Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

multijoe posted:

The Demon Prince sends his regards

Dark damage is fine against him. Fire damage on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
No he’s resistant to dark too, and magic. He’s not especially lightning resistant so of course the best lightning spell is gated behind him.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
DS1 chat - Blighttown loving suuuuucccks

Seriously God drat this area is awful

Laminator fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 15, 2018

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

skasion posted:

No he’s resistant to dark too, and magic. He’s not especially lightning resistant so of course the best lightning spell is gated behind him.

from what i could tell he was weak to dark damage. it seems nobody agrees on what its weaknesses are.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Laminator posted:

DS1 chat - Blighttown loving suuuuucccks

Seriously God drat this area is awful
Blighttown is cool and way better then any DaS3 area. :colbert:
That is, unless you're playing the original DaS1 on the console. In which case, I have nothing but sympathy for your framerate problems. Also there's an active DaS1 thread over here.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I think some guy made a completely unnecessary 10 min video explaining this, but for what the game is trying to do tonally after you beat the gargoyles (make you feel good, then check your ego, then give you an area after a boss that further demoralizes you and encourages you to turn back), blighttown is sort of a possibly unintentional masterpiece?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't really think blighttown is demoralizing, I think it's a good area with a creepy oppressive tone and really flavorful NPCs

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The best, and by best I mean worst, thing about Blighttown was the first time I finished it, having stumbled down the rickety ladders, crawled through the poisonous swamp, been shot full of toxic crap by those blowdarters, had my head bitten off by those fishmen things, been crushed by those ogres with the boulders, I finally managed to kill Quelaag and triumphantly ring the second bell of awakening. I stood looking at the Demon Ruins taking in that moment of victorious conquest and thought 'So how the gently caress do I get out of here?!'

I ended up having to go back the way I came :suicide:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Blighttown is demoralizing, but that's only half of the equation. Its ultimate payoff is when, after potentially hours being stuck in a godforsaken swamp, you go up the elevator and see the literal light at the end of the tunnel, and gradually realize you're coming straight up to Firelink Shrine through the back door. That's the kind of payoff that the subsequent games gave up by being fully warpable. Those games are consumed in bonfire-to-bonfire chunks, so the next bonfire is always the most important goal. It's not just a checkpoint or respawn point, you're actually unlocking the next chunk of the game and moving on from the previous one. There might as well be a "Level Complete" screen every time you touch a bonfire in Dark Souls 3. Dark Souls 1 bonfires don't have the same connotation of progress, just respite. I particularly like the fact that a bonfire is a home base where you can do everything you need to (level up, reinforce weapons, repair) and Firelink is more of a conceptual hub than a literal one. It makes warping feel less necessary, as any bonfire can be home.

Not to poo poo on Dark Souls 3 or anything, I just finished a playthrough tonight and quite enjoyed it, but the core gameplