Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

precision posted:

I did not know this, and now I'm confused.

Why aren't they starting on the next game instead?

Do you think they kept the entire staff just for dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sunning posted:

FF16 is likely in production already from the FF14 team.

What? Why wouldn't the FF14 team still be working on FF14?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I can't even loving imagine what FF16 is going to look like. Hopefully civilization lasts long enough to find out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sunning posted:

It also keeps the team from being press-ganged by other divisions into working on their development hell vortexes projects.

i wonder if any of SE's rank-and-file ever have nightmares about being assigned to a Nomura project

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Frankly I think it would rule to be stuck on a project where you're employed for a decade or more and barely do anything.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I can't even loving imagine what FF16 is going to look like. Hopefully civilization lasts long enough to find out.

Heck, you never know. Playing RE7 recently made me appreciate how some Japanese devs can really get their poo poo together after hitting rock bottom.

It would be pretty exciting if FFXVI did something completely new while still feeling very familiar. Like the story could be much smaller in scope but focusing on couple key themes.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Frankly I think it would rule to be stuck on a project where you're employed for a decade or more and barely do anything.

I mean there's probably someone that's been working on FFXI for like 20 years

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WaltherFeng posted:

It would be pretty exciting if FFXVI did something completely new while still feeling very familiar. Like the story could be much smaller in scope but focusing on couple key themes.

FF15 already shook the formula up a whole lot

FF16 should just be exactly like 15 except you play as a party of four women

Episode Gladio is kinda boring but his fighting style is cool. Are the other two episodes... better?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Episode Prompto is kinda bad unless you're really desperate for the guy's backstory or more Arenea.

Episode Ignis has some cute gameplay elements and an *~alternate ending~* to the main game, and is probably the best of the three.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

precision posted:

FF16 should just be exactly like 15 except you play as a party of four women

Someone doesn't have the pc version of ff15

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Heck, you never know. Playing RE7 recently made me appreciate how some Japanese devs can really get their poo poo together after hitting rock bottom.

Re7 worked as a return to their survival horror roots, tbqh I don't want ff16 to just be some devs dnd campaign

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FF16 should just be the sequel to Octopath Traveler imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

FF16 should just be the sequel to Octopath Traveler imo

Yeah, they could make it good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Give ff16 to Kawazu

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tae posted:

Someone doesn't have the pc version of ff15

I played the console version til I got sick of it but I’m still tempted to get it on pc just for the mod experience (and the 60fps)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Leave FF16 to me.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Have Platinum make FF16.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

seiferguy posted:

Have Platinum make FF16.

only if SUDA51 and SWERY write the story

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Have Yoko Taro make FF16.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Have Yoko Ono make FFXVI

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Derek Smart's Fainaru Fantaji

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

they way they handled ff15 ff16 will be entirely designed by internet survey forms.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in FFX-2, about halfway through I think in the temple after the series of missions where you steal uniforms, and I just found out to get the bonuses on garmet grids like +5 DEF you have to change classes through those grid spots. Huh. I'm being really boring and just rolling with black mage/white mage/warrior and barely ever switching. Kind of wondering if I'm not ~playing it right~, the mechanic is there but I'd kind of rather just nuke someone with -aga spells over taking turns to cycle through to classes then taking turns not nuking with -aga spells to get stat bonuses.

Also just wanna say it's weird going backwards through FFs and seeing the mechanic refinement and how they play out differently. Playing 12 then X-2 back to back makes me admire how in 13 they combined the two and smoothed it out with X-2's mid battle job switching (but giving you free turns as another reason to do it) and 12's AI doing stuff for you but knowing what to do without having to unlock, buy, and set gambits. Kind of regretting not getting 13 in the last sale since I haven't played it for years and it sounds cool to do it again with a fresh view. But on deck is finishing X-2, 8, 7, 6, Xenoblade 2, Octopath, and Bersaria so I'm sure it'll be on sale again by 2021.

Fake edit oh nice I already own 13 just flagged it as hidden in Steam where I bet I finished it and said what was that poo poo lol.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
seriouspost, FF10, 12, 13, 13-2, Lightning Returns Final Fantasy, and 15 have all owned super hard the series is on a roll

14 is good too if you're into that kind of thing

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

IcePhoenix posted:

What? Why wouldn't the FF14 team still be working on FF14?

More and more senior staff from FF14 have been pulled off the team with the expansions being helmed by recently promoted junior staff. The business division (BD5) in charge of FF14 is hiring for positions that would be redundant with the existing FF14 team. The division is also hiring a non-FF14 project for next-gen systems (not clear if current gen or actually next-gen).

Altogether, we have a director, a writer, and several designers who are unaccounted for. Either they're working on a new IP or the next numbered FF game. All the other divisions don't work on AAA FF games or are accounted for (FF7 remake, Tabata's new IP, etc.)

Oxxidation posted:

i wonder if any of SE's rank-and-file ever have nightmares about being assigned to a Nomura project

People just leave the company if they're stuck on a dead-end project. That's what happened to the original Kingdom Hearts team who worked on Versus XIII. Many of them were veteran staff who had been with the company since the 90s which is a pretty big brain drain.

