Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

Texas? Definitely best in the market. What the hell was the third best? Houston? Total cost of attendance for three years at $225k, excluding opportunity costs.

Do it.

He said he got dinged at UT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Vox Nihili posted:

God damnit. Post the school so I can math how bad a decision this will be.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

He said it's a regional school and best in region (he said school is now "first best"). And he hates Canada's weather and loves the west coast. So since UCLA is highest ranking in southern California, I assumed that his market area was misunderstanding that the other great California schools will place in LA.

other than that, I can only see it being Texas. Which is decent bet for this state, since Texas rules over all the other schools.

If he wants to live life in Columbus then lol though.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

mad_Thick posted:

Are there any veterans in here that have gone to law school? A handful of the t14 schools offer full rides via the Yellow Ribbon program.

Yes and YR is awesome combined with post 9/11 GI bill.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

New guy, please go to UCLA and pay the OoS rate to subsidize our wonderful but underfunded UC system. Thanks, in advance.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

He said it's a regional school and best in region (he said school is now "first best"). And he hates Canada's weather and loves the west coast. So since UCLA is highest ranking in southern California, I assumed that his market area was misunderstanding that the other great California schools will place in LA.

other than that, I can only see it being Texas. Which is decent bet for this state, since Texas rules over all the other schools.

If he wants to live life in Columbus then lol though.

Ohio State might make sense - that he'd get a decent scholarship from a private school like Case Western or Cincinnati who could afford to give that much money to a Canadian who wants to be a wiener and cheer for THE Ohio State at football games as they get knocked out of the playoffs and lose 24-55 to THE University of Iowa

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I see 60+ posts
I am not disappointed

Go to law school GET MONEY

We would also appreciate if you could summon throatwarbler for us, although he told us he's a bit busy

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014

Toona the Cat posted:

Yes and YR is awesome combined with post 9/11 GI bill.

I honestly can't tell when people are being serious or sarcastic in this thread anymore...

I'd love to go to a t14 California school that offers Unlimited on their Yellow Ribbon program, preferably Stanford.

Full ride through law school while getting paid $3000+ a month just to go to school a bad idea?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Pook Good Mook posted:

If so:

From their website:

California Resident: $45,660.87
Non-Resident: $52,154.87
Health insurance: $3,901.94* (required unless you can show comparable coverage)

Off campus cost of living: $23,214

Total estimated cost of three years, including the mandatory insurance: $237,812.43.

Not including moving fees. Assuming you make approx. $50k per year as an IT guy in a corporation (likely an underestimation) - $150k in lost wages, not including any unforeseeable opportunities (promotions, networking getting you a new job).

You are going to lose about $400k on a maybe. And that isn't including interest on the loans.

And you need to do a fourth year to certify in Canada

Yep, and that COL would require sharing a bathroom with four people. I did get offered what amounts to a ~20% scholarship, and I have some external funding so I'm modelling close to $150K debt all in. Then interest on top. More if I went back to Canada.

I'm struggling with the EV of a 30% chance of being golden and a 70% chance of being ruined vs my present course of a 100% chance of doing OK but hating everything.

The thing is I'm pretty maxed out in terms of opportunity in this field in my region and there's no promotions in the pipeline. The catch-22 is I'd need a promotion to move somewhere else. And a lateral move just to spice things up would almost certainly be a downgrade in terms of benefits/lifestyle.

I've thought about getting an MBA instead but that seems even worse than going for a law degree.

nm posted:

And USC has so much alumni pull, it is hard to say, strictly, that getting a job out of UCLA will be easier than USC.

This assumes a work visa as big law ain't getting a visa for a first-year associate out of ucla.

To my understanding I can get an OPT visa immediately post-grad to ingratiate myself until someone puts me up for the H1B lottery, and I'd be TN eligible until NAFTA disappears. I've heard anecdotally the sponsorship for Canadians in particular isn't a big deal to biglaw if you're suitably qualified.

