Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Car talk runs a higher risk of self posting than wedding chat.

I think BMW has a subscription model for people who want to pay for their cars forever. I’m surprised no cheaper brands have tried it. I guess there’s a lot of moral hazard involved if you know you’re just going to replace it with a newer model in 5 years.

Edit: holy poo poo I just got the white van speakers scam in a Whole Foods parking lot.

All the luxury car brands are currently launching the subscription services, including Porsche, Volvo Audi, and Mercedes. Subscription everything is the way of the future, because enough morons will probably pay for the convenience. If you ask me the expenses are astronomical right now. For example the basic tier of the BMW program costs $2,000 per month and gives you the privilege of driving a 5 series or an X5, and the M tier of the program costs $3,700 and gives you the privilege of driving and M4 or an M6 or whatever you feel like driving. You could buy a Ferrari for $3, 700 a month or you could just do something boring like buy a house and an M4 and still pay less than $3,700 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Haifisch posted:

Oh yes, small dealerships are definitely less likely to milk you for every cent you have. :allears:
He uses Navy Federal as his bank so he's probably military* so it's a used car lot near a military base. Those are the sharkiest sharks around.

Edit: that could also explain a lease on a 6 year old Focus

*might be ex-military and moved away from base but still using Navy Fed.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 19, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

*snip*

And of course if your car gets crunched in an accident, insurance pays out on what it's worth, not what you owe (unless you are carrying gap insurance)

why would you pay cash when you can get a really good split between finance rates and the market? agreed you should never be upside down on the loan

I didn’t understand what gap insurance was at all when I recently financed a used truck. It was just completely alien to me that people would put themselves on the hook for something for more than it was worth knowing they wouldn’t be able to pay for it when/if something happened.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phanatic posted:

Whether they make financial sense is...questionable.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...-600-per-month/

That includes insurance, in Detroit where the average car insurance premium is ~$5500/year that's a drat value. $600/mo won't cover a Corolla lease + insurance. In other markets with anomalously high insurance costs, it's a good value.

It looks like my guess was low. Good car insurance alone is more than $600/mo in Detroit, so your TCO would be lower to subscribe to a new Volvo than to drive a 10 year old Prius:
https://quotewizard.com/auto-insurance/detroit-michigan

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 19, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
:japan:

quote:

Wasting my time in Japan

I've just spent my first 7 days in Tokyo but have done almost nothing. With another 3 weeks to go I'd like to change that.

I've visited all the major locations like Akihabara, Ueno, Ikebukuro, Asakusa, Meguro, Shibuya, Harajuku and Shinjuku. However all I do is get there and walk around. Most of the time I don't even enter any shops because I don't need to buy anything.

The only things I've done are AirBnB experiences (which were great) and @home maid café. However AirBnB doesn't offer experiences in Japan outside Tokyo and I plan to travel to Kansai now.

How can I make the most out of the rest of my trip?

quote:

So, you get out of a trip what you put into it. I would suggest taking a deep breath and thinking hard about what would make you happy. A lot of people consider "going to a place and walking around" to be adequate for a vacation or for seeing a sight. But it sounds like that doesn't fulfill you. What would fulfill you? What do you like? Do you want to eat a specific food? Find a specific souvenir? Experience a specific thing (like a show or event)?

I like meeting local people. I am not interested in other foreigners. I met one Japanese guy in a hostel bar and one Japanese girl at HUB who took a photo with me but I find it hard work because I hate drinking and only force myself to do it to gain these experiences.

However, now I have to plan the rest of my trip so my evenings cannot be spent in bars at least for the next few days while trying to get everything figured out.

Thanks for your post.

quote:

Did you go on a trip without even a modicum of planning? You said: "force myself to do it to gain these experiences." I think maybe you should reconsider travelling as a whole, if that's the case. So why did you travel to Japan then? There must have been something there that made you decide to spend a month.

