Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1019595127814172673

Anyone happen to check this out today? I wouldn't have otherwise been interested in it but I don't often see Willow promote books like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

What If the MU lost Atlantis Attacks: You might remember Atlantis Attacks as about Atlanteans summoning Set the primordial snake god. When you actually summon said primordial snake god, things go south very quickly. TPK. Also Set's brood escape into the multiverse but I don't think anything came of it.

I love this stupid issue because of how blatant it "cheats." Instead of changing one moment it decides to make sure the heroes lost on every front.

"Namor failed, Thor failed and Punisher failed. Awesome. Now let's see 40 pages of every hero dying horribly!"

And since it's on topic now, here's a massive article I did recently on the 100 best What If moments.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dunbar posted:

Anyone happen to check this out today? I wouldn't have otherwise been interested in it but I don't often see Willow promote books like that.

I might give it a go when I get home today.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Im gonna give it a shot, but im gonna set the bar juuuust above floor level

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Dunbar posted:

I read it this morning, it's fine, mostly set up for the rest of the series. My guess based on the end of the issue is that the series is going to reveal that Carol's always been half-Kree, and that's why she got her powers when the Psyche-Magnatron exploded, or not but something like that seems likely.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Im gonna give it a shot, but im gonna set the bar juuuust above floor level

Why so?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Carol books are always hyped but aren't actually that great

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Carol books are always hyped but aren't actually that great

Oh, no, that's the truth. I thought you referred to the creative team.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, no, that's the truth. I thought you referred to the creative team.

Nah Wilson is good. Carol is not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

The followup on how jj is gonna work is kinda interesting

https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1019590740416950272?s=19

This right here. This is my dream for the future of the medium. Bigger digital chunks then a trade.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Love love loved Immortal Hulk #3 with all the different viewpoints, particularly the lovestruck old dear’s take on it. Digging the groove the series has found of creepy horror tales welded to the 70s Hulk show format. Of course if it stays true to it, poor Ms McGee ain’t ever getting an interview.

New Thor was good too, can’t beat a good ol Asgardian screwball farce, and all the explicit mentions of the convoluted family ties was fun to see.

Not even read all of this week’s haul yet but it feels like the best week in ages aready.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

site posted:

The followup on how jj is gonna work is kinda interesting

https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1019590740416950272?s=19

I..kind of love this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Kelly Thompson might be one of the only writers who can make "the boss of space" look cool, so I'm excited to see her in that JJ book.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Not even read all of this week’s haul yet but it feels like the best week in ages aready.

There was a lot of really good stuff today: Avengers, Runaways, X-Men Red, Jessica Jones, the preview for the new West Coast Avengers...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What wheres the wca preview at

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/18/lettered-previews-extermination-1-asgardians/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 19, 2018

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wait.................. When did Storm get younger and turn back into a vampire?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jiro posted:

Wait.................. When did Storm get younger and turn back into a vampire?

That's Bloodstorm from another universe. She joined X-Men: Blue pretty early on in its run.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

site posted:

That and a few others are here.
https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Spotlight-July-2018/digital-comic/695440?ref=bGlzdC92aWV3L3RhYmxldC9ncmlkTGlzdC9saXN0MjUyOTA

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

cant cook creole bream posted:

Kelly Thompson might be one of the only writers who can make "the boss of space" look cool, so I'm excited to see her in that JJ book.

I thought it was a good first issue. I like how she's gotten Jessica's tone down and it's an interesting start to the mystery

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've had it up to here with clones and alternate universe selves!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP all those 90s hulk characters

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i kinda love that the celestials in avengers are just casually a gay couple and howard stark is in hell

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dawgstar posted:

What If the MU lost Atlantis Attacks: You might remember Atlantis Attacks as about Atlanteans summoning Set the primordial snake god. When you actually summon said primordial snake god, things go south very quickly. TPK. Also Set's brood escape into the multiverse but I don't think anything came of it.

