Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Neon Noodle posted:

You can turn off the beeps too.

Holy poo poo how do you do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Unplug it

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
hold down the minus button for 5 seconds (hold down + to re-enable)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Or that

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Walmart has the Lux60 V3 Instant Pot on sale for $50.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

marshalljim posted:

Walmart has the Lux60 V3 Instant Pot on sale for $50.

No yogurt button. Boooooooo.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
I made bread in my Instant Pot (and oven, granted, but it proofed in the pot).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Cool. So like is it good?

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
It's got a great crust on it, but it's slightly dense - that might be because my yeast is too old, or I added too much water. Still, I would do it again on a day off/lazy weekend.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It looks super dense. Let us know if it was the yeast. I'm interested because my wife wants a proving drawer and this could be an easy fix.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Croatoan posted:

It looks super dense. Let us know if it was the yeast. I'm interested because my wife wants a proving drawer and this could be an easy fix.

I haven't tried it, but I know a bunch of people who use the IP on yogurt setting as a proofing box for dough to rise.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Anyone have a IP bolognase recipe they like? I'm trying my hand at homemade pasta this week and I'm thinking that'll be a nice thing to go along with it.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Matt Zerella posted:

Anyone have a IP bolognase recipe they like? I'm trying my hand at homemade pasta this week and I'm thinking that'll be a nice thing to go along with it.

I have made and enjoyed this particular recipe a few times, but I've been told in this thread that it's a mere sad shadow of whatever version Kenji published.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That recipe sounds decent, but you stop and come back to release pressure to add more water and stir. Add colatura di alicisauce, or fish sauce, to this and it sounds really decent.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ignoranus posted:

I have made and enjoyed this particular recipe a few times, but I've been told in this thread that it's a mere sad shadow of whatever version Kenji published.
Yeah, traditional Bolognese is a dish build around browning, browning, and more browning---of the soffritto, of the meat, and of the milk. You really don't get this, or even a close approximation, out of using a pressure cooker.

That's not to say it's a bad recipe or what it produces won't be any good, just that it's really a different thing.

Ranter posted:

That recipe sounds decent, but you stop and come back to release pressure to add more water and stir. Add colatura di alicisauce, or fish sauce, to this and it sounds really decent.
Always Add Fish Sauce.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Still loving around with baked goods in the Instant Pot.

"Low Carb" cheesecake - the crust was just almond meal and melted butter which was meh, but the filling was perfect, just firm enough, and deliciously creamy.

New no-knead bread recipe. This time it's actually fluffy inside with a thick crunchy crust and I'm way happier with it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The cheesecake looks really promising. Do you also put stevia or something to keep it low carb?

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

The cheesecake looks really promising. Do you also put stevia or something to keep it low carb?

You can, yeah. I used sugar entirely (1/4 cup) but the recipe suggests doing a half/half combination; they used something called Swerve as their sweetener. Also the crust was just almond meal and butter, although I might try a nut crust next time.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
That bread looks so goddamn good. Is it all in the pot or are you popping it in the oven after raising it in the IP?

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

That bread looks so goddamn good. Is it all in the pot or are you popping it in the oven after raising it in the IP?

That last loaf was baked off in a Dutch oven; the IP serves as the proofing spot.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I thought you could only bake bread which has been proofed in an IP, in an airfryer c/d?

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
The first loaf I made the recipe had it proofed and then baked in the IP insert itself. The second loaf I proofed then threw it into a cracking hot Dutch oven. That turned out well.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Looks good. I like the idea of proofing in the IP

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Sehkmet posted:

You can, yeah. I used sugar entirely (1/4 cup) but the recipe suggests doing a half/half combination; they used something called Swerve as their sweetener. Also the crust was just almond meal and butter, although I might try a nut crust next time.

I'd use Pyure over Swerve... Swerve tastes better when it's powdered. It tends to have a "crunchy" texture unless you do that. Pyure has a better texture and flavor, I found, and doesn't give you that crunchy minty cooling sensation.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
I'd never even heard of Swerve; I just use Splenda if I'm doing reduced sugar bakes. I'll look for the Pyure though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
does baking with sucralose change considerably when using pure liquid sucralose vs. the mixed ingredient cut-down splenda powder?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Sehkmet posted:

I'd never even heard of Swerve; I just use Splenda if I'm doing reduced sugar bakes. I'll look for the Pyure though.

