Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Nurge posted:

I noticed that there's a difference between the "hunger" bullshit your brain sends out, and actual hunger pangs when your body thinks you need to eat. Both are ignorable, but the first one is actually important to ignore. It'll make you feel like poo poo for a short bit when you do, but at least for me after about a week the bullshit fake signals stopped and I started feeling a lot better in general. I think someone earlier in the thread said it's your brain being conditioned to meal times or something, and that seems like it's probably the same thing.

No kidding. I’m 85 hours into a 120 hour fast and the total time I spent feeling physical hunger was like... 45 minutes. Granted that was a rough 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bardeh posted:

I stopped having my 3-4 beers a night and have started a 1500 calorie diet as of 4 days ago. I don't feel particularly hungry, and I'm not craving the beer, but I do feel like poo poo. Cold/flu symptoms, a cough, and general lack of energy and motivation. Partly this is because I have a 5 year old and he brings germs home from school all the time, but this poo poo is lingering for longer than usual.

Is this relatively normal while my body adjusts or something?

There is something called the "keto flu" that may or may not be bullshit, but it sounds a lot like that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just... don't put oil in it?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
why even eat salad then?
get down on all fours and eat the lawn like a loving animal.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Weighed myself last night and im down to 148 from 155 after about 2 weeks. Working out 4 times a week and eating 1500 calories

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

I love da share zone but I'd bet $1000 the person behind it is really fat

Salad is great, raw veggies are the best weightloss food ever

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

You can make salad dressing by mixing equal parts protein powder and water with a coffee stirrer, real nice looks like cum

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
It's really a confidence boost when someone asks you if you've lost weight and you can confirm. That means it's visible that you're doing well! :)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ill be honest i buy the bag of ice berg salad, dump a can of tuna/sardines in it, and liberally apply the zesty italian.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
What is "cheese flares me up"

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

numberoneposter posted:

ill be honest i buy the bag of ice berg salad, dump a can of tuna/sardines in it, and liberally apply the zesty italian.

WHOA

slow down you absolute mad lad

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kak posted:

What is "cheese flares me up"

When you get horned up from eating a wheel of brie

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

When you get horned up from eating a wheel of brie

i get rock hard on camembert

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I could eat better.

Lets say one baby back ribs gives you two for free.

Thems a lot of ribs. Do you use them for taste that can last a few days in a rice + vegetables? or in its own matter of being?

I understand that, before freezing your discounted meat, it is best to marinade beforehand.

Live and learn.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 20, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

It's really a confidence boost when someone asks you if you've lost weight and you can confirm. That means it's visible that you're doing well! :)

"No, I just bought a shirt that fits."

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Chinatown posted:

i get rock hard on camembert

The harder the cheese, the harder my dick.

Gimme that rind.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Lost 4 pounds so far on the Huel diet. I twirl for breakfast and eat no lunch and sensible dinner. It’s been about a week and a half.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

if you have trouble controlling your impulses and can't manage your weight, consider this:

back in 1960s vietnam, there was a dude called Thích Quảng Đức. he was a buddhist monk and he was so mad about something that he arbitrarily decided to set himself on fire in protest. here's a small description of him doing it: "As he burned he never moved a muscle, never uttered a sound, his outward composure in sharp contrast to the wailing people around him." so essentially he was able to first act against all of his survival instincts by burning himself alive, and then he also managed to not lose his poo poo even though he was in agonizing pain. this might not seem related to the subject at hand, but consider for a moment that this guy was able to do all this poo poo through sheer willpower so i'd argue that it's possible for a human being to not stuff his fat loving face every day even though he's got cravings and so on

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 20, 2018

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I'm doing old fashioned calorie counting. Going to do my first weigh in on Wednesday and see if much has changed

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
You should weigh yourself once at the very beginning of your diet and exercise regime and then very sparingly after that. Daily and weekly weight fluctuates a ton and it can make you feel like you're not making any progress or even undoing your progress despite rigidly and accurately sticking to your goals.

It's better to track your progress by measuring your waist and seeing how much better you look and feel overall.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

roffels posted:

I've got a challenge that I haven't figured out - what to do once you've lost the weight.

So roughly a year ago, I realized I needed to lose weight. It wasn't just carrying the extra pounds, it was the nightly acid reflux, the lethargy, headaches, and prediabetic symptoms. So I gave up soda and sweets, and with that, hamburgers and things like pizza became unappealing. And the weight dropped. With-in about 7 months, I had gone from 215 pounds to 157 pounds. My goal was to hit 170.

I stayed steady around 157-160, but my hunger was persistent. And with that, I picked up a habit of eating a ton of dehydrated fruit, which is pure sugar. So here I am, realizing I let myself get soft - I'm no longer feeling hungry, but I put on a few pounds. Nothing too concerning, and so I'm re-evaluating my diet, and once again at that "I'm always hungry" feeling.

How do you hit that sweet spot where you just maintain your weight? Because even when I was at a consistent weight, I always felt hungry. Just deal with it?

