Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

thechalkoutline posted:

It'd also be competing against the Genesis G70, which is in the whole Stinger terrority too and has seen some favorable first looks.

The G70 is directly aimed at the compact luxury segment, e.g. 3-Series, A4. The impressions do make it sound like Hyundai is starting to nail suspension tuning. And the G70 can be had with a manual, though it may not be that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I know it’s comparing apples to oranges, but loving lol that a Focus RS has more power than the new top trim Supra.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Why is a big rear end sedan being compared to a two door sports car?

Mainly because the original was more of a GT car, at least in the final iterations and there are only so many RWD cars to compare to.

Look at it this way.

The GT86 tops out at about $30k.

370z, likely the closest competitor, ranges from $33k to $46k. However, it's only a two seater.

440i with top spec engine starts at $51k and is about $55k with all the options that Toyota will likely include as standard. The M Sport styled 440i is about $58k.

People are saying they can't price it the same as the BMW car it's stealing parts from, but I'm not so sure about that based on the hype around the car.

I'm thinking they can price it pretty drat close to 440i.

They have to have a healthy margin above the GT86 to start, but it can't go too high.

So, the general range is likely going to be from high 30s to mid 50s for the full spectrum of the model range with the every checkbox limited relaunch edition one hitting the upper end.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Honestly, if the chassis is well sorted and the interior decent, I'm a lot more interested in 260hp in the high 30s than I am in nearly 400 in the high 40s. I could see cross-shopping base models against the Miata, if it comes down to say $5k more for another 80hp. It's the niche Nissan thinks the 370Z occupies, except that the Z always seems to be less than the sum of its parts.

Edit: Except it won't have a manual, so it won't really compete with the Miata at all, gently caress everyone but Mazda.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Miata is really one of the very few cars which should have a manual at this point, a manual in a large GT car is just stupid as hell.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The 370z turns ten years old early next year. I don't know why Nissan keeps making them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

incels interlinked posted:

I'm just trying to imagine someone explaining they spent like $70,000 USD for a car with 'Gazoo' in the name

That's one of the best parts about it :colbert:

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
I think Toyota saw the six year hype buildup to the 2007 GT-R and decided to handle the Supra in a similar fashion but kind of underestimated how much of the GT-R's hype was due to it being the first global GT-R and being legitimately fast as gently caress for the price they were originally charging. It doesn't really work when all you have is a famous name and a fondly remembered 90s coupe.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FBS posted:

The 370z turns ten years old early next year. I don't know why Nissan keeps making them.

They keep selling them and the profit margins are huge

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Back in 1995 the list price of the Supra Turbo was around $48k, which adjusted for inflation would be $73500 today.

And that's from three years ago (inflation hasn't stopped).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

smooth jazz posted:

Looks mostly BMW in here, unless the interior is a mockup and the car is still 2 years out which is a possibility.

So let me get this straight

we go from

to

to

???

This sure doesn't feel like human progress to me.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They keep selling them and the profit margins are huge

It's basically one of 3, maybe 4, actually decent cars that Nissan makes.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone driven the G70 yet?

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

davebo posted:

Fair enough. As long as one extra turn doesn't affect airflow performance I'm fine with just getting rid of rear exhaust tips being visible. I mean eventually we'll have EV's which don't have them anyway, so let's get in the habit of designing rears that look interesting without them instead of tarting up fake ones forever.

The base bumper for the C-class (up to the C 200) actually doesn't have the fake exhausts but it's kind of rare to see one without some sort of appearance package.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

My '14 Mazda 3 had dual outlet exhaust but they hid it behind just a plain bumper, no fake exhaust or anything. I think that was the first car I ever noticed that on.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

TKIY posted:

Has anyone driven the G70 yet?

I've been trying to for the past two months. Genesis Canada has told me they won't have any manual G70's until Q3. They couldn't even give me a more exact date.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
2019 MX-5 Miata gets an additional 26hp, without any apparent fuel economy penalty.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-miatas-big-horsepower-bump-wont-hurt-fue-1827691616

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is it fast enough yet?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ND miatas already seem fast as poo poo at AX events I've been to. Man, a tilt and telescope wheel in a miata, that's really neato. The NA seems like a hair shirt by comparison.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
3lbft bump in torque, so I assume all that HP is just from raising the rev limit and probably intake tuning. I'm down.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The 3 ft/lb peak comes 600RPM earlier so that would suggest it’s making better power from 4000RPM to 7500RPM. If that assumption is true that means it’s making more power throughout and not just above the old 6800RPM redline.

