Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

mekilljoydammit posted:

Just wanted to vent a bit.

Am I the only one tired of companies ghosting me? Like, it's not just me, this is hysterically unprofessional, right?

Had an in-person interview Monday after a series of phone interviews - spent around 2.5-3 hours talking to department managers, senior employees, HR people, etc. I thought it went reasonably well, aside that their management structure is different than my current employer. Ended up with my main HR contact saying he'd contact me Wednesday at 4:30pm as we'd previously discussed how I wanted to try to hold to various hours to avoid cheating my current employer. Sent some thank you followup emails, waited for the call.

Nothing. Sent a polite email about an hour after the scheduled time to the sense of wanting to follow up, excited about the opportunity, etc, said I'd try to call during business hours the next day. Nothing. Called during business hours, left a voicemail to the same sort of thing, nothing. No response from anyone I emailed either. HR guy had previously responded to anything I contacted him about within an hour or two.

Just what the gently caress? This is about the 5th-6th time I've gotten ghosted during this job hunt, and unless I'm completely and totally oblivious every time was after some contact that seemed like it went relatively well, with the person I contacted saying they'd get back to me at a specific time.

So, update!

Monday, HR guy sent an email saying that feedback is good so far and he'll contact me on Wednesday. OK, something must have come up, whatever. Wednesday comes along and... once again no contact. Sent a one sentence email asking if there was another time that would be more convenient Wednesday night, get an email saying that there's a few more candidates who were in the pipeline they wanted to finish interviewing, he'll contact me next Wednesday.

Now, I mean fine, the process takes as long as it takes, but what the hell, stop with the "giving me a time you'll contact and then don't" bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dude your individual job application is not that important to me

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Now, I mean fine, the process takes as long as it takes, but what the hell, stop with the "giving me a time you'll contact and then don't" bullshit.

Not as bad as the game of “please tell us a good date and time to discuss” and you spend ten emails going back and forth as every date you propose is booked. Just tell me a loving day and time, and if it matters enough, I’ll make myself available.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I love you goons. The feedback has strengthened my applications and the community has strengthened my resolve.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Vegetable posted:

Does it still make sense to put your address on your resume? I'm applying for a job that's in the same city as my entire career history.

I got hired at my current job when my resume still had my old address on it, which was over 1000 miles away (we had just moved and hadn't settled on housing in the city). If they asked you whether or not you needed to relocate for the job during the application process, I imagine you're OK to leave it off.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Not having an address is not a deal breaker, but if I think someone needs to relocate for a position where that isn't really something we want to do it might make me skip them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Had a second call today with a certain HR manager today in regards to a position that's opening up at her company next year. While there's obviously no interview yet since the role isn't finalized we both agreed to stay in touch and I'm going to go up and visit their facility in a few weeks (background: the president for this company's US division is an alum of my same school and studied the same degree there, so we've chatted a couple times about our shared alma mater and career interests. He thinks I'd be a good fit for the role). If this call was more of a check-in than an interview and wasn't the first time we spoke, do you think it's still appropriate to send a thank-you email?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

C-Euro posted:

If this call was more of a check-in than an interview and wasn't the first time we spoke, do you think it's still appropriate to send a thank-you email?

Yeah, although I'd write it differently.

More of a thanks for taking the time to keep me posted look forward to interacting more in the future warmly C-Euro etc.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Send something she can put in an Outlook folder named "guy to hire" instead of forgetting about you.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I got a new job but I'm not really liking it. There is a problem employee that no one wants to deal with who seems to just like exploding on me and seems to have a history of his behavior. I've been working there for about 2-3 months. I'm replacing a retiring accountant who leaves at the end of August.

I brought this up with my boss twice. Both times she said that she would do a meeting about it. Both times she did not. On the second time, she asked the following morning " I know she yells and belittles you, but maybe you can just put up with it?"

My plan is to wait until the accountant retires, see if anything changes, if it doesn't, petition my boss again for help, and if she doesn't help, seek out your work, then give my two weeks notice once I get work.

