Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Remember when Yoshi's arms were orange?

That was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Moriatti posted:

Ok I'm on board now.

Jokes aside, it seems I was uniformed, this guy seems to have as much character as Falco. He still feels more like assist trophy status to me, but I'm much less sour on this.

this is such a weird barrier for entry.

What's Charizard's "personality," what about Ivysaur? What's the Duck Hunt dog's personality other than "laughs when you miss"? Should Ice Climbers have not been added to Melee because they don't have a personality in their game?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xad posted:

What's the Duck Hunt dog's personality other than "laughs when you miss"?

He's an rear end in a top hat, this is canon.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoS17ScB6vc

I like the intro to rainbow curse because Bandana Dee agrees to go on a quest to save the world before Kirby does. It was so close to being his big break!!!

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Tried Icons and it sucks rear end

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm not sure why personality is suddenly important for a roster space. At least half the roster has no personality, or only the most baseline kind like being nice or not-so-nice.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat, this is canon.

The Duck Hunt Dog is one of video games' greatest villains, and his taunt should sound more like his horrifying NES laugh. Kefka, when he was practicing his "UWA-HA-HA," studied the Duck Hunt Dog.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wii Fit Trainer, known for their personality

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It also feels weird to say "personality" matters when Pit literally got a personality thanks to Brawl, and had none before. Now he's a character, sure, but before Sakurai decided "hey, I can revitalize this franchise" he was nothing.

Personality never mattered, pretty much the only thing that does is Sakurai's whims, alongside whatever third party is willing to allow their characters in.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I appreciate Wii Fit Trainer's personality :pervert:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I miss when Yoshi was a dinosaur, as opposed to his current condition, a lumpy green man

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hate all of you

Wake me up when news happen

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

I hate all of you

I'm going to let you sleep past the King K. Rool announcement, and then give you a sleeping pill so you miss the actual game release.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bicyclops posted:

I'm going to let you sleep past the King K. Rool announcement, and then give you a sleeping pill so you miss the actual game release.

Give me a cyanide pill so ill never wake and read your posts

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kurtofan posted:

I hate all of you

See you in December.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I think expression through character design is definitely important to the Smash roster, as well as it is to Nintendo in general. Usually you can look at a Nintendo character and know what their deal is on first glance. This is why "my grandma/wife/little brother names all the smash characters!" videos are so popular.

Bandana Dee doesn't immediately give off that from his design IMO, but neither do a few other characters (namely a lot of Fire Emblems, which is why people who don't know them tend not to like them) so if he has something else to work with, you are fine.

This is important Nintendo as a company: it's why Mario + Rabbids happened and Link amd Samus weren't allowed in Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the Gamecube.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Have some direct feed footage

https://twitter.com/GameXplain/status/1019999478122729473?s=19

Spirit Tracks stage looking tight as hell so glad to see those hd improved stages

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Yeah, that's why Mario has such a great design. You can tell he's all about jumping on people and throwing fireballs by looking at his......hat?

Overalls????

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, that's why Mario has such a great design. You can tell he's all about jumping on people and throwing fireballs by looking at his......hat?

Overalls????

Red

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Rainuwastaken posted:

Overalls????

I mean the overalls and moustache were picked to make his face and are design choices made to show he HAS a face from the 8-nbit era.

But beyond that, Mario's moustach is turned up to illustrate joy and he's designed as a series of crescents and circles to evoke smiley faces. He also moves with a deliberate bounce to him. This stuff isn't accidental.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I unlocked all the characters in Brawl in one day

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

voltcatfish posted:

:same:

I just sat down with the game and played all the way through SSE, then went back to get Toon Link and Wolf who I had missed

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

voltcatfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xWjTyOdFVI

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Man Smash 64 had some sweet boxart. BIFF

Moriatti posted:

But beyond that, Mario's moustach is turned up to illustrate joy and he's designed as a series of crescents and circles to evoke smiley faces. He also moves with a deliberate bounce to him. This stuff isn't accidental.

Y'know that kind of design never even really registered in my head, but I guess that's what makes it Good. Neat to think about!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I mean yeah if you want to grind it out, you can just do 1 stock sudden death matches ad nauseam and get all the characters in 2 hours while watching Netflix.

But unlocking characters is a quest in the same way that conqueting dungeons is, I love savouring that.

EDIT: ^^^ I love thatkind of thought and if you are interested, you can find interviews and videos about the designs of most iconic characters or logos!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Watching that footage I realize that I really love the idea of being able to hold smash attacks indefinitely after charging, and I hope it's not a bug they missed and will fix later.

Before, if you saw somebody charging a smash attack it was a trivial thing to either avoid it or wait out the charge limit to pop, then punish. Now, approaching somebody who's charging a smash attack becomes a risky game of chicken. It's a small change, but the implications are pretty big.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dr Cheeto posted:

They want you to try your best to become physically fit, but they do not want you to over exert yourself.

Kurtofan posted:

Give me a cyanide pill so ill never wake and read your posts

:O

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I think Rick, Coo and Kine should be a Pokémon Trainer type shared character and also Gooey should be a Kirby echo. Thank you for your time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I want Simon Belmont mostly because I want a Castlevania stage.

i'm joking, i love byclipops's posting

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 19, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

It would also complete the Captain N trio of Simon, Mega Man and Pit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kurtofan posted:

i'm joking, i love byclipops's posting

Music too. Having Vampire Killer and Simon’s theme remixes would own.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Bloody Tears

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Give him a Trevor alt because I love the Netflix series and I'm in.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Waffleman_ posted:

give me baltar

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Bloody Tears

I am crying Bloody Tears Of Joy at the thought of this

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

codenameFANGIO posted:

I think Rick, Coo and Kine should be a Pokémon Trainer type shared character and also Gooey should be a Kirby echo. Thank you for your time.

I’d be happy with Bandana Dee, but this right here is the primo poo poo.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

A pokemon trainer alt color where everything is exactly the same, except the three pokemon have Ditto-face

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

A pokemon trainer alt color where everything is exactly the same, except the three pokemon have Ditto-face

So does the trainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

3 is rad and Trevor would rock.