Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

FFXII really isn't difficult enough for any of this to matter

While this is true, it can be fun to come up with effective job combos, and sometimes the more important question is "will this job combo increase my fun?"

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think Basch (Bushi/Knight) is the only one I'm not gonna have 'conflicts' with; for the rest I'll probably have to pick something to focus on:

Vaan: Shikari/Foebreaker
Balthier: Uhlan/Time Battlemage
Fran: White Mage/Machinist
Basch: Knight/Samurai
Ashe: Black Mage/Monk
Penelo: Archer/Red Battlemage

I'll probably have to do a bit of reading at some point since a lot of jobs have more going for them than it seems by their name/weapons and some combinations have some dumb powerful options that are not super obvious: I was thinking about keeping Vaan with light armour and daggers/katanas for tanking with evasion, but apparently you want heavy armour on him for the Genji gear?

Good thing is that barring the jobs themselves (and quickenings/espers but I have a good idea of what to do with those :v: ), I can just grind LP for a bit and unlock whatever current-tier gear I'm using, so it's not a gigantic commitment.

This is basically the job combo set that I used, just on different characters and with Machinist and White Mage flipped (I had Balthier as a Shikari/White Mage tank and Fran as a Machinist/Foebreaker).

Ultimately, gear-wise, most of those combos don't have any hard decisions to make. Here's what I mean:

- Vaan: Light or heavy armor doesn't matter for evasion. It's just a question of whether you want to boost max HP (light armor), or defense and strength (heavy armor). Hang onto the Main Gauche dagger when you get it and use a shield and he'll be untouchable as a tank. Genji Gear is extremely late-game and has its own separate license that isn't one of the Heavy Armor licenses. Basically I'd say wear whatever you want when you're tanking (Main Gauche is pretty weak as an actual weapon so his damage isn't really in question) and wear heavy armor when you want to deal lots of damage (and the Genji Glove when you get it).
- Balthier: Time magic doesn't really need much in the way of magic power, so stick with heavy armor and use the time magic for support. Extra magic power can help stick debuffs like Slow and Stop but that's it.
- Fran: Gun damage isn't affected by stats at all, so wear mystic armor for more magic power and MP and you'll be just as effective with guns as if you wore anything else.
- Basch: Strength boosts damage with any kind of weapon he can use (and even though katanas do use magic, they use strength significantly more), so stick with heavy armor. In the later parts of the game he'll have strong white magic thanks to Knight, but you probably aren't going to need to gear for that--the Magick Lores that Bushi (Samurai) gets are plenty to make him a good healer.
- Ashe: Caster gear all the way. Black Mage is unreasonably strong.
- Penelo: I'd recommend caster gear here, too. Bows are fine but they're nothing compared to offensive magic, and she won't be able to wear heavy armor to boost her bow damage until late in the game anyway (by which point she should probably be using the Burning Bow for +50% fire damage and spamming Ardor).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Andrast posted:

Oh, I know. I just enjoy it.

Harrow posted:

Party Wisdom
Ah, awesome. I wasn't sure how to go with Penelo (been using her with a bow since I landed a 50ATK bow and she's tearing poo poo up with it) but caster gear looks about right, and I forgot about guns not scaling so I'm definitely gonna slap one on Fran soon; for some reason I love the idea of having a healer with a loving gun.

Thanks again!

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 19, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Andrast posted:

I bet you don't even know the characters' attack animation timings per weapon down to milliseconds.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The best part of the attack animation thing is that the difference between characters' attack animations can be surprisingly large, and also that difference is still functionally meaningless. Even if the game was hard enough for the difference to be worth considering, the number of times you're going to be able to just stand there whacking a stationary enemy with a weapon with no interruptions and without needing to stop and do something else are extremely few and far between.

Here's a video that shows off each character's combo attack animations (using the PS2 Zodiac Job System version, but things are the same in Zodiac Age). One of the most noticeable differences is between Basch and Ashe's katana animations (she is a lot slower) but again, it really, really doesn't matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJn96BXo8Y

That said the real reason I like this video is because you get to see what every character's attack animations look like for every weapon, and some of them are pretty funny or insanely cool. Ashe, for example, looks awesome with daggers and Balthier's pole animations are amusingly awkward.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 19, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I went with class combinations that felt lore-appropriate. It reminded me of discussions I’d have with friends back in high school, about which Dungeons and Dragons class each Lord of the Rings character would be

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Legolas would be an archer, just IMO sorry if that's controversial

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I went with class combinations that felt lore-appropriate. It reminded me of discussions I’d have with friends back in high school, about which Dungeons and Dragons class each Lord of the Rings character would be

