Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

He said it's the 'DragonLock newsletter freebie skeleton STL'. Some oldschool dungeons and dragons thing probably. I'm asking him for more details on what he did between printing and painting the minis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sagebrush posted:

Note that the quality you get from a 3D printer is as dependent on the model as on the printer itself.

Indeed, that skeleton is specifically designed for easy FDM printing. If you try to just print random character models off the internet, things get more difficult.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Is the latest slic3r build gone wonky for any one else?

It seems to wait a half second before doing it's retraction, then retracting.

Like it should go
Perimeter
Retract
Z-hop
Deretract
Perimeter

But what it is doing is
Perimeter
Wait and spoot out the backpressure
Retract for no reason
Z-hop
Move
Deretract
Perimeter

I really like slic3r but it is currently unusable for a Bowden system. I can't speak for direct drive.

I was testing cubes from 0 to 9mm retraction and they were pretty much identical, with 9mm retraction being unprintable after a couple layers still with blobbing none the less

Edit:

Jestery fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 18, 2018

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I mean, "0.04" looks exactly like what "0.16" would look like if you had a steady hand, dremel tool with the right abrasive/polishing tips and paint.

What kind of dremel tips are right for the job? Every time I use my rotary, it just eats up the print.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

First print off the new Prusa! Is this looking like it’s calibrated alright? I guess a benchy is next

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Revol posted:

What kind of dremel tips are right for the job? Every time I use my rotary, it just eats up the print.

diamond tip, flex shaft and a foot pedal.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Seeing as I’m working on calibrating my machine for mini prints, I’ll see if I can get skeleton quality this weekend with the stock head/nozzle before I rewire everything for my dual 5015 v6 head. Cura settings will likely be .05 height, .15 initial layer, and decently high infill/low speed. Seeing as it’s a moderately stock Ender 3, that might answer some questions.

Meanwhile, been getting parts printed. Seeing a tiny amount of lift on one side, but nothing that’s hurt my parts thus far, and it’s been fun watching as I print parts to let me print better parts. Already did my heavy-duty mounting head and a new cover to hold the TL smoothers/keep the fan safe, got a filament guide on the printer, and planning a wire holder to separate the bowden from the z-axis arm.

I should probably print a Benchy at some point.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ravendas posted:

He just said it's his first printer, that it wasn't hard to set up, then showed off this pic:

Saying it's from the ~$250 Creality Ender-3.

He didn't mention what he modded or how long he's been at it, but if I could get that kind of quality for $250 without a ton of work, I might be interested.

Edit: I am following up with more questions for him. Others in the thread started asking tons of questions about his prints too, so we'll see.

I asked the guy more about this print. Here's what he says:

quote:

That particular model required no supports at all, which is one reason why I chose it for a comparison test. Those are as they came, straight off the printer (apart from the paint, of course). Cleanup varies enormously from model to model; in general, the more dynamic the pose, the more supports will be needed and the greater the amount of post-processing.

It's true that 3d printers aren't yet plug-&-play machines, but I've been pretty lucky so far with mine and haven't had to do much tinkering with it at all. I haven't added any upgrades to it except for a glass print bed and a filament guide.

So a basically unmodified $250 printer is making that print on the left with zero post processing. Huh.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Got a .6mm nozzle installed on the MK3, man that was a pain in the rear end. Not doing that again!

But man this thing can pump out the plastic. Waiting on the first successfully stuck print to finish up (see: pain in the rear end recalibrating) to check out the results.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ravendas posted:

So a basically unmodified $250 printer is making that print on the left with zero post processing. Huh.

If you don't have the painting skills of that guy, prepare to be disappointed

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
And now it appears plastic is leaking around the nozzle, gently caress my life. :doh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Every time you install a new nozzle, you need to heat it up to a higher temperature than you expect to ever use in printing (my hottest filament prints at 260 so I use 290 for this procedure) and tighten everything down while it's hot. If you only screw it in when the nozzle is cold, the thermal expansion in operation will loosen everything up and cause it to leak. Tightening it at a higher temperature allows it to contract and seal everything off.

Just get a pair of wrenches and oven mitts and go for it. Ideally go for the highest temperature your nozzle is capable of hitting.

This is part of why I just swap out the entire hotend, btw.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Yeah I went back to the .4mm nozzle and heated it up to ABS temps, which I don't go anywhere near. Hopefully it's fine now, will worry about it later.

edit: cranked that fucker up to 285 degrees and tightened the .4 down, we'll see if it leaks.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 19, 2018

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Parts Kit posted:

And now it appears plastic is leaking around the nozzle, gently caress my life. :doh:

Did you swap the nozzle while it was hot?

e: nvmnd

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Sagebrush posted:

This is part of why I just swap out the entire hotend, btw.
While I'm thinking about it, how do you get the thermistor and heater out of the hotend?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Parts Kit posted:

While I'm thinking about it, how do you get the thermistor and heater out of the hotend?

