Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

bloodychill posted:

I spent 10 hours playing Octopath this past weekend and was only able to really pull that off because my wife had to work during the weekend and I didn't have much social life stuff going on. Gaming during the week is a lot tougher, especially when there are a lot of TV shows and movies I like to watch, and usually weekly board game shenanigans, and all that. If I had kids, something big would have to go.

Preferably job.

I played Octopath Traveler for 15 hours over the weekend. It was such a nostalgic experience.

Not the game itself. Just the abundance of gaming time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
One of the positives about being forever single is I always have time for video games :unsmith:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if i ever get a girlfriend we're probably both going to be lesbians who play video games and watch anime anyway so i see no functional difference in how life will operate then

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Colonel posted:

if i ever get a girlfriend we're probably both going to be lesbians who play video games and watch anime anyway so i see no functional difference in how life will operate then

Sometimes I think I'd like this to but then I realise there's a chance she'll a) keep wanting to play Destiny or b) beat me at Street Fighter and I remember things are better as they are

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rarity posted:

Sometimes I think I'd like this to but then I realise there's a chance she'll a) keep wanting to play Destiny or b) beat me at Street Fighter and I remember things are better as they are

why wouldn't you want a gf who can kick your rear end at fighting games

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There are girls, inside the games

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Colonel posted:

I get competitive :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you: i do not want a girlfriend, for i am cowardly and would fear to overpower her at video games or else display my weakness by being beaten at them

me: as a lesbian, i travel the world in search of the one fellow lesbian who can beat me at cyber sled

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

don't even look at my dating profile if you can't even sideways bombjump i can't even sideways bombjump

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what's that? you think you're good at twinkle star sprites? heh, sorry, but i'll only spend time with someone who can beat me at touhou 3: phantasmagoria of dim.dream

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I would never play a competitive game against an SO. We should be a team dammit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My girlfriend is very non competitive and prefers different games than me. I'd kick her rear end at like Smash Bros or Mario Kart but she would ruin me at an RTS.

We instead prefer to play co-op things.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
true teamwork is formed through understanding built through intense competition. can you say you understand your so's mind if you cannot equally match each other in a quake 3 duel

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

You know what's good?

Sleep.

You know what else is good? Waking up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tfw she invites you over for Portal 2 and chill

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

disagree

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my girlfriend is a jewel case copy of homeworld i found in a babbage's dumpster in 1999

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
If you're good at fighting games, date me.

I've played a couple of hours of Iconoclasts and I've had fun with the 2 or 3 boss fights, it's kind of charming, and the game looks really good, but something about the platforming/level design is off putting? All the puzzles feel like the bad Zelda dungeon "puzzles" that are really just low/no difficulty activities. Also the crafting/upgrade system kind of sucks? Instead of finding new gear or a direct upgrade (like a missile upgrade in Metroid) you're rewarded with crafting items, which you have to return to a specific station to make into something and then go to a save statue to equip. And so far, the upgrades have been difficult to notice stat boosts, outside of the single new weapon.

I might give it a couple more hours to see if it picks up, but I'm not hopeful. It's too bad - there's a lot to like.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FirstAidKite posted:

hahaha yeah right

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I played Shinobi 3 for the first time recently and it's v good

Hell Yeah. Idk if it's an option for you but the 3DS version is beautiful

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

I've played a couple of hours of Iconoclasts and I've had fun with the 2 or 3 boss fights, it's kind of charming, and the game looks really good, but something about the platforming/level design is off putting? All the puzzles feel like the bad Zelda dungeon "puzzles" that are really just low/no difficulty activities. Also the crafting/upgrade system kind of sucks? Instead of finding new gear or a direct upgrade (like a missile upgrade in Metroid) you're rewarded with crafting items, which you have to return to a specific station to make into something and then go to a save statue to equip. And so far, the upgrades have been difficult to notice stat boosts, outside of the single new weapon.

I might give it a couple more hours to see if it picks up, but I'm not hopeful. It's too bad - there's a lot to like.

There was one resource which I almost never found (a whopping one in my whole playthrough) which was required by every upgrade after like a quarter of the way through that created a loop where I never really wanted to explore and never found any more. The game is great but it didn't need to have any metroid elements, imo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Waking up means I get to eat breakfast, which is my favorite meal of the day, so this checks out

I really enjoy quiet weekend mornings where I make myself a delicious breakfast sandwich and hang out with my cats and play video games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's good to wake up when the sleep is bad

ANYWAY

You know what's weird? The biathlon. The biathlon is weird.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Being woke is good too!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

waking up is like ah... poo poo... I’m still this guy and now i’m hungry

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phantasium posted:

There was one resource which I almost never found (a whopping one in my whole playthrough) which was required by every upgrade after like a quarter of the way through that created a loop where I never really wanted to explore and never found any more. The game is great but it didn't need to have any metroid elements, imo.

Ivory Oil, probably, they’re the only items that take actual effort to find

If you’re playing on Standard difficulty the upgrades are all pointless anyway, unless you want an edge against the secret bosses

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

true teamwork is formed through understanding built through intense competition. can you say you understand your so's mind if you cannot equally match each other in a quake 3 duel

ah yes, the Romero school of matchmaking

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

ah yes, the Romero school of matchmaking

make them your bitch

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know some of you are huge fans of the Tales series, I'm not (yet) but it's neat seeing Troy Baker pour love over one of the Tales of games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJFVxxdvbOM

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

Hell Yeah. Idk if it's an option for you but the 3DS version is beautiful

Oh I didn't know it was one of the 3D classics. I go back to Gunstar Heroes 3D a lot

I have 3 3DSs because I make very wise purchasing decisions

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

cheetah7071 posted:

Personally I'd prefer it if humans didn't need sleep and could take advantage of all 24 hours in the day

Same, but the opposite

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Oh I didn't know it was one of the 3D classics. I go back to Gunstar Heroes 3D a lot

I have 3 3DSs because I make very wise purchasing decisions

Lol cool. I picked up eo4 on 3DS yesterday since it was on sale and did some dungeon crawling over afternoon tea. Very cool.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

I get competitive :(

The Colonel posted:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just finished the End of Zoe DLC for RE7. It was loving great and I wish there were more first person wrestling games

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Convex posted:

Just finished the End of Zoe DLC for RE7. It was loving great and I wish there were more first person wrestling games

I just googled this and holy gently caress wow that's incredible

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Convex posted:

I remember that originally Quake was going to be a first-person fighting game. I wonder what video games would be like now if that had happened

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

for close to the past 20 years my breakfast every morning has consisted of a nice cup of coffee because the last thing i want to do in the morning is eat something, but i think in my dotage my diet is going to have to change pretty soon because consistently when i eat my lunch at 1:00 or so i crash super hard and start falling asleep at my desk

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mak0rz posted:

I also read that how to be a ninja guide on the Old Internet back in the day.

i didn't read the how to be a ninja guide until i was in like college. when we were in boarding school, we would climb buildings, run across roofs, explore the woods, etc etc. my rank upon graduation was jounin of sound

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

for close to the past 20 years my breakfast every morning has consisted of a nice cup of coffee because the last thing i want to do in the morning is eat something, but i think in my dotage my diet is going to have to change pretty soon because consistently when i eat my lunch at 1:00 or so i crash super hard and start falling asleep at my desk

Hello, me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cowcaster posted:

For the last few months, I've been having 1L of yogurt because I hate eating solids in the morning and it's been okay but I also crave something sour/salty for a while after that.

• Locked thread