Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Especially now since in comics, Star City is literally Seattle, just with a different name.

It's literally Vancouver I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

It's literally Vancouver I thought.

In the current Rebirth comic, which from the beginning was set in Seattle, there was a storyline where there was a, uh for lack of better term, corporate takeover of the city and it was rebranded and renamed Star City.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

In the current Rebirth comic, which from the beginning was set in Seattle, there was a storyline where there was a, uh for lack of better term, corporate takeover of the city and it was rebranded and renamed Star City.

Ahh, I was making a joke about where the TV show is filmed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Ahh, I was making a joke about where the TV show is filmed.

All of the DCU/CW is Vancouver. I would love to see what part of Vancouver would be used for Gotham.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Gotham is filmed in New York, they CGI'd real places in the city to make it look more dreary and Gothamy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAih5ruv9io

There was a nice shot, I think, in the first season that had Penguin limping away from the city, and it's there behind him on the horizon, black clouds just over it.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

X-O posted:

Haha, that’s great. I need to catch up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

nofather posted:

Gotham is filmed in New York, they CGI'd real places in the city to make it look more dreary and Gothamy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAih5ruv9io
Hey that's really cool. Thanks for the link.

There's a shot in the movie Amelie where they CGId in a blue lamp and that's the first time it hit me that CGI work would be more than just terminators and matrix poo poo. It's crazy that it's gotten to the point where its feasible for TV series' and poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TV shows often have more CG than movies these days just turning Toronto or a warehouse into New York City streets to save on shooting costs.

edit:
New Steve Orlando and :siren:Travel Foreman:siren: miniseries, Electric Warriors. Future sci-fi based aroud Jack Kirby/Kamandi's 'Great Disaster.'
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1019620914336583680

ee: There's ridiculous savings on collections at Comixology right now. They're discounted already and that can stack with the linewide 60% off sale (checkout code 'DC60')

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 18, 2018

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Does that have anything to do with the boycott of Amazon going on at the moment?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just sales timed with Comic Con like always.
It cuts off at July releases, so it's not like the Marvel $.99 new release trades weirdness.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Comixology is where I get most new comics but when it comes to trades I want hardcopies. It annoys me when Amazon could have a big sale on hard copies but instead comixology has one (and they have big sales all the time). It's a nice way to get exposure to things you wouldn't normally read, though. Also great as an insomniac, getting to pick your new comics up at 2 AM is nice.

Loving what Justice League is doing. Also Wild Storm. Zealot's creeping her way up to Bendix.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

nofather posted:

Comixology is where I get most new comics but when it comes to trades I want hardcopies. It annoys me when Amazon could have a big sale on hard copies but instead comixology has one (and they have big sales all the time). It's a nice way to get exposure to things you wouldn't normally read, though. Also great as an insomniac, getting to pick your new comics up at 2 AM is nice.

Loving what Justice League is doing. Also Wild Storm. Zealot's creeping her way up to Bendix.

I love reading physical copies but it just doesn't make sense getting physical copies when it is sooooooo much cheaper on comixology. In a way it pisses me off because I want the physical copy, but in another way I am reading more trades today then I have ever read before because of how cheap it is.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Wild Storm #15: Yay, more Gen 13 setup, more Bendix going mental and with the most blinging WMD ever, Jackie King planning something equally terrible, and a truly outstanding bit of body horror for Jack’s origin. Love it, the sense of increasing escalation is nuts. Wildstorm Earth makes Gotham look almost safe and appealing in comparison.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Madkal posted:

I love reading physical copies but it just doesn't make sense getting physical copies when it is sooooooo much cheaper on comixology. In a way it pisses me off because I want the physical copy, but in another way I am reading more trades today then I have ever read before because of how cheap it is.

I think comics look better on a screen these days, especially for action scenes. I read them on a 50 inch TV and everything just pops when there's an extra bit of lighting and screenspace to bring out the colors and 'splosions. Especially with stuff like Lantern powers and the like. Feels like HD comics. it's hard to go back to paper as it just feels paired down. I know, wrong opinions. :unsmith:

Love the current Justice League run. JL is at its best when it feels like a once a year massive multiversal-shfting crossover with All Things On The Line. Except it isn't the year's big crossover event, it's just another day being on the Justice League. It's Tuesday, buddy, everyday is like this. Come back tomorrow where everything is on the line....Again! :getin:

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 18, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

Does that have anything to do with the boycott of Amazon going on at the moment?

Amazon owns comixology.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Have a barf bag on hand for Wild Storm 15. drat the operation on Jack Hawksmoor is graphic. He seems like less of an rear end in a top hat than in Wildstorm.