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm thinking a Destiny/The Division style loot co-op RPG with a create-a-character. Just about all the big RPG developers are making one. I'm not sure what the Square-Enix twist will be on the genre. More focus on story? Anime hair customization options? A theme sung by a JPop star?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The staff poaching from the XIV team couldn't come at a worse time - the next expansion is coming, and they're already feeding the players lines about how they can't keep making dungeons at the rate they used to.

I'd really like to avoid seeing the game having peaked already with Heavensward, but SE gonna SE.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Rinoa is pronounced like "quinoa" right

it's pronounced like rahowa

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Die Sexmonster! posted:

The staff poaching from the XIV team couldn't come at a worse time - the next expansion is coming, and they're already feeding the players lines about how they can't keep making dungeons at the rate they used to.

I'd really like to avoid seeing the game having peaked already with Heavensward, but SE gonna SE.

It’d be a shame if they scrapped eureka to focus on more interesting content. Hate to see a thing like that happen

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sunning, my man, get the gently caress out of here with your actual good and informative posts. This is the thread for saying "actually FF is bad."

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

I'm in FFX-2, about halfway through I think in the temple after the series of missions where you steal uniforms, and I just found out to get the bonuses on garmet grids like +5 DEF you have to change classes through those grid spots. Huh. I'm being really boring and just rolling with black mage/white mage/warrior and barely ever switching. Kind of wondering if I'm not ~playing it right~, the mechanic is there but I'd kind of rather just nuke someone with -aga spells over taking turns to cycle through to classes then taking turns not nuking with -aga spells to get stat bonuses.

There's no right or wrong way to play, as long as you're having fun. Just don't be surprised if your BM/WM/WA team isn't very optimal in some situations.

Switching solely for the gate bonuses might be something you want to do for any hard battles you come across. You can gain some powerful abilities/stat boosts from only one or two spherechanges. To make it go quicker, set the animation to Off, and cycle your whole team when enemies aren't attacking so that you can chain them back-to-back.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I'm fine with the dungeon thing to be honest. There is so much stuff you can do now to cap tomes and get other items that I only run an expert like once a week.

Considering the huge amount of dungeons already in the game what they should do for the next xpac is get a system to scale all old experts up to the current level cap for roulette and just add one new expert every patch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

precision posted:

14 is good too if you're into that kind of thing

It's my favorite MMO. I don't know how that happened.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

It's my favorite MMO. I don't know how that happened.

It's easily the best Final Fantasy since IX.

The MMO half is really fun as well, but it's a great single player RPG (that occasionally forces you to group to kill a god).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Back when MMOs were a thing I'd look at FFVII and think "man owning a house in this game is pointless, it'd be super cool if you could instead own a super expensive house in Costa Del Sol but in an MMO."

FFXIV allows you to do that.

And play Gold Saucer. And buy the Gold Saucer dunk mini-game and put in your beach house.

It's a dream come true.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sunning posted:

FF16 is likely in production already from the FF14 team.

Not that I would doubt that this decison-making could come from Square but do you have any evidence as to why they'd take their most competent team working on their most profitable non-mobile game, the only guys capable of making a WoW-clone work even after a catastrophic initial release, and put them to make FF16?

I mean, not talking about reasoning ("we need a mainline game that both doesn't take forever to make and doesn't suck" would be one), just evidence or source because as far as rumors go this one is pretty wild.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wasn't there a housing crisis in FFXIV a couple years ago

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Elentor posted:

Not that I would doubt that this decison-making could come from Square but do you have any evidence as to why they'd take their most competent team working on their most profitable non-mobile game, the only guys capable of making a WoW-clone work even after a catastrophic initial release, and put them to make FF16?

I mean, not talking about reasoning ("we need a mainline game that both doesn't take forever to make and doesn't suck" would be one), just evidence or source because as far as rumors go this one is pretty wild.

It's Square-Enix we're talking about, so them doing something dumb and crazy with a major game like FF16 is the most logical conclusion.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Help Im Alive posted:

This year/last year. There's at least two articles comparing it to the housing issues in Australia, pointing out that supply won't fix non-affordability.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a housing crisis now. FFXIV is an amazing game but their way of handling in-game housing is... tragic. Thankfully, between FC Houses and Apartments, it's not too hard to get something if you just want some personal space, but anyone wanting a plot of land of something larger then an apartment or small lot has to hope and pray they catch a lucky demolish or stay up all night on a scheduled housing cleanup dan try to grab something in the feeding frenzy when the servers go back up sometime between 1-4 AM Pacific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

It's Square-Enix we're talking about, so them doing something dumb and crazy with a major game like FF16 is the most logical conclusion.

Well yeah, that's why I opened my post with, "Not that I would doubt that this decison-making could come from Square". I just wanted to know if there was any deeper motivation for his post. I'm not challenging his reasoning, I'm just curious. If there is something more, then I want to know.