Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are some parts of the manga that explain basically everything if you want definitive answers.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Why can you still not get Corpse Party Blood Drive on PC?

On the other end of the VN emotional spectrum, I played Digital A Love Story (having read an LP years back) and it's almost as good as Analogue, though the pacing was kinda poor (probably due to it being jammed out in like a month which is pretty impressive).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Cuntellectual posted:

It barely runs on the Vita!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cuntellectual posted:

Proof that's there's a God who cares

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

It barely runs on the Vita!

So I've heard, which is why I'd prefer it on PC where it presumably can run better.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Remember the part in Umineko where Battler is like, "I am a very good reader" and somehow its kinda badass?
That is my favorite part of Umineko.

I just wanted to share that with everyone.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

my favorite part is where beato says "battler is a dumbass" in red text

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Stexils posted:

honestly kinda a spoiler early on my favorite part is where beato says "battler is a dumbass" in red text

I just saw this and it was great :allears:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Doubleposting here and IDGAF because I just finished Umineko Ch2 and the epilogues and :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

It's like a 20 hour taunt at the reader and it kept kicking the fourth wall around and trampling it and poo poo it was awesome.

It also, uh, kind of explained a lot of Higurashi. Well, not explained, but . . . . . . I don't even know how to talk about it without massive spoilers, and Hig ch7 is probably not happening until mid 2019 at the earliest, but. . . . . that's not really who I expected Lambdadelta to be. But holy poo poo does a ton of stuff start making sense in light of that. Like, even without any guesses at motivations or anything, just assuming they're hostile the whole time and so many things fall into place. And there are so many hints! They even live together!

is there some kind of :psyduck: that explodes all over the page into more psyducks?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It gets even better

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

food court bailiff posted:

is there some kind of :psyduck: that explodes all over the page into more psyducks?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm glad people are enjoying Umineko.

I got codes for muv luv on the vita so I think its time to dive into that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

food court bailiff posted:

Doubleposting here and IDGAF because I just finished Umineko Ch2 and the epilogues and :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

It's like a 20 hour taunt at the reader and it kept kicking the fourth wall around and trampling it and poo poo it was awesome.

It also, uh, kind of explained a lot of Higurashi. Well, not explained, but . . . . . . I don't even know how to talk about it without massive spoilers, and Hig ch7 is probably not happening until mid 2019 at the earliest, but. . . . . that's not really who I expected Lambdadelta to be. But holy poo poo does a ton of stuff start making sense in light of that. Like, even without any guesses at motivations or anything, just assuming they're hostile the whole time and so many things fall into place. And there are so many hints! They even live together!

This is definitely a post you/I/we should revisit once you've finished Higurashi.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm very very early on to Umineko, like 4 hours in, but I'm liking it so far. I really don't trust the George guy. Rudolf is my favorite character so far.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

This is definitely a post you/I/we should revisit once you've finished Higurashi.

Oh great, now I'm going to be stuck wondering where and how I'm misinterpreting things for the next two years. :(

I'm at least right on the character, right?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For now I think you just shouldn't overthink it, Umineko and Higurashi are not explicitly connected in the first place (though obviously a lot of fun resemblances that are worth discussing) and at this point you're missing some of the pieces that make the thing you've noticed really click.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I feel like I have a super different read on the characters of Umineko compared to some here :allears: but I think that's part of what makes it a great novel. Like, you can structure a whole course around Harry Potter or GoT but they've got nothing on this.

specifically I'm just looking at that re-read tumblr linked, I think it's a fun analysis and they raise some good points but I really disagree with a lot of their specific reads so far

The vast majority of the way the seacats blog interprets Umineko is correct, as ultimately made "official" by the manga (though it was pretty clear even before that once you've read it with the right ideas in mind). Specifically, its read of the characters' motivations/circumstances (etc) is all spot-on.

Umineko is probably one of the only things I've read where "you need to read carefully with the right ideas in mind to properly understand it" is true without the underlying work being pretentious or overly complex.

(Also, just in case I should mention that the poster who mentioned the 10 hour YouTube videos was - hopefully - kidding. That whole theory is one of the funniest things to come from Umineko.)