I believed the hype about girls loving foreigners, so I wanted to meet some, but they don't. Most Japanese don't care. You may get a few looks because you're different in appearance but that's all. Now I'm just lost drifting in a sea of faces.

quote:

LOL! I don't think he can be helped.

You can be as judgemental as you like. It's good to know you have such a comfortable life where you can enjoy simple things like flowers or whatever. As someone who is 32 and has never had a girlfriend I have different priorities.

quote:

"As someone who is 32 and has never had a girlfriend I have different priorities."

Not to shame you but this really says it all. You really need to start developing yourself personally before you can expect to come on a sex romp to a first world country. Thailand would have been a better experience for you to lose your virgin tendencies.

Considering you haven't had one for the past 20ish years of dating life, what made you think the women in Japan are any different? Of course, an average white guy is more popular in Japan compared to an average japanese guy, but if you're still below average/autistic/un-dateable in a lot of aspects you are not going to have much luck regardless.

"of course an average white guy is more popular than an average Japanese guy"

This is what I mistakenly believed but it is wrong.

Your other assumptions are as wrong as they are insulting. Your assumption that I have spent my entire dating life looking for a girlfriend is false, so judging my success by my age is a flawed metric. For what it's worth, I'm not a virgin either.

quote:

You're going to Japan for the wrong reason then.

Maybe so but I couldn't have known that in advance. It was not unreasonable to assume that Japanese women were less shallow than Western women.

quote:

Can I add, most normal people enjoy going shopping, going to museums, going to temples, and drinking with locals (all good suggestions that have come up in this thread, all things you seem to hate).

So, a normal person here would list things that they're interested in. You haven't done that, and instead only lamented that Japanese girls haven't thrown themselves at you (though you also definitely didn't come here for sex).

So, yeah. Time to reflect on yourself a bit here?

I can agree I am not normal.

I am very depressed, because it seems like I will have wasted all of my savings (approximately $6,500) for nothing.

quote:

Good! Your first step towards becoming a reflecting individual. Now, ask yourself, honestly:

What is it that you expected to happen in Japan?

1) Were your expectations realistic?

2) Can you make your expectations come true somehow?

3) What is it you enjoy doing, normally?

4) Can you do that here in Japan?

5) Do some combination of the things you normally enjoy doing and the things you can only do in Japan.

Viola! This is the big secret to enjoying a vacation!

1) Find out if it is feasible for a foreigner to date in Japan

2) I met a nice girl in HUB, got her LINE, but she didn't seem interested in meeting again. Somehow I have concluded it is not possible, mainly due to language barrier. Japanese see foreigners either as an amusement or to be avoided, but certainly not something to take seriously.

3) Sitting on my rear end in front of a computer.

4) I hope not.

5) I only want to do things possible in Japan. To that effect I am going to an onsen today.

Thanks for your questions.

quote:

"Japanese see foreigners either as an amusement or to be avoided, but certainly not something to take seriously."

Can I suggest, possibly, that maybe, just maybe.... this isn't actually true, and it only seems this way to you because you have poor social skills, can't speak Japanese, and are using a vacation in a foreign country to try to get a date?

It certainly has a lot to do with not being able to speak Japanese. If a foreigner were fluent in Japanese I think that person could be received completely differently. What little Japanese I can speak is often met with compliments (sugoi jouzu) and excitement. Japanese really appreciate the effort but if you're not fluent you won't be date material.

quote:

Japan invites you to try new things and get out of your comfort zone with very little risk. If you're hungry, just look around and see what's there. More often than enough, you'll find that there's like a good 3-5 places to eat within walking distance (less so if you're out in the countryside).

There certainly is no shortage of places to eat. However my Japanese is not as passable as yours so a cryptic menu is unfortunately a deal breaker for me. Maybe eating is one of the many things I could enjoy more after a few years of language study. I will rededicate myself now that I know how the locals are.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravel/comments/6379ap/wasting_my_time_in_japan/?st=JJRRBGL8&sh=8d912665

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That is bad with so much more than money.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That was alternating between depressing and irritating

That guy sucks

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

That includes insurance, in Detroit where the average car insurance premium is ~$5500/year that's a drat value. $600/mo won't cover a Corolla lease + insurance. In other markets with anomalously high insurance costs, it's a good value.

