with a magnifying glass and sunlight, why does a laser have so much trouble doing the same thing? How does sunlight have so much power compared to a laser? It can’t just be from the light itself, right? I get that the sun is a pretty drat big energy source, but there must be more to it, right?

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 18, 2018

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
took my family to Tokyo Disneyland last weekend, lots of people but had a great time. which got me thinking, "I wonder how Shanghai Disneyland is doing?"

welcome to another round of TGA's "lol check out this TripAdvisor meltdown about how terrible Shanghai Disneyland is"!

source: https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Attraction_Review-g308272-d10383031-Reviews-Shanghai_Disneyland-Shanghai.html

quote:

Disappointing Disney (and AWFUL Viator) experience
The Park was new and nice, yet it was very disappointing. Be prepared to queue for hours for rides and not to use FastPass unless you want to pay extra for it, as they give out a limited quantity for free, and then charge around $50 per person for a few FastPass tickets.

Employees are NOT what you expect when comparing them to other international parks. Be prepared for very rude and offensive behavior from guests. We experienced a fist-fight between a woman and a female park employee which lasted for several minutes while management and security sat by and watched.

DO NOT BUY ON VIATOR. we made this mistake and the day before we were supposed to go, they canceled our tickets due to “park at capacity.” We then found out that they would sell our tickets back to us for $25 per person. We were all the way in China, so we did, but got taken advantage of. Save your time and money and go to Tokyo Disney if you want an Asian Disney experience!

did this guy not realize he was in china or something? lol

quote:

Shanghai Disneyland
There are many reviews on how terrible Shanghai Disneyland is, but it is actually quite enjoyable if you know how to go around the issues. Firstly, to make it clear, the place is not dirty as some reviews mentioned, it is actually quite clean with the army of cleaners present. Language barrier there is for foreign visitors, as most of the staff do not speak anything else other than Mandarin, but with the bulk of the visitors being locals, I guess they don't see the need to recruit many English or other languages speaking staff. It's no different from being in Tokyo where most people speak Japanese or in Switzerland, where French or German are mainly spoken, a visitor just have to learn to get by using hand signals and pointing at pictures in the guide booklets or pamphlets. Yes, the queues for rides are exceptionally long but the locals go around it by purchasing fast pass tickets from online agents, which depending on the price, could even include a tour guide for completing Disneyland Shanghai's rides in the shortest possible time. For my visit, the longest ride queuing time on a weekday was about 20 minutes. In comparison, the regular queues took as long as 2.5 hours. Although many complained about the prices of food and drinks, I find them comparable to other tourist attractions. Moreover, 60 yuan digital vouchers could be purchased online from Taobao to pay for meals that costs 80 yuan at the cash register. That represent a 25% discount for a good tasty meal with drinks included. I thought the Chinese are quite innovative and they find ways to go around rules in the most creative ways and in turn, facilitate visitors who are in the know to really enjoy Disneyland Shanghai in a most leisurely manner. Obviously, those who do not know will be disadvantaged. In comparison, Tokyo Disneyland where rules are strictly followed, the long queues often turn off people with lower patience threshold. Do note that unlike Disneyland Parks elsewhere, there's no "Small, Small World" ride in Disneyland Shanghai, but don't miss "Pirates of the Carribean", it's really enjoyable. I would also recommend staying at the Toy Story Hotel near the Park instead of travelling all the way from the City to Disneyland.

actually, Shanghai Disneyland is great because it offers you numerous opportunities to break the rules, unlike that horrific place Tokyo Disneyland, where rules are "strictly followed".

quote:

Disneyland with a serious problem
Reading all the review about Shanghai Disneyland, we tried to be savvy: spent two days in the park, Wednesday and Thursday... both are on weekdays. Arrived 30 minutes before the park gate open. We bought the ticket on line to cut the queue. We downloaded SD apps on our mobile phones as well. And what we got?
On both days, we missed the fastpass for Soaring, Roaring and Seven Dwarfs! How could that happen? By the time our ticket valid (meaning we passed the entrance gate), around 8.15, the fastpass for those 3 attractions is gone! It was unbelievable. It happened exactly the same on the second day. By 8.15, the fastpass for those favorite three were no more available. Fastpass left were Tron and Pirates of Carribbean. So disappointing! Something must be very very wrong with the fastpass system.
Having no choice, we had to wait 180+ minutes for each favorite attraction. So, for 1 day in the park, we can only try 3 attractions, 2 musical shows plus the fireworks. Some attractions is so swift: Tron is only 60 second-ride.. does it worth 120 minute waiting time? I do hope it is not the strategy of the SD management.
The bright side of this park are: cleanliness, some English-spoken staff, well kept, the variety of attractions and the number of restaurants. Although the restaurants mostly cater for local guests, but the taste is acceptable.
Some local people tried to push us and overtaking the line during queuing. And some local men also offered us assistance to shortcutting the long queue for 100 RMB. We are not sure how he do it.
In narrowest, SD is definitely NOT the happiest place on earth. Although the park still has some positive aspects, if you still wish to visit SD, you need a huge patience as huge as the park itself.

person confused about china being china

quote:

The least magical experience we've had so far
We have been to Disney World, Disneyland, Paris Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland. This was my least favorite experience of them all and unless you really wanted to visit all Disney properties I would say you could skip this one.

