Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

InnercityGriot posted:

I think the game expects you to swap out characters all the time, I see so many people mad about their party being overleveled, but I have been swapping everyone in and out to try and keep their levels balanced and my team is exactly around where the recommended levels are for Chapter 2. Maybe that changes later, but so far it has stayed pretty balanced.

Can’t swap out your main for most of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

InnercityGriot posted:

I think the game expects you to swap out characters all the time, I see so many people mad about their party being overleveled, but I have been swapping everyone in and out to try and keep their levels balanced and my team is exactly around where the recommended levels are for Chapter 2. Maybe that changes later, but so far it has stayed pretty balanced.

If you hit a cait or get a lucky dance, then it's still easy to get overleveled.

Currently, I'm just approaching the 20 hour mark in the game and goddamn have I been taking it slow. This will probably end up being close to 100 hours when I finish it.

After I did the chapter 1 for my party, I went and explored a bit, got all the eight main subclasses, then headed over to Grandport and robbed/scrutinized every single person in town of every item they owned. Now I'm going through the eight starting towns, robbing every single person (within reason), scrutinizing everyone, and accomplishing all the side quests.

My main party is currently 25-28, with my reserve party anywhere from 11-15.

I figure when the time comes, I'll just powerlevel my low level characters by swapping one into my group and taking them to high level zones. Should be easy enough to bring them up to level.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Bongo Bill posted:

If they're standing in front of a house, challenging them and winning lets you go inside. Within the house you might find good loot (it may need to be activated as a hidden item through Inquire/Scrutinize first) or additional sidequest elements.

Yeah, in Sunshade I interrogated some chick and learned she came to town to find her estranged mother. Only it turns out she arrived too late and her mom died already. Her mom was a dancer and the daughter's only memento of her were the dancer clothes she left behind

anyway, I then beat her up, broke into her house and stole them

earlier on I found a fisherman's widow who refused to part with the spear her dearly departed husband had left behind. I stole that too

the main story could be bunk for all I care, I am totally in for every single NPC having actual backstories and interesting links to one another and easter eggs and ahhhh it's so loving good

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ahhhh inferiority complex rising.

Level 50 boss spoilers below
I can not beat the bosses for the extra jobs. The Sorcerer can just take 2 turns in a row and wipe out my whole party with multi-attack multi-element spells and I have no idea how to combat that except for Magic Defense, which doesn't work very well. I thought I had a good strategy for the Warlord, max out defense, Alfric for concoctions/poison, Thief for Shackling, two Clerics/Mages but then she goes Berserk when she's at 1/4th HP takes 9 actions in a row and murders me anyway. This is extremely frustrating. My levels are 47 for my main and the others are hovering around 36-40. is this too low? I've gotten pretty much the best equipment around. The only other thing I can think to do is to get Patience on the whole party.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I beat the Sorcerer boss with characters around level 37-39 today. H'aanit/Thief, Therion/Warrior, Cyrus/Cleric and Primrose/Merchant was my party. At the start of the fight I had to hope he didn't go first, and if I could break him first turn I started setting up magic defense buffs on everyone using Cyrus and a decent amount of BP items and BP donation with Primrose. From there it was just a matter of breaking him often and healing with Cyrus, while keeping the magic defense buffs going. Most of my damage came from Triple Attack monsters with H'aanit and Therion's divine skill. If he goes first it was pretty much a wipe for me since he stops you from buffing turn 1. That's the only one I've fought so far though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Is it just me, or are the danger/level ratings of the zones sometimes broken? I'm level 16/15/15/10 with the current crew, and stumbled over a cave with a suggested rating of 15. Went in there, and faced off against some kind of skeleton which killed each of my crewmembers with exactly one hit.

I also couldn't find any weakness (then again, only had couple of rounds to try it) on it. The cave was close to Tressa's starting area, as I was on my way to get her.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Is it just me, or are the danger/level ratings of the zones sometimes broken? I'm level 16/15/15/10 with the current crew, and stumbled over a cave with a suggested rating of 15. Went in there, and faced off against some kind of skeleton which killed each of my crewmembers with exactly one hit.

I also couldn't find any weakness (then again, only had couple of rounds to try it) on it. The cave was close to Tressa's starting area, as I was on my way to get her.
Yeah this is definitely a thing. I'm almost wondering if the level scaling pits you against an enemy team with an average level the same as you.

