Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Liverpool is doing work this transfer cycle GOT drat

And will still fall well short of reaching City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liverpool is doing work this transfer cycle GOT drat

Must be their year op lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
have spurs signed anyone yet and is levy aware the transfer window doesn't shut august 31st

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Scousers are booming or something

I dunno

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

oliwan posted:

Must be their year op lmao

Could be but for me it’s because of having VVD and Dejan bringing up Trent Alexander Arnold and Andrew Robertson to professional levels. With a world class keeper behind them they should give up less goals than last year and won’t need to have as much offensive generation and pressure to score. It’s going to probably be a tighter top 3 this year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jose posted:

have spurs signed anyone yet and is levy aware the transfer window doesn't shut august 31st

Spurs are supposedly interested in Grealish, the Spursiest player

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Could be but for me it’s because of having VVD and Dejan bringing up Trent Alexander Arnold and Andrew Robertson to professional levels. With a world class keeper behind them they should give up less goals than last year and won’t need to have as much offensive generation and pressure to score. It’s going to probably be a tighter top 3 this year.

Ah yes the coveted top 3 trophy, much better than top 4.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

T Bowl posted:

Ah yes the coveted top 3 trophy, much better than top 4.

Manchester City and United are very good. I’m not sure in this day in age you can say for sure you will win the league which is good for us viewers. Winning the league is great but it’s also good to be solidly in the Champions League if nothing else.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Manchester City and United are very good. I’m not sure in this day in age you can say for sure you will win the league which is good for us viewers. Winning the league is great but it’s also good to be solidly in the Champions League if nothing else.

This plus having a more solid defense should help us go deeper in cup competitions.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jose posted:

They have signed players (and a manager) to new contracts.

No actual new players though.

I fully expect everything to happen on August 9th or whenever it is the window ends, despite Poch telling Levy multiple times to get business done early because he needs the pre-season with the players.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Liverpool spending a lot of money to traditionally not win the league.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I have a feeling United are going to be poo poo this year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The DPRK posted:

I have a feeling United are going to be poo poo this year.

inshallah

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jose posted:

I have a feeling they're going to ride this squad with as few changes as possible and gun for that CL berth, since they need as much money as they can get right now with that stadium coming online.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Liverpool need a keeper and Allison was the best fit in terms of profile, any keeper of the same or higher profile was going to be a world record, I am looking forward to the tears when he gets clowned on by some carthorse striker though.

Gazidis to Milan would be a bit weird when he has spent the last few years waiting for Wenger to go so it was his time to shine.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

*spends half over what Buffon cost for a keeper that won't ever be half as good*

No but you see, anyone else would've been a world record

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Healbot posted:

*spends half over what Buffon cost for a keeper that won't ever be half as good*

No but you see, anyone else would've been a world record

1.5 times a record that was set 17 years ago isn't that much, unless you've been in a coma for the time inbetween.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

What's the scoop on Eriksen this summer, is he staying put at Tottenham?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Villa are extremely hosed and spurs are holding out on signing jack grealish until they're force to sell him at a massively reduced price to pay their taxes lol

i remember at least one villa posting talking about how tony xia owned

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Jose posted:

no see £66m on a striker who will get an extra 5 goals a season is fine and far better value than a keeper who'll save an extra 10

:science: :goonsay: actually if that striker scores five times in games that would've ended 0-0 and the keeper only made those extra saves when the team was already 4-0 up, yeah it is

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

Villa are extremely hosed and spurs are holding out on signing jack grealish until they're force to sell him at a massively reduced price to pay their taxes lol

i remember at least one villa posting talking about how tony xia owned

They gambled on promotion and fell at the last hurdle. With FFP and how parachute payments taper off it's always going to be a rough deal without PL income at the end to make up the losses.

Imagine if Newcastle had hosed it up, Mike Ashley would've had to cut £100m of wages over one summer (and you would have still been paying twice as much as most Championship clubs).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Danny Ward to Leicester. Is Kasper off somewhere?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

They gambled on promotion and fell at the last hurdle. With FFP and how parachute payments taper off it's always going to be a rough deal without PL income at the end to make up the losses.