My worry is how this will look on my resume. I worked at a big 4 firm for 9 months. I was then laid off due to downsizing. I then worked in a small firm for six months. I was laid off without explanation the day after busy season. Most people I've talked to you think it was secretly a temporary position.

I feel that if I leave this firm it will look really bad. I'm already pretty miserable and I'm coming into work feeling sick.

What does everyone else have to say about that?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Unfortunately you are correct, it will look bad.

Also there is no point in continuing to ask your boss for help with the rear end in a top hat. She's made it clear that she can't or won't (probably can't; the rear end in a top hat probably feels free to be an rear end in a top hat because he is protected and knows it) and continuing to complain to her about it is only going to annoy her. Also note for future reference that "I'll have a meeting about it soon" is managerspeak for "I don't care about this and am going to ignore it".

Breaking harsh truth to you doesn't make me feel great but it's better for you than telling soothing lies. You probably need to stick it out until you can find another job. Your suspicion that your resume will make this difficult is correct, your job hopping history suggests you either can't discern a job is lovely before you take it, or are so terrible at office politics you find yourself frozen out almost from the day you start a job, or both. You should probably make an effort to get better at playing office politics/encouraging people to like you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't mind one recent job change after a short amount of time. Go beyond that I would start to question it. I don't know your industry to know if the layoffs are common enough that no one would care, but I would definitely note it on the negative (though right now it's really hard to find good people so that alone wouldn't be a deal breaker).

HR recruiters love to strike out candidates for too many jobs in the last couple years though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Would it be better if I stuck it out for a year? That would be doing one busy season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Covok posted:

Would it be better if I stuck it out for a year? That would be doing one busy season.

Yeah, at least. Again, I don't know your industry but given what you described I'd like to see closer to three years before I'd drop my concern. I know that sucks but this is sort of like a bad mark on your credit you need to bear down to get fixed.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Covok posted:

I got a new job but I'm not really liking it. There is a problem employee that no one wants to deal with who seems to just like exploding on me and seems to have a history of his behavior. I've been working there for about 2-3 months. I'm replacing a retiring accountant who leaves at the end of August.

I brought this up with my boss twice. Both times she said that she would do a meeting about it. Both times she did not. On the second time, she asked the following morning " I know she yells and belittles you, but maybe you can just put up with it?"

My plan is to wait until the accountant retires, see if anything changes, if it doesn't, petition my boss again for help, and if she doesn't help, seek out your work, then give my two weeks notice once I get work.

My worry is how this will look on my resume. I worked at a big 4 firm for 9 months. I was then laid off due to downsizing. I then worked in a small firm for six months. I was laid off without explanation the day after busy season. Most people I've talked to you think it was secretly a temporary position.

I feel that if I leave this firm it will look really bad. I'm already pretty miserable and I'm coming into work feeling sick.

What does everyone else have to say about that?

gently caress how it looks. If your job is making you feel sick start the job search.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lockback posted:

Yeah, at least. Again, I don't know your industry but given what you described I'd like to see closer to three years before I'd drop my concern. I know that sucks but this is sort of like a bad mark on your credit you need to bear down to get fixed.
What the heck, three years is overkill. One year and maybe a few more months would be perfectly sufficient.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think most people consider 18-24 months to be an acceptable time in a job before you move on to the next.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He's looking for his 4th job in less than 2 years. As a hiring manager I'd want to see more than a year in a position before I'd consider him a flight risk to hire. Again, it depends a lot on the industry, in mine the training period is usually 3-6 months before you are significantly contributing so I might be more sensitive to flight risks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lockback posted:

He's looking for his 4th job in less than 2 years. As a hiring manager I'd want to see more than a year in a position before I'd consider him a flight risk to hire. Again, it depends a lot on the industry, in mine the training period is usually 3-6 months before you are significantly contributing so I might be more sensitive to flight risks.

I mean, to be fair, I've never voluntarily left a job before.