I've done all the caves and dungeons I've come across and especially in the level 15-20 ones it's not uncommon to fight an enemy team consisting of 3 low level enemies that basically can't hurt you and one big elemental/skeleton/etc. that can oneshot your guys. It's a bit odd. I think my first party wipe was in one of those caves when I encountered an enemy team with 2 elementals. They both used their 1k+ damage AoE before I could break either of them and, well, :rip:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

tuo posted:

You were probably undergeared.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

You were probably undergeared.

In the 15-25 dungeons you can find enemies that deal ~20 damage per hit as well as enemies that deal ~1200 damage per hit in the same battle :pram:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

ChrisBTY posted:

Ahhhh inferiority complex rising.

Level 50 boss spoilers below
I can not beat the bosses for the extra jobs. The Sorcerer can just take 2 turns in a row and wipe out my whole party with multi-attack multi-element spells and I have no idea how to combat that except for Magic Defense, which doesn't work very well. I thought I had a good strategy for the Warlord, max out defense, Alfric for concoctions/poison, Thief for Shackling, two Clerics/Mages but then she goes Berserk when she's at 1/4th HP takes 9 actions in a row and murders me anyway. This is extremely frustrating. My levels are 47 for my main and the others are hovering around 36-40. is this too low? I've gotten pretty much the best equipment around. The only other thing I can think to do is to get Patience on the whole party.

Saving Grace with a cleric group healing pretty much trivializes the former. I did Runelord first so just sidestep cheesed the latter with Tressa. Starseer I did last and just powered through since I was actually at the right level by that time.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I went to the chapter 2 frostlands area and fought a battle where I got 5 times exp dance off and got like 5 levels for my underlevelled party members. The monsters weren't even close to able to kill the party.

The very next battle was against a single bear who hit the party with a single aoe move and killed them dead.

I hadn't saved. :(

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I've found all the sub job shrines, and am in the process of doing the pre chapter 2 dungeons. One thing I appreciate is that the game encourages you to rotate your party and experiment with sub jobs. I know some people in this thread have had the opposite experience, but, for me, this game has done a good job at quelling whatever anxieties I had about being fixed with my party choice. I pretty much rotate my party members out as they reach arbitrary thresholds. It's great. Love seeing all the different sprite art for the different subclass costumes.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I went to the chapter 2 frostlands area and fought a battle where I got 5 times exp dance off and got like 5 levels for my underlevelled party members. The monsters weren't even close to able to kill the party.

The very next battle was against a single bear who hit the party with a single aoe move and killed them dead.

I hadn't saved. :(

That bear is ridiculously overpowered for the zone it's in. It one-shotted my team every time I was unfortunate enough to run into it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How is the end game for this?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Imo Thief subclass is the best costume for everyone. Although Dancer Ophelia is neat looking and kind of funny when you think about the character. Same as Olberic.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think everyone looks the most adorable as Merchant and Apothecary, which makes sense because Tressa and Alfyn are the goodest

it's a shame though since I'm already using both on my team and having a second merchant or apothecary probably isn't that helpful :(

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think I'm settling with Tress/Primrose/Cyrus/Therion for my first run.

I'm having a little more difficulty thinking about the best way to subclass them.

Primrose Dancer/Scholar feels like a no brainer since I lucked into a dagger that gives her crazy elemental attack. Plus scholar's massive coverage and damage is good to have two versions of.

The rest is a lot more complicated. I feel like I want Cleric somewhere but the rest I've no clue about.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harlock posted:

Imo Thief subclass is the best costume for everyone. Although Dancer Ophelia is neat looking and kind of funny when you think about the character. Same as Olberic.

Hunter Tressa is the best.

I also like scholar Ophelia.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't like Alfyn Merchant because it covers up his awesome hair :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

I don't like Alfyn Merchant because it covers up his awesome hair :(

what this game is really missing is a monk/brawler type job so I can make him Sabin 2

e: to be fair if there was a monk job i'd make everyone in my party that because it's the best job

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
If my main character goes down in battle does my game end or can I revive them?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

If my main character goes down in battle does my game end or can I revive them?

