Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
So, end game ToA spoilers:

god drat this dungeon is the dumbest poo poo ever.

I get that the entire module is supposed to expand on the original Tomb of Horrors, but I expected updated traps and improvements in the intervening years. For example, one of the girls in our group got hit by the gender change trap and was incredibly miffed that her characters gender got swapped. Not upset, but absolutely annoyed. "How is that a trap? That's just loving stupid." and I can't really disagree. Also running across a metal fan placed in an inexplicable spot just really drives home how we went from a fun campaign to stupid dungeon design in a heart beat. What's next, instant TPK's if you push the wrong button? Roll a 1d6 and if it comes up 6 you lose because reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Elysiume posted:

also anyone who plays CN just wants to play a sociopath with no repercussions in a campaign where the DM banned evil alignments

I am trying to play CN, but I think I have ended up hitting CG at this point.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

User0015 posted:

Roll a 1d6 and if it comes up 6 you lose because reasons?

I mean that's basically the entire premise of ToA/ToH, so.....yes? "Rocks fall, everyone dies" is a trope for a reason.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm curious on if there's data on how much each alignment is chosen. I don't think I've ever seen people really go for LN.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ChaseSP posted:

I'm curious on if there's data on how much each alignment is chosen. I don't think I've ever seen people really go for LN.

That would be cool to see. Ln is easily the most boring thing so I'd expect it's almost never used.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I still maintain that "Basically batman" tells me, the dm, way more than "Lawful Good". And not just because memes.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
e: nvm

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
ravenclaw phoebe for me

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mastershakeman posted:

That would be cool to see. Ln is easily the most boring thing so I'd expect it's almost never used.

Unless you want to roleplay as a member of the Democratic party, I guess.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Lawful Neutral is fun if you are either 1. the sole straight man in a party full of morons and lunatics or 2. gunning for a character arc where you eventually cross over to LG or LE.

Shoutouts to 2E's description of Chaotic Neutral being "you're crazy! be crazy!"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm about to play a LN Hobgoblin Paladin and have been trying to think out her personality and have mostly settled on the straight man with a dry sense of humor and a soft spot for chaotic but cheerful idiots that remind her of goblins.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Glagha posted:

Hey I'm in a Hoard of the Dragon Queen game, as a player not a DM. I heard people complaining about HotDQ at some point but I don't remember why exactly. Could anyone explain their problems with it (preferably spoiler-free since I am actively playing in it).

Okay so to put it simply, it was an adventure written before the game rules had come out so all the encounters are basically designed by guess work. The result is the difficulty of fights is going to swing all over the place. Lots of instances where monsters were made stronger or weaker when rules came out but they didnt adjust the adventure, or monsters not included in the monster manual so they had to hurried find and replace with something. It's also a very by the numbers adventure in general with some weird story structure but that can be worked around if your DM is going the extra mile.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My naive innocent mind when it came to alignments way back when was worried that I wasn't good ENOUGH for the nicer alignments, but I wasn't a nonstop rear end in a top hat or crazy person that warranted the worse ones. Whether it was DnD's grid of "Are you an Scrupulous? Unscrupulous? anarchist?" deals.

I eventually settled into 'Neutral Good' most of the time because nobody ever seems to remember that alignment exists and are unsure how to critique someone who isn't at some far extreme. Or confusing people with Chaotic Whatever/Unaligned characters that would end up morally upstanding by default.

The "Worst" I get is characters wishing they were Agent 47 with no civilian deaths and fumbling their way towards that goal, instead of HK-47, basically :v: It's amazing what wistfully wishing you were a professional does to keep you on track from attacking babies, unless they honestly tried to murder you first.

These days my pals and I don't give a gently caress about alignment charts, and my longtime internet buddy jokes about how confused his in person friends are at 5th ed Detect Evil spam not working like they expect.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pollyanna posted:

Unless you want to roleplay as a member of the Democratic party, I guess.

Yeah it's basically be a regular person in the real world. Oooweeee

I should play the 2e chaotic neutral someday. I'm always an open minded character to accept the insanity of the rest of the party every single time , might as well join the fun

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Kaysette posted:

God, I love the lovely 5e Facebook group:

quote:

I hate alignment.

We never use alignment.

Alignment is dumb.

Ok. What do you do instead? Seriously. Do you make your players sign a social contract? Do you make it clear session zero you won't put up with any murder hobo shenanigans? Or do you simply abandon any plan to actually get anything done at all during gaming except for the raping and pillaging of every farm the players find? I say abandon...as the players and DM are now adversaries. The DM is now the law...be it that Ranger who finds the remains and tracks the party and takes half of them out at range, or the brother who carries his dead neice into town and the local priest casts speak with dead and finds out what happened....

Alignment is in game for one simple reason. It stops regular people from becoming in game psychopaths

Because when we don't use alignment, morals go gray, then black very quickly in any game I have ever been a part of.

There is a legitimate fear there. When players hear that alignment is getting ditched, there is a subconscious fear that the campaign is going to take a turn for the grimdark. As in, there's no alignment because every NPC is a bastard who will stab the party in the back given the slightest opportunity. If your players are going full murderhobo upon the removal of alignment, they may be assuming the worst from you (If the NPCs can't be trusted, better kill them first).

Incidentally, in designing reprisals for murderhobo behavior, there's a fine line between "actions have consequences" and "The DM is out to get us because we're not playing the game the way he wants". If you ratchet up the "consequences" to the party's murderhoboing too much (such as dropping an entire army on them or otherwise responding with overwhelming force), the players might take home the wrong lesson.