Have connectors for those items and have each hotend have their own.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

You don't. I use E3D hotends and I swap everything from the groovemount down -- the cold zone/heat sink, heater block, nozzle, cartridge, and thermistor. Fan stays where it is because you can just pop that off. I put a 4-pin connector on the heater and thermistor lines with about 4" of wire, and unplug it there when swapping the unit out. As long as all your hotends use the same model of thermistor, changing between them doesn't matter.

It does take some initial setup, but if you're regularly swapping back and forth (I have 0.25mm/0.4mm/1mm volcano units, and also a 3mm 0.4 that I used for a while when converting between filament diameters) it's invaluable.

I looked for a picture just now but couldn't find one.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Parts Kit posted:

Can't really comment on if it's worth the wait for the powdercoat sheet, but your plan of smooth first and get the powerdercoated later is what I went with. So far it's been fantastic with the smooth surface, a massive step up from the Monoprice Mini.

The wait time is a bit of a bitch but it's worth it.

EngineerJoe posted:

I have the Mini and ordered the MK3 in April, it arrived 2 Fridays ago with the powder coated sheet... wait for the sheet, it's amazing and the lead time isn't that long any more. (7 weeks according to the website)

Thanks for the replies. I'm not in a rush to get it anytime soon so I might just wait for the powder coated sheet.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Update on my benchy with burn marks:

Went to teardown my hotend cause I wanted to replace the nozzle and saw filament was leaking out of the top and the bottom:

Cleaned out the threads by heating the hotend and running a thread chaser through it. I then reassembled while taking care to leave no gap between the heatbreak and nozzle by threading the nozzle all the way in, then backing it out a whole turn. Next I threaded the heatbreak in until it was seated against the nozzle, then backed it out less than a turn to orient it correctly when mounted on the printer. Turned up the hotend to 250 degrees and tightened everything down while it was hot.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think this benchy is looking pretty good now!

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Speaking of leaking nozzles, has any hotend mfgr tried using compression style fittings with a tapered cone to create the seal? Seems like that would make more sense than trying to seal bare threads.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

If you don't have the painting skills of that guy, prepare to be disappointed

Same with my 0.6mm nozzle and 0.08mm layer height. Smoothieware is a bit of a pain in that if Slic3r tries to change acceleration or cooling fan speed, it has to flush the whole planner queue and wait for it to be idle before accepting that line of GCode. Every time that happens there's a teeny pause where it leaks out some plastic. I tried forcing 100% fan speed and one acceleration but I still got a ton of blobbies. I didn't make a ton of progress going from the first one printed (left) to the last (right).

Also, 28mm be small, yo. Even at the finest 0.6mm extrusion width I couldn't get small enough for it to print his gun barrel. Rodian Rebel Trooper by dutchmogul

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

peepsalot posted:

Speaking of leaking nozzles, has any hotend mfgr tried using compression style fittings with a tapered cone to create the seal? Seems like that would make more sense than trying to seal bare threads.

It's probably actually cheaper to have threaded nozzles manufactured than tapered fit nozzles for that kind of mechanism.

That said, it's an interesting question. I don't know that you'd be that far away from a regular collet-style mounting system if you go to that point though, and you'd still have the same issue with having to assemble it hot and get it tightened down properly to prevent leaks (and you'd have to have proper tools for tightening as opposed to most people just using pliers or the odd "nozzle wrench"). Then you have the whole issue with heat-transmission/cooling to prevent massive heat-creep through the hotend.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Printrbot has peaced out, can't say I blame them. Knowing when to pull the plug is tough.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mister Sinewave posted:

Printrbot has peaced out, can't say I blame them. Knowing when to pull the plug is tough.

I'm not surprised. They kept starting and leaving development projects half-finished and wasting a ton of money on development of poo poo they never sold. Or if they did sell, they sold it super cheap and then never followed through (Adopt-A-Bot campaign, for example).

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Any suggestions on how to start designing stuff that will eventually be printed? I have some stuff that I feel should be designed, but I have no idea what tools, options, or basics are even out there for doing modeling. It’s like, I’m really getting the hang of troubleshooting and tuning my printer, set up some good basic habits, but just printing stuff other people have made seems like a limiting step.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hedningen posted:

Any suggestions on how to start designing stuff that will eventually be printed? I have some stuff that I feel should be designed, but I have no idea what tools, options, or basics are even out there for doing modeling. It’s like, I’m really getting the hang of troubleshooting and tuning my printer, set up some good basic habits, but just printing stuff other people have made seems like a limiting step.

