Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rewatches unless noted:

Seven Samurai (1954, Akira Kurosawa) [Blu-ray] - 5/5
Brazil (1985, Terry Gilliam) [Blu-ray - director's cut] - 4.5/5
Rebecca (1940, Alfred Hitchcock) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Only Yesterday (1991, Isao Takahata) [DVD] - 3.5/5 new
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998, Terry Gilliam) [Blu-ray - director's cut] - 3.5/5
King of Jazz (1930, John Murray Anderson) [Blu-ray] - 4/5 new
Brand Upon the Brain! (2006, Guy Maddin) [DVD - Isabella Rossellini studio narration] - 3.5/5 new
The Innocents (1961, Jack Clayton) [Blu-ray] - 4/5 new

Persona (1966, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Breathless (1960, Jean-Luc Godard) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Stagecoach (1939, John Ford) [Blu-ray] - 5/5
Blow-Up (1966, Michelangelo Antonioni) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Wild Strawberries (1957, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 5/5
Foreign Correspondent (1940, Alfred Hitchcock) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Forbidden Games (1952, Rene Clement) [DVD] - 4/5
Ghost World (2001, Terry Zwigoff) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
A Constant Forge (2000, Charles Kiselyak) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

Writeups in my Criterion Vacation thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There was a charm to Trancers that I didn't expect to find that was definitely there, and it's worth seeing if you want to see someone try to rip off Blade Runner and Terminator at the same time on a budget. Helen Hunt is also wonderful in it for some reason (as long as you can ignore that she is rolling around in a confederate jacket for part of the movie for no reason at all) E: Apparently this is a series of films, I had no clue.

Ant Man & The Wasp is also a movie that has a lot of charm. The stakes are personal and low and the film is funny and it's a nice break from the generally serious comic films, so see it if you're looking for a comic pallet cleanser.

I saw The Time Travelers without the MST3K riffs for the first time and it's worth watching this way simply because all the riffing distracts from just how batshit some of the choices that were made in this movie were and how daring (remember, daring doesn't always mean successfully good) some of the choices were.

And Sorry for Bothering You is worth seeing if you're looking for some rather pointed commentary on race and capitalism delivered in a funny and nice to look at package; I think anyone who's worked in a call center should also really see this. Definitely one of the things I've liked most released this year.

E2: Oh, and The First Purge is worth seeing if you've seen these and ever wanted to see them try to justify how such an insane thing that the films treat as something that could actually happen comes to be; it's still completely insane but I guess after seeing like four of these movies I can at least track the logic behind the insanity.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 19, 2018

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A Face In The Crowd (1957, rewatch): A+
One of my favorite movies of all time. This movie came out almost sixty years before Trump and his golden elevator and predicted his rise (and inevitable fall) perfectly.

Wreck-It Ralph (2012): B
(This time I watched the entire movie). Vanellope was irritating at times and some of the jokes were obvious (the chanting guards outside King Candy's castle being Oreos is a joke that's been done 100,000 times before). But overall, a pretty good film. Makes me miss classic video gaming, before it became a super-serious ""sport"" filled with fourteen year olds shouting the n-word online.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dr No - 4/5
Got the Bond collection on bluray and man this movie still holds up. Great pacing, Sean Connery sets the Bond mannerisms perfectly in this first movie. Regretting never watching the old Bond movies until now.

Equalizer 2 - 2/5
Equalizer 1 was one of the most fun movies the year it came out in. I had high expectations for this and kinda ended up underwhelming. Denzel was great as usual but the story was awful.. Too many random side stories and main story was the simplest poo poo ever. The first one had a simple story too but the execution was fast and efficient while this was slow as hell.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Freejack (1992) - 3/5
Anthony Hopkins literally phones it in in this weird early 90s sci-fi adaptation. It's a bit cyber-punky, a bit-Total Recally, and a bit naff. It's a bundle of fun though, especially with Jonathan Banks hamming it up good and proper and Mick Jagger (yes, Mick Jagger) playing the main bad guy. His acting is a treat. Not that it's good of course, far from it, just that it's brilliant to watch. You never really know what he's going for in any scene or line delivery so you're always left guessing. Emilio Estevez is his usual personality-free self and Rene Russo is there I guess, but it's all about Jagger and Banks and Hopkins' weird "for the money" acting. A solid watch.

