Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

MrBling posted:

I read an article saying that the release clause isn't active until next summer and that Stuttgart want to sell him now to get more money rather than have him go "cheaply" to Bayern next summer.

seems to be a release clause payment plus instant loan for sum x

Healbot posted:

I'm doing lols at Barçelona fretting at not being presented a number for Thiago, because they absolutely will lowball several times in a row.

i hope thiago pulls a cunthino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

The DPRK posted:

Is Danny Ward any good? Presumably if he can't get in front of Migs or Karius he's trash...

He never got a run of matches in the league and Liverpool bounced out of the cup competitions he would otherwise have been in, so it's hard to tell. He was good for Huddersfield during their promotion campaign.

He's very unlucky. Liverpool definitely needed a third choice keeper and Ward had shown enough to merit keeping around, but not necessarily enough to say he was definitely the obvious first choice. Also, Liverpool had also spent good money on getting Karius from Mainz and Karius himself was improving until the CL Final.

ephex posted:

i hope thiago pulls a cunthino

Aren't you a Bayern fan? Why would you want Thiago to go on strike and then plead with the other players in the locker room about how you need to leave?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

A 4th keeper signing is surprising, but I don’t think Puel has ever rated jakupovic (at least he was cheap) and I don’t see Hamer starting if we can help it so I’ll keep telling myself that maybe this is just insurance for a last minute 40m offer we can’t refuse or something. Kinda expected it to be a Manchester club who’d snipe Kasper though.

E: didn’t realise Hamer had gone to Huddersfield, slightly less worried about a sale now.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 19, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ward is good and should probably be Wales number one.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
alisson is fine and a good probably but I think but I still think it is silly to spend that much money on a keeper, period, especially when you're not super deep at more important positions

this has been your liverpool boom bust take on the alisson signing

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

what positions do liverpool have less depth at, that are more important than goalkeeper

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bogan Krkic posted:

what positions do liverpool have less depth at, that are more important than goalkeeper

no center forward behind firmino. center backs after VVD are ...inconsistent. little shaq is the only competent depth at wing and TRP seems to really hate him for some reason so that might not even count.

center forward is the biggest hole, if firmino were to go down or be bad klopp's system wouldn't work very well at all, and the depth behind him is absolute poo poo. i'd much rather them have spent that money on a good young backup center forward and a less expensive keeper than alisson.

this has been another fake scouser take on the liverpool transfer situation

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its not your money being spent. no 66m striker is going to want to sign for liverpool to be backup to firmino

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
quite right, which is why i did not suggest they try and spend 66m on a backup center forward

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
LIVERPOOL
LIVERPOOL
LIVERPOOL
LIVERPOOL

A quality keeper is definitely the biggest issue (and Alisson may or may not solve that). However, in terms of depth and quality...

Right back is still touch and go. Right now it's between Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez and both of them are very young and still raw. Left back is between Moreno, a player who is not highly rated by this forum, and Clyne, who may or may not have recovered from the injury that kept him out for much of last season.

Now that Oxlade-Chamberlain is certain to be out for the majority of the upcoming season, the attacking midfielders is also kind of shallow and low on obvious trophy-winning quality. There's Lallana, but the rest of the midfielders are more box-to-box or defensive. Lallana has his own injury issues too. Maybe it's time for Liverpool to give Woodburn real playing time, but I don't know if the club should just chuck that kid into the fire.

The strikers are kind of a weird situation too, as others have already posted. I don't know if Sturridge is going anywhere and I don't see a whole ton of offers coming in for Origi after he stunk up the Bundesliga at Wolfsburg. Ings is probably getting sold and Solanke will never score. I don't see that being a super high priority before sorting out the rest of the squad, though.

The CB's are okay. They need real midfield protection and they might finally be getting it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That's a weird post because you forgot about the existence of Robertson who was a revelation last season at left back, and also our new midfield signings Keita and Fabinho, neither of whom are really attacking midfielders but we didn't really play with an attacking midfielder very often last season, I think Klopp prefers a proper 4-3-3 with three central or box-to-box midfielders and three out-and-out attackers.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

vyelkin posted:

That's a weird post because you forgot about the existence of Robertson who was a revelation last season at left back, and also our new midfield signings Keita and Fabinho, neither of whom are really attacking midfielders but we didn't really play with an attacking midfielder very often last season, I think Klopp prefers a proper 4-3-3 with three central or box-to-box midfielders and three out-and-out attackers.

I think he's talking specifically about people who won't be in the starting 11, and will be used as rotation/backup.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Still B.A.E posted:

I think he's talking specifically about people who won't be in the starting 11, and will be used as rotation/backup.

