Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The Fool posted:

I've got an office full of elitebooks and slimline docks, ama.

How’s reliability and can you get an extended warranty and battery service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vargatron posted:

Get out. Now.

Eh, i've already got an idea on how we'll replace it/move over to it if he does die. If not i'm planning to be out of here in a couple of years (i really don't want to "get out" 3 times in less than a year, 2 already looks bad).

Worst comes to worst we get a couple of weeks worth of stress while I get us moved over to a company that will handle it properly, then i'll probably get a raise for saving the business. :shrug:

Not overly worried, its just work, this place is laid back enough that I would probably welcome the stress.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LionYeti posted:

Pretty reliable and yes and yes. I still get warranties for 9470/9480 models and those are old now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Dude, you need to get that sleep. Even if you need to get a prescription from your physician for sleeping pills. Sleep is when your brain starts detoxifying itself of all the poo poo it had to deal with while you were awake, and short-changing it seriously fucks things up. Guarantee that if you got 8 solid hours of sleep a night then things will start to settle in place and the avalanche of poo poo you're dealing with will subside somewhat. Can't promise it will all go away, but problems won't seem so insurmountable, solutions will appear more frequently, and you'll be better able to deal with the daily grind.

Thanks guys :unsmith:

In my case 6-7 actually seems to be the magic number. With 8 or more I get even more tired for some reason. Problem with sleeping pills is that they make me sleep for 12 hours (same with seroquel even). I've always had sleep problems actually, up until 4 years ago or so it wouldn't have been at all possible for me to have a day job because I couldn't sleep until 5AM and couldn't reliably get up until 3 PM or so.

I have an ativan prescription and it seems like the key is to take them and make absolutely sure that I go to bed while they're working. That's difficult in its own sense, but at least then I get some sleep.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Whatup, 6-7 hours buddy!

8 hours or more makes me groggy as poo poo.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Today I came back from retaking a foundation level exam for software testing, and I somehow ended up performing WORSE.
The first time I took the exam I got a 57; now after even harder studying (and more time to study) I got a 47.

I also realized that I had taken the wrong standard exam for the second time (ASTQB) instead of ISTQB, which I had done coursework on.

My father is adamant in forcing me to take a third exam within a week because I NEED THAT CERTIFICATE FOR THAT INTERVIEW still. Do I?

Are you applying for a qa position? Does the job require this cert or is it just nice to have?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Half an hour into today and I just want to walk out the door. I actually had a good evening, a poster in TFR just found out he doesn’t have ALS. And now I’m hiding in the bathroom phone posting, wishing I could afford to just be unemployed and look full time for a while.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I wish you the best man. But it is easier to find another job while you are employed.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I know everyone is different, but I used to have all kinds of problems getting to sleep. Now I have a “no screens” rule in bed and I started punishing my body at the gym and taking melatonin. It works wonders.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Half an hour into today and I just want to walk out the door. I actually had a good evening, a poster in TFR just found out he doesn’t have ALS. And now I’m hiding in the bathroom phone posting, wishing I could afford to just be unemployed and look full time for a while.

Please do this for yourself, find a new job now. Not even something in IT, you don't have to work in IT, literally anything sounds better than your current situation. Dig holes outside for a bit, be a garbage man, park ranger, anything. Life is way too short to feel how you feel and do nothing about it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please do this for yourself, find a new job now. Not even something in IT, you don't have to work in IT, literally anything sounds better than your current situation. Dig holes outside for a bit, be a garbage man, park ranger, anything. Life is way too short to feel how you feel and do nothing about it.

This is 100% the case. Especially now, most markets are real good for finding a new job. Just do something other than stay at your current situation. It takes a lot of effort to work and jobhunt but you really need to leave asap

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CLAM DOWN posted:

being a park ranger would be awesome.

and you would be part of the resistance that way as well

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

LionYeti posted:

Out of the 80 I'm directly responsible for I've had 2 need service in the last 3 years. And like was mentioned above extended warranties are available.

Also, like mentioned above, avoid thunderbolt docks, we've had nothing but issues with the handful of those that we have. The slimline/sidelock docking stations have been working great though.