Also, I'm feeling better anyway. So we'll see what happens. Had a good talk with the family. Really helped out, though I am a little anxious about going to work tomorrow.

As for training time, it's high skill work and I've pretty been exposed to everything at this point. 1040, 1120, 1120S, 1065, 940, 941, NY and NJ sales/payroll, NY state return, NJ state, CA, and a bunch of other stuff. Setup corps, llcs, and converted corps. Responded to IRS letters. Done work for clients as complex as a hedge fund with over 100 partners to as simple as a small business. And I have extensive experience doing bookkeeping for a variety of Corporations and business types. A lot of experience making financial statements and analyzing them. Ran a small business out of my dorm room. Internship experience on a small firm. And I also have Advanced proficiency with Excel, GoRS, ultratax, accounting world, QuickBooks, and a few other softwares. Experience working with clients, doing one-on-one meetings, worked quite a few busy seasons, willing to work 60 to 80 hours during busy season, almost never take vacation days unless they make me. I also have experience working in collections, billing, mailing, and just generally the paperwork related in clients corresponding and actually getting your money. I am CPA eligible and studying for the CPA. And, if it matters, I'm an eagle scout and I have my Master's.

What I'm saying is that, at this point, I got decent experience with most things, broad knowledge, but I'm no master and there is a lot I don't know. But I do know a lot of the basics. A lot of it has less to do with knowledge and more just getting clients used to me.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 22, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, nothing stopping you from looking for a new position anyway, I'm just giving feedback on what a hiring manager may think looking at your resume and why you may be in a bit of an uphill battle. Sounds like you have a good base, and the multiple job thing is certainly fixable.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lockback posted:

I mean, nothing stopping you from looking for a new position anyway, I'm just giving feedback on what a hiring manager may think looking at your resume and why you may be in a bit of an uphill battle. Sounds like you have a good base, and the multiple job thing is certainly fixable.

Well the plan is I'm going to go in and just do my job until at least the end of August and then see what happens. I had a very long talk with my family and I feel a lot better, but I am starting to feel anxious now.

Maybe everything will be just fine. I just hate how this all reminds me of how it felt being bullied in elementary and middle school.

Maybe everything goes well. Maybe she'll quit because she or he doesn't like how we downsized and there's only one bookkeeper. Because I can't get another one and I don't think she wants to work at that level at her age but I can't do anything about that. So maybe she'll just quit. Maybe I just learn to deal with it.

But anyway, thank you. You're being a great help. Of course the plan is not to do anything unless I have another job lined up. I also have the worry that my boss is assistant told me that if the transition doesn't go well and we don't make enough money they might just cut the entire division so I have a lot of reasons to be worried. But you are being a big help by showing me the other perspective.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 22, 2018

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Have you considered treating your waves of anxiety directly? I've seen you mention it in a few posts now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Covok posted:

But anyway, thank you. You're being a great help. Of course the plan is not to do anything unless I have another job lined up. I also have the worry that my boss is assistant told me that if the transition doesn't go well and we don't make enough money they might just cut the entire division so I have a lot of reasons to be worried. But you are being a big help by showing me the other perspective.

I would explicitly put things like "Office laid off" or "Divison Cut" in a resume, no more than a couple words like that though. From a hiring perspective it does help.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lockback posted:

I would explicitly put things like "Office laid off" or "Divison Cut" in a resume, no more than a couple words like that though. From a hiring perspective it does help.

Thanks for the advice. I'll consider it when I next update, if I have to. The fact that the regional manager's assistant let it drop that "cutting everyone" was an option mentioned if things went poorly had me on edge. Especially since my boss let it slip that she's afraid my predecessor is trying to steal over 100k/year worth of clients and she is considering consulting with the CEO over possible court action. Personally, I think she's wrong and was just letting out a bunch of hot air, but, if she isn't, then it could mean that option the assistant mentioned will get explored. And that will suck. It's kind of contributed to me thinking of quiting, though the social anxiety was the main factor.

