Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There are four of the terraced hexagon things allocated to the district that looks like living space, so maybe each one of those is something like 10 max pop and an additional building slot.

I’m curious what “size 16” means in this new system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh, I see there's two guys producing 16 minerals. Guess I was wrong about the whole minerals in space thing.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1019940390701621248

Stellaris: growing -> assembling -> declining

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Looks like luxury good production, eh.

Bet that ties in with a galactic marketplace...

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If they are doing this but not removing the pop cap on planets to instead add some sort of overpopulation mechanic then I cant even. Population caps on planets is another 20+ year old mechanic that should have gone away ages ago.

it would be pretty easy to do an overpopped mechanic if you disassociate from tiles.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So we need to build housing now? Interesting.

It also looks like POPs of different strata/roles/citizenship consume different amounts of food as well as different amounts of consumer goods - since Earth has a population of 26, produces 24 food but only uses 17. You now also have to specifically manufacture consumer goods instead of it being deducted from your overall mineral income.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Splicer posted:

I am intrigued by "Decisions"

They might just be renamed planetary edicts.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
There is a small, stupid part of me that wishes the terms were "Executives" and "Administrators" instead of admins and clerk's. Or bureacrats instead of clerks. I don't know why.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Epicurius posted:

They might just be renamed planetary edicts.

Pfttt, it's clearly this:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I would like six blue lightnings please.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

If I can be an empire of crusading, art-obsessed religious lunatics I will be so happy.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

THE BAR posted:

If I can be an empire of crusading, art-obsessed religious lunatics I will be so happy.

Isn't that what spiritualist/militarists normally are?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Isn't that what spiritualist/militarists normally are?

But now they can create art as an actual resource, possibly!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

turn off the TV posted:

I feel like you might be in for a surprise with the tab labeled "population."

I hope so. I don't really want a little pie chart (although I do like pie charts) just saying what percentage of the planet is what species with a small picture.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:siren: 316 Blorg Clerk pops rise up on Proxima Centauri b :siren:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

it would be pretty easy to do an overpopped mechanic if you disassociate from tiles.
This is what I was getting at. If you dont have to manage each pop individually it would be really cool if the population could keep going up and you have to make decisions on how to handle it. It would also be another vector for tall empires that they lacked before.

edit: its not like women wont be able to get pregnant anymore once the earth reaches x billion people living on it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

edit: its not like women wont be able to get pregnant anymore once the earth reaches x billion people living on it.

How dare you assign my fungus people a gender!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

I hope so. I don't really want a little pie chart (although I do like pie charts) just saying what percentage of the planet is what species with a small picture.
Good news!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

26 is already higher than any currently extant planet and it seems very likely to me that pop cap will go up with tech and/or buildings

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
When Wiz first started teasing the changes for planets and pops he showed an Earth with a population of 102. So it can get higher, much higher, than we've seen before.

The planet had been developed into one giant skyscraper at that point so that probably factors into it as well. Maybe that's what the decisions are for? Deciding how you want to develop the planet and utilize its population with some pastoral paradise or some polluted hell.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 19, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You know I've criticized Paradox's business model a lot in the past but I've got to give credit where credit is due, because this really shows the strength of it. The list of developers who are willing to a do major overhaul of a released product is very short. If almost anyone else released Stellaris it would be still be a lovely micro-management simulator with clown car war mechanics to this day and forever more.

I won't mince words: the release version of Stellaris was not a good game, except for a clown to play at the circus. But the effort to turn it around has been fantastic and it's getting better all the time. I look forward to this update.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
They’ve come a long way since crusader kings.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

:popeye:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Goddamn I want this update very bad.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wonder if the "declining" tab means you can have starvation (because of lack of resources, or because of outside intervention i.e. blockading).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

canepazzo posted:

Wonder if the "declining" tab means you can have starvation (because of lack of resources, or because of outside intervention i.e. blockading).

The voluntary self-extinction movement really taking off.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There is a small, stupid part of me that wishes the terms were "Executives" and "Administrators" instead of admins and clerk's. Or bureacrats instead of clerks. I don't know why.

They’re doing clerical work. They should be called clerics imo.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

canepazzo posted:

That could be percentage. As in all the space immigrants are coming to earth to steal our jerbs and human population percentage is declining as a result.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Senor Dog posted:

They’re doing clerical work. They should be called clerics imo.

The titles should change according to ethics and government types.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

IAmTheRad posted:

On the 7th day, the robots just spout Robot Jesus quotes at max volume

We believe he was built and that he was a very well-programmed Robot. But he wasn't our Messiah.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Splicer posted:

Good news!

I can't click on twitter links so I can't really see what's going on in that!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taear posted:

I can't click on twitter links so I can't really see what's going on in that!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

As always OwlFancier, you're a hero. Thanks!

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

THE BAR posted:

But now they can create art as an actual resource, possibly!

Would be cool if you could then use that art to influence another race's opinions or maybe cause unrest or subvert populations by culture bombing.
[Cue neighboring xenophobes screaming at you to turn down your radio and stop corrupting their kids with rock music]

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I wonder if this means that there will be fewer overall planets to colonize and manage. Making planets more valuable and less of a hassle b/c it would be quite an undertaking to get more than 12 or whatever

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

RedSnapper posted:

Would be cool if you could then use that art to influence another race's opinions or maybe cause unrest or subvert populations by culture bombing.
[Cue neighboring xenophobes screaming at you to turn down your radio and stop corrupting their kids with rock music]

One of the easiest ways to win Galactic Civilizations 2 was by drowning everyone else in iPods.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The new planet screen seems to be completely missing anything to do with armies or defenses at all. I wonder if it just hasn't been implemented yet or if that mechanic is being removed? Maybe just abstracted or rolled into space combat. Almost anything along those lines would be a drastic improvement over what we've got right now, so that's hopefully another thing to look forward to.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

EmbryoSteve posted:

I wonder if this means that there will be fewer overall planets to colonize and manage. Making planets more valuable and less of a hassle b/c it would be quite an undertaking to get more than 12 or whatever

I'm hoping that if we're approaching Vicky-levels of pop diversity and management we get some stronger automation tools to handle the day to day stuff.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Gadzuko posted:

The new planet screen seems to be completely missing anything to do with armies or defenses at all. I wonder if it just hasn't been implemented yet or if that mechanic is being removed? Maybe just abstracted or rolled into space combat. Almost anything along those lines would be a drastic improvement over what we've got right now, so that's hopefully another thing to look forward to.

There's an Armies tab right there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's possible that defence is another job role.

Yeah presumably it might generate armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

each empire could have a “galactic focus” that allows you to encourage things on a planet and you get more focuses by research

for example you could encourage pops to change to different classes like I don’t know, craftsmen, capitalists, clerks, soldiers, bureaucrats, clergy...