Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Look Sharp! posted:

What's everybody subbing to H'aanit? I see warrior suggested sometimes, but I always just release animals for dps anyway, so I feel like offensive stats doesn't do much for her. So I was thinking of just making her sub a support class instead.

H'aanit is an extremely strong physical attacker (probably on par with Olberic) so I think you're missing out if you don't use her own attacks, but that said you could throw Dancer or Thief on her. With Dancer she can buff people and with Thief she can debuff enemies and give other characters SP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Harrow posted:

H'aanit is an extremely strong physical attacker (probably on par with Olberic) so I think you're missing out if you don't use her own attacks, but that said you could throw Dancer or Thief on her. With Dancer she can buff people and with Thief she can debuff enemies and give other characters SP.

Thief also gives her good single-target physical attacks that steal HP or SP.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Folt The Bolt posted:

And four weapon types :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Yeah now that I think about it Thief H'aanit would be very strong. I might have to do that myself, actually.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I also like Apoth as sub on her for the aoe axe skill but yeah thief is a real good sub.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

When I want to know how much health an enemy has left (without wasting a turn) I like to check the success chance for robbing an enemy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Any pro-tips for speed leveling all my weak guys up? Going into the last half of the Chapter 3s I have 3 guys who are really high level and strong, and five that suck.

Dancer + Apothecary Merchant (separate characters). Donate BP to dancer, Bewildering Gaze with as much BP as possible every single chance you get, kill stuff.

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 19, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

When I want to know how much health an enemy has left (without wasting a turn) I like to check the success chance for robbing an enemy.

Incidentally I think this is one of the better implementations of in-combat stealing in a JRPG for exactly that reason. You can see the chance of success, it goes up as the enemy weakens, and it goes up even more if you boost. That's so, so much better than the "just spam and hope, and sometimes you can use an accessory to boost your chances from 'real bad' to just 'bad.'"

Then again I don't know if enemies in this have that old JRPG common steal/rare steal thing.

Kashuno posted:

Dancer + Apothecary (separate characters). Donate BP to dancer, Bewildering Gaze with as much BP as possible every single chance you get, kill stuff.

I think you mean Merchant instead of Apothecary, that's the job with Donate BP.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Why can't Tressa use Collect on Omar. If she can rob a giant snake she should be able to rob a highly paid mercenary.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I've done a couple of the Chapter 2 bosses and they were marked as unable to steal/collect, any idea what's up with that?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Incidentally I think this is one of the better implementations of in-combat stealing in a JRPG for exactly that reason. You can see the chance of success, it goes up as the enemy weakens, and it goes up even more if you boost. That's so, so much better than the "just spam and hope, and sometimes you can use an accessory to boost your chances from 'real bad' to just 'bad.'"

Then again I don't know if enemies in this have that old JRPG common steal/rare steal thing.

I think you mean Merchant instead of Apothecary, that's the job with Donate BP.

yep sure did :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I agree that it's nice to not have straight RNG but I wish the rates were a bit higher. Even against weak trash enemies you need to spend several turns just to steal collect a bit of money since even with boosting it starts out as something terrible like 1-3%. Same goes for stealing, catching Pokémon, etc.

Caros
May 14, 2008

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

You could also just look at the color of their name.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Gosh the party interactions in this game can be adorable :kimchi: If there's a sequel I hope they make them much more frequent and less finicky.

I'm doing Ophilia's chapter 2 now.
She and Alfyn are very cute. And they're both good with kids :3: I'm not disappointed in the Ophilia/Primrose banter either.

This is a very cozy game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

If there's a sequel

There better be

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'd be really happy to see Octopath become a series.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Nonapath Traveler :thunk:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Decasextuplepath traveler. It even has sixteen characters

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
12 path prequel seems plausible?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I'd be really happy to see Octopath become a series.