Good to know it's okay to put things like that on my resume. I kind of already list that 6 month job as a "temporary" position since, apparently, it's not unheard of for scummy places to hire you under the false pretense that its a permanent gig when they always plan to fire you after the first busy season. Since tax accounting is seasonal and its hard to get people with real experience to sign on for temp gigs, apparently some places just lie and gently caress you over. And all signs point to that being what happened to me. Especially after I considered how there were all these former employees who were let go in such a similar fashion to myself.

Unsinkabear posted:

Have you considered treating your waves of anxiety directly? I've seen you mention it in a few posts now.

I really should. But I don't know if I got the money for a therapist. Or medication. I do have health insurance, though.

I really should. I'm kind of embarrassed, though. No one knows I have anxiety problems except the internet.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Covok posted:

I really should. I'm kind of embarrassed, though. No one knows I have anxiety problems except the internet.

You probably know a half-dozen people at least who have gone to a Dr for anxiety, you just have no idea. It's worth it to go, the quality of life increase will be significant and it should be covered.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

It's an investment. There's no such thing as not having enough money for it imo, because not only are there clinics that do sliding scale prices, but not having to cope with that is a huge obstacle to your daily success gone. And over time that WILL help you upgrade your earning power. Advantages and disadvantages tend to compound each other one way or the other, so take care of yourself and push that snowball in the right direction. :glomp:

(I get where you're coming from though, in my case only my wife knows)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Oh God, I have the worst anxiety. Get it treated, you'll be so much happier. Like I'd just start shaking all over and medication fixed it without much in the way of side effects. I couldn't handle my current job without chemistry.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Just clicked to apply for a job, which redirected me to a site that forced me to make an account in order to apply for the job.

After filling out their form to make an account and going to my e-mail to verify the account, I clicked the apply for the job button and it then redirected me to yet another site, which required me to make an account there in order to apply for the job.

After filling out their form to make an account and going to my e-mail to verify the account, I clicked the apply for the job button and it then redirected me to yet another site, which required me to make an account there in order to apply for the job.

Finally, after filling out their form to make an account and going to my e-mail to verify the account, on the third iteration of doing this I was able to apply for the job. After uploading my resume, it asked me to fill in all of the information from my resume into the many form fields on their website page, all of which were required to submit the job application. I gave up.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I made the mistake of looking at my peers LinkedIn.

People who graduated with me are enormously farther in their careers than me.

I doubt I’ll ever get the break I need.

R.I.P.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

Just clicked to apply for a job, which redirected me to a site that forced me to make an account in order to apply for the job.

Finally, after filling out their form to make an account and going to my e-mail to verify the account, on the third iteration of doing this I was able to apply for the job. After uploading my resume, it asked me to fill in all of the information from my resume into the many form fields on their website page, all of which were required to submit the job application. I gave up.

You'd like to think this is a fiendishly clever way of making applicants prove they have a sufficiently high capacity to accept wasting gobs of time on pointless, repetitive drudgery before bothering to interview them, but I fear that gives the various parties who half-assed setting up this system too much credit by far.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

So, "what are your weaknesses" is a really dumb interview question, imo. Interviews are about making yourself look good, but the question is the opposite of that, so there is a temptation to answer "bad thing which is actually good thing" which is both predictable as well as against the spirit of the question.

I never ask it as a hiring manager myself, but what do you all think are good responses to this?

My favorite response was when I was just getting out of college. "My weakness is that I don't have a lot of experience, but since I'm just out of school I'm used to learning and very ready to learn [new job task]."

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

"The chest, really struggling with my bench numbers".

Ive been doing a tangential skill set. Something that would be useful if I knew but wasn't in the job description. In this case I say programming. Then follow up with my efforts to self teach python. I don't know though, I hate that question

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Sean posted:

So, "what are your weaknesses" is a really dumb interview question, imo. Interviews are about making yourself look good, but the question is the opposite of that, so there is a temptation to answer "bad thing which is actually good thing" which is both predictable as well as against the spirit of the question.

