Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Hainanese chicken is good but by favourite boiled chicken dish is oyakodon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Stringent posted:

Also difficult to get right. I resorted to fried because I couldn't nail it consistently.

I grill em between foil with salt pepper and paprika. Chicken skin crisps are amazing

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SubG posted:

Hainanese chicken is good but by favourite boiled chicken dish is oyakodon.

This is hosed up.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I love rubbery chicken skin too, it's great. even better is the steamed szechuan or cantonese (I think?) cold duck dish you can find at better chinese places. it's like hacked up steamed salted duck or chicken served cold with gelatinous stock still clinging on, and a little soy/rice wine dipping sauce and rice or something - delicious.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So I made the switch from canned beans to dry, and I'm never looking back.

Sure it takes a lot more foresight and planning and cooking time, but... holy mother of gently caress, is it all worth it in the end.

Tonight was black bean and rice burritos. Very yes.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Agreed! I've also recently stopped buying canned - it did take getting a pressure cooker for me to make the complete switch, though.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've never used dry beans. How are they better? Taste, texture, everything?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Chickpeas aren't ever good out of a can, get them dry so you can use some for falafels as well.
Kidney beans - may as well buy canned as you need to soak, cook and drain anyway.
Black beans and navy beans (E: and pinto beans) - don't soak, cook them in your stock with aromatics so they re-hydrate in that and get flavour instead of plain water.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 15, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

VERTiG0 posted:

Well, they didn't taste like can, so that was a big plus.

They smelled AMAZING while they were cooking, especially when I put the onion in there.

They tasted really good, and they still had some firmness to their texture, a little bite that was just enough to enjoy. Usually canned beans are just soft.

I dunno, they just seemed to have more flavor. The burritos were literally just rice, black beans, cheese and hot sauce so it was definitely the beans bringing most of the flavor. And I don't usually like black beans very much, because I think they taste manky. But these just... didn't. It was an amazing moment for me.

Fo3 posted:

Chickpeas aren't ever good out of a can, get them dry so you can use some for falafels as well.
Kidney beans - may as well buy canned as you need to soak, cook and drain anyway.
Black beans and navy beans (E: and pinto beans) - don't soak, cook them in your stock with aromatics so they re-hydrate in that and get flavour instead of plain water.

Chickpeas are my next try, I used to do dry chickpeas at the restaurant I last worked at and I agree, they're loads better than canned. THEY TASTE LIKE FOOD

That sounds like a really good idea re:black/navy/pinto beans in a yummy stock. Will do that next time.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Add some tea leaves to your cooking liquid for chickpeas. It colors them a bit and adds a tiny bit of flavor, but more importantly the pH causes the beans to cook evenly all the way through. If you don't, you might find that they're mealy on the inside, even when cooked long enough to make most of the bean mushy.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Kidney beans were always my least favorite bean as a kid, so I haven't made them yet. I'm curious though, why do you have to soak them before you cook them? I have read that raw beans can upset your guts pretty badly, is it something to do with that?

VERTiG0 posted:

Another reason for cooking dry beans is it's way cheaper, like 3-4x. It depends on the bean type/brand, but generally I've found that I can get a pound of dried for what a can of cooked costs.

Also, as someone else said, for making falafel. Canned/cooked are too mushy and make the falafel mix dense like mashed potatoes. I usually soak dry beans for a day or more, and then throw them in the food processor raw with the other ingredients. It makes a grainier mixture so the falafel cook up lighter and faster.

I'd say time is the only downside to cooking your own beans, but pressure cooking takes less than an hour, no soaking needed (except kidney beans, maybe?). Falafel is the only bean dish I have to plan days ahead for.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have a question about the seasoning of dried beans when using a pressure cooker. When I cook chickpeas, I salt the water pretty heavily like I would with any legume or pasta or anything. My question is the mechanism by which the beans get the salt in there. It will dissolve in the hot water as it comes up to temp, but under pressure, the water is converted to steam at around ~250 degrees, correct? If so, how does the salt penetrate the beans to season it? Does it remained dissolved in the water droplets that compose the steam that cooks the beans? My beans always come out tasty, so it must work somehow, I'm just curious as to the "why".

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cocoavalley posted:

Kidney beans were always my least favorite bean as a kid, so I haven't made them yet. I'm curious though, why do you have to soak them before you cook them? I have read that raw beans can upset your guts pretty badly, is it something to do with that?

Another reason for cooking dry beans is it's way cheaper, like 3-4x. It depends on the bean type/brand, but generally I've found that I can get a pound of dried for what a can of cooked costs.

Also, as someone else said, for making falafel. Canned/cooked are too mushy and make the falafel mix dense like mashed potatoes. I usually soak dry beans for a day or more, and then throw them in the food processor raw with the other ingredients. It makes a grainier mixture so the falafel cook up lighter and faster.

I'd say time is the only downside to cooking your own beans, but pressure cooking takes less than an hour, no soaking needed (except kidney beans, maybe?). Falafel is the only bean dish I have to plan days ahead for.

Basically, if you are using kidney beans just boil them a bit. For this reason I like to just use the quick-soak method when I make redbeans.

