Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZ7FQHTaR4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I was looking up the spelling of "Geisterfahrer" this evening and this video popped up. How does it end? The answer may surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg9oeK9kxiA

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

MisterOblivious posted:

Any trace of dye in your tank will get you fined the full amount; you can't just dilute it.
Running un-taxed diesel on the road is tax evasion and the IRS fine is $10/gallon or $1,000, whichever is greater, per-tank.

Few pages ago, but in the UK they can apparently detect 1 litre of red in 1000 litres of derv.

The fuel distributor I work for basically say either do not deliver red diesel before derv, or if you really can't avoid doing it flush the delivery hose with derv when delivering red. It is better to lose £25 worth of derv and sell that as red than risk a contamination.
If there is even a chance that we may have contaminated a derv tank, we have to go and pump all the fuel out, test it and possibly replace it.

I think the biggest contamination I heard about was one of the supplier terminals where we bulk buy our fuel from.
They had a delivery of fuel from a barge and somehow managed to contaminate almost a million litres of derv with red.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

wolrah posted:

My radar detector and bluetooth OBD dongle have combined to drain the batteries of a few of my cars to the point of not starting if I go a couple of days without using them, especially in the winter. I drive a lot (~28,000 miles/year) but since I work from home I can go a few days without needing to go anywhere.

If I forget to plug in to the trickle charger or unplug those two things there's a good chance I'm going to get a really slow crank or total failure to start.

Platystemon posted:

If I had this problem I would get a low‐voltage disconnect switch.

It’s a relay in series with the battery. The control’s circuit monitors the battery’s voltage and if it drops below a certain threshold the relay opens and disconnects everything to prevent it from dropping any further.

When you want to drive, you flip a switch to connect the battery, crank it, and drive away.

Don't even need to flip a switch. It's automagic.

wolrah go buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/PriorityStart-12-Volt-Pro-SP-Automatic-Battery-Protector/dp/B0030A10V0

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Do you think the unquantified additional exposure he states ("I wasn't allowed to see the radiation film badges as they were classified") or perhaps this:

quote:

My next two missions were H-bomb tests over Bikini Atoll. On the second, the bomb exceeded its predicted yield by a significant amount, breaking my airplane’s right wing spar in two places. On the plus side, this provided the test engineers with the maximum possible data and negated the need for more testing.

Could maybe point to a guy that regularly flew over nuclear blasts just perhaps having a strong causal link with a cancer linked to exposure to high levels of UV and or other types of radiation? I mean I suppose it could have been melanoma on his rear end and be irrelevant...

dis astranagant posted:

really more quoting your quote but I think he just said he flew Castle Bravo :stare:

Sounds like it: Castle Bravo shot. 3x the predicted yield. It left a crater over a mile wide.
"Oops, we accidentally detonated the largest nuclear explosion ever, destroyed the recording stations, and irradiated the natives." Castle Bravo, jesus christ :catstare:

Whipstickagostop posted:

Few pages ago, but in the UK they can apparently detect 1 litre of red in 1000 litres of derv.

Yah, like I said, you can't dilute it out. Any tinge of dye will get you nailed. Folks online suggest taking the tank off and steam cleaning it to get rid of the dye.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

every so often i wonder why i have phanatic on ignore and then he goes and posts something like "the cancer that killed that air force test pilot was probably unrelated to his job of flying into atomic bomb fallout clouds" and i go oh right.

It didn't kill him and he's still alive at the age of 93. But good job.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 18, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tangentially related to the thread: I just recently read an on-line article about really weird pricing shenanigans on Amazon (third-party sellers) for books - possibly posted somewhere on the forums? Anyway I was inspired by this thread to buy Command and Control and added it to my amazon.co.uk shopping cart yesterday. The first hit for a hard-cover copy was a 10.04£ second-hand copy. Today I went and checked and the first hit is a 370£ new copy. I refuse to believe it's a coincidence.

e: Ayup it's the same loving seller that miraculously found an unused copy worth 370£ after I'd expressed interest in a 10£ second-hand copy. I think I'll order it from adlibris.com instead.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 18, 2018

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/iluRItZ.mp4

:eyepop: that strap

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why were the trucks driving into the flow of traffic?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MisterOblivious posted:

wolrah go buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/PriorityStart-12-Volt-Pro-SP-Automatic-Battery-Protector/dp/B0030A10V0

quote:

AUTOMATICALLY reconnects with small load change (0.2Mv) I.E. OPERATE HEADLIGHT SWITCH, STEP ON BRAKE PEDAL, POWER SEAT, ETC.

That’s clever.

I was thinking “tap the ignition switch” but not all cars these days have one of those.

With power cut to the electronics, essentially the only way the load will change is if a person throws a switch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

whoops sorry for forgetting to link it

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

My heart still drops watching this

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

RandomPauI posted:

Why were the trucks driving into the flow of traffic?