22 Ear-G, if you don't mind, what led to the change at your workplace? Maybe I missed a crucial post, by last I remember ,as of a few months ago you were working through a PiP and things were looking promising. It sounded like your director had your back and you were doing a bunch of report writing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I finally finished with the reports (thankfully) but then nothing happened for a few months and I started slacking off (my fault) and I got in trouble for it. Started working my rear end off, but the stress of working that hard while moving and having personal problems must have made me unpleasant.

I already applied for one job, going to keep applying. I’m also starting on a MEAN stack project to pull Steam data and put it into an easily organized format based off of a bunch of criteria. First practical experience with web dev stuff, hopefully I can move into something involving those things or just another ERP admin job now that I’ve been doing it for a year and a half.

Anyone know of anyone looking for a junior dev in the Boulder / Longmont area? AS in CS, hobby Java and C# but my Github projects kind of suck compared to what I can do after doing “programming” in a giant Excel workbook for a year.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 19, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Not gonna lie, if being a park ranger paid better I'd quit and become one right now. I'm too accustomed to a high paycheque unfortunately.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I finally finished with the reports (thankfully) but then nothing happened for a few months and I started slacking off (my fault) and I got in trouble for it. Started working my rear end off, but the stress of working that hard while moving and having personal problems must have made me unpleasant.

I already applied for one job, going to keep applying. I’m also starting on a MEAN stack project to pull Steam data and put it into an easily organized format based off of a bunch of criteria. First practical experience with web dev stuff, hopefully I can move into something involving those things or just another ERP admin job now that I’ve been doing it for a year and a half.

Anyone know of anyone looking for a junior dev in the Boulder / Longmont area? AS in CS, hobby Java and C# but my Github projects kind of suck compared to what I can do after doing “programming” in a giant Excel workbook for a year.

Start going to MeetUp groups if you can. That's a really great way to network, especially in programming fields.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not gonna lie, if being a park ranger paid better I'd quit and become one right now. I'm too accustomed to a high paycheque unfortunately.

It's pretty much impossible to become a park ranger in the US right now, so anyone suggesting that isn't really living in reality.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Should I get a Meraki or an Aironet for my work? 3 floors, max 250 people and about 8-10 AP for coverage. Most staff use ethernet, so it's mostly for mobile devices and guest network.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is Unifi an option? Because if so, my answer is that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Should I get a Meraki or an Aironet for my work? 3 floors, max 250 people and about 8-10 AP for coverage. Most staff use ethernet, so it's mostly for mobile devices and guest network.

I would only recommend meraki if the location needs to be managed remotely as a primary means to manage those systems. If its just for your internal network you are paying a lot extra for features you don't even use.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Internet Explorer posted:

Unfortunately no VARs sell it round here.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RFC2324 posted:

My old job used to do the tech support for the souvenir shop/food court on Liberty Island, and the first time I had to go out there on the employee ferry the guard asked if I was a new park ranger and I felt very oddly complimented by it.

Also seeing the rangers in smokey hats walking out the side door at Federal Hall always makes me smile for some reason.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 19, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Inspector_666 posted:

My old job used to do the tech support for the souvenir shop/food court on Liberty Island, and the first time I had to go out there on the employee ferry the guard asked if I was a new park ranger and I felt very oddly complimented by it.

I hope you told them you were with UNATCO.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Schadenboner posted:

I hope you told them you were with UNATCO.

I was fired for breaking open every box on the island repeatedly.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Inspector_666 posted:

I was fired for breaking open every box on the island repeatedly.

nsf001/smashthestate

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

I am looking to migrate from unifi to extreme. Price is not much more, and i think the product has some features that unifi is missing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Do you have to manage it? Do you resent having to manage it? Is is somebody else's money? If so, get Meraki.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, Meraki AP's are super painless, if someone else is willing to spend the money it's worth it to just never have any headaches with your wireless ever again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're getting Meraki because it's not my money and we'd rather spend more on tech that works than on more people to manage poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To clarify - I have no doubt that you could take a Cisco / Aruba / Aerohive network and tweak the radio settings to give you better performance for a select group of clients and use cases than you would achieve with Meraki's fairly limited amount of controls, but the majority of people don't really need peak throughput on a Wi-Fi solution - they just want something that clients can reliably connect to, doesn't drop Skype / Wi-Fi calls as they roam around, and is quick enough to not feel slow. Meraki ticks that box, and if there's any problems you can just palm it off to their support.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GreenNight posted:

Yes but make sure you go with side docks and not the loving terrible thunderbolt docks.