It might help if you start doing tons more physical training. Then you can more comfortably eat a lot more while maintaining your weight. Instead of doing jogging, start doing HIIT instead, and do more lifting and so on.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

roffels posted:

I've got a challenge that I haven't figured out - what to do once you've lost the weight.

So roughly a year ago, I realized I needed to lose weight. It wasn't just carrying the extra pounds, it was the nightly acid reflux, the lethargy, headaches, and prediabetic symptoms. So I gave up soda and sweets, and with that, hamburgers and things like pizza became unappealing. And the weight dropped. With-in about 7 months, I had gone from 215 pounds to 157 pounds. My goal was to hit 170.

I stayed steady around 157-160, but my hunger was persistent. And with that, I picked up a habit of eating a ton of dehydrated fruit, which is pure sugar. So here I am, realizing I let myself get soft - I'm no longer feeling hungry, but I put on a few pounds. Nothing too concerning, and so I'm re-evaluating my diet, and once again at that "I'm always hungry" feeling.

How do you hit that sweet spot where you just maintain your weight? Because even when I was at a consistent weight, I always felt hungry. Just deal with it?

(running, distances in miles, averages out to 30-40 a week across 6-7 days, higher end or more if I'm in a training cycle, lower end without a big event coming up where I'm just in maintenance mode, less if I'm on holiday or sick or w/e)

I eat more than I ever did when fat (almost the exact same start and end weight as you over a similar time frame too), because I am massively more active. I am not noticeably more hungry. I still track and count calories and have the occasional splurge/cheat, and have maintained my weight to within a few lbs.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 20, 2018

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

uhg i need to drink less

but beer is tasty and it makes me feel cool and good

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I stopped drinking and started eating 1500 calories a day and I've lost 4 pounds so far in a week. Most of it is probably water weight that's come off after stopping the beer, but it's surprising how even a small amount of weightloss like that makes clothes fit better and my face looks much less puffy.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bardeh posted:

I stopped drinking and started eating 1500 calories a day and I've lost 4 pounds so far in a week. Most of it is probably water weight that's come off after stopping the beer, but it's surprising how even a small amount of weightloss like that makes clothes fit better and my face looks much less puffy.

Yeah, I lost 5 lbs the first week. I’m down to 2 beers a week now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tumble posted:

You should weigh yourself once at the very beginning of your diet and exercise regime and then very sparingly after that. Daily and weekly weight fluctuates a ton and it can make you feel like you're not making any progress or even undoing your progress despite rigidly and accurately sticking to your goals.

It's better to track your progress by measuring your waist and seeing how much better you look and feel overall.

Alternatively, there's an app called Libra that gives you a smooth trendline of your weight, so you can keep the big picture in mind while weighing yourself daily.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Tumble posted:

What a coincidence. My wife this morning told me it’s not good to weigh myself every day. She says once a week.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Weighing everyday will UTTERLY loving DESTROY YOUR EVERLOVING MORTAL SOUL. I'm not being overdramatic.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i just switched my scale to kg so the number is lower :downs:

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 20, 2018

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I like stones for measurement just cause if you go up or down a whole number you know some serious poo poo happened.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Blaise330 posted:

Weighing everyday will UTTERLY loving DESTROY YOUR EVERLOVING MORTAL SOUL. I'm not being overdramatic.

I think weighing myself every day is what killed my diet last year. Dropped 30lbs in 2 months, then it took 2 more to drop like 5 so I got frustrated. Then I put on some weight, and that sense of failure coupled with some really bad depression, I managed to put almost all of the weight back on.

So now about a week ago I resolved to start my diet again (and an even more strict version of it). My roommates took the scale with them when they moved out so I won't become a slave to those numbers.

My pants already fit a bit better. I don't have a goal weight, I have a goal look, and a goal feeling.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

My pants already fit a bit better. I don't have a goal weight, I have a goal look, and a goal feeling.

I would highly recommend against this, though. Numbers on a scale don't lie, and if you were plateauing on your weight loss, it just meant that you needed to change the way you eat and your level of activity even more if you wanted to continue to lose weight. "How I feel, how I think I look" is very nebulous and unscientific, and a great way to gain even more weight.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pants are a very treacherous tool. They are tighter after washing, they get generally looser after some wear and sometimes they just mysteriously shrink or grow overnight. Please don't rely on your pants for accurate scientific measurements

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I did get a pleasant surprise with my cheap $6 mechanical scale. The spin dial got stuck on starting at 4lbs instead of 0 so I've been 4 pounds lighter for who knows how long its been broken. It's kinda like the equivalent of when you lose 20 bux then find it months later.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Piggy Smalls posted:

What a coincidence. My wife this morning told me it’s not good to weigh myself every day. She says once a week.

Weighing yourself every day (and tracking it using a weight trend site like mentioned) is great because the more data you have, the better you understand how you're doing in the long term and how your body reacts to various circumstances. Data points are good. Your body weight can and will fluctuate several pounds from one day to the next due to various things (if you eat a particularly salty/carb-heavy meal; if you're female your weight can be all over the place in your cycle, if you ate a bunch of fibre and haven't pooped it out yet, etc). It's easy to get discouraged when you work hard all week but step on the scale to see no difference, or even a gain, and you'd have no idea if that was because you actually ate more than you thought or if it's just one of those fluctuations that happens.