The upshot of all this is, that it's best for the DM and the players to talk it out outside the game to try to get on the same page. Sometimes the removal of alignment is done to make more complex characters, not more grimdark and edgy characters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ChaseSP posted:

I always picked Chaotic Good in the Infinity Engine games, because my teenaged take on it was "well, I want to be good, but I also don't want to be limited by the law when it comes to doing good"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Chaotic Good would be like 80% of players.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The other 20% are neutral evil.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

The upshot of all this is, that it's best for the DM and the players to talk it out outside the game to try to get on the same page. Sometimes the removal of alignment is done to make more complex characters, not more grimdark and edgy characters.

And sometimes the removal of alignment is done because it is stupid legacy bullshit that adds nothing to the game.

I mean, you're totally right that talking to the group and getting on the same page is a good thing to do, but who are y'all playing with such that removing a vague morality descriptor from the character sheets must be interpreted to mean everyone in the game world is a psycho arsehole?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Some people think Dungeons & Dragons is Grand Theft Auto with math

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I mean, I work in a nerd store and I see people every day that think that the 9 alignment system is a Platonic truth of human nature. I'm still kind of disturbed by the woman who, when her group decided to try playing RIFTS for a break from D&D, panicked because there was no Chaotic Neutral alignment in the game therefore it would be impossible for her to roleplay a character.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
in these trying times, I'm starting to get a feel for Siembieda's insistence that there is no such alignment as neutrality

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I played a LN scholar-type character who had a set of personal rules that weren't necessarily good or evil, but mainly focused on self-preservation and maintaining relationships with the people around her. So where she had some genuinely morally correct rules about interacting with people and the world around her (do right by people, try to foster friendship when you can, share what you have with those in need) she also had a really weird value system, like "do whatever it takes to survive, even if it means betraying the trust of those close to you." She never really ended up hurting any of the other party members since events never got to a point where it was necessary, but in the epilogue of the campaign she hurt a lot of people in an obsessive search for a path to godhood.

Now that I think about it... she was charismatic, thoughtful and intelligent, but wore those attributes as a mask to hide her anxiety and frustration that the world didn't conform to her vision of what was "right." She might have been a sociopath.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Elysiume posted:

also anyone who plays CN just wants to play a sociopath with no repercussions in a campaign where the DM banned evil alignments

I dunno, I find it hard to for rogues and thieves (and pirates and the like) to choose anything but chaotic neutral. Hey, I grew up skulking in shadows and picking pockets, but only from the bad guys, and only when the law permitted it!

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The only two alignments you need are "gently caress Tha Police!" and "I AM THE LAW!"

Everything else is window dressing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Razorwired posted:

The only two alignments you need are "gently caress Tha Police!" and "I AM THE LAW!"

*nods sagely*

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Razorwired posted:

Where does Huey Long fit into this alignment system

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Maybe they should move to a radial alignment chart that is more the character's general direction in life, plus how intensely they actually care about the whole thing - not every CN is going to be an insane sociopath, just like not every chaotic evil person is going to be the literal devil. Like a political compass, as opposed to 9 squares of personality

like this! :)

Druids should probably actually be lawful neutral

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Goffer posted:

I dunno, I find it hard to for rogues and thieves (and pirates and the like) to choose anything but chaotic neutral. Hey, I grew up skulking in shadows and picking pockets
I feel bad about my past and am trying to make amends (any good)

Or

I'm Urban Robin Hood, but when the king came back from the Crusades he didn't see things my way (chaotic or neutral good and on the run)

Or

I am/was a state endorsed spy/debt collector/plain clothes policeman/anything that has a clear set of lines I can't cross but otherwise I'm recommended to use my own judgement (lawful anything)

Alignment is trash, especially because it makes it harder to think outside the box.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Goffer posted:

not every chaotic evil person is going to be the literal devil.

:colbert: The devil is obviously LE.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The bard in my game last night did not understand "run away from gelatinous cubes" and kept getting engulfed through a series of poor rolling and positioning. A single cube almost took out a 5 person party of level 4 - and I had originally planned on spawning multiples to keep them moving through the puzzle.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 19, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Razorwired posted:

My alignment is ACAB.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

mastershakeman posted:

I just finished a game where I played a lawful neutral reptillian construct. Basically a fake kobold made by a wizard to be a minion. He was a huge sycophant and sucked up to whoever was acting like the leader at the time and hurried to follow their orders.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

inthesto posted:

Where does Huey Long fit into this alignment system

gently caress you, I am the law. With a window dressing of bribes.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just found out that there's literally a spell to marry people together, and now I want to play a paladin who's ducking his duties and running a side business officiating weddings, because crusading doesn't pay the bills

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Make sure to marry your whole party together before the final dungeon crawl for that sweet AC bonus. Cast heroes’ feast as the reception.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

inthesto posted:

I just found out that there's literally a spell to marry people together, and now I want to play a paladin who's ducking his duties and running a side business officiating weddings, because crusading doesn't pay the bills

a pact of the tome warlock following the guidance of his patron cake boss

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Do the marriage participants have to be willing? Are there limits to how many you can marry at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Do the marriage participants have to be willing? Are there limits to how many you can marry at once?

I'm not saying you can't do this in D&D but there are systems way better suited to it.