I’m ridiculously excited about the 2019. I was originally going to get an S2000 next year but I wasn’t crazy about that since I already owned one new back in 2007. This seems like the perfect alternative because trying to find a low mile AP2 in good shape within a 500 mile radius would be a nightmare.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

High Five to Mazda for actually adding something great to an already great car. Im excited to drive it once the 2019 is available.
They could have done like some other manufactures, and just called it the 'mx-5 tS Tuned by Mazdaspeed Edition' while added some suspension tweaks and a stupid spoiler, and then called it a day.

Now can you guy get going on the next mazdaspeed3 or throwing a turbo on the Cx-5 please please please.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://youtu.be/LWcGJTd1fI4

These guys are talking about the 2019 being way better for tall people and are giving me false hope that I might fit in a Miata for once

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think Jakub is 6'1" so your dreams might be coming true if you're that size

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FBS posted:

These guys are talking about the 2019 being way better for tall people and are giving me false hope that I might fit in a Miata for once

They're also saying the power bump isn't all that noticeable :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
People say the same thing about the 1.6 vs 1.8 NBs and I don't buy it :colbert: Though obviously it's just 30 extra ponies so it's not going to blow you away.

E: I guess actually watching the video would've been helpful. They measure it a second faster to 100 which is a pretty big deal, though their results are a bit suspicious because 8.2 is about how long an NB takes.

prom candy posted:

I doubt they actually made the car any bigger so it's probably just the adjustable steering wheel.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 20, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FBS posted:

christ could those guys be any more canadian

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
frig off

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

prom candy posted:

I've got an inch on him so it will still be tough. If the telescoping wheel lets me lean back more then I may find enough headroom to make it work.

I fit fine in the BRZ :shrug: it's not fair

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Applebees Appetizer posted:

They're also saying the power bump isn't all that noticeable :(

Given the small bump in torque down low, it sorta makes sense.
If they're not revving it all the way to the limit.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

FBS posted:

I fit fine in the BRZ :shrug: it's not fair

I can't reach the upper cabinets in my kitchen, we all have our struggles

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

prom candy posted:

FWIW I'm 5'11'' and if I hit like a bump in an RF I would hit my head on the roof, I'm also shorter torso/longer legs so over 6' is def pushing the limits it seems

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://driving.ca/chrysler/auto-news/news/fcas-ceo-marchionne-replaced-immediately-due-to-serious-health-issues

quote:

FCA's CEO Marchionne replaced immediately due to serious health issues

Sergio Marchionne, the CEO of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), has been replaced with immediate effect from his position with the company due to serious and unforeseen complications from a recent surgery he had underwent, according to a statement from FCA.

The head of the Jeep brand, Mike Manley, has been given the powers of CEO and also assumes responsibility for the NAFTA region after a board of directors meeting yesterday; the board will reconvene in the next few days at a shareholders meeting to elect Manley to the board and will accelerate the CEO transition process that has been in place over the last few months. Louis Camilleri will replace Marchionne as CEO at Ferrari.

While the company offered no details as to the nature or extent of Marchionne’s issues, it says in a statement that the former CEO’s health problems have “worsened significantly in recent hours” and he is “unable to return to work”.

Marchionne, 66, an Italian-Canadian who had planned to step down from his CEO role at FCA next year, became the CEO of Fiat group in 2004 and returned it to profitability in just two years. The energetic leader, who has become known for his straight talk on the industry, later organized a merger of Fiat and Chrysler to create FCA and, since 2014, the company has wiped out US$12.5 billion in debt. According to FCA’s statement, the company will continue with the 2018-2022 Business Plan that was implemented by Marchionne, which is aimed at doubling profits and investing heavily in electric vehicles.

From the FCA press release.

quote:

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles communicates with profound sorrow that during the course of this week unexpected complications arose while Mr. Marchionne was recovering from surgery and that these have worsened significantly in recent hours.

Apparently he went in for shoulder surgery.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 22, 2018

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Brain dead or comatose.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'd go pulmonary embolism, but who knows. Tons of poo poo can go wrong after routine surgery.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
His doctor probably owned a Chrysler at some point

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CornHolio posted:

His doctor probably owned a Chrysler at some point

A concorde.
Probably.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That's pretty sad

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
RIP Italian man; alas, his body was as sturdy as the cars his company built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

RIP Italian man; alas, his body was as sturdy as the cars his company built.

I don't think they'd been able to keep it out of the news if he'd spontaneously caught fire.