It looks like my guess was low. Good car insurance alone is more than $600/mo in Detroit, so your TCO would be lower to subscribe to a new Volvo than to drive a 10 year old Prius:
https://quotewizard.com/auto-insurance/detroit-michigan

Wow. Detroit costs almost as much each month as the average San Francisco car insurance for the entire year.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lmao

He posted another follow up thread, and it seems he at least managed to get over those 'cryptic' food menus/window displays: https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravel/comments/66fjln/final_day_in_tokyo_and_japan/

keroppl
Jan 4, 2013
What could possibly justify those Detroit insurance rates? My liability only covering $90k is $800 a year on a 2009 Camry.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's extremely aggravating to see mediocre horrible humans turn inwards and assume that the world is hosed, and it's totally not them

I mean the world is definitely hosed but that guy needs to understand that men and women have standards everywhere...if he is undateable trash here he will certainly be undateable trash even in impoverished nations, let alone a first world nation that has been around far longer than the US has lmao (not to mention people there aren't obese fucks by default)

As an American myself, god it feels so good to see my fellow countrymen stumble in their pathetic attempts to leverage their "privelege" and step out of their bubble to realize that oh poo poo, Americans aren't special and are in fact sometimes considered more undesirable than other nationalities due to having our head so far up our loving rear end

But not this guy. He's gonna just go deeper into the redpill rabbit hole isn't he?

E: or based on his follow up thread he's totally loving with all of us. But people this lovely definitely exist :sigh:

EE: oh poo poo this is the bwm thread not the schad thread

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 19, 2018

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

keroppl posted:

What could possibly justify those Detroit insurance rates? My liability only covering $90k is $800 a year on a 2009 Camry.

It has something to do with Michigan being a no-fault insurance state with no max medical liability for the insurance provider. Apparently you can be at fault for an accident in Michigan and your own insurance provider has to pay for all of your medical bills. And because it costs so much a huge number of drivers are uninsured, so that gets rolled into premiums to cover being hit by an uninsured motorist

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Baxate posted:

It has something to do with Michigan being a no-fault insurance state with no max medical liability for the insurance provider. Apparently you can be at fault for an accident in Michigan and your own insurance provider has to pay for all of your medical bills. And because it costs so much a huge number of drivers are uninsured, so that gets rolled into premiums to cover being hit by an uninsured motorist

It's a rolling catch-22 where well-intentioned social policy collides with market realities, horribly. It's not a matter of fault, the point is Michigan allows for no fault, meaning what you said happens - they have to pay in many cases no matter what. Private for-profit insurance companies don't exist for the collective good. There's a deep rabbit hole of finger-pointing that could be explored here but in this thread in particular it's pointless wanking.

The point is when faced with huge no-recourse liabilities insurance companies are going to charge more, then people who can't afford it will drive without it, then uninsured motorist liabilities pile up and raise those rates even further for the people that can afford it, and eventually everyone gets hosed. It's like watching a 5mph car crash where neither vehicle stops.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Baxate posted:

Please travel back to the long ago time of 7 days ago to read where the thread had this exact same conversation, if you want actual info and not vague assumptions about the exciting topic of car insurance rates in Michigan: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120&userid=104596#post485973364

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Phanatic posted:

They have. Ford/Lincoln have a subscription service, so do Volvo, Cadillac, Merc, and Porsche (granted those last aren't really cheaper than BMW). There are also third-party companies that offer subscription services.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/12/car-subscription-services-going-become-new-normal/

Whether they make financial sense is...questionable.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/11/volvo-xc40-subscription-service-starts-at-600-per-month/

The analysis kind of falls down since Care by Volvo includes maintenance and it's a month-to-month subscription, so you can change it at any time. Not that that's good with money, but it's providing additional utility over a standard lease.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They're also limiting their high end power trains to Care only, it seems.