Vox Nihili posted:

The practice of law, at least at the biglaw associate level, is 75% trying not to sound like an idiot even when you have no idea what's going on and 25% answering work emails at 1 am.

This is literally my forte.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Vox Nihili posted:

He later clarified university of toronto.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Fixing this.

quote:

I enjoy being a biglaw partner. I think the characteristics that help me are: (i) lack of empathy for others (ii) low personal insight (iii) low susceptibility to stress and anxiety, (iv) glib affect and shallow personal relationships (vi) torturing animals as a child.

Nonexistence seems to be right about one thing about me and that is lack of an inner life. I've never felt any strong existential angst or had a midlife crisis. I don't watch movies or TV shows or read fiction and I don't do much gaming anymore. My hobbies are generally physical now. Cocaine, lifting, admiring myself in the mirror while banging hookers etc.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 19, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

GET MONEY posted:

Yep, and that COL would require sharing a bathroom with four people. I did get offered what amounts to a ~20% scholarship, and I have some external funding so I'm modelling close to $150K debt all in. Then interest on top. More if I went back to Canada.

I'm struggling with the EV of a 30% chance of being golden and a 70% chance of being ruined vs my present course of a 100% chance of doing OK but hating everything.

The thing is I'm pretty maxed out in terms of opportunity in this field in my region and there's no promotions in the pipeline. The catch-22 is I'd need a promotion to move somewhere else. And a lateral move just to spice things up would almost certainly be a downgrade in terms of benefits/lifestyle.

I've thought about getting an MBA instead but that seems even worse than going for a law degree.

To my understanding I can get an OPT visa immediately post-grad to ingratiate myself until someone puts me up for the H1B lottery, and I'd be TN eligible until NAFTA disappears. I've heard anecdotally the sponsorship for Canadians in particular isn't a big deal to biglaw if you're suitably qualified.

Exhibit A: lmao (highlited in semibold)

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

mad_Thick posted:

I honestly can't tell when people are being serious or sarcastic in this thread anymore...

I'd love to go to a t14 California school that offers Unlimited on their Yellow Ribbon program, preferably Stanford.

Full ride through law school while getting paid $3000+ a month just to go to school a bad idea?

I’ve posted super drunk about my infidelity in this thread. I don’t joke about money. :jewish:

I mostly used my Post 9/11 for undergrad but had enough days left over for 1L and it meant not having to borrow a single dollar for the year.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
REAL ADVICE:

It literally does not matter what law school you go to. If you want to "practice law", then the experiential difference between "BigLaw" and "working at a law firm" has nothing to do with actually practicing law. You do all the same stuff, just more of it, and with more oversight, and with 14 big ol dicks up your rear end all the time.

If you want to "practice law," thats great, but we're saying you have no idea what you're getting in to. You should absolutely not throw your current life away only to find out in 48 months and $275,000.00 in debt that what you signed up for is not what you paid for. Think of it this way: what percentage chance are you willing to wager 4 years and $275,000.00 on? If its a 95% chance you're right about the life you'll be living, do you pull the trigger? 85% chance? We're telling you that its not what you imagine, so you try to guess - are we wrong? If so, how wrong are we?

Real talk, take your mid life crisis and go intern for a law firm, or work for free at one for 6 months, and find out what its really like. There is no substitute for the experience of a big trial - its 24 hours a day, 7 days a week of the highest stress level you've ever experienced for the weeks leading up to, and all the way through. I say 24 hours because you can't sleep while thinking of poo poo, and you dream about it, and wake up in the middle of the night and write poo poo down, and you wake up early and start packing. Even at a mid-sized law firm, you're not reinventing the wheel every day. I've been practicing 8 years, billing 1800 hours a year, and I've maybe come across a "novel" legal issue twice? Its writing letters and sending emails and copy/pasting blocks of legal text from one motion into another, and its spinning plates all day every day for a bunch of cases.

Don't get me wrong, I like my job, I'm glad I'm where I'm at and I do what I do. But you know what I like about it? I like that people are counting on me and I can help them. I like that things need fixing and I can fix them. I like solving problems and making things work. I like talking to people and I like working with people. I enjoy conflict and I enjoy resolution. And I loving hate losing, hate it hate it hate it.