I picked up enough cad to do rudimentary parts by watching Tom screw around with onshape (and some limited previous solidworks experience)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFbd7F7HggA

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
OnShape is a good free tool if you have previous parametric modeling experience. Parametric modeling is best because if you have a rough idea of what you want the part to do (and what variables you’ll likely change) you can set it up so that you modify one number and the entire model will adjust itself. Like if you designed a shoebox model you can have the variable &shoe_size drive the dimensions of the box rather than tweaking height, width, and depth individually.

Start with a problem you’re trying to solve and then think up lots of ways to solve it. More broadly, with product design you want to think

• what does it need to do?
  • how will it do it?
  • what are my constraints? (Cost, size, material, strength/load, temp, fitment, movement)

From there you start with the things you absolutely need for the part to do it’s job (bearing surfaces, connection points), then fill in the material that let those do their job (connecting material, supports) and keep doing that until the part works. This should be how you approach modeling too, so that the most important features are early in your design tree and they can drive the supplemental features, instead of vice versa.

The other key to having good ideas is to first have a lot of ideas. Start with your problem and come up with ten ideas on how to solve it and write them down or sketch them. These will probably be pretty easy. Then think up twenty more - don’t worry if some are impractical or unworkable or garbage, you just want as many ideas as possible. Somewhere around the 50th idea you will start getting some really awesome solutions, and regardless you will have a broad population of ideas to sample the best pieces into a gray whole.

If you want more specifics on modeling strategy specifically I can go into that too.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Also check out Autodesk Fusion 360. It is available for free to all hobbyists, despite what their homepage may have you believe.

There is also Tinkercad, which is "Babby's First CAD Program", but IMO you should just jump straight into Fusion 360 or Onshape.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
From what I understand most of the programs mentioned are for creating functional pieces right? I've seen Blender for 3D modeling and Sculptris for organic sculpting as free software recommendations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Fusion 360 has a sculpting environment. I've used it a bit, to copy a golf club head for a client. It was pretty easy to use, but haven't used blender or any of the other more freeform tools so I can't tell if it's good or not.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Here a picture of my printer issues

Slic3r ( :sadwave:) and CURA

Just odd that slic3r just stopped working, I've tried a fresh install of the latest slic3r Dev build and the problem is slightly better. But still blobby at

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Have connectors for those items and have each hotend have their own.

Sagebrush posted:

You don't. I use E3D hotends and I swap everything from the groovemount down -- [etc.]
Thanks to you both, that's what I was afraid of. Not really willing to mod the printer that way, doubly so after last nights suckfest.

But the plus side is it seems like everything is back to normal now that I've put the .4mm nozzle in and recalibrated. Only the slightest elephant foot on a calibration cube print.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Jestery posted:

Here a picture of my printer issues

Slic3r ( :sadwave:) and CURA

Just odd that slic3r just stopped working, I've tried a fresh install of the latest slic3r Dev build and the problem is slightly better. But still blobby at
Have you tried Slic3r Prusa Edition?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

peepsalot posted:

Have you tried Slic3r Prusa Edition?

That was slic3r PE

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

FWIW I'm using Slic3r PE v1.40.0+win64 and my 2mm retraction works fine. I'm using direct drive though.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

yergacheffe posted:

FWIW I'm using Slic3r PE v1.40.0+win64 and my 2mm retraction works fine. I'm using direct drive though.

Yeah that's the thing, it seems like it exports the commands in the wrong order, like the amount of retraction really makes no observable difference.

I'm just going to get a working cura profile and then dick around with slic3r

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

All of a sudden PLA won't stick properly to either the Mk2 or Mk3 heated beds. The PLA is curling off of the bed wherever a line ends. I'm printing at the temperatures and settings I normally use with the same filament. I thought the Z adjust might have been wrong but if I move it closer to make it stay stuck it's obviously too close when it does infill and it gets those stuck up wavy lines that you get if you're over extruding or too close to the bed.

I've cleaned the beds with Iso and it's not made that much of a difference.

I seriously cannot work out what the gently caress is up with them. Could it be the weather? England is currently having a bit of a heatwave, I don't feel like it'd make much difference but you never know with these things.

edit: image

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 20, 2018

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It could also just be lovely filament.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

It could also just be lovely filament.

I'd have thought that but we've easily gone through over 10Kg of this filament, not exactly without issues (white filament is so annoying) but definitely not these issues. Same issues off of different reels as well so I don't think it's the current filament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Any chance the filament has absorbed some humidity or came to you "wet"?