Interesting fact, Freejack is the movie Brad Pitt's character is watching in True Romance when James Gandolfini comes calling.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Along with the Gods: The Two World (2017) - 5/5

Fantastic movie coming out of Korean and I loved it from start to finish. The story made me tear up at times, the action scenes were really well done, and the CGI was fantastic.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Watched a few Tom Cruise movies in anticipation to Mission Impossible Fallout.

The Mummy (2017) - 2/5
Tom is actually pretty good in this and tries to be a cocky bastard but the plot/cgi/tone is awful. I know they didn't want to copy the 90s Mummy but man this had 0 charm and everyone was unlikeable. Russell Crowe is wasted, Tom Cruise tries his best and that's it.

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - 5/5
Tom plays a sleazy bastard in this one but slowly becomes into a hero of sorts. Really loved this. This was basically Groundshog Day in a alien invasion setting. It was so loving good. Anyone who likes Sci fi, time travel or Tom Cruise this movie is great. One of my favorite Tom Cruise movies.

Oblivion (2013) - 3/5
This was a pretty underwhelming movie but it did have some redeeming qualities unlike the Mummy reboot. The soundtrack by M83 is phenomenal, the cinematography creates some breathtaking moments. Unfortunately the plot is horrible and convoluted. Also Tom Cruise isn't really good in this. So much CGI, doesn't really fit him as he is known for doing his own stunts.

I might watch the Tom Cruise cocaine movie before going to Mission impossible.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Barry Lyndon - 3.5/4, saw 35mm last night. Very cheeky takedown of 1700's culture, almost like a greek tragedy where everything is fated to happen. Very cool, well acted, the candlelight scenes are so bright you wouldnt know it was so difficult to film them. Barely even felt the 3hr runtime too, but the music was a touch overpowering in a couple bits.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Puzzle (2018) - B

Take your grandma to the movies. She'll love it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cool World - 0/5

Can't even recommend it as a fun bad movie. It's an incomprehensible mess that no-one should suffer through. It should've destroyed all their careers and I have no idea why it didn't.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Ghostbusters (2016) - 2/5

So I finally watched this after missing it when it came out. Since this had a big internet controversy stirred up by MRA garbagemen because they let girls in the playhouse, I guess I need to point out that I always want those people to gently caress off whenever they talk about anything. I liked the original movie but I was fine with a sequel/reboot/whatever, even if it was completely different, as long as it had some good jokes in it. I think I went into it with a pretty neutral attitude.

This movie is pretty bad.

Having seen everybody in it be funny in other places, I'm pretty sure that the problem is that the writing is just dull as all gently caress. So much of the dialogue just feels like generic filler to move the plot from A to B, or the straight (wo)man's setup for a punchline that never materializes. Every comedy doesn't need to shotgun 10 jokes a second, but so much of this movie is lifeless dead space that it's kind of alarming. It's a comedy with a thudding lack of wit, just in general.

It's also a film that seems to be wrapped up in depicting its protagonists as realistically miserable about the fact that they're hated by stupid people for dumb reasons. You might think this is an interesting hook for a Ghostbusters movie hated by stupid people for dumb reasons before it ever came out, but it seems to have nothing to say about it except that life is depressing because the world is full of assholes. It's just weirdly defeatist; even in victory everything feels oddly flat.

The entire supernatural world is also less threatening than the original, and more just an avalanche of candy-colored CGI. Everything always felt inconsequential and weightless. I probably wouldn't have cared so much if this was a funnier movie, but everything felt like a brightly colored cartoon nothing.

I don't want to say it was a total loss, and you had moments where the actors managed to turn nothing into something, but taken all together this was just profoundly mediocre.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974): A

Caught this by accident when I got bored watching The World Is Not Enough on Starz. Excellent film that I enjoyed a whole lot more than TWINE. I get the sense that Kris Kristofferson basically played Kris Kristofferson in every movie role he had (this isn't a criticism but an observation).

Ellen Busrtyn said, both in the film (as her character Alice Hyatt) and outside of it that she wasn't a very good singer. I disagree. Her singing voice had (has?) a breathy quality to it that I liked. She obviously wasn't a trained singer, but she did a very convincing job as a would-be lounge singer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Persona - 91/100
Leave No Trace - 74/100
Mission Impossible: Fallout - 65/100
Midnight Cowboy (rewatch) - 92/100
The Squid and the Whale (rewatch) - 89/100
The Silence of the Lambs (rewatch) - 89/100
Crumb (rewatch) - 93/100

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Some Came Running (1958): B+
Suddenly (1954): B+