Are margins lower on the upgraded power train models of cars? I feel like every year there are fewer and fewer models with a +vroom version

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KingSlime posted:

It's extremely aggravating to see mediocre horrible humans turn inwards and assume that the world is hosed, and it's totally not them

I mean the world is definitely hosed but that guy needs to understand that men and women have standards everywhere...if he is undateable trash here he will certainly be undateable trash even in impoverished nations, let alone a first world nation that has been around far longer than the US has lmao (not to mention people there aren't obese fucks by default)

As an American myself, god it feels so good to see my fellow countrymen stumble in their pathetic attempts to leverage their "privelege" and step out of their bubble to realize that oh poo poo, Americans aren't special and are in fact sometimes considered more undesirable than other nationalities due to having our head so far up our loving rear end

But not this guy. He's gonna just go deeper into the redpill rabbit hole isn't he?

E: or based on his follow up thread he's totally loving with all of us. But people this lovely definitely exist :sigh:

EE: oh poo poo this is the bwm thread not the schad thread

Yeah I try my best not to think about all the lovely expats we send to places like Thailand and Vietnam. It's disgusting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They're also limiting their high end power trains to Care only, it seems.

Are margins lower on the upgraded power train models of cars? I feel like every year there are fewer and fewer models with a +vroom version

don't know why you think the latter is true, if anything we're still deep in the horsepower wars. what cars are you referring to?

they're launching some of the T6 stuff through Care by Volvo but it'll be available for purchase soon enough

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Sirotan posted:

lmao

He posted another follow up thread, and it seems he at least managed to get over those 'cryptic' food menus/window displays: https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravel/comments/66fjln/final_day_in_tokyo_and_japan/

:stare:

Buy what you like. Simple as that. Even if you don't buy anything just looking around is a good way to use your time.

Thinking about some kawaii animu girl with her panties on display. Maybe no pantsu.

:stare:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mazda saying they'll never make a Speed again, Subaru dropping the XT version of the Forrester, and I think I heard something about the 2019 Ford focus being really dumb?

All are economy cars so this might be limited to lower priced vehicles?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The analysis kind of falls down since Care by Volvo includes maintenance and it's a month-to-month subscription, so you can change it at any time. Not that that's good with money, but it's providing additional utility over a standard lease.

Yeah, but how much maintenance are you going to have to do on a lease?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Mazda saying they'll never make a Speed again, Subaru dropping the XT version of the Forrester, and I think I heard something about the 2019 Ford focus being really dumb?

Next Ford Focus RS is supposed to be a 400-horsepower hybrid.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 19, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

All are economy cars so this might be limited to lower priced vehicles?

It's a pretty small set of examples. The Forester XT take rate was something like 2.5%. The Focus is turning in to a crossover but there will be a next gen RS. Mazda is too small to make performance vehicles but you can still get a Mazda6 with a turbo engine, it's just the MS3 that died. But the MS3 died and now in the segment we get the CTR, Focus ST and RS, and the Hyundai N cars to replace it.

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, but how much maintenance are you going to have to do on a lease?

Blades, oil, maybe tires, fluids, maybe a CAF over 36,000 miles. The lease on the equivalent trim is about $500/mo equivalent pricing ($375, $3400 down, 36mos) so I actually think Care by Volvo is a fairly decent deal especially considering the transaction is a hell of a lot easier than buying a car and you turn the car in whenever you feel like it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Like I said, not a car guy. I was more looking to you for your knowledge rather than trying to disagree!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah I try my best not to think about all the lovely expats we send to places like Thailand and Vietnam. It's disgusting.

(Un)fortunately, scumbags from all countries head there, not only Americans and not only English speakers.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I actually think Care by Volvo is a fairly decent deal especially considering the transaction is a hell of a lot easier than buying a car and you turn the car in whenever you feel like it.