Edit: I love the plot with the genfactor-exposed sociopath ex-spooks and Lynch. Sort of came out of nowhere but makes sense.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 19, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Picked up All-Star Squadron vol 1 for the DC sale. Wish I could have gotten Infinity Inc and Young All-Stars to go with it. Can't wait to read Earth 2 JSA adventures!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Injustice vs. Masters of the Universe #1 came out and what's interesting to me is how it doesn't take place during either game or during the prequel comic stuff, but after Injustice 2, going with the bad ending as canon. From the looks of it, Damian is the new Batman and for some reason Cyborg is part of the resistance.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Gavok posted:

and for some reason Cyborg is part of the resistance.

And his hair is magnificent.

'Lords of Magic, please have a care!
Grow this bald guy some long, luscious hair!'

Is Orko a rhyming demon?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Heavy metal guitarist Cyborg is beautiful.

Edit: I agree with the comment below, but I still love the Cyborg design, if not its execution.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 19, 2018

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That art is so bad.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's maybe not the best panel to show him off, but Freddie Williams is great. Check out the Batman/Ninja Turtles comics.

edit: Speaking of Injustice
https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1019795497232429057
Hopefully it's a close parody of Batman #50 with splash pages filled with pretentious poetry, but about scales and fins instead of eyes.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 19, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

nofather posted:

And his hair is magnificent.

'Lords of Magic, please have a care!
Grow this bald guy some long, luscious hair!'

Is Orko a rhyming demon?

What the actual gently caress

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Grant Morrison on Green Lantern, as expected.

https://twitter.com/MidnighterBae/status/1019955148783747073

quote:

“Instead of the big, epic, 12-part stories, we’re focusing down on the everyday life of a space cop. Basically, it’s no more apocalypse-ending storylines,” Morrison told IGN over a phone interview along with Sharp. “The basic concept is that [Hal Jordan] is like a space cop that patrols a sector of the universe where anything can happen. We’ve made it more like a police procedural.”

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Not exactly comics but the trailer for the new Titans series was... strange. It literally contains Robin saying 'gently caress Batman', because DC's on-screen renditions have not been gritty enough.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

bonds0097 posted:

Not exactly comics but the trailer for the new Titans series was... strange. It literally contains Robin saying 'gently caress Batman', because DC's on-screen renditions have not been gritty enough.

It...is time...to get really really really serious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5VXwiSpRFo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's maybe not the best panel to show him off, but Freddie Williams is great. Check out the Batman/Ninja Turtles comics.

edit: Speaking of Injustice
https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1019795497232429057
Hopefully it's a close parody of Batman #50 with splash pages filled with pretentious poetry, but about scales and fins instead of eyes.

Marriage in chapter 69

Nice

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Okay that's cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jesus. I hope he's joking.
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1019963874848620546

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This fills me with dread. (And not the good Judge Dredd kind of dread.)

Like the last time Grant Morrison did this was during Final Crisis where he had Hal Jordan and John Stewart investigating Orion’s death and cordoning off the area.
But he wrote them like they were southern Deputy # 1 and 2 in a horror movie.

Hal: Who-we. We got ourselves a code 648. That’s a dead God.

John: But if this is a dead good God. Does that mean we got Bad Gods out there?

I am going to have to hear a lot of good things about the series before I give it a shot.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I can’t get over cyborg’s luscious mane

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah. I mean, it's not like I won't look at it but... some of the costuming seemed kind of off. There is Hawk and Dove, though. On the other hand it might be super gritty Hawk and Dove which is a weird sentence to write.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Does it say who is on art? Will be interesting to see if the book will be in delay hell.

The angle he wants to do xould be good if it isnt final crisis GLs.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. I mean, it's not like I won't look at it but... some of the costuming seemed kind of off. There is Hawk and Dove, though. On the other hand it might be super gritty Hawk and Dove which is a weird sentence to write.

Dove maiming and killing people is more out of place than Dick Grayson killing people.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

bonds0097 posted:

Idunno that seems like a proper attitude considering the point in their relationship. Dick and Bruce weren't exactly on good terms.

BTAS and later Batman Beyond did it even harsher.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In happy news, because honestly, we'll be getting a Cassandra Cain book from DC INK called Shadow of the Batgirl.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Dawgstar posted:

In happy news, because honestly, we'll be getting a Cassandra Cain book from DC INK called Shadow of the Batgirl.

And a title about Babs as Oracle. We live in strange times.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

nofather posted:

Idunno that seems like a proper attitude considering the point in their relationship. Dick and Bruce weren't exactly on good terms.

Bruce is just mad that Dick stole his hairstyle, eyebrow game, jawline and facial features.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Does it say who is on art? Will be interesting to see if the book will be in delay hell.

Liam Sharp, who got his Wonder Woman and Brave and the Bold issues (which he also wrote) in on time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New Titans trailer looks 3edgy5me. Edgelord Dick is a major turnoff. Are we sure this isn't actually set in the Dark Multiverse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Liam Sharp, who got his Wonder Woman and Brave and the Bold issues (which he also wrote) in on time.

Good. We know the delays will be on Morrison.