Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Jesus, Allison is fine. Hes a perfectly good gk, and hes automatically a top 5 gk in the pl.hes not courtois or oblak or ter stegen, but hes in the level right below them.you're certainly not buying oblak or ter stegen for 66m, and courtois hosed off to spain so you werent getting him either.hes certainly better than the current tire fires that passes for gk at liverpool.he'll certainly gently caress up one or two times while getting accustumed to the league but he'll be very good for the next 8-10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mickolution posted:

And £62m on Keita.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with the business the club has done over the past couple of seasons, but we've spent a lot of money in doing it.

Keita was last season. Getting to the champions league final probably gave liverpool a ton more money to spend

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

bewbies posted:

seriously though why are they going to pay that much money for a goalie

how much would buttland have cost? The Lazio guy? The Bilbao guy RM wanted? Oblak probably had a higher price tag so screw that.

Our problem for years and years is that we buy someone who's good at their level and expect them to be great at ours. Karius was good for mid-table Mainz. Mignolet was good for relegation candidates Sunderland. Reina briefly bucked the trend but before then you had people like David James. Butland could be a good keeper, could be a great keeper, but we can't take the risk on him. Anywhere else on the pitch you have a problem and you go out and spend the money to fix it, now it's time for a keeper to do that.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Jose posted:

Keita was last season. Getting to the champions league final probably gave liverpool a ton more money to spend

They got a grand total of 83m euros for their champions league run.

The finals loss gave them 11m of that 83m.

Quarter-finals and semi-finals gave them about 7m each of that 83m.

So, an extra ~25m from the deep run.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 18, 2018

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

The spend is enough that they will get accused of buying whatever they win. I am sure the Liverpool goons will be fine with that.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Jose posted:

did you forget liverpool spending £60m on fabinho

I believe he was £90m TBF.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The whole point of the net spend talk was that we still had a WARCHEST to break open at some point. It's good that we are using it now.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 18, 2018

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Alisson is good now and after all this bitching and moaning I hope he becomes bad. Imagine complaining about your club spending big on your weakest position to buy a top international player, some of you are out of your loving mind.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Anyway somebody buy Donnarumma for 100 mil.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

Anyway somebody buy Donnarumma for 100 mil.

What do you think about Gazidis supposedly under consideration to become CEO or whatever of Milan?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Gigi Galli posted:

Alisson is good now and after all this bitching and moaning I hope he becomes bad. Imagine complaining about your club spending big on your weakest position to buy a top international player, some of you are out of your loving mind.

Big Gigi droppin’ some truth napalm.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

no see £66m on a striker who will get an extra 5 goals a season is fine and far better value than a keeper who'll save an extra 10

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
69 million for a brazilian keeper lol. Mark this down as an epic fail.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

What do you think about Gazidis supposedly under consideration to become CEO or whatever of Milan?

Honestly if he stabilizes the club and stops this cycle of blowing millions of euros on god knows what every year then it'd be good. I'm prepared to fight for the fourth place trophy for a decade or whatever. Gotta be better than what's going on now.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Jose posted:

no see £66m on a striker who will get an extra 5 goals a season is fine and far better value than a keeper who'll save an extra 10

Was about to make a similar post... But you summed it up pretty well.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
yeah but u see he's a sweeper keeper and

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

They should have bought Handanovic

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

In January Liverpool spent 70m on VVD. He came in and shored up the defense pretty well. Even made Lovren look like a semi decent CB at times.

If they need to spend 70m again to shore up the GK spot then do it. If he busts then sure, it's annoying but hindsight is 20/20.

No one really bats an eye nowadays if a striker goes for that money and having a decent GK is more important to some teams than having a decent striker.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Lovren is a great player

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
With Klopp saying Ox is probably out for almost the entire season actually getting Fekir done is even more important now

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Posted this in the pre-season thread but Ox is likely to miss the entire 2018-2019 season, which means that a deal for Fekir is much more likely.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Gigi Galli posted:

Imagine complaining about your club spending big on your weakest position to buy a top international player, some of you are out of your loving mind.

There are Juve plastics all around the world complaining about the singing of freaking Cristiano Ronaldo, mental illness is severe amongst football fans.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Simone Poodoin posted:

There are Juve plastics all around the world complaining about the singing of freaking Cristiano Ronaldo, mental illness is severe amongst football fans.

The Ronaldo signing pissed off a lot of Fiat workers apparently. The company that owns Juve owns Fiat too and just laid off a shitload of workers like 2 weeks before pumping 100m into Juve to get Ron Ron.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg3sHy4M5vM&t=360s

Howler

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

It's insane to me op

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

The Ronaldo signing pissed off a lot of Fiat workers apparently. The company that owns Juve owns Fiat too and just laid off a shitload of workers like 2 weeks before pumping 100m into Juve to get Ron Ron.

That is a very valid reason to be pissed off though.

I'm talking about the idiots whining that "this will bring new fans who didn't suffer the bad times to the club" or the "Juve and Barca are my best teams so I can't support Ronaldo" crew.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

It's insane to me op

Chelsea are prepping a bid for Donnaruma apparently after losing out on Alisson.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Chelsea are prepping a bid for Donnaruma apparently after losing out on Alisson.

good he's poo poo

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

lol I thought Sarri would be very aware and would not try to sign the Italian De Gea

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd7YNn5gHoA&t=52s
Lmao

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Lyon spent over value on a goalkeeper in the late 90s and rode him to seven straight league titles

Of course, they had less money to spend on strikers and ended up underachieving in the Champions League. But a team of their means couldn't do both

with the amount of complaining, you'd think that Liverpool's only real move is to get close to signing a Croatian defender from Red Bull Salzberg

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I hope Allison gets the fat Brazilian curse so Liverpool fans can retcon their posts to say they never wanted him anyway

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Will Liverpool supporters make a chant based on this early 90s club banger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzw_3ChqkeM

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Jason Sextro posted:

Lyon spent over value on a goalkeeper in the late 90s and rode him to seven straight league titles

Of course, they had less money to spend on strikers and ended up underachieving in the Champions League. But a team of their means couldn't do both

with the amount of complaining, you'd think that Liverpool's only real move is to get close to signing a Croatian defender from Red Bull Salzberg

Coupet was never the reason they dominated the league and he cost less than 2 million?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jason Sextro posted:

it was a non-keeper brazilian who did that

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jota posted:

With Klopp saying Ox is probably out for almost the entire season actually getting Fekir done is even more important now

Jesus, that's terrible

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

I seem to recall that the CL only brought in something like £20m, but yeah clubs tend to invest heavily when they reach the CL because staying in it leads to more money in the future and is big commercially.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't think this is CL money, this is the Coutinho money. Liverpool had 150m sitting around plus whatever the transfer budget would have been for this season anyway, and it looks like most of that's gone on Fabinho and Alisson. I think the club would still have money to sign Fekir if they want to, but I don't know anything about him except that he played about five minutes at the end of most of France's World Cup games so yeah.

Before anyone says anything, I'm pretty sure last season's signing weren't paid for with Coutinho money. At the start of last season Klopp wanted Salah, Keita, and VVD, and so presumably he had the transfer budget to sign those three even before selling Coutinho. Maybe some of the extra money Liverpool had to pay for VVD was covered by the Coutinho sale, but I think most of that money has just been sitting around burning a hole in Klopp's pocket for six months.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Are we sure it's not the Luis Suarez money? It's important to know where this money is coming from.

(They've net spent ~45m since 2013/14 through last season. They just dropped ~110m without Alisson this summer)

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Liverpool is doing work this transfer cycle GOT drat

• Locked thread