Especially since it also includes flat-rate auto insurance with Liberty Mutual. I'm not sure I'd go so far to say that Care By Volvo is Good With Money™, but it's not even remotely as bad as the stuff from Porsche/Benz/BMW.

The initial trip reports about Care By Volvo sound like it's been off to a pretty bumpy start, though.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Husband racks up $400K in medical school debt, decides he wants to make $48K a year doing research.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/906m2l/fiance_has_390000_in_student_loan_debt_how_on/?st=JJSZOHHH&sh=7369e88a

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Sure whatever. PSLF

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if he's doing research what about PSLF

e: f,b

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
You have to really pay attention, but she casually mentions in like 10 words that she has $100k herself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Harry posted:

You have to really pay attention, but she casually mentions in like 10 words that she has $100k herself.

i enjoyed the immediate handwaving away of this

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Also, the fiancé seems to have backed out of a match under mysterious circumstances that may have totally hosed his career.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wolfy posted:

Also, the fiancé seems to have backed out of a match under mysterious circumstances that may have totally hosed his career.

He backed out? I just thought he didn't match, which while not great is definitely recoverable.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Both in 6 figure debt

Bot low income

Same economic caste confirmed

Marriage approved

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

He backed out? I just thought he didn't match, which while not great is definitely recoverable.
Yeah,it’s buried deep in the comments. The school said he can’t match until 2020, but several people think he’s totally screwed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what a moran

edit: lol he committed a match violation jesus christ, she should dump him immediately

I liked garbageman redditor and the guy who replied to her "but he doesnt want to do clinical anymore" post "i don't want to go to work every day but here i am"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 19, 2018

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
What's a match violation? I want to make sure I'm getting as much schadenfreude out of this as possible

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

OP posted:

It's a long story, but he originally matched in a fairly competitive program in 2017, but then had to repeat an extra year of medical school due to some fairly intense circumstances. Part of his stipulations for completing a 5th year is not being able to participate in the match until 2020. That being said, based off his boards and his medical school's opinion, there should not be an issue of not matching if he were to redo the match. The issue is, he has no desire to do clinical medicine anymore

redditor posted:

Clinical doctor chiming in, to prevent him matching when he passed everything otherwise, the most likely thing short of a serious complaint against him or possible serious negligence (although he shouldn't be in a position to be negligent as a student) is probably going to be either a criminal charge/investigation or mental health issues with hospitalisation deemed to be related to stress and a threat to either his own, or his patients welfare.

And someone explaining the matching process/violations in more detail:

quote:

The Match is the process that graduating med students go through to get a residency. The application cycle starts summer before 4th year; at this time, med students apply to all of the residency programs they want in their desired specialty. Starting around September, programs start reaching out to those they want to interview. These are in-person interviews, so students then have to travel around the country trying to impress program directors. They then rank the programs they interviewed with in one final list due in February, and the programs do the same. A computer algorithm pairs the two, yielding Match results in late March. The Match is considered binding, so wherever it tells you you're going, that's where you have to go to train. A lot of med students get somewhere in their top 3, but some fall way lower on their lists, or don't Match anywhere.

The Match, in addition to being an expensive, time-consuming, and stressful process, comes with a lot of rules about what you can and cannot do/say. Breaking these rules can result in what is called a Match Violation. The most common ones are interviewing with or accepting a spot at programs outside the Match without formally withdrawing from the Match, breaking the binding agreement with the program that matched you, lying to programs, and posting confidential Match information on public websites. If you violate the rules of the Match, you are considered a Match violator and are usually barred from the Match for 3 years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think it's a true violation and not mental health because she says "intense circumstances" and not "personal health reasons" but it's way less fun if the dude just had a breakdown.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Becoming a doctor sounds annoying as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
It's really not as complicated as these people make it seem. Getting into med school is a bit of a bitch, but once you're there, the vast vast majority of people match, graduate, etc. just fine.