My guess would be a sign saying something like "all over height trucks must turn left because there's a 11'8" bridge ahead", meaning the little side road that the yellow truck eventually backs down, but because of poor placement it's leading them onto the highway. But that's purely speculation.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My guess would be a sign saying something like "all over height trucks must turn left because there's a 11'8" bridge ahead", meaning the little side road that the yellow truck eventually backs down, but because of poor placement it's leading them onto the highway. But that's purely speculation.

Couldn't they just lower the bridge?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Couldn't they just lower the bridge?

They tried that in Florida, it didn't work so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucflj-MsJBI&t=6s

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the people sliding down the bridge look a bit like insects

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I am convinced that that Volvo outbraked a Porsche 911, even though it was full-loaded.

I'd love to see real-world numbers because I bet it is impressively close.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

I am convinced that that Volvo outbraked a Porsche 911, even though it was full-loaded.

I'd love to see real-world numbers because I bet it is impressively close.

There's no way that truck was loaded, right? That stopping distance was incredibly short. I don't know how even an empty truck could do it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

There's no way that truck was loaded, right? That stopping distance was incredibly short. I don't know how even an empty truck could do it.

This is a test loaded to 40 tons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridS396W2BY

Trucks are heavy, but they've also got loving powerful brakes. 18 wheels means loads of available traction.

E: Ok the one in the video is 14 wheels but you know what I mean.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MisterOblivious posted:

Oh yea, those things... I remember seeing those in a police equipment catalog many years ago. Not a terrible idea.

I've determined the larger load is definitely the radar detector, so really I should just need to stop being lazy and pull the hardwire kit out of my nonrunning car and move it over, using a switched power source.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Phanatic posted:

It didn't kill him and he's still alive at the age of 93. But good job.
Gotta say, it's amazing how much hate you get for being basically the most grounded and empirical person on the forum.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its because usually someone comes in later that actually knows what they're talking about and then it turns out he was just confidently talking about poo poo he doesn't know about. :sun:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The weight is nearly irrelevant as friction force is proportional to load. So like say a truck tire has a coefficient of friction of 0.8. Put 1000lb load on it, it can generate 800lb of braking force. With a 10000lb load, it will generate 8000lb. What that means is it should be able to decelerate at the same rate (0.8g) regardless of load, but with more weight more heat is going into the brakes and tires.

That's not completely accurate as the reality of how tires work is that the cf is a curve that reaches a peak and then decreases with additional load, and also a sliding tire has less grip than a rolling tire. The change in cf with load is possibly not even that important here as truck tires and suspension and brakes are designed to work when loaded, not empty, so the cf of the tire is probably in the optimum region when there's stuff in the truck.

The more important thing is preventing the tires from locking up, as your cf drops off by like 20-30% when that happens and of course you are also sliding out of control. Air-powered drums are not very easy to control near the limit of traction. That volvo probably has disc brakes with abs which lets the truck brake basically right at the limit of what is physically possible whereas an older setup would have it lock up some or all of the tires, slide for an extra 100ft or so, and probably jackknife into the ditch.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 18, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cythereal posted:

From the "There were no good decisions leading up to this" files.

https://giant.gfycat.com/LividTameArgentineruddyduck.mp4

Ah yes, brexit.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/lBOlok9.mp4

I like how the box gets crushed so hard and so fast that it gets blackened by the friction as it tries to catch on fire.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/lBOlok9.mp4

I like how the box gets crushed so hard and so fast that it gets blackened by the friction as it tries to catch on fire.

I'm pretty sure the press is just dirty as hell

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

But enough about the corporate media, we're talking about a triphammer

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Piell posted:

If that was the case, the top of the box would have gotten smudged up as it got tapped down.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Kith posted:

If that was the case, the top of the box would have gotten smudged up as it got tapped down.

The amount of pressure applied may have something to do with the transfer of filth.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What the gently caress?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

You can almost hear him saying "... uh-huh, yep, gently caress my life."

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

What the gently caress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IiWik49vQQ

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subjunctive posted:

What the gently caress?

:patriot:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Holy poo poo.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Chase ended by crashing into an elementary school.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
fortunately the kids were all armed and were able to take out the bad guy

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
That channel has helped me understand a lot about policing in the USA.

Not all the encounters are 'gently caress yeah, police rah rah!' and the more you watch, the more you realise how quickly things can turn very bad.

(They also include cops making mistakes and also being bad cops - it's not one sided)

You also see how they often try very hard not to cap a guy when I personally would be mag dumping in the general direction of the bad guy waving a gun and threatening to kill me, whilst crying and making GBS threads my pants.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

so is there a reason that cop had to pull up behind the car and dump two magazines into the general vicinity of the driver's seat while driving with one hand instead of, say, hanging back and following from a safe distance while some other cops set up a roadblock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Watch the cop when he gets out, you can see that hes panicked and you can hear it in his voice through the whole chase. Guy was planning to keep going till he crashed or got away come hell or high water.