From what my mom has told me the benefit of Swerve is a 1:1 replacement for sugar in baking, and it comes as standard and powdered sugar types. Tried some cookies she made this weekend with it and it wasn't that different from sugar to me.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm going to do osso bucco in the pressure cooker this weekend. My inlaws are coming. This poo poo is going to blow their brains.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Picked up an instant pot when they were on sale recently and it kind of owns. It's getting cold here and soup/stew season seems like it's going to be fun. :)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Picked up an instant pot when they were on sale recently and it kind of owns. It's getting cold here and soup/stew season seems like it's going to be fun. :)

Hell yeah, get you some chuck or short rib and make the hell out of some stew.

Buy a chicken, roast it, eat from that & strip the rest of the meat, then put the bones in your pressure cooker with some veggies to make the best stock you've ever had and make chicken noodle soup with the meat.

Buy a pork shoulder and make more pulled pork than you can eat in <2 hours.

Then buy Indian Instant Pot and make some delicious vegetarian Indian food because holy poo poo that was a lot of meat

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Also, make yogurt if you have the button. Get some 4 oz mason jars, put some compote on the bottom and fill em up when you're done. It owns.

This ain't a pressure cooker thing but the instant pot is incredible for it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Arcsech posted:

Hell yeah, get you some chuck or short rib and make the hell out of some stew.

Buy a chicken, roast it, eat from that & strip the rest of the meat, then put the bones in your pressure cooker with some veggies to make the best stock you've ever had and make chicken noodle soup with the meat.

Buy a pork shoulder and make more pulled pork than you can eat in <2 hours.

Then buy Indian Instant Pot and make some delicious vegetarian Indian food because holy poo poo that was a lot of meat

To add to soup chat, you can just put a 3-4 lb. raw chicken in with some veggies and water and have soup in about an hour and a half.

We do a lot of chicken tortilla soup as well, and it's so yummy, I want some now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The one thing I dislike about the IP is that it retains water too well. Try making beef burgundy using a standard recipe and it's just a watery mess. You have to reduce the liquid significantly afterwards.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Maybe just use less liquid?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I still don't recall what kind of beef is best for long, low simmering aside from the obvious ones. Chuck, round, etc. - too similar, I can't remember which is which.

That idea about chicken soup via pressure cooking the gently caress out of a chicken is a drat good idea, though...hmmm. Maybe I'll pick up a couple game hens sometime.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

wallaka posted:

Maybe just use less liquid?

My biggest hurdle has been figuring out how much water to use in recipes.
I made apple butter a few weeks back and ended up with apple soup, despite using qlmost no water, and I still haven't been able to get a green chili with any body to it. Still an awesome piece of kitchen gear.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bengy81 posted:

My biggest hurdle has been figuring out how much water to use in recipes.
I made apple butter a few weeks back and ended up with apple soup, despite using qlmost no water, and I still haven't been able to get a green chili with any body to it. Still an awesome piece of kitchen gear.

One thing that might help is to go all the way to no added liquid at all. Kenji has a fantastic chicken stew with no liquid added at all, and the consistency is perfect every time. Try that recipe to get some confidence.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Over time I use less and less water in my IP. Vegetables release a lot of moisture and so do some meats. A lot of IP recipes on blogs are apparently slow cooker or stovetop recipes where someone shortened the cooking time but didn't reduce the liquid amount.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

bengy81 posted:

To add to soup chat, you can just put a 3-4 lb. raw chicken in with some veggies and water and have soup in about an hour and a half.

We do a lot of chicken tortilla soup as well, and it's so yummy, I want some now.

About how long does it keep in the fridge? Could I make it Sunday (for lunches in the week) and have it still be edible Friday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

About how long does it keep in the fridge? Could I make it Sunday (for lunches in the week) and have it still be edible Friday?

Almost certainly. I grill chicken on Sunday and eat it Mon through Thur. I imagine the salt in the soup would help keep it an extra day. If not, hey, Friday cheat day. :cool: