Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Isn't it really just deferring taxes

I mean I suppose if you live on less in retirement it'll lower your overall liability, but who knows what the tax structure will be in 30-40 years

It is deferred taxes, plus tax free growth. You don't have to pay taxes on dividends for things like REITs held in a 401k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Droo posted:

here is a list of things I notice at a Lifetime fitness compared to a generic $20 per month gym or like my college gym. Also note that I think $20 gyms are fine although I do appreciate the nice clean equipment since people are gross.

I think I can go to any lifetime fitness in the country for free

Thanks for self posting about your dumb gym because you felt personally attacked when someone guffawed at an expensive gym.

Bitesize BWM:

quote:

Did I Already Make A Financial Mistake?!
Hey im 19 and i work as a sales agent at a company. I work mandatory overtime Mon-Fri and bi weekly take home 950ish. I got a used 2014 Audi A6 recently and pay 500 for the car payment and 350 for insurance every month. I find myself barely making it at the end of the weeks and i know im not the most responsible person with money but i need to change what are some things i can do to try to change to make it to my next paycheck comfortably. Was it also a bad decision to get the car?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People are so goddamn stupid about cars.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
BFC has a pretty strong anti car bias. I mean, this is literally step 4 of the retirement planning thread after saving $23,500 a year

"If you were able to finish Step 3, you will end up rich in all likelihood. Start a taxable savings account, or go out and blow some money at a strip club or something."

The subforum that scoffs at new cars is recommending strip clubs as a reasonable next step

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How fast do strippers depreciate?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

BFC has a pretty strong anti car bias. I mean, this is literally step 4 of the retirement planning thread after saving $23,500 a year

"If you were able to finish Step 3, you will end up rich in all likelihood. Start a taxable savings account, or go out and blow some money at a strip club or something."

The subforum that scoffs at new cars is recommending strip clubs as a reasonable next step

Not really. A pretty strong anti expensive car bias, if you can't afford it, maybe?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Now the thread is going to seriously suggest rolling the negative equity into a used Toyota Camry that can totally be had for $2k and have similar maintenance bills.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Inept posted:

Thanks for self posting about your dumb gym because you felt personally attacked when someone guffawed at an expensive gym.

Bitesize BWM:

This kid is so dumb.

- Doesn't know what the rate on his loan is; he just knows that it is 6 years and he took it because the buy here pay here lot said this was the only way he could get the car.
- He somehow drives roughly 4,000 miles per month.
- He is paying $850 per month for a 10-year old car with 100k miles.
- He paid $22k in total for the car and financed 100% of it.
- Estimates that he will need $0 in repairs for the next few years because he's "only had it for 2 months."

He also spent $500 on Fortnite. I'm guessing that's loot boxes or something, since the game is free to play.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 18, 2018

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

crazypeltast52 posted:

Now the thread is going to seriously suggest rolling the negative equity into a used Toyota Camry that can totally be had for $2k and have similar maintenance bills.

No I just want to laugh at the dumb kid that bought an expensive car. He still lives at home so he will be fine, but now he's going to have to live at home until he's 25 because that was a 6 year loan.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

silvergoose posted:

Not really. A pretty strong anti expensive car bias, if you can't afford it, maybe?

Yeah, you're right, it really is more of an anti luxury-goods mindset. If you look at the things we laugh at in this thread, it's things like weddings, exotic pet ownership, and nice cars

And paying a restaurant to cook food for you

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The trade off is always just the consideration of whether you're transforming your earnings into appreciating or depreciating assets.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

I'm 25, I have $415k, and I have no idea what I'm doing with it. Advice appreciated.

As the title says, I'm 25 years old, and inherited a large sum from my grandfather when he passed away. He passed when I was around 9 years old, and to my understanding, the account was somewhere in the $500k range at the time. By the time I gained control of it, it was just over $700k. Since then, I've used this to pay for two years of community college, a surgery, a reliable car, and a 20% down payment on a modest house. I've also been living off of it, almost entirely.The only other income I make is on my own attempt at starting a small business, which, in all honesty, only makes me a couple hundred bucks a month.

The money has been in an Edward Jones stock account for years, and I left it there when I gained control of it. To my understanding, they have it in some sort of diverse stock portfolio, where they automatically move things around based on the level of risk I decide on each year. It's at a low-moderate risk right now. I have about $105k in a single account, and about $310k in an IRA.

Thing is, I know... nothing about money. My parents never taught me anything about finances, even knowing what I was sitting on for 15 years, and I guess I just never knew where to start in learning. I know that's almost entirely my fault, but now I just have no idea where to start. I feel embarrassed asking my Edward Jones rep, because I've been sort of trying to pretend I know what he's talking about for four years. He seems like a good financial advisor and he seems to have the best interest in mind for my money (probably because the more I make, the more he makes), but I've just been blindly trusting that he's doing the right thing for years.