I never ask it as a hiring manager myself, but what do you all think are good responses to this?

90% of the time that question is a test to make sure you know what you're expected to say and willing to say it with a straight face. The correct answer, as you probably already know, is "I care too much and work too hard and get really invested in what I'm doing and obsess over details."

I have an acquaintance who swears he has always refused to acknowledge a weakness, instead going with "I don't believe I have a relevant weakness, anytime I discover an area for personal improvement I attack it like a bulldog and learn voraciously." According to him the interviewer will press him upwards of three or four times and he'll just dig in and reword what he already said. He's well into a successful career but he has a fair amount of personal charisma and I suspect that would be a requirement to get away with that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

R.I.P.

Just remember a lot of people who graduated with you don't even have LinkedIn accounts because they are dead, in jail, or don't feel a need to connect professionally with their co-workers at Best Buy. You can't judge yourself too carefully against people who are self-reporting their career accomplishments.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Quick question, I'm probably accepting an offer from a MSP that seems rather chill and not a total factory of sadness. BUT I have a few more interviews lined up and I plan on taking them. Do I bring this up or just let the confidence help boost me? I'm taking them because they're for in house shops which is where I'd much rather be.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nope, don't bring it up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

R.I.P.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Just remember a lot of people who graduated with you don't even have LinkedIn accounts because they are dead, in jail, or don't feel a need to connect professionally with their co-workers at Best Buy. You can't judge yourself too carefully against people who are self-reporting their career accomplishments.

Also, people like me. Where it sounds great on paper ("head accountant of an office of a multinational firm") but really isn't ("1 employee, few benefits, pay and work/life balance is average at best.")

Remember, its a networking site so you only see what either looks good or is made to look good. You don't see the garbage underneath.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Quick question, I'm probably accepting an offer from a MSP that seems rather chill and not a total factory of sadness. BUT I have a few more interviews lined up and I plan on taking them. Do I bring this up or just let the confidence help boost me? I'm taking them because they're for in house shops which is where I'd much rather be.

Don't say you accepted a position, but do say you are doing second and third interviews with places. It'll weed or anyone who isn't interested in hiring soon anyway.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

90% of the time that question is a test to make sure you know what you're expected to say and willing to say it with a straight face. The correct answer, as you probably already know, is "I care too much and work too hard and get really invested in what I'm doing and obsess over details."

I have an acquaintance who swears he has always refused to acknowledge a weakness, instead going with "I don't believe I have a relevant weakness, anytime I discover an area for personal improvement I attack it like a bulldog and learn voraciously." According to him the interviewer will press him upwards of three or four times and he'll just dig in and reword what he already said. He's well into a successful career but he has a fair amount of personal charisma and I suspect that would be a requirement to get away with that.

I think there's some room to find something that is honest and actually a weakness, as long as it's something understandable and fixable, or offset by something else in your background. Most of us will need to come off as an actual human in these things rather than some superhuman working machine.

I've used "I don't like to ask for help with work even when I probably should." Which is true, and is actually negative, but also not terrible. That may work better for a mid-career person than someone just starting out. "This guy kicks rear end but is a little bit of a loner" is different than "this moron is going to screw everything up and not tell anyone."

Also standard advice to always follow up with how being aware of your weakness has helped you learn to take actions to make up for it or fix it. Know your audience, know how your experience looks, have enough self awareness to know if the job is a done deal and you should give bland responses to not screw it up or you're the dark horse candidate and you need to do something to stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lockback posted:

Don't say you accepted a position, but do say you are doing second and third interviews with places. It'll weed or anyone who isn't interested in hiring soon anyway.

Alternatively, it could provoke them to pull the offer and you risk ending up with nothing.

If the offer on the table is acceptable then just accept the job and, if you get a better offer next week, take it. Don't feel guilty. They'd fire you instantly if they thought it profitable or they suddenly need to give your position to the COO's niece-in-law.

IMO.