Seconding this. The 2013 slimline dock is great. The Thunderbolt dock sucks balls and has awful driver support.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

The Fool posted:

Yeah, Meraki AP's are super painless, if someone else is willing to spend the money it's worth it to just never have any headaches with your wireless ever again.

Allow me to quote from my previous job's helpdesk, just yesterday:
Receptionist: "Client can't connect to the wireless!"
Helpdesk: "Unfortunately [we're on Meraki so] literally nothing I can do to help you there."

It's easy to set up but for troubleshooting your options are basically 'welp, go find them an ethernet cable.'

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 19, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

adorai posted:

I am looking to migrate from unifi to extreme. Price is not much more, and i think the product has some features that unifi is missing.

If you mean the Extreme WiNG APs, then it will be like night and day.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sheep posted:

Allow me to quote from my previous job's helpdesk, just yesterday:
Receptionist: "Client can't connect to the wireless!"
Helpdesk: "Unfortunately [we're on Meraki so] literally nothing I can do to help you there."

It's easy to set up but for troubleshooting your options are basically 'welp, go find them an ethernet cable.'

I'm sorry that you have a bad helpdesk.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

To clarify - I have no doubt that you could take a Cisco / Aruba / Aerohive network and tweak the radio settings to give you better performance for a select group of clients and use cases than you would achieve with Meraki's fairly limited amount of controls, but the majority of people don't really need peak throughput on a Wi-Fi solution - they just want something that clients can reliably connect to, doesn't drop Skype / Wi-Fi calls as they roam around, and is quick enough to not feel slow. Meraki ticks that box, and if there's any problems you can just palm it off to their support.

ive always wondered about the whole skype call while you wander. do people actually carry their laptops around while on a skype call?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

The Fool posted:

I'm sorry that you have a bad helpdesk.

There are a lot of things that Meraki does well but wireless troubleshooting is not one of them, though the new beta tools go some way toward alleviating this.

Edit: let's not forget these patch notes from the current stable wireless firmware:

quote:

Known issues
Condition under investigation that causes VoIP RTP packet loss (MR42/MR52/MR53)
Condition under investigation causes 2.4GHz radios to become unresponsive (MR32/MR72)
Condition under investigation causes radios to become unresponsive for 5 seconds in high density networks (MR34/MR32/MR72/MR26)
Condition under investigation causes lower than expected throughput on the 2.4GHz radio (MR26/MR34)

If you accept that your 'stable' firmware is unstable then okay I guess.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 19, 2018

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I'll probably try to push the Meraki then. Pretty much have the carte blanche to do the needful

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RFC2324 posted:

ive always wondered about the whole skype call while you wander. do people actually carry their laptops around while on a skype call?

We're moving our phone service over to Teams now that we can hook up our own lines to it, no more desk phones. Just a mobile and a Plantronics mobile dock thing when they're available.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

We're moving our phone service over to Teams now that we can hook up our own lines to it, no more desk phones. Just a mobile and a Plantronics mobile dock thing when they're available.

right, but are people wandering the office, laptop open in one hand, while taking calls?

Actually, given that cell phones do wifi calling, thats a valid one, but the skype one just seems weird.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're using the mobile apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Hey has anyone said DON'T DATE ROBOTS yet? Oops, I mean DON'T USE UNIFI!

Because don't use Unifi for real business. I refuse to rewrite the giant posts I've made about it in the past, but suffice it to say that while their products have improved and generally function (my house WiFi is Unifi), they don't hold up under real usage. Maybe the new generation is different. But having been burned twice, I wouldn't do it again until someone showed me hard proof of a Unifi AP gracefully handling 40+ heavy-use clients for hours on end. And even then....