Weighing daily also removes a lot of the fear/stress/shame of the scale. It does just become a number rather than some kind of enemy. It won't go down every single day, but that stops being such an issue when you have a better sense of the long term trend and get to know how much little things can impact the direction one way or the other.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Weighing in daily vs weekly vs rarely is very much a personal thing and different approaches work better for different people, much like how you approach your diet (timing and composition of meals, CICO applies to everyone of course).

Everyone should definitely weigh at least once in a while just to check in on where you're at and make sure you have your diet dialed in correctly, I did weekly and it worked well enough for me. But whatever you do understand that bodies are weird and are mostly water, a gain of weight is not necessarily a gain of FAT, eating a bunch of salty food for example makes you retain water like crazy. Smoothing apps like Libra are super good if you weigh in daily and have trouble accepting upticks as normal

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Pants are a very treacherous tool. They are tighter after washing, they get generally looser after some wear and sometimes they just mysteriously shrink or grow overnight. Please don't rely on your pants for accurate scientific measurements

Pfff... Who washes their jeans? Lol

It's my belt that's doing the measuring for me, I can now use the hole that I was at last time I lost a bunch of weight without it feeling tight. Same with my work pants.

The White Dragon posted:

I would highly recommend against this, though. Numbers on a scale don't lie, and if you were plateauing on your weight loss, it just meant that you needed to change the way you eat and your level of activity even more if you wanted to continue to lose weight. "How I feel, how I think I look" is very nebulous and unscientific, and a great way to gain even more weight.

Numbers on a scale don't lie, that's true. But they don't tell you everything. If you lose 10lbs of fat but gain 8lbs of muscle in a time period, a person might not feel like they've gotten very far on their diet and exercise regimen.

I do plan on using a scale eventually, and do weekly or monthly check-ins. I just think that daily weighing is a great way to ruin a feeling of progress. Maybe it works well for some people, but I thought it was more of a hindrance overall. Im tracking my diet via calorie counting, and staying around 1000-1200 per day. If I go over one day, I try and go under the next.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pfff... Who washes their jeans? Lol

It's my belt that's doing the measuring for me, I can now use the hole that I was at last time I lost a bunch of weight without it feeling tight. Same with my work pants.

Numbers on a scale don't lie, that's true. But they don't tell you everything. If you lose 10lbs of fat but gain 8lbs of muscle in a time period, a person might not feel like they've gotten very far on their diet and exercise regimen.

I do plan on using a scale eventually, and do weekly or monthly check-ins. I just think that daily weighing is a great way to ruin a feeling of progress. Maybe it works well for some people, but I thought it was more of a hindrance overall. Im tracking my diet via calorie counting, and staying around 1000-1200 per day. If I go over one day, I try and go under the next.

Same. Belt notches are an ok gauge if you don't really care that much. If you set your calories low enough it doesn't matter that much to keep track constantly.

I mean this is just a personal opinion, but since the goal is to make lasting changes instead of trying to diet for a little bit, constantly obsessing about the weight fluctuations esp. early on seems like a really good way to get discouraged fast. Getting used to eating less and exercising is much more important. The weight will come off anyway.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 20, 2018

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Yeah do what works for you, but people should consider it as an option given how prevalent the "only weigh once a week" thing is. Knowledge is power and all that, and it's really easy for people to talk themselves into avoiding the scale if they have a bad day or a bad couple of days and it becomes this thing to avoid. The point of weighing daily is that you can stop obsessing over random fluctuations because you learn that they happen all the time, and it's the long term trend that matters. The more data points you have, the more accurately you can judge the long term trend.

I think people tend to underestimate how much work is required to build muscle though. Losing 10lbs of fat while simultaneously gaining 8lbs of muscle would take some hardcore work in terms of diet and exercise. You'll also know if you're gaining a bunch of muscle due to gains in your lifting or improvements in your exercise performance, as well as appearance (8lbs of lean muscle mass is going to take a minimum of a few months).

It's really common in online weight loss communities for someone to be discouraged that they're having trouble losing weight and for people to reply that muscle weighs more than fat so maybe they're building muscle and that's why they aren't losing much :downs: Sure, it's technically possible, and when someone goes from being completely sedentary and overweight to exercising regularly, it will make a difference to their body composition. It takes sustained, purposeful effort over time to gain any significant amount of muscle mass though, especially if eating at a deficit. It doesn't happen by accident when trying to lose weight.

If you're trying to lose weight and the scale isn't budging, it's not because you're packing on pounds of muscle.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Whole lotta goons ITT going for crazy low calories. Slow and steady guys, you gotta learn the skills and build the habits that will keep that weight off for the rest of your lives, crashing down to 1000 calories a day ain't gonna help you maintain the new you for 50 years. Lifestyle change is for, well, life.