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Ytlaya posted:

The vast majority of the way the seacats blog interprets Umineko is correct, as ultimately made "official" by the manga (though it was pretty clear even before that once you've read it with the right ideas in mind). Specifically, its read of the characters' motivations/circumstances (etc) is all spot-on.

Umineko is probably one of the only things I've read where "you need to read carefully with the right ideas in mind to properly understand it" is true without the underlying work being pretentious or overly complex.

(Also, just in case I should mention that the poster who mentioned the 10 hour YouTube videos was - hopefully - kidding. That whole theory is one of the funniest things to come from Umineko.)

I'm talking about their reads on various' characters' personality and thoughts which are certainly not something you can have a one true idea on. I think it's actually really bizarre to promote a couple people's personal re-read thoughts as "the one correct interpretation of an 80+ hour layered work + supplemental materials." It's full of extremely specific line by line reads that are colored by their personal interpretation of a character. They literally call themselves goats and I don't think that's wrong, because a lot of their analysis feels like it's missing love for all but one or two characters (and the interpretations of those are also weirdly inconsistent). There's a difference between re-reading with the culprit and motivation in mind and re-reading going line by line "this is further evidence this person is stupid/trash/fake/selfish/hateful/whatever else".

I also think anyone who calls it a deeply cynical work is really missing the heart completely.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
It's still possible to have different reads in terms of personal character interpretations that can change a lot depending on your own morals etc

But the goats do get a lot of things right (maybe everything?) in terms of characters reasoning/what was really going on.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Meallan posted:

It's still possible to have different reads in terms of personal character interpretations that can change a lot depending on your own morals etc

But the goats do get a lot of things right (maybe everything?) in terms of characters reasoning/what was really going on.

I'm definitely not arguing against that (at least, mostly not).

vv I agree with that totally.

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 17, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think learning the answer then working these things out for yourself on a reread is a better experience.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

For now I think you just shouldn't overthink it, Umineko and Higurashi are not explicitly connected in the first place (though obviously a lot of fun resemblances that are worth discussing) and at this point you're missing some of the pieces that make the thing you've noticed really click.

Also pretty sure there was at least one key mistake made in food court bailiff's observations thus far.

Won't say which, though. :v:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also pretty sure there was at least one key mistake made in food court bailiff's observations thus far.

Won't say which, though. :v:

:gonk:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Without love, it cannot be seen...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I'm talking about their reads on various' characters' personality and thoughts which are certainly not something you can have a one true idea on. I think it's actually really bizarre to promote a couple people's personal re-read thoughts as "the one correct interpretation of an 80+ hour layered work + supplemental materials." It's full of extremely specific line by line reads that are colored by their personal interpretation of a character. They literally call themselves goats and I don't think that's wrong, because a lot of their analysis feels like it's missing love for all but one or two characters (and the interpretations of those are also weirdly inconsistent). There's a difference between re-reading with the culprit and motivation in mind and re-reading going line by line "this is further evidence this person is stupid/trash/fake/selfish/hateful/whatever else".

I also think anyone who calls it a deeply cynical work is really missing the heart completely.

I'm kinda confused because the Goats Reading Seacats interpretation is generally good about simultaneously having empathy for the characters while also acknowledging that they're mostly pretty bad people. They're pretty negative towards George, but rightfully so for the most part (and they still occasionally make positive comments on things related to him), and they comment on Battler being kind of insensitive, but that's also completely true.

It might help if you mention some specific things in spoiler tags. Regarding the "having love for characters" thing, I think a lot of people misinterpret that as "thinking characters are good." You can empathize with someone and understand their motivations and still come to the conclusion that they're ultimately a pretty bad person.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I mean, off the top of my head, they aren’t just negative about George, they literally read *every single interaction* he ever has, line by line, as arrogant and passive aggressive & fake

