Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ya'll are kinda making me feel bad for a wasp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

LifeSunDeath posted:

drat my dog was rolling in something yesterday and it kept moving and she kept rerolling over it. Turned out she got pretty drat lucky:

Red Velvet Ant (it's a wasp). Thing was super pretty and have never seen one before yesterday, but turns out they can wreck your poo poo

I've been reading all the responses and was like "glad that thing lives in Australia or whatever lol"

Imagine my concern when I looked it up and discovered they're basically all over the eastern United States. gently caress.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

Wow kids really seem to hate this one specific wasp

you've really only got to be bitten/stung once by some kind of insect to hate them deeply

bees get a pass because they are vital to the ecosystem. but gently caress wasps, fire ants etc. forever

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

luxury handset posted:

you've really only got to be bitten/stung once by some kind of insect to hate them deeply

bees get a pass because they are vital to the ecosystem. but gently caress wasps, fire ants etc. forever

I'm kinda glad I was too young to remember when I toddled my way into a fire ant nest.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You want horror stories? Ask me about slip and slides in Florida. Between the saw grass that grows instead of regular grass and the almost guaranteed fire ant hill you'll roll through at the end, slip and slides where the Russian Roulette of summer activities for Florida kids.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

You want horror stories? Ask me about slip and slides in Florida. Between the saw grass that grows instead of regular grass and the almost guaranteed fire ant hill you'll roll through at the end, slip and slides where the Russian Roulette of summer activities for Florida kids.

:lol: florida

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm kinda glad I was too young to remember when I toddled my way into a fire ant nest.

I've never been stung by anything myself, but I was just old enough to remember the time my older sister walked into a hornet nest and the screaming she did after it. It made me scared of bees and everything forever. I'm starting to come around on bees, because they're not really that aggressive and have an important role in the ecosystem, and I think cartoon representations of bees are cute. I still freak out when I see them, though. This last page has made me very nervous.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Solice Kirsk posted:

character building :catbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bees are cute and slow (especially bumblebees :3:) and just want some sugar water or nectar or whatever.

Wasps are fast darty assholes who want your food and will basically try and steal it out of your mouth, and then sting you if you resist.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

KozmoNaut posted:

Bees are cute and slow (especially bumblebees :3:) and just want some sugar water or nectar or whatever.

Wasps are fast darty assholes who want your food and will basically try and steal it out of your mouth, and then sting you if you resist.

I got stung on the lip by a wasp trying to drink my Coke when I was a teenager. The pain was like being jabbed with a red hot needle and my lips swelled up like a balloon and stayed that way long after the pain subsided.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I got bit by a bullet ant when I was in Belize and it fuckin winded me it hurt so much. They called them army ants there but it was definitely a billion times worse than a yellow jacket.

It takes a few moments to set in too. I was like "oh hey, that wasn't so bad. .... Wait...... WAIT. OH GOD. I CAN'T BREATHE. FUUUUUUUUUCK"

The area stayed mildly sore for days after the sever pain stopped.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sneakyfrog posted:

character building :catbert:

I'd reroll

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Yeah, I'm in Orlando and "outdoor activities" consists of exactly two things:
1) Walking around outside in theme parks
2) Swimming in the apartment complex pool

Anything else might as well be wandering around naked in a jungle. Something will bite / sting / kill you within minutes. Lots of friendly little lizard dudes any time you walk outside, though :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

neeeerrrrd.

sup fellow Orlando goon

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Brewmaster posted:

I've been reading all the responses and was like "glad that thing lives in Australia or whatever lol"

Imagine my concern when I looked it up and discovered they're basically all over the eastern United States. gently caress.

I see them in North Eastern Arkansas occasionally.

And they may be a wingless wasp, but they just scurry around minding their own business. Don't gently caress with em, and you wont have problems.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

sneakyfrog posted:

sup fellow Orlando goon

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

Johnny Aztec posted:

they just scurry around minding their own business. Don't gently caress with em, and you wont have problems.

This runs counter to literally everything I've experienced with wasps. They are hell bugs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Aleph Null posted:

I got stung on the lip by a wasp trying to drink my Coke when I was a teenager. The pain was like being jabbed with a red hot needle and my lips swelled up like a balloon and stayed that way long after the pain subsided.

When someone mentioned the giant centipede earlier, I looked it up to see just how giant it was. I saw it mention that one recently recorded death from one of their bites was when one was hiding in a child's open soda can, and while I was relieved that it was still small enough to fit in a soda can, I basically stopped reading about bugs for the day then and there.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Probably the course he just failed.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

lol if that poo poo didn't make you stronger

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Probably the course he just failed.

oh my god who bought my dad an sa account.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

sandoz posted:

this is the most deeply hosed u0p thing i have ever read in my entire life

CLEARLY flo-rida is the one wearing the baggy sweatpants and the reeboks with the strap

gently caress

A second shawty has hit the floor.
https://twitter.com/TPAIN/status/978646487956631552?s=09

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

oh my god who bought my dad an sa account.

Yo mama.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I guarantee you, nobody has explored the day-to-day details of centaurs as much as the author of A Centaur's Life

This looks really cute and endearing, and some thing I might enjoy. Is there creepy pedo poo poo in it? I don't want to spend money if there's going to be soft core, implied hosed up poo poo in it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

value-brand cereal posted:

This looks really cute and endearing, and some thing I might enjoy. Is there creepy pedo poo poo in it? I don't want to spend money if there's going to be soft core, implied hosed up poo poo in it.

it's anime, so of course there is

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The rest of the interview will be Centaur questions.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's about some teens and their families, and how society has adapted to having multiple human races with pretty different body types. So it does touch on, like, the fact that centaurs need bigger restroom stalls.it actually does have some implied hosed up poo poo, because there's references to re-education camps for racists. At one point the Centaur suggests a tired friend could ride her and the friend is like, "no loving way, that's illegal, if they see that they'll send me away!" because there's a hosed up history of centaur slavery in some countries. But there's no, like, soft core sex stuff going on.

I'd actually recommend the anime, it's pretty good, maybe slightly better than the manga.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

I only skimmed it a few years ago, but the big issue I remember it is that substantial undertones of 'man people are really oversensitive about racism, aren't they???'

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

T-Pain is a cool guy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

The rest of the interview will be Centaur questions.

It must really suck to lose the dice roll and be a centaur.
Like, you ruin a perfectly fine human body, by sticking it on a HORSE of all things.

Spoiler alert! Horses are really lovely animals.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

Like, you ruin a perfectly fine human body, by sticking it on a HORSE of all things.

gently caress you! :horse: *breaks one bone* *dies*

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

the thing about wasps is they'll kill other rear end in a top hat bugs, so they're sort of an "enemy-of-my-enemy". i vastly prefer spiders for that since they aren't nearly as huge assholes about it but what are ya gonna do. that's nature

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Johnny Aztec posted:

In the myths they're mostly drunken rapists. Checks out.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Centaurs were born after Zeus hosed a cloud, right

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Brute Squad posted:

T-Pain is a cool guy.

Being a millionaire in ringtone-money apparently does that to you.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah but I get a big dick though.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

IamnotJoe posted:

Yeah but I get a big dick though.

That you can't clean, gets all sort of crud/smegma up in it, and horse dick cancer is an actual thing!

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.
Yeah but it's huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Geez. That cancer line just reminded me about a recent death in my family.

My mother's sister succumbed to skin cancer earlier this year. She had a series of small moles on her shoulder that she never got looked at until it was too late. It was a real bummer.

My poor aunt, thought it was freckles and died.