You know what doesn't make a poo poo to me? "Going to Law School." or where I went or how that changes what I think of myself, or other people. I firmly believe that the happiest people practicing law are the ones who enjoy the results of what they do, not the ones who thought they'd enjoy the fact that they proved to themselves/the world/their high school friends/their step dad that they would do it.

NOT REAL ADVICE:
Go to Law School, take the mantle, become the Two-ona

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 19, 2018

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ohio State might make sense - that he'd get a decent scholarship from a private school like Case Western or Cincinnati who could afford to give that much money to a Canadian who wants to be a wiener and cheer for THE Ohio State at football games as they get knocked out of the playoffs and lose 24-55 to THE University of Iowa

Obligatory where do you fall on the Hawkeyes/corn husker or whatever the rivalry is

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

mad_Thick posted:

Are there any veterans in here that have gone to law school? A handful of the t14 schools offer full rides via the Yellow Ribbon program.

I did, but I was 2/3 done before Post 9/11 GI Bill started and now I’m an indentured servant to SallieMae. AMA

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mad_Thick posted:

Yes. There are six of seven of us here ranging from still in school (kawasaki nun), school and under/unemployed (toona and myself), former JAGs (AR & Joat Mon) and others i’m certainly forgetting. Do not go to law school. Your GI bill will be more productively used anywhere else.

Seriously. You’re going to waste 3 years of your life and free paid school to get a $50k a year job. You are sacrificing a lot for no gain whatsoever. Having a JD on your resume when you apply to non-legal jobs results in people saying “uhhh, we’re not looking for lawyers why are you applying for this?”

What is your goal with your law degree?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mad_Thick posted:

Go look a page or two back at Yuns’ daily schedule. That’s your best and highest paying outcome.

What’s your post school goal? What career do you really want?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

yronic heroism posted:

Fixing this:

(Hashtag Kiddingnotkidding)

I have all of this on lock except I don't snort anything and I love animals

blarzgh posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like my job, I'm glad I'm where I'm at and I do what I do. But you know what I like about it? I like that people are counting on me and I can help them. I like that things need fixing and I can fix them. I like solving problems and making things work. I like talking to people and I like working with people. I enjoy conflict and I enjoy resolution. And I loving hate losing, hate it hate it hate it.

You know what doesn't make a poo poo to me? "Going to Law School." or where I went or how that changes what I think of myself, or other people. I firmly believe that the happiest people practicing law are the ones who enjoy the results of what they do, not the ones who thought they'd enjoy the fact that they proved to themselves/the world/their high school friends/their step dad that they would do it.

I'm genuinely not doing this for the prestige, or the money, or because I want to be like the TV lawyers, or to prove anything to my family. I've had an inkling practicing law would be the best path for me for a long time because I largely like what you described liking above and stuff like

quote:

Its writing letters and sending emails and copy/pasting blocks of legal text from one motion into another, and its spinning plates all day every day for a bunch of cases.

sounds terrific. I fell into my present career from self-employment and it's gotten progressively more bad and boring as I've moved up. Nothing school/corporate life has thrown at me ever seems create enough pressure to challenge me effectively. I'm extremely MBTI suited too for whatever that's worth.

I'd say if there was a 50% chance I'm right I would gamble it..

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

GET MONEY posted:

I'm extremely MBTI suited too for whatever that's worth.

:chanpop:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
GET MONEY I feel like I need to offer some genuine advice here. I started law school married, at 34 years old, great scholarship plus GI bill and with many of the same thoughts and aspirations. I ended up sleeping with a member of my study group, worsened my drinking problem, getting divorced, and now I’m doing doc review because I was too mentally fatigued to study for the bar this summer. Everything about me should be a 60 foot flashing “WARNING” sign to you and everyone else considering law school.