Imagine if Newcastle had hosed it up, Mike Ashley would've had to cut £100m of wages over one summer (and you would have still been paying twice as much as most Championship clubs).

the wages were the big one since nobody had relegation clauses. Newcastle got enough from selling players to cover new signings more or less

anyway apparently ashley is refusing to sanction any big transfer fees until benitez signs a new contract. benitez has said all along that if he actually gets the money for plays he's been told he can he'll sign a new contract

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

the wages were the big one since nobody had relegation clauses. Newcastle got enough from selling players to cover new signings more or less

You bought twelve new players and increased the wage bill £37.5m. Lack of relegation clauses had little to do with it.

Your Premier League wage bill was pretty modest, like £20m lower than Swansea's when you got relegated lol we're fcked.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol rip

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Apparently Bayern have paid Pavards release clause of €35m.
Also Thiago wants to go back to Barca and Bayern have agreed to let him go if they get an appropriate offer.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

sassassin posted:

Allison's replacement at Roma apparently.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Lol I wonder how much of that West Ham figure is on the 40-odd forwards we've signed and immediately moved on at a loss because they were poo poo

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

HappyCamperGL posted:

Allison's replacement at Roma apparently.

Amazing bit of business for Roma if that's the case.

The poo poo around the Allison transfer is weird. First Liverpool are massive retards for not buying a keeper, then when it turns out they're actually buying the keeper they've been scouting and have been after for a while, they're still massive retards because...he cost a lot of money?

I'll all for trolling scousers but this seems a weird choice of hill. The corpulent remains of Neville Southall would be an upgrade on Karius. Paying the going rate for a young talented international when there's scant top rated keepers available, to a club that had no reason to sell, doesn't seem all that ridiculous.

Seventy million literal English pounds for Van Dijk on the other hand....

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

But Ninpo! Virgil van Dijk single-handedly fixed the Liverpool defense, so he's worth every penny!

until he makes a big mistake, presumably

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

ephex posted:

Also Thiago wants to go back to Barca and Bayern have agreed to let him go if they get an appropriate offer.

I read an article saying that the release clause isn't active until next summer and that Stuttgart want to sell him now to get more money rather than have him go "cheaply" to Bayern next summer.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
£12m for our third choice keeper seems ridiculous. Also who's going to be the backup? I can't see Karius or Migs doing it.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

ephex posted:

I'm doing lols at Barçelona fretting at not being presented a number for Thiago, because they absolutely will lowball several times in a row.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tarbrush posted:

£12m for our third choice keeper seems ridiculous. Also who's going to be the backup? I can't see Karius or Migs doing it.

Insane, Ospina is like a 20m player in this market

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

sassassin posted:

I'm hearing Chelsea for Schmeichel. He won't be a good replacement for Courtois tho imo.

Is Danny Ward any good? Presumably if he can't get in front of Migs or Karius he's trash...

Jakupovic looked good for Hull and hasn't really had a run at the Number 1 shirt yet so this signing surprises me.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Big Nev is still alive and kicking, Ninpo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I can't speak for all Liverpool fans but I'm happy we're addressing our keeper issues. I don't know a ton about Alisson but people who've seen more of him say he's good so that's fine with me. We're spending a lot of money but that's the market these days and there aren't a lot of keepers available. I might have been happier with someone like Schmeichel who's proved he can win the Premier League, but Klopp doesn't like shopping around once he's decided on a specific target so oh well, I think he's earned some trust when it comes to transfers after Salah and Van Dijk were so good last season. Maybe it really is better to overspend on players your manager thinks will significantly improve the team instead of haggling over a few million and ending up signing a bargain backup Wenger-style.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Everyone at the club rates ward, but I don't think think he's the second coming of Oblak or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I’m happy and I honestly don’t give a poo poo how much FSG spend to get better players because they’re super rich people and it’s their money not mine.

• Locked thread