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 2, 2018

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Transformers: The Last Knight (2017, d. Bay; Hulu; laptop) - 8.5/10 - This is the first Transformers movie I watched since the first one back in 2008(?). Actually I've watched it twice but fell asleep just before the ending both times. However I have to praise it as a tour de force of dreamlike madness, a symphony of noise and beautiful fractal violence. Art.
13 Assassins (2010, d. Miike; Netflix; laptop) (4th or 5th watch) - 9/10 - GOD this movie is so good.
The Void (2016, d. Gillespie & Kostanski; Netflix; laptop) - 6.5/10 - Wanted to like this one as it seems like a scrappy little production, but found it v. underwhelming.
Life After Beth (2014, d. Baena; Netflix; laptop) - 8/10 - Not sure if I found this as funny as I did because I watched it between 3 and 5 AM drunk but I gotta call them like I (sorta) see 'em John C. Reilly and Dane Dehaan are both v. good ofc., but Aubrey Plaza doesn't actually have to do much.
Thor Ragnorok (2017, d. Waititi; Netflix; laptop) - 8/10 - This is pretty much the best of the Marvel movies, which is faint praise but there you are.
I, Tonya (2017, d. Gillespie; Hulu; TV) (3rd watch) - 9.1/10 - Very disappointed to finally remember that The Big Lebowski came out in 1998 and realize Gilloolly is saying "shut up Tawny," not "shut up DONNY" in the scene after they visit the coach's house
Serenity (2005, d. Whedon; Netflix; TV) - lmao/10 - Probably should have left Firefly back in the happy halls of dim memory

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 2, 2018

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Spice World (1996): D

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm curious what score you expected before watching it.

I saw Outland tonight, cool grungy space vibe like in Alien, and a surprisingly straightforward story with labor politics that are just as relevant today. The visuals are the main star but the sidekick doctor is second best :)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
hell yea, watched that movie when I was like 11-12 with my Dad who swore up and down it was great and he was right.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Harime Nui posted:

Serenity (2005, d. Whedon; Netflix; TV) - lmao/10 - Probably should have left Firefly back in the happy halls of dim memory

In retrospect Firefly was just a nice novelty show for its era, but somehow became A Thing. The movie is quite a bit less than that. It doesn't really work as a standalone OR as a continuation of the series; it's in a creative dead zone where character development from the TV show (such as it was) is dropped for no discernible reason, while all the new things that were added were actually WORSE than what had been set up in the TV show. The villain is a moron's idea of a clever villain to the nth degree, speaking almost entirely in catchphrase meant to sound deep that don't actually say poo poo.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

got any sevens posted:

I'm curious what score you expected before watching it.

I was definitely expecting in the sub-C range, and I wasn't disappointed; at least in that sense. Spice World was trying so hard to be a modern A Hard Day's Night, but the Spice Girls didn't have the charisma or talent of the Beatles, and instead of being quirky good, their movie was slapdash throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I was definitely expecting in the sub-C range, and I wasn't disappointed; at least in that sense. Spice World was trying so hard to be a modern A Hard Day's Night, but the Spice Girls didn't have the charisma or talent of the Beatles, and instead of being quirky good, their movie was slapdash throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks.

That's the real girl power

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Lethal Weapon 4: B

Ah, the cheesy 90s action flick, readily distinguished from its 80s cousin by a certain self-awareness of how silly the whole thing is. The final installment of the Lethal Weapon series is my favorite of the bunch, as I prefer my over-the-top bombastic action movies to look like everyone's having fun and not pretending this is serious gritty action drama. Not all the jokes land, the "Rogers thinks Butters is gay and attracted to him!" jokes wore thin immediately and I'm still puzzled why Leo hangs out with these guys, but on the whole I think LW4 clicked pretty well as an action movie that doesn't take itself seriously. This was also Jet Li's first big Hollywood role as the film's villain, and he gets a lot done with a largely non-speaking role - I think he only gets half a dozen lines in the entire movie, none of them in English, but that doesn't really matter when he can pull off an unstoppable badass so well who communicates chiefly with violence and arrogant smirks he more than backs up.

Not one of the greats of the genre, but well above average.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just saw The Breaker Upperers and it's pretty good.
It's pretty uneven, but the movie knows it's there to deliver the laughs and the hits outweigh the misses. It's a comedy movie that's pretty good and has an original enough premise and fresh jokes, even if the plot beats are conventional and oddly paced.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If you ever wondered what Batman would be like if instead of a billionaire he was a Lyft Driver, then the Equalizer II might be for you. A lot of the slice of life stuff was somehow more cheesy than the last film, but the action is solid stuff and Denzel really spins straw into gold.