Fair enough, though the mention of Alexander-Arnold is a strange one then because he was basically our first-choice right back last season.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Zola to Chelsea as Sarri's assistant manager is a DONE DEAL

And Rugani is apparently close to joining, which likely means 2 of Zouma, Luiz and Cahill will be leaving.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
If Rugani goes, who are Juve's two CB's, Chiellini and Benatia? Chiellini's like 100000 years old and having just Caldara as back up seems risky.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

If Rugani goes, who are Juve's two CB's, Chiellini and Benatia? Chiellini's like 100000 years old and having just Caldara as back up seems risky.

They're trying to buy Godin, but that doesn't seem likely based on the latest rumors. My guess is they'll buy some competent Serie A cb for depth, or maybe a loan. Barzagli is still around for one more year as well.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

This is absolutely hearsay and therefore likely bollocks, but apparently it was Ward who was leaking team sheets before games. Apparently he was telling his driver (Ward either doesn't or can't drive) who was playing, then his driver was the one who was putting it on Twitter. That kinda ties up with what was reported last week about how Ward had some sort of attitude/behaviour problem last season which is why he never got a look in.

As a keeper I saw some of him at Huddersfield and less at Aberdeen and he's fine, nothing particularly spectacular but he certainly would be okay at a mid to lower table club. I'm not sure if he could replace Schmeichel but probably worth a punt for relative pocket change.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

cool newcastle are trying to get some 20 year old attacking midfielder from everton on loan now

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Lazar Markovic is still on the books at Liverpool so all our depth problems are solved

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he'll probably be who newcastle try and loan next to avoid spending any money at all

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Better get on that quick, it took him six weeks just to get match fit when he went on loan to Anderlecht last season

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Pjanic refused to answer questions last night about whether he's excited to play alongside Ronaldo, and he has refused to sign the contract extension Juve offered him, so there's a lot of speculation now he's about to go to Barcelona.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Better get on that quick, it took him six weeks just to get match fit when he went on loan to Anderlecht last season

no doubt we'll offer 500k under the loan fee and miss out. ashley refusing to let benitez spend any money because he's in the last year of his contract and hasn't signed the 5 year offer he's got. Benitez not signing until ashley lets him actually spend money on players he wants. refused to let the club spend the £16m to pay for rondon's release clause and instead tried to loan him

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

tbh I'm with Rafa on this

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

NTRabbit posted:

tbh I'm with Rafa on this

If I'm Rafa I'm not putting my name on anything until the money's actually gotten spent, you just know Ashley's gonna stab him in the back.

If Ashley won't pony up, look for a job elsewhere.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

We'll they're recouping some of that I suppose.
https://twitter.com/neiljonesgoal/status/1019903865901240322

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sulphagnist posted:

If I'm Rafa I'm not putting my name on anything until the money's actually gotten spent, you just know Ashley's gonna stab him in the back.

If Ashley won't pony up, look for a job elsewhere.

If Rafa signs the contract before the money is spent, he's gonna arrive at the training ground the next morning to discover that his office furniture has been hauled away, the space sub let to an estate agent, and he and all his assistants and other coaches are now hot desking on a single laptop from a corner of the gym.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Fiorentina have signed Christian Nørgaard from Brøndby. That came out of nowhere.

http://it.violachannel.tv/vc13-dettaglio-breaking/items/id-19-07-2018_19-27-34_norgaard-e-un-calciatore-della-fiorentina.html

edit: Price is ~€3.5m with some additional clauses and stuff.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

NTRabbit posted:

If Rafa signs the contract before the money is spent, he's gonna arrive at the training ground the next morning to discover that his office furniture has been hauled away, the space sub let to an estate agent, and he and all his assistants and other coaches are now hot desking on a single laptop from a corner of the gym.

It's not like the guy deserves it, but if Rafa Benitez is your club's manager, your club's owners are probably terrible. He's drawn to horrible owners like some kind of cuddly, bearded magnet.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
rafa must ramble

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he also wants money spent to improve the training ground and academy as part of the assurances to sign the contract that he's not being given

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

kcer posted:

rafa must ramble

Rafa must roll.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Brony Car posted:

Right back is still touch and go. Right now it's between Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez and both of them are very young and still raw. Left back is between Moreno, a player who is not highly rated by this forum, and Clyne, who may or may not have recovered from the injury that kept him out for much of last season.

Clyne is a right back and TAA is really good.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

https://twitter.com/ASRomaEN/status/1020043280849960962

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

funkybottoms posted:

Clyne is a right back and TAA is really good.

I went back over that post and everything was wrong. I think Clyne has been out for so long that I've forgotten where he plays now. No real excuse except being a posting spaz.

That being said, I think TAA still needs to improve. Both he and Gomez both committed rookie errors last season and peak Clyne was better than either of them from a defensive standpoint. Plus, doesn't TAA ultimately want to become a midfielder?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1020050514795524098

Alisson to Liverpool is a DONE DEAL

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Please don't be poo poo please don't be poo poo please don't be poo poo

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hes not as handsome as Karius. I've gone off him already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Alisson is a girls name

• Locked thread