You can revive them. You only lose if everyone goes down

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I have a Lance with an absurd amount of elemental attack and nobody to give it to :negative:

I guess when I use Cyrus again I'll subclass him into something that uses them.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cyrus as subclass Merchant with an elemental attack spear and that magus bow and woo boy he do a lot of magic damage.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harlock posted:

Cyrus as subclass Merchant with an elemental attack spear and that magus bow and woo boy he do a lot of magic damage.

Magic damage doesn't stack, I'd just give him a damage bow.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Harlock posted:

There’s no point in giving a character two magic enhancing weapons. They only get the stats from the one with the higher E. Attack bonus.

Edit:Beaten

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
What's everybody subbing to H'aanit? I see warrior suggested sometimes, but I always just release animals for dps anyway, so I feel like offensive stats doesn't do much for her. So I was thinking of just making her sub a support class instead.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ethiser posted:

There’s no point in giving a character two magic enhancing weapons. They only get the stats from the one with the higher E. Attack bonus.

Edit:Beaten

That's a bummer.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you're just releasing animals with her does it really matter what subclass you're using? make her a thief maybe to donate SP since you're never using it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I think I'm settling with Tress/Primrose/Cyrus/Therion for my first run.

I'm having a little more difficulty thinking about the best way to subclass them.

Primrose Dancer/Scholar feels like a no brainer since I lucked into a dagger that gives her crazy elemental attack. Plus scholar's massive coverage and damage is good to have two versions of.

The rest is a lot more complicated. I feel like I want Cleric somewhere but the rest I've no clue about.

Cyrus would make a very strong Cleric. Healing scales on Elemental Defense and Cyrus has the second-most in the game (after Ophilia). Plus he has high SP, naturally. Tressa would be a good Cleric, too, but then you wouldn't get to sub Hunter or Apothecary on her for a) extremely useful skills that complement her Merchant kit well and b) extremely cute costumes.

Therion should get Hunter or Warrior and become your physical damage powerhouse. He has a ton of potential there and both jobs would help him reach it.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Tressa is too good for this sinful world.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harrow posted:

Cyrus would make a very strong Cleric. Healing scales on Elemental Defense and Cyrus has the second-most in the game (after Ophilia). Plus he has high SP, naturally. Tressa would be a good Cleric, too, but then you wouldn't get to sub Hunter or Apothecary on her for a) extremely useful skills that complement her Merchant kit well and b) extremely cute costumes.

Therion should get Hunter or Warrior and become your physical damage powerhouse. He has a ton of potential there and both jobs would help him reach it.

Can confirm that both warrior and hunter Therion are very good.

My only problem with Therion is that stacking enough speed for his Divine to be useful is probably not worth it, I always feel underwhelmed when I use it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bongo Bill posted:

What chapter is this in? Also, what order is every party scene in? I want to see as many of these as possible and I don't want to have to stumble around finding the right party combinations all the time.

I don't know. I captured it from a video youtube recommended to me because google spies on me.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

IcePhoenix posted:

Magic damage doesn't stack, I'd just give him a damage bow.

Ethiser posted:

Actually, there is a point to having more than one weapon with high elemental attack stat if you're using Runes. Unlike other elemental attacks, Runes use the character's elemental attack stat + the elemental attack stat of the weapon used to make a physical attack rather than taking from the weapon with the highest elemental attack stat across all equipped weapons.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Girltalk and Guytalk are available after you complete their ch 4 stories I believe, and will trigger whenever you have all of them in your party and are in a tavern.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The character interactions with more than 2 people happen when you complete someone's Chapter 4 - from what I heard.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any pro-tips for speed leveling all my weak guys up? Going into the last half of the Chapter 3s I have 3 guys who are really high level and strong, and five that suck.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Look Sharp! posted:

What's everybody subbing to H'aanit? I see warrior suggested sometimes, but I always just release animals for dps anyway, so I feel like offensive stats doesn't do much for her. So I was thinking of just making her sub a support class instead.

Thief was really good for keeping her SP up as well as breaking things. It seems like so many enemies are weak to daggers in this game so the double hit skills are really good. Plus having the debuffs on her lets Therion get a big hit in without having to use the debuff himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fadam posted:

Any pro-tips for speed leveling all my weak guys up? Going into the last half of the Chapter 3s I have 3 guys who are really high level and strong, and five that suck.

Dance!