Or, gently caress it, do it anyway. It’s your life.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
IDK I'm on get moneys side here it sounds well thought out, he has a clear idea of the risk vs reward

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

Eh, more than 50% of people who go to UCLA do well. Outside of biglaw and clerkships, they place a respectable number of people in boutiques, midlaw, and government. Overall some 2/3 of their class goes on to experience at least initial career success of some stripe.

UCLA is a great school in a great area. The problem is that it would cost you about a trillion dollars in money you don't have to attend. As a brief reminder, people from Harvard, Berkeley, and even schools like NYU can pop in and take any job you'd want in LA pretty much at will, so the career numbers are largely a function of getting the good-but-not-great jobs that they leave behind.

We'll be here for you when you get no-offered at Orrick like a friend of mine was.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

For what it's worth you can get a TN visa to work in the US as a Canadian and give you time to hope for an H-1B (lol) but bear in mind that is not an immigrant visa so if CBP thinks you are planning to stay in the US long term (like, say, as a partner) then they can yoink it at your crossing and you are fuuuuuucked. Also who knows how long TN will exist so there is always that to look forward to!

H-1Bs are getting even worse to apply for and harder to get, so don't count on that.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Do it do it do it do it

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Why are we encouraging filthy poutine eating immigrants to come here and take away law jobs from honest hardworking Americans who made terrible life choices by going to law school?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

One of the partners I work with at my biglaw job is from Canada. In case you didn't know, partners pull 7 figures on average per year. Associates start at ~$200k. The only question is whether you have the chops and the balls to cut it. If you do, well, get that money, GET MONEY.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes. There are six of seven of us here ranging from still in school (kawasaki nun), school and under/unemployed (toona and myself), former JAGs (AR & Joat Mon) and others i’m certainly forgetting. Do not go to law school. Your GI bill will be more productively used anywhere else.

Seriously. You’re going to waste 3 years of your life and free paid school to get a $50k a year job. You are sacrificing a lot for no gain whatsoever. Having a JD on your resume when you apply to non-legal jobs results in people saying “uhhh, we’re not looking for lawyers why are you applying for this?”

What is your goal with your law degree?

After reading some of Yun's posting, I'm pretty drat sure Law School would be a big waste. Here's my background/story for shits and gigs...

30 years old, USMC veteran with 5 years of service. I finished my undergrad last year, and took about 8 months of job searching/interviewing before landing my first job in corporate America - Internal Auditor at a huge bank. Long story short, I hate my life, I hate these people, I hate my job, the work is meaningless etc.

It was my original intent to either go back into the military as an officer, or work in government to get my pension. I think if I don't go back in the military, then my time and money would be better served getting a Masters and working in government.

Guess I won't have to spend the next 4 months slaving over LSAT prep materials...

I figured my worse case scenario post-graduate Law was to be JAG in the military...But I think it would be better to spend those 3-4 years in military/govt service working towards my pension. I'd love to be able to technically retire at the age of 45/46 on a govt pension.

mad_Thick fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 19, 2018

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I remember GET MONEY's posts from earlier itt when he was saying his reason for leaving Canada for law school was because of the bad weather and because he's a chud who dislikes Canadian politics. :allears:

That being said, :hmbol: at trading a 40-50k CAD total tuition bill from a Canadian law school for a 200k USD bill.

Not to mention the fact that outside Bay Street Big Law, literally no firm in Canada gives a gently caress about where you went to school. My office has:

1 UBC (me)
1 U victoria
1 Thomson rivers U
1 Queen's
1 U New Brunswick
2 Osgoode
2 Dalhousie
1 Western
1 U of Ottawa

But yes, go get yourself a quarter million dollars CAD in debt before even starting articles in Canada with a foreign law degree. :discourse:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

blarzgh posted:

There is no substitute for the experience of a big trial - its 24 hours a day, 7 days a week of the highest stress level you've ever experienced for the weeks leading up to, and all the way through.
Yeah, I am getting a bit of a late career trial bug.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Honestly, I'm not sure if GET MONEY has the mental strength or raw intelligence to cut it in law school. If he displayed sufficient excellence in his posting, then I'd be all for it. But what I'm seeing is a weak-kneed Canadian who won't be able to cut it in a fast, competitive city like LA. He'll probably be run over by the savvier, younger, more muscular, and frankly more attractive Americans, tbh.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hoshi posted:

Obligatory where do you fall on the Hawkeyes/corn husker or whatever the rivalry is

This upset me. Hawkeyes son. Huskers Bugeaters fans are more delusional than GET MONEY.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

gvibes posted:

Yeah, I am getting a bit of a late career trial bug.