Gavok posted:

I love this stupid issue because of how blatant it "cheats." Instead of changing one moment it decides to make sure the heroes lost on every front.

"Namor failed, Thor failed and Punisher failed. Awesome. Now let's see 40 pages of every hero dying horribly!"

And since it's on topic now, here's a massive article I did recently on the 100 best What If moments.

This comic was the moment I had similar to what X-O described. It's funny but nothing characters like The Aquarian will always be sort of important to me because of this issue.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rick posted:

This comic was the moment I had similar to what X-O described. It's funny but nothing characters like The Aquarian will always be sort of important to me because of this issue.

That might have been the most recent time he'd been mentioned in ages, too. Also it left a young Dawgstar wondering if the Scarlet Witch could do stuff like 'turn Wolverine's bones to anti-matter' then why didn't she do it more? Then M-Day came and I never wished for anything else ever again.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

That might have been the most recent time he'd been mentioned in ages, too.

I think he showed up in one of the Marvel Zombies stories.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gavok posted:

I think he showed up in one of the Marvel Zombies stories.

Yeah he got bitten, but didn't turn after entering a healing stasis.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I kinda stand corrected. While the JJ book is cool, the new Captain Marvel book is really incredibly good.
I guess that happens if you actually give her complex emotional flaws, wh8ch still seem really relateable.

I don't really know much about her backstory. Was her inconvenient childhood explored before?
It puts a lot of her characteristics in context. I guess you do often end up like your parents.

If this quality keeps up I'll end up liking her again. A-force and ultimates was cool, before everything collapsed.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 19, 2018

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I don't really know much about her backstory. Was her inconvenient childhood explored before?

I'm almost positive that this version of Carol's family is a full-blown retcon. I want to say her dad was alive when she was an Avenger in the '90s grappling with alcoholism, and there's an issue of Claremont's Uncanny X-Men that establishes that Carol's brother Steve died in the Vietnam War.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Wanderer posted:

and there's an issue of Claremont's Uncanny X-Men that establishes that Carol's brother Steve died in the Vietnam War.

I guess that explains why he's not around.

He died in a war which ended a few decades ago.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 19, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wow I just got done with Jessica Jones and I really enjoyed that. Kelly had a great handle on the characters, the art fit, 40 pages, the surprise drop, just all of it

E: rip spider-gwen

I enjoyed all the different art styles immortal hulk had for the different versions of the story

Del Mundo art was made for Thor, just so good

Life of captain marvel was okay I guess

E2: i just love the way this looks

site fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 19, 2018

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

site posted:

Del Mundo art was made for Thor, just so good

It's beautiful for sure. Aaron is also definitely writing to del Mundo's strengths. Major Weirdworld vibes all around.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

site posted:

Wow I just got done with Jessica Jones and I really enjoyed that. Kelly had a great handle on the characters, the art fit, 40 pages, the surprise drop, just all of it

I kind of love that Bendis hand picked her as his successor writing Jessica even before he knew he was leaving Marvel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i have to give him credit that was pretty cool, im glad he recognized her talent

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

As per Chip Zdarsky, Spider-Man is now canonically a Brooklyn 99 fan.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I got the lettered art for my Edge of Spider-Verse #1 book and it looks v. good, and I remembered that it has the best joke I have ever written in it (a personal opinion that does not reflect the views of Marvel or the general comic-buying public).

What I am saying is please buy my book when it comes out next month.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Nine-nine![/Terry]

It's a pretty easy choice, really. B99 is about people who use great power with great responsibility to help others when in uniform, but are massive fuckups in their private lives.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Nine-nine![/Terry]

It's a pretty easy choice, really. B99 is about people who use great power with great responsibility to help others when in uniform, but are massive fuckups in their private lives.

I figured it might hit too close to home. Funny how, given the number of times cops have shot at him two of his favorite shows are about cops. (Dog Cops is his other one)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Waffleman_ posted:

Everyone should canonically be a 99 fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brooklyn Nine-Nine must be a nice, quaint show for them set in a universe where nothing weird or wild happens.