Also, if you haven't made kidneybeans, come check out the cajun thread and make yourself some redbeans and rice sometime. It's good stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_bean#Toxicity

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

The Midniter posted:

I have a question about the seasoning of dried beans when using a pressure cooker. When I cook chickpeas, I salt the water pretty heavily like I would with any legume or pasta or anything. My question is the mechanism by which the beans get the salt in there. It will dissolve in the hot water as it comes up to temp, but under pressure, the water is converted to steam at around ~250 degrees, correct? If so, how does the salt penetrate the beans to season it? Does it remained dissolved in the water droplets that compose the steam that cooks the beans? My beans always come out tasty, so it must work somehow, I'm just curious as to the "why".

Water boils and converts to steam at 212°F, but there's not room for all of the water to turn to steam, thus the pressure and the ability to go to higher temps. So your beans should still be bathing in the salty water.

That Works posted:

Basically, if you are using kidney beans just boil them a bit. For this reason I like to just use the quick-soak method when I make redbeans.

Also, if you haven't made kidneybeans, come check out the cajun thread and make yourself some redbeans and rice sometime. It's good stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_bean#Toxicity

Ah, so pressure cooking kidney beans seems fine as the temps are high enough to take care of the toxin... Will check out the Cajun thread, thanks!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Huh, toxicity didn't even occur to me. I cooked a large batch of kidney and black beans on the weekend for chili. Boiled for 10 mins then put in 250F oven for 2 hours. Chili cooked for 2 hours too. Haven't poo poo my spleen yet.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
does anyone have any tips on making fluffy steamed buns or bao or whatever? like what you'd get as a bbq pork bun at an above-par dim sum place?

I've followed so many recipes and always been super confident that THIS time I'm gonna nail it, and I end up with dense hockey puck type poo poo out my steamer. I can never seem to get the fluffy cloud-like thing going.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mindphlux posted:

does anyone have any tips on making fluffy steamed buns or bao or whatever? like what you'd get as a bbq pork bun at an above-par dim sum place?

I've followed so many recipes and always been super confident that THIS time I'm gonna nail it, and I end up with dense hockey puck type poo poo out my steamer. I can never seem to get the fluffy cloud-like thing going.

Try chef John's recipe. It worked for me. But I finally ended up giving up and buying them from 99 ranch frozen.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Huh. Can't say I've ever had that problem. Are you using enough yeast/proofing long enough?

And yeah, I keep a tray of the frozen taco style bao in the freezer for lazy food cuz they're like 97% as good as fresh.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Even david chang (is he polarizing now??) says to just buy buns. Mindphlux you live in atlanta right? I remember from years ago there were a few asian groceries there, I can't imagine they left. I've tried to make buns a couple times and it turned out so poorly I gave up. Even watched a bunch of videos and poo poo. Now i just go to chinatown buy a bunch of buns and an octopus and call it a day.

edit: i just remembered my fav chinese jerky store closed and im sad

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

mindphlux posted:

I made these, didn't steam them, made them in the oven, and they turned out fluffy and delicious.

Actually getting the right amount of filling in was a huge pain, but they were super good.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

mindphlux posted:

Knead them more, gluten is your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhjlj5MnSxw

I made this recipe using Gold Medal All Trumps and was super duper happy with the results.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm falling more in love with my heat gun more every day. It can aaaalmost match cast iron when post-sous-vide searing, it crisps chicken skin, and just today I toasted a sammich after assembling it without dirtying a pan.

It's not a precise instrument so you need to have a deft hand to hit the sweet spot between too cool and burnt to a crisp, but not as much as a torch.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Paging WroughtIrony....

I eat a lot of lobstah. I like to scuba dive in cold water, and I live near some of the best offshore lobster habitat in the world (Cape Ann). They are tricky to catch by hand; in their own environment that are actually pretty nimble, the tail means they can swim backwards really fast in short bursts, they are super aggressive, and they do not go willingly into your bag. But it's fun.

Anyway, the traditional New England method for cooking them is to boil them in seawater (or heavily salted tap water). Recently though, someone gave me a HUGE steamer pot, so I've been steaming them. In part because I have a high-output burner on my stove, they actually cook about 20% faster in steam pot.

I haven't really noticed much of a difference between steaming and boiling.... anyone?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I am bit late to the bean talk. But, I have an old bag of black turtle beans. l have no idea how old, I have no recollection of buying them. They might have been "dirt" for my kid's toy digger (so, maybe 2-3 years?). How would I go about cooking them? Do I want to?

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...

Squashy Nipples posted:

Paging WroughtIrony....

I eat a lot of lobstah. I like to scuba dive in cold water, and I live near some of the best offshore lobster habitat in the world (Cape Ann). They are tricky to catch by hand; in their own environment that are actually pretty nimble, the tail means they can swim backwards really fast in short bursts, they are super aggressive, and they do not go willingly into your bag. But it's fun.

Anyway, the traditional New England method for cooking them is to boil them in seawater (or heavily salted tap water). Recently though, someone gave me a HUGE steamer pot, so I've been steaming them. In part because I have a high-output burner on my stove, they actually cook about 20% faster in steam pot.