Trials are fun but even trials don’t make biglaw worth everything else about it after a while.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

Why are we encouraging filthy poutine eating immigrants to come here and take away law jobs from honest hardworking Americans who made terrible life choices by going to law school?

I'm not American I can do whatever I want because, unlike some people, I live in a free country

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mad_Thick posted:

After reading some of Yun's posting, I'm pretty drat sure Law School would be a big waste. Here's my background/story for shits and gigs...

30 years old, USMC veteran with 5 years of service. I finished my undergrad last year, and took about 8 months of job searching/interviewing before landing my first job in corporate America - Internal Auditor at a huge bank. Long story short, I hate my life, I hate these people, I hate my job, the work is meaningless etc.

It was my original intent to either go back into the military as an officer, or work in government to get my pension. I think if I don't go back in the military, then my time and money would be better served getting a Masters and working in government.

Guess I won't have to spend the next 4 months slaving over LSAT prep materials...

I figured my worse case scenario post-graduate Law was to be JAG in the military...But I think it would be better to spend those 3-4 years in military/govt service working towards my pension. I'd love to be able to technically retire at the age of 45/46 on a govt pension.

A much more prudent route. There are a number of goon vets that have used gi bill for other grad work to lots of success. Poke your head into GiP once in a while.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Tipps posted:

I remember GET MONEY's posts from earlier itt when he was saying his reason for leaving Canada for law school was because of the bad weather and because he's a chud who dislikes Canadian politics. :allears:

That being said, :hmbol: at trading a 40-50k CAD total tuition bill from a Canadian law school for a 200k USD bill.

Not to mention the fact that outside Bay Street Big Law, literally no firm in Canada gives a gently caress about where you went to school. My office has:

1 UBC (me)
1 U victoria
1 Thomson rivers U
1 Queen's
1 U New Brunswick
2 Osgoode
2 Dalhousie
1 Western
1 U of Ottawa

But yes, go get yourself a quarter million dollars CAD in debt before even starting articles in Canada with a foreign law degree. :discourse:

I can't help but notice there's no Manitoba on that list

Vox Nihili posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure if GET MONEY has the mental strength or raw intelligence to cut it in law school. If he displayed sufficient excellence in his posting, then I'd be all for it. But what I'm seeing is a weak-kneed Canadian who won't be able to cut it in a fast, competitive city like LA. He'll probably be run over by the savvier, younger, more muscular, and frankly more attractive Americans, tbh.

Going into crippling debt to own the goons :getin:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Kalman posted:

Trials are fun but even trials don’t make biglaw worth everything else about it after a while.
I am a broken brained person who is apparently big law for life.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

GET MONEY posted:

I can't help but notice there's no Manitoba on that list

There's no McGill on there either, so naturally McGill is a poo poo school too, right? :thunk:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Pook Good Mook posted:

This upset me. Hawkeyes son. Huskers Bugeaters fans are more delusional than GET MONEY.

My MIL lives in Omaha and we stayed in Council Bluffs the last time we visited. I now know what living in a Fallout game would be like. I hope the rest of Iowa is nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

My MIL lives in Omaha and we stayed in Council Bluffs the last time we visited. I now know what living in a Fallout game would be like. I hope the rest of Iowa is nicer.

I saw a sign at a Iowa-Nebraska game that said "Loser gets Council Bluffs"

Council Bluffs is an utter pit. Truthfully, most of Western Iowa is a dump filled with Steve King voting CHUDs. Eastern Iowa is much nicer and more fun.