First of all it was very crowded. The line to enter the park was very long and although there weren't many people in line we had to walk probably a half mile to even get to the front of the line (could have easily closed off some of the lines so everyone didn't go back and forth). Cast members (employees) didn't seem Disney friendly and the guests here seemed to be the rudest/pushiest of any I've seen. We literally had to hold people back from cutting in front of us in line and spent at least 3-4 rides in the two days we were there feeling as though there were people crawling up our backs trying to get by us in line (NO personal space). Obviously this depends on who is there that day but it's the most uncomfortable I've ever been traveling throughout Asia or any other country.

In addition, the park was extremely dirty. Generally Disney everything is picked up within moments of being put down but everywhere we went and every ride we went on people seemed to just set dirty glasses/bottles/napkins/trash down and it really just seemed disappointing/dirty compared to any Disney experience I've ever had.

My husband and I joked that maybe this wasn't really a Disney park because of our disappointment in all the small details that Disney usually has down to a science. I'm glad I visited as I LOVE Disney and it is fun to compare but I will not have this on my list to return to. Tokyo Disney on the other hand I can't wait to go back there so if you're picking a park in Asia my preference would be Tokyo 1st, then Hong Kong Disney and then if you had to go because it was your only option, Shanghai Disney.... otherwise your money would be much better spent elsewhere. We did say if we were to do it again that we would only come for one day and stay in the city/come by train and then pay the expensive fee to skip the lines/have a guide to get through all the rides and be done.

quote:

Shanghai disneyland trip
Its my first time at disneyland shanghai.. surprisingly its clean unlike what i heard. Just that the locals love to cut queue.. its very annoying.. i think like 90% of the visitor is locals.

quote:

Not Magical at all!!!
We traveled to China to visit the last two Disneyland parks. We researched ALOT on Shanghai Disneyland and felt we were prepared for the crowds. We came an hour early before opening on a weekday.

We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel with the “secret “ entrance which was a huge help because I could see the crowds from our hotel and they started lining up at 7 when the park opened at 9.

We had 1 fast pass per ticket per day reserved by being a hotel guest. We chose Seven Dwarf one day and Soaring the next as the concierge advised they “ sell out” of Fastpasses every day by 9 :30 or 10. That was true both days for us.

Despite the preparation, I was shocked at what happened. When we lined up to enter is when I saw everyone (mostly Chinese) on their phones on the App waiting to enter the park to get Fastpasses and premier access. As soon as we turned the turnstiles into the park the race was on!!!! People booking and buying passes while RUNNING at top speed. I have been to all Disneyland parks now and I have NEVER seen people act so crazy!!!

I too logged on to get a fast pass and realized at 8:57 most rides were “ unavailable “ meaning sold out. I heard a noise, looked over and saw literally thousands of Chinese people running at me to get to Tron. We walked faster and by the time I made the 3 minute walk there was an hour wait!!!!!

It was obvious this day would be miserable if I didn’t do the Premier Access. I logged into the app and dropped $300 to get Fastpasses for 6 or 8 rides. If it weren’t for that money spent we may have ridden 3 things in 2 days. Three-4 hours per ride was common. Waiting in line is also a test of survival. Cutting, pushing, shoving, talking loudly, eating, spitting, staring and pointing( I’m white and my kids are Asian) made lines unbearable!!!

If you can’t spring for the Premier, you must do Tron and Pirates ( completely unlike other Disneyland pirates rides). The Alice in Wonderland maze was crowded but worth seeing because its so unique. Soaring is exactly like Epcot version.
Seven Dwarfs is also the same as Disney world. Rex’s racers is like something you can ride at every carnival. Pooh and Peter Pan are not different either. The water ride was the same as all the rest too.

I cannot even begin to describe the behavior for the fireworks. Stay far back or you may literally be crushed. People push and shove, there are no workers there to maintain order. Think kids climbing lampposts, no ropes, people on the streets, no paths marked to walk. I was pushed into a lamppost by the crowd of ever moving people and gashed my arm.

Food was good. Pinocchio restaurant had delicious vegetarian Mickey shaped pizzas. Some interesting snacks. We liked the corn in Toyland with the truffle mayonnaise. Not like Tokyo on the food though.

Overall, I can say I have been here and survived to tell the tale. Never again. The people’s behavior made this beautiful park that should be magical into a miserable place.

as always, if you gave me a full expanses paid trip to spend two days in this park, and then paid me for my time on top of it, I would not go, lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
also, quite topical

http://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/post/24245/fight-at-shanghai-disneyland-goes-viral

quote:

One of the women can be heard yelling at the alleged victim: "Are you [expletive] crazy? Look at your [expletive] face! Why would he touch your butt?"

truly a magical place

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Over There posted:

Woah what is this thread

do you read a thread.?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Over There posted:

Woah what is this thread

*has hands behind back and spits a throat cold loogie directly at you then smiles gormlessly.*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
*rushes over to the side of the sidewalk (still in plain view), yanks down pants and violently shits.* "5,000 years of history. "

• Locked thread