I haven't really noticed much of a difference between steaming and boiling.... anyone?

As a lifelong mainer I'm comfortable saying that there's no real difference between boiled or steamed. Both are easily overcooked. Can poach in butter or other fats if you're looking for a change in flavor.

Caveat: I'm the mainer that thinks crab and other crustaceans are superior to lobster. Take what I say with an appropriate grain of salt.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm interested in getting as many competent cooks to weigh in on this as humanly possible

just watched the dumb 'ugly delicious' about seafood, and david chang being a tool about 'boiling vs steaming' made me roll an eye. I personally think boiling or poaching crustaceans seems correct, in terms of seasoning and juiciness and everything - but chang was advocating hard for steaming. I get the 'purity' argument - but unless I'm doing something really delicate like chawanmushi or something, I don't feel like clean pure seafood flavors really matter that much. throw my corn in with my crawdads and my sausage and a bucket of garlic powder and salt and pepper and cayenne imo ? ? ?

but what made me second guess was chang seemed to be arguing that the boil flavors don't even make it in to the meat. which literally makes no sense to me. if you're arguing for purity via steaming (because you prevent other flavors from reaching the meat) surely you can't also argue that boiling doesn't add flavor to the meat....

dunno, confounded on this one. irl taste tests to follow.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I mean, his whole media persona is throwing out food hot takes. At this point in cooking TV you should know that dchang is gonna dchang and you just ignore most of what he says and watch good food being made and eaten.

Taking pretty much any cook's word to heart is pretty dumb unless it's like Harold McGee.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

https://purcellmountainfarms.com/index.php?cPath=22

Go get a bunch of really good beans and blow your mind. Literally just pick whatever; if you're buying dried beans, I don't see the point in not eating really good beans.

Scarlet Emperors are fantastic big beans for salads and sides; they're nutty and buttery and have a mild marrowy taste that rules, plus they look real nice: https://purcellmountainfarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_24&products_id=621

Black Valentines are the best black bean I've eaten , they're complex and juicy and meaty: https://purcellmountainfarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_24&products_id=551

Zuni Golds are just flat out the best beans for any standard bean dish: https://purcellmountainfarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_24&products_id=643

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I like steaming purely because I hate having an enormous vat of boiling water on my stove if I don’t have to. It gives me flashbacks to that Canadian kitchen safety PSA.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

uh, what are you steaming food with that doesn’t involve boiling water in some stage of the process?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He said enormous vat of boiling water. If you’re steaming, then you just need an inch or so if water.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Whalley posted:

Go get a bunch of really good beans and blow your mind. Literally just pick whatever; if you're buying dried beans, I don't see the point in not eating really good beans.

Scarlet Emperors are fantastic big beans for salads and sides; they're nutty and buttery and have a mild marrowy taste that rules, plus they look real nice: https://purcellmountainfarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_24&products_id=621

Black Valentines are the best black bean I've eaten , they're complex and juicy and meaty: https://purcellmountainfarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_24&products_id=551

Zuni Golds are just flat out the best beans for any standard bean dish: https://purcellmountainfarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_24&products_id=643

I think you’ll enjoy this article.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/23/the-hunt-for-mexicos-heirloom-beans

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

gently caress yeah. Rancho Gordo has some good beans, but I hadn't read the founder's story. This was a good fuckin read

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Hauki posted:

uh, what are you steaming food with that doesn’t involve boiling water in some stage of the process?
Microwave steaming best steaming

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Whalley posted:

Well, you just sold me some black valentines. Those look great.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Whalley posted:

gently caress yeah. Rancho Gordo has some good beans, but I hadn't read the founder's story. This was a good fuckin read

Yeah I found it a really good read too. Glad you liked it!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

BrianBoitano posted:

This week in Crowdfunded Crap with BrianBoitano, a cutting board mise en place station for $300 value $150 retail $120 IndieGoGo special $100 Super Earlybird special!!

<snip>

I'm pretty sure the cutting boards are surplus airline tray tables :ssh:

Also, it's only for right handed people.

Also, in the before picture. Why did she peel only HALF the cucumber? Why are there tomatoes and asparagus on the cutting board? Who the gently caress cooks like that? Also, who is cooking in that much of a loving mess? I have SO MANY QUESTIONS.

And, in the after picture? What is that protrusion in the cutting board that's nearest the cook? That's gonna get annoying but /quick/.

I'm gonna need you all to put this poo poo on BLAST and /quick/ because we all have those relatives who are all "Oh, _____ likes to cook let's get him something he'll /use/." And then you end up with a slap chop, a nutri bullet, and one of those press n chop thingies. And they're all garbage, and you end up throwing them into the landfills. :|

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Whalley posted:

Thanks a lot rear end in a top hat

Now I just bought 105 bucks worth of beans.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Thanks a lot rear end in a top hat

Now I just bought 105 bucks worth of beans.

But think of the money you'll save on laxatives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mr. Wiggles posted:

But think of the money you'll save on laxatives!

True!