:same:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's always Octopath with increasingly weird names to keep up the naming convention

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Licarn posted:

Nonapath Traveler :thunk:

Octopus Traveler.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They managed to make a cool & good sequel to Bravely, they can do it for Octopath :colbert:

Also they should make Bravely Third and release the Bravely Trilogy Collection for the Nintendo Switch

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

They managed to make a cool & good sequel to Bravely, they can do it for Octopath :colbert:

Also they should make Bravely Third and release the Bravely Trilogy Collection for the Nintendo Switch

:yeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Things that would own in a sequel:

- Even more secondary jobs. Octopath has plenty to make interesting character builds, but more variety could be really fun. (I actually don't think I want a full job system, though--I like that each character has a set base job.)
- Let me switch out my main character as soon as I have more than four party members, or at least do something so that the experience curve is steeper and the main character doesn't become super overleveled if you do all of the stories chapter-by-chapter.
- Better yet, take cues from Chrono Cross's leveling system. In that game, you gain "stars" as you make story progress and complete significant side quests, and your stars raise your stat caps (and you gain stats sort of piecemeal from battles, a little bit like SaGa games but not quite as random-feeling). The game doesn't need to go that far, but something where your max level is sort of gated by story progress, and maybe lower-level characters get an EXP bonus as that cap increases, would work pretty well I think.
- Add incidental dialog during each character's story. I don't need characters to participate in each others' stories, but just little quips or incidental lines here and there would go a long way to making the group feel more like, well, a group.

Your Computer posted:

:yeah: and also :yeah:

That said I hope they can balance a hypothetical Octopath sequel better than Bravely Second :v: Going through Bravely Default, I felt like Hard mode was a good balance from start to finish, and I never felt like I had to turn off random encounters just to enjoy the game until all the dungeon revisits started (which, to be fair, are a problem in their own right). In Bravely Second, random battles on Hard mode are extremely tedious, but bosses on Normal mode are button-mash easy, and the jobs that break the game in half are available a whole lot earlier than in Default, too.

It's manageable by just playing on Easy/Normal (or turning off random encounters entirely) then switching back up to Hard when you can tell there's a boss fight coming, but I dunno, I would've preferred not to have to ride the difficulty slider to make sure I had a fun experience the whole time.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 19, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Jobs that definitely need to be in the sequel:
- Monk
- Time mage
- Nekomancer

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Time Mage turns savescumming into a Path action

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Licarn posted:

I did like the Bravely Default time mage passive where if your party dies you'll restart at the beginning of the fight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can someone point me in the direction of the hidden jobs? I know I'm definitely underleveled but I want to get them asap because they sound incredibly fun.

Licarn posted:

:hai:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Computer posted:

Jobs that definitely need to be in the sequel:
- Nekomancer

That's already in the game

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It seems that Therion's SP steal attack does not factor in over damage to enemies in the amount of SP returned to Therion.

By this I mean I attacked an enemy knowing it was very nearly dead and I only got 4 SP. The next battle against the same enemy I used the SP steal attack, saw very similar damage numbers, and got 14 SP. So if an enemy has 100 HP and your SP steal attack deals 500 DMG you will only get 5 SP. If the same enemy has 1000 HP and you deal 500 DMG with SP steal you will get 25 SP.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Nekomancer needs to be in every game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

That's already in the game

lol wow whose Hunter costume is that?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

lol wow whose Hunter costume is that?

Tressa

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm like way behind everyone else but I just got my 4th character last night (party is Tressa, Olberic, Primrose and Alfyn). Bravely Default was my first experience with a mix class in an RPG so I was pretty happy to get Alfyn, particularly since the boss of his Ch. 1 poisons you constantly. :argh:

I'm really loving the game so far, particularly now that I've started unlocking more skills and passives. I got Alfyn's one which regens SP, and Tressa's ability to gift BP. I remember how great BP batteries were in Bravely Default, so I'm looking forward to setting that up in Octopath. :getin:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Octopath Graveler. A Geodude who evolved with eight arms

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just want to make sure I understand how Ele Atk works. If I've multi-classed Cyrus to Scholar / Merchant and the Ele Atk on his spear is greater than his cane, the game is calculating his power with the spear regardless? Or do I need to be switching to it being the weapon he has visible on the screen?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

^burtle posted:

Just want to make sure I understand how Ele Atk works. If I've multi-classed Cyrus to Scholar / Merchant and the Ele Atk on his spear is greater than his cane, the game is calculating his power with the spear regardless? Or do I need to be switching to it being the weapon he has visible on the screen?

The former.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Natural 20 posted:

Octopus Traveler.

It's about time Ultros got his own spinoff game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Does physical damage work the same as elemental? Because I could swear Opehlia hits for garbage with her staff, but does something approaching respectable damage with her knife.