The money has been sitting steady at $415k since I purchased my home, which was in November of last year. I take out $2,500 per month for living costs, and the accounts gain enough that it stays even. However, I know this money has the potential to gain a lot more, but I feel clueless on how to make better use of it. I don't want to end up slowly dwindling it down to nothing before I'm even 40. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hey at least the OP is asking on how to fix it. Top two replies: get a job.

OP never posts again.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

crazypeltast52 posted:

Thank you for leaping to the defense of the kid spending 30% of his monthly take-home on car-related expenses, this is very important.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It's actually about 45% when you include the repair and gas costs he mentions!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The trade off is always just the consideration of whether you're transforming your earnings into appreciating or depreciating assets.

Absolutely, but how many things do you buy on the basis of appreciation? Stocks and real estate no doubt, but once you've accumulated Enough of those, do you really worry about whether your bag of Skittles or two tix to Mission Impossible are going to depreciate down to $0?

Once your long term plans are adequately serviced, who cares if you spend your extra dough on fixing up old cars to sell for a profit or if you spend it on Horse Weddings!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Inept posted:

Hey at least the OP is asking on how to fix it. Top two replies: get a job.

OP never posts again.

lol, some guy in that thread is trying to pitch him on putting all of it into PRPFX. It's a mutual fund with a 5-year return of 3.7% and holds:

quote:

Gold Bullion Comex Eligible
Gold/US Golden Eagles
Silver Bullion Comex Eligible
Gold Canadian Maple Leaf
Switzerland Bonds Regs

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Blinkman987 posted:

Ahahahahahahaaha yeah, America's getting ready to help poor people. Sure man. Because there haven't been poor old people before.

That's the future. No retirement for poor people, just work until you die.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 18, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Love to watch real time demographic meltdowns.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Once your long term plans are adequately serviced, who cares if you spend your extra dough on fixing up old cars to sell for a profit or if you spend it on Horse Weddings!

one of those things is profitable though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: nm, this will not be fruitful

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You can't have sex with a car unless you're 1) a dragon 2) Cameron Diaz

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's the point of generating profit once your debt is serviced and you've made sufficient progress toward your short and long-term savings goals? There's nothing inherently good about stockpiling more money than you need.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Are you feeling sensitive about defending your luxury car purchase from the other thread?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's the point of generating profit once your debt is serviced and you've made sufficient progress toward your short and long-term savings goals? There's nothing inherently good about stockpiling more money than you need.

The future, Mr. Gadget, the future!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mocking Bird posted:

Are you feeling sensitive about defending your luxury car purchase from the other thread?

Not feeling sensitive in the least :) And no need to defend a thing I haven't done. Posters in there are indeed getting pretty fussy though.

Doc Hawkins posted:

The future, Mr. Gadget, the future!

I don't understand! Isn't the future accounted for when you've met your savings goals?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mocking Bird posted:

almost definitely

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't understand! Isn't the future accounted for when you've met your savings goals?

Having reached a goal, you're allowed to consider working towards a new one.

Lifestyle inflation is bad, ambition inflation, less so.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Aren't you the guy who thought he had a big trust fund but then your dad realized he didn't actually have any money so he took your trust fund and spent it on himself?

If I'm remembering that right, then the answer to your question is to avoid accidentally ending up like your dad due to unforeseen circumstances like disability or job loss. If that's not you then just pretend the dad I mentioned is any average baby boomer who is just now starting to realize that they actually need money after all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

almost definitely

I’m definitely not feeling sensitive about my car, and I don’t understand why everything needs to be profitable either.

Droo posted:

If I'm remembering that right, then the answer to your question is to avoid accidentally ending up like your dad due to unforeseen circumstances like disability or job loss.

Those are good savings goals, IMO.

Why do you need profit beyond that?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 18, 2018

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I’m definitely not feeling sensitive about my car, and I don’t understand why everything needs to be profitable either.

Those are good savings goals, IMO; they’re the basis of mine.

Why do you need profit beyond that?

"I am meeting my savings goal" doesn't impart enough information to really answer the second question at all. For example lots of people have a savings goal of contributing enough to a 401k to get the full match which generally isn't gonna be enough.