I can’t get into the other things that really set me off without going into spoilers I’m not comfortable putting in a thread with active readers, even when spoiler tagged. In particular I really violently disagree with the idea that some people realistically have no chance at happiness & I don’t believe that the story makes that point at all. But I would appreciate it if you stopped acting like I’m stupid or misunderstanding something because I disagree with a random person’s psychoanalysis of fictional characters. I literally started out saying that the fact people can have very different takes is a GOOD thing. I’m not trying to change your mind, I just think it’s bullshit to act like everyone has to feel the same way.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think they maybe over-interpret stuff a little too much but they're generally right about the character personalities. George absolutely gets off on feeling superior to others. And he definitely has some long-standing resentment towards Battler over Sayo, though that doesn't mean that every time he teases Battler, he's doing it from a place of pure hatred or anything. He's not a sociopath. His sense of superiority and niggling resentment intermingles with his genuine love and compassion for his cousins.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think they maybe over-interpret stuff a little too much but they're generally right about the character personalities. George absolutely gets off on feeling superior to others. And he definitely has some long-standing resentment towards Battler over Sayo, though that doesn't mean that every time he teases Battler, he's doing it from a place of pure hatred or anything. He's not a sociopath. His sense of superiority and niggling resentment intermingles with his genuine love and compassion for his cousins.

Yeah but they do that constantly. In general for some of the characters they have bitch eating crackers syndrome. There's a difference between him being arrogant and trying to look good and... whatever they're reading into things like him telling Battler not to confuse Maria, or implying that he's undermining Rosa by humoring her, etc etc. There's almost this thread of like, "everyone is bad and equally bad" and bad stuff that he does knowingly is you know, pretty minimal compared to slapping your kid around or murdering everyone. Battler gets the read like he's stupid and oblivious but George gets read as cold and calculating in a way I genuinely believe he is not. And I think they overreach a lot of the time when they get into what a character is feeling in a specific moment as opposed to their overall motivations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

One day I will get over how dry and dumb Umeniko begins and get beyond those parts where battler acts like a massive richter scale.

How's Higurashi in that regard? How much do you need to slog through before it starts rolling?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 19, 2018

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

idk man if you dont like battler getting viciously owned for being an idiot umineko might not be for you

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mindblast posted:

One day I will get over how dry and dumb Umeniko begins and get beyond those parts where battler acts like a massive retard.

How's Higurashi in that regard? How much do you need to slog through before it starts rolling?
I forget how many hours it is but the First Twilight is (for reasons that are obvious at the time) when it gets pretty real for the first time. That said I like the early parts of Umineko EP1 that are just the adults bickering because boy there are some barbs and bad blood there.

IMO Higurashi is worse at getting started because the first couple of chapters were amongst the first things that the author had written and he spends a lot of time faffing about with the club's silly antics before getting into the meat of the story. The chapters are also a fair bit shorter than most of the later ones (as well as Umineko) so it's not the end of the world, though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Whenever airplane pilots practice sky writing they should have them write "Battler is an idiot" cause god it can't be stated enough and that kid can't get owned enough.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The appeal of umineko is battler wildly swinging between being extremely badass and extremely owned

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

I just finished the question arc for Umineko a week ago, and drat it's hard to motivate myself to get through the answer chapters. I like them, they're just so. drat. Long.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cake Attack posted:

The appeal of umineko is battler wildly swinging between being extremely badass and extremely owned

He reads.... books.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Nate RFB posted:

IMO Higurashi is worse at getting started because the first couple of chapters were amongst the first things that the author had written and he spends a lot of time faffing about with the club's silly antics before getting into the meat of the story. The chapters are also a fair bit shorter than most of the later ones (as well as Umineko) so it's not the end of the world, though.

I think Watanagashi suffers from that most, because you’re coming off Onikakushi, which has the advantage of being “new” and you don’t know where it’s going, so the the club stuff doesn’t drag, but Watanagashi doesn’t have that excuse. By Tatarigoroshi he’s got his head in and is writing the normal life stuff in a way (that I least I felt) isn’t dull. Watanagashi’s by far the worst of the question arcs IMO.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ve liked the beginning of Umineko quite a bit. I almost wish there was no Real Magic stuff in it but it’s inevitable at this point.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I still haven't read Higurashi because I want all 8 to be out first :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Higurashi is immeasurably slower than Umineko, even later during the answer arcs. The club activities just draaaag. I actually thought coming to Watanagashi from Onikakushi was cool just from the tonal shift from the end of 1, but by Tatarigoroshi I was pretty bored with it.

That said, Umineko has a slow roll at the beginning of 1 as everyone is introduced but after that it hits the gas and hasn't slowed down yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
drat, I would like to see higurashi but I cannot imagine something even slower than the beginning of umineko.