I went with job combinations that I thought were really fitting, but I also tried not to go with the super-obvious (like Vaan = Shikari, Penelo = White Mage). So I probably put too much thought into it, and I ended up going with something extremely obvious for Basch anyway:
  • Vaan - Archer/Red Battlemage. Bows fit him, I think--he's a spry kid who wants to fight but probably hasn't known real combat and wouldn't be at home in heavy armor. He also has a lot of potential, so much so that even Fran and Balthier acknowledge it, and learning a variety of magick seems like something he'd want to do as he adventures with people he looks up to.
    Balthier - Shikari/White Mage. The Shikari is a duelist and a thief, and that fits Balthier just fine. He also (backstory spoiler) trained as a Judge, so he very likely knows magick, and white magick that allows him to lead and empower his allies befits the leading man, wouldn't you say? Yes, he starts with a gun, but is that who he really is?
    Fran - Machinist/Foebreaker. Yes, Red Battlemage and Archer are both the archetypal viera jobs, but Fran isn't exactly an archetypal viera. In fact, she worries that her connection to the forest, her magickal connection to her home and her people, has faded, so putting her in a job combination with limited magick seems appropriate. As for the jobs themselves, she's clearly capable with machines, and that time we see her go totally berserk suggests she'd wreck faces with an axe no problem.
    Basch - Bushi/Knight. Consumed with honor, sworn to the service of Dalmasca. He may start as a cast-off, a warrior without a master with just a blade and his rags (y'know, mystic armor :v:), but he's a Knight in his heart and you can't keep that down for long.
    Ashe - Black Mage/Monk. Admittedly, Monk is a bit of a stretch--there's nothing monastic about Ashe. But it does provide her with loads of HP, which fits her strong will. As for Black Mage? What better tool for someone who would burn the Empire to cinders than black magick?
    Penelo - Uhlan/Time Battlemage. Penelo's made of sturdier stuff than Vaan, but I can't see her being excited about jumping into the melee and bloodshed. The spear and heavy armor the Uhlan uses lets her fight alongside her friends, but keep some distance, too. Meanwhile, time magick is complex and hard to master. Even though Penelo must certainly be self-taught, she starts with some magick spells she already knows--the kid's got some serious aptitude.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 19, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

are you talking to me?

no, my brain also automatically inserts the word bort into sentences

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man I hate waking up feeling worse than I when went to bed. :smith:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbuGWgYLqWk

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Wait a minute. I bought some games over the summer sale and I seem to be playing only one of them eternally.

How did this happen? Why did this happen? MY BACKLOG IS UP TO 50 GAMES :negative:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Legolas would be an archer, just IMO sorry if that's controversial

What really bothered me about Legolas in the movie is that in the book he is a elf redneck. I would rather have seen that in the films because it would be funny to me. Instead Gimli is the comic relief for no reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saint Freak posted:

I bet you don't even know the characters' attack animation timings per weapon down to milliseconds.

I made Balthier a Machinist and I don't even care. Because FF12 sucks.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Harrow posted:

befits the leading man, wouldn't you say?

I 100% read this in Balthier's voice.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Heartcatch posted:

Wait a minute. I bought some games over the summer sale and I seem to be playing only one of them eternally.

Which one?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Heartcatch posted:

How did this happen? Why did this happen? MY BACKLOG IS UP TO 50 GAMES :negative:

I've not played anything except Oblivion for over a month now :negative:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
How do I get in the money laundering guild, is there an online form somewhere

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1019940456115863557

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Heartcatch posted:

Only 50? How quaint.

I have unfortunately fallen back into the hearthstone cycle with the new set announcement.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Chill out and forget about your backlog, if you're enjoying a game don't rush it :)

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've set a deadline for myself, anything in my backlog by the end of the year gets cut and I'm gonna start fresh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's almost a year to the day since Splatoon 2 came out and I still play it almost every day...like what you like and play what you like, don't sweat the small stuff

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Convex posted:

Chill out and forget about your backlog, if you're enjoying a game don't rush it :)

I'll forget about my backlog when I'm dead

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

About the only game I played consistently every day was Super Mario Maker and the only reason I stopped was because everyone else did.

Port it to Switch you cowards!

(i will never get that hopping fly costume goddamn gently caress the hard version of the fly swatter minigame)

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Someone bring out the "Who has Ryu from Street Fighter fought?" chart we gotta update it again.

https://twitter.com/PowerRangersNOW/status/1019993999279415296

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

that looks very unsatisfying to play

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
buying postal 2 is maybe the greatest regret i've held throughout my life and it probably will continue to be into the future

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

It's a mobile game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Colonel posted:

buying postal 2 is maybe the greatest regret i've held throughout my life and it probably will continue to be into the future

it's a nice reminder that lovely edgelords are nothing new at least

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Cook, Serve, Delicious 2. :downs:

chumbler posted:

Only 50? How quaint.

I have unfortunately fallen back into the hearthstone cycle with the new set announcement.

Well, technically far more, but that's a separate category of, "Well, I would play these but it'll never happen".

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

It's a cooldown-based and FG shaped PvP mobile game, so yeah

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Democracy dies in darkness," am I right
https://twitter.com/ktbenner/status/1019283372063981570

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

washington post said crao

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/983803487510081536

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've never watched/listened to the Go Off Kings are they any good?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I got Japanese Taiko no Tatsujin on switch because I'm weak and couldn't wait for the Asian English version.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I've never watched/listened to the Go Off Kings are they any good?

i think jesse is probably the funniest person around right now, tied with his yks podcast cohost mike hale. stefan would be third though. also rob is there but he doesn't do much

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Heartcatch posted:

Ahaha. 50 games. You are like a child. Like a little baby.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Ahaha. 50 games. You are like a child. Like a little baby.

This is a compliment. The longer my lifespan the more games I can not play.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

and that's because I quit buying random garbage

To be fair, at least half of that is random garbage that I'll play at most a couple of hours before shelving, but first I must play those couple of hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don’t even have concept of a backlog anymore.

I just play what I want and don’t care if I have games in my library that I haven’t played.

• Locked thread