But in this case you should assume that the responses are very poster-specific.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Needs are variable, for one thing. Having more money in the bank means you can push forward retirement, work less, pursue less lucrative work that you actually like, vacation more, etc. Honestly it's somewhat perplexing to me that this needs to be explained in the first place.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The ultimate goal is to die in a hovel with $1,000,000,000 in assets you never touch.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I don't really think that everything has to be popular and I waste money on dumb cars all the time, including an M5. Something about "I have to spend a lot of money buy this car to impress assholes at work" rubs me the wrong way. If you just come out and are like yeah I want an M2 go for it buddy! I hate car status culture a lot!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It should be every red-blooded American's goal to perform as little work (especially real, honest work) in their lifespan as possible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Droo posted:

"I am meeting my savings goal" doesn't impart enough information to really answer the second question at all. For example lots of people have a savings goal of contributing enough to a 401k to get the full match which generally isn't gonna be enough.

I mean savings goals, not savings targets or activities. One’s goal might well be to save enough to generate $X/yr in retirement or in case of premature job loss. You’ve met your goal when you have assets that produce that income. (That you’re meeting monthly savings targets is a good sign you will reach your goal when scheduled.)

Why should someone optimize for net profit beyond that?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Because weddings, exotic pet ownership, and nice cars usually end up being conspicuous consumption. Many luxuries are more about showing off how rich you are than actually getting personal enjoyment equal to the money spent, and the tread hivemind hates this. What else did you expect from a fairly left wing forum?

Of course, the hivemind's hatred for horses does not fall under this banner. But a single unified theory of the hivemind doesn't exist.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I mean savings goals, not savings targets or activities. One’s goal might well be to save enough to generate $X/yr in retirement or in case of premature job loss. You’ve met your goal when you have assets that produce that income. (That you’re meeting monthly savings targets is a good sign you will reach your goal when scheduled.)

Why should someone optimize for net profit beyond that?

The original statement that everyone is responding to (which you are redefining) was:

What's the point of generating profit once your debt is serviced and you've made sufficient progress toward your short and long-term savings goals?

So, if he had no debt and had finished the goal I would agree with you, but in this specific case the poster comes from some weird family trust fund full of people that break promises and steal from the trust, and if I remember right he also blew up a 7 year relationship with his fiance because they had never talked about money like grown ups, AND he's in some other thread right now talking about spending money on a brand new car because an M3 isn't good enough to impress the people he works with or something. So even if the question were actually defined the way you are currently defining it, I would say that the person asking it probably wasn't as sure of his situation as he thinks he is.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Cross posting from the Schadenfreude thread!

Holy poo poo has this been posted yet?

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvic...ACD&sh=7a350406

I hired someone to take my online History class. He outsourced the work to someone in Africa, and that person emailed my professor and reported me for cheating. The person I hired refuses to refund the money. What recourse do I have?

quote:

I am in New York.

I hired someone to do my online History class. I've been working with him for the past 2 years, he's done many classes for me, I've paid him at least $10,000 for the work he did. And he did amazing work, got me through most of my degree. I had just 3 classes left before graduation.

Anyway, I hired this person to do my History class. He hasn't let me down for 2 years, so I trusted him. He outsourced the work to someone, who ended up outsourcing the work to someone else, etc. The work ended up being done by someone in Africa.

Apparently, there was some kind of disagreement in this loving supply chain, and someone (most likely the guy in Africa) ended up emailing my professor and reporting me for cheating. The fucker presented a lot of rock-solid evidence, too.

Now I'm facing being expelled from the school and losing everything I did (and paid my person over the past 2 years to do). The $10,000 I paid that person - gone.

I called him, he apologized but refused to give me a refund. I disputed some recent transactions with him, but all PayPal will allow me to dispute is about $700.

Is there any way I can sue this fucker? He took $10,000 from me and got me expelled. So he cost me $10,000 PLUS all of my tuition. So he cost me about $40,000.

So can I AT LEAST get the $10,000 I paid him back???

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Droo posted:

The original statement that everyone is responding to (which you are redefining) was:

Sorry, the post you were responding to said

quote:

and that’s what I was talking about. I agree that accelerating progress towards your savings goals is of high value in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Droo posted:

in this specific case the poster comes from some weird family trust fund full of people that break promises and steal from the trust, and if I remember right he also blew up a 7 year relationship with his fiance because they had never talked about money like grown ups, AND he's in some other thread right now talking about spending money on a brand new car because an M3 isn't good enough to impress the people he works with or something. So even if the question were actually defined the way you are currently defining it, I would say that the person asking it probably wasn't as sure of his situation as he thinks he is.

Whoa whoa whoa, this is off base!

Sorry for Self-Posts in the BWM thread, but my name is getting dragged here. My parents are morons who amassed and squandered several fortunes and had to revoke some property/money they had intended for my sister and I, but they're just idiots who get taken advantage of, not lying thieves.

Yes a 7-year relationship ended because when we decided to consider engagement we decided to talk about finances (like grown ups!) and couldn't get on the same page. Seems like a good thing?

M3s are wonderful but that's a 4-door sedan and I like smaller coupes better

OK sorry for the self-posts but that should clear it up