Eighth Grade was pretty darn good. I think you should totally see it if you were ever an awkward kid. I mean, some of the moments are so awkward that it is painful, but I dunno, it's all worth it, it's really smart.

I had never seen Pulp Fiction before but when I finally saw it I learned that I practically had seen it because almost the entire film has been mined by pop culture. I'd argue it's important to see those films even if you might not necessarily like them, but I did find it pretty enjoyable when I finally got the rhythm of it.

You should see Liquid Sky if you want to see how heroin loving aliens intersect with the New York post-punk scene of the late 70s.

The House on Sorority Row should be seen if you want to see a late 70s slasher film that has all the camp that films of that era generally have, with just a bit of artistic sheen to it.

It's sat on my DVR for almost two years, but I finally got around to watching Killing the Colorado. I'm glad I did, and you should definitely see it (it's free all over the internet) if you are the type of person who finds people talking about Water Rights for a couple hours to be entertaining.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

sean10mm posted:

In retrospect Firefly was just a nice novelty show for its era, but somehow became A Thing. The movie is quite a bit less than that. It doesn't really work as a standalone OR as a continuation of the series; it's in a creative dead zone where character development from the TV show (such as it was) is dropped for no discernible reason, while all the new things that were added were actually WORSE than what had been set up in the TV show. The villain is a moron's idea of a clever villain to the nth degree, speaking almost entirely in catchphrase meant to sound deep that don't actually say poo poo.

The movie is absolutely brought down by what a thinly-written character The Operative is. I think if you take yourself back to 2005 there was something interesting about the idea of nemesis-as-cipher, but watching it now he's just a collection of cool lines. But honestly the thing that kills it for me is how literally they take the "space western" thing. The dialect Mal, Kaylee and to an extent Zoe speak absolutely couldn't be done outside a time where steampunk was still sort of a novelty. Characters speaking the way confederate generals would write letters was kinda fresh and funny. Looked back at a decade on though, it just kinda kills the setting as this weird hyperaffected theatrical thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rick posted:

I had never seen Pulp Fiction before but when I finally saw it I learned that I practically had seen it because almost the entire film has been mined by pop culture.

To be fair, Pulp Fiction itself shamelessly mines 50 years of pop culture in film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Harime Nui posted:

The movie is absolutely brought down by what a thinly-written character The Operative is. I think if you take yourself back to 2005 there was something interesting about the idea of nemesis-as-cipher, but watching it now he's just a collection of cool lines. But honestly the thing that kills it for me is how literally they take the "space western" thing. The dialect Mal, Kaylee and to an extent Zoe speak absolutely couldn't be done outside a time where steampunk was still sort of a novelty. Characters speaking the way confederate generals would write letters was kinda fresh and funny. Looked back at a decade on though, it just kinda kills the setting as this weird hyperaffected theatrical thing.

It's a bit infested with pseudo-libertarian artifice, but both the show and the movie to me are still strong enough based on the cast's chemistry alone.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also I know this is a petty dumb thing to get het up about but, even when I saw the movie in theaters I thought it was bullshit that basically a dude who was just an infantryman and then a spacepirate and knows how to use his fists is able to go toe-to-toe with this ultra-Seal Team 6-Plus Ultra Trained-From-Birth Weapon X dude and basically punch him a lot until said Space Pirate wins, like..... what? If the Operative couldn't reliably kill dudes all the time with his sword is he just an idiot for using it?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Christopher Robin (2018): A
Better than expected.

Mame (1974): C
Weird movie. Lucy croaks out the musical numbers like a 2+ packs a day smoker (which she probably was).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Harime Nui posted:

if the rest of the movie were that stagey and ridiculous it would be a big improvement

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Weird movie. Lucy croaks out the musical numbers like a 2+ packs a day smoker (which she probably was).

Have you seen Auntie Mame from 1958? It’s my wife’s favorite movie, and after watching it a few times I can see why she loves it so much. Rosalind Russell is a much better Mame character than Lucy, and the actor who plays Beauregard is MUCH better than Robert Preston was, who seemed to be at his lowest effort in that role.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

InterrupterJones posted:

Have you seen Auntie Mame from 1958? It’s my wife’s favorite movie, and after watching it a few times I can see why she loves it so much. Rosalind Russell is a much better Mame character than Lucy, and the actor who plays Beauregard is MUCH better than Robert Preston was, who seemed to be at his lowest effort in that role.

I haven't, but I'd like to. I've read that even Bea Arthur, who had a fairly prominent role in this movie, thought that it was a disaster and that Lucy was miscast.

The movie might make more sense with actors that make better sense in the role.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In Cold Blood (1967, Richard Brooks) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Life of Emile Zola (1937, William Dieterle) [DVD] - 3.5/5
Naked Lunch (1991, David Cronenberg) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
A Matter of Life and Death (1947, Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger) [Blu-ray] - 5/5 rewatch
The Color of Pomegranates (1969, Sergei Parajanov) [Blu-ray] - 5/5 rewatch
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (1985, Paul Schrader) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
From Up on Poppy Hill (2011, Goro Miyazaki) [Blu-ray - subtitled] - 3.5/5
Street Angel (1927, Frank Borzage) [DVD] - 4/5
Seventh Heaven (1927, Frank Borzage) [DVD] - 3/5

Lucky Star (1929, Frank Borzage) [DVD] - 4/5
The Rules of the Game (1939, Jean Renoir) [Blu-ray] - 4.25/5 rewatch
It Happened One Night (1934, Frank Capra) [Blu-ray] - 5/5 rewatch
Sweet Smell of Success (1957, Alexander Mackendrick) [Blu-ray] - 5/5 rewatch
Blind Chance (1981, Kryzstof Kieslowski) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Tom Jones (1963, Tony Richardson) [Blu-ray - theatrical cut] - 4.5/5
Women in Love (1970, Ken Russell) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Love Goddesses (1965, Saul Turrell) [Filmstruck] - 3.25/5
Walkabout (1971, Nicolas Roeg) [Filmstruck] - 4.75/5

W.R. Mysteries of the Organism (1971, Dušan Makavejev) [Filmstruck] - 2.5/5
What We Do in the Shadows (2014, Jemaine Clement/Taika Waititi) [Amazon Prime] - 4/5
Patriotism (1966, Yukio Mishima) [DVD] - 4/5
Speedy (1928, Ted Wilde) [Blu-ray] - 4/5 rewatch
Female Trouble (1974, John Waters) [Filmstruck] - 4/5

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

But how good is she at Q-Bert?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Women in Love (1970, Ken Russell) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

The criterion blu of this is exquisite and I hope it signals further commitment on their part to restore his catalogue. I dunno how likely The Devils or The Boy Friend would be, but Mahler, The Music Lovers seem like no-brainers. Russell is one of my absolute favorite directors.

Oh, man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNUZ0f4zcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjFsciRauU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

W.R. Mysteries of the Organism (1971, Dušan Makavejev) [Filmstruck] - 2.5/5

Not a fan of sexy times, comrade?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Black Kkklansman - 4.5/5. The better Sorry to Bother You. John David Washington and Adam Driver kill it, and the supporting cast are all pretty great as well. Probably Spike Lee's best since the 90s.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Mary Shelley: A

My wife and I basically watched this one on a whim, and it was utterly fascinating. You have to be more or less into historical dramas - my wife's main genre - but it has a lot of solid acting and a very well written script. There were a few weird editing moments and some contrivances that seemed to be created for the sake of it being a movie, though I'm admittedly not sure how faithful it is to the true life events of Mary Shelley. On the whole though, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mission Impossible : Fallout - 5/5

One of the best action movies imo. Tom Cruise and Henry Cavill are great in this movie. Also this movie is so intense there is almost no down time which I love in action movies.

The Meg - 3/5

This is a pretty goofy big budget shark movie which we don't really see ever. Jason Statham plays the role he plays in every single movie as a cocky bad rear end and I like him a lot so I liked this movie. Also lots of Chinese people in this movie because it was co produced for a Chinese which seems to be a trend these days but I liked all the Chinese actors.

Avengers - Infinity War 4/5

I normally hate super hero movies but this one was pretty entertaining because of how different the ending was compared to the usual superhero movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ulio posted:

Mission Impossible : Fallout - 5/5

One of the best action movies imo. Tom Cruise and Henry Cavill are great in this movie. Also this movie is so intense there is almost no down time which I love in action movies.

I couldn't believe how far up its own rear end the story was, tho. Every pause in action was filled with absolute drivel meaningless dialogue and terrible ad lib comedy. By the time Luther is tearfully giving the speech about how Ethan's wife lives off the radar now because what if their marriage were to inhibit his ability to SAVE THE WORLD? I was fairly inured to the film's laughable narrative ambition. By that point there were several women in the audience that were laughing almost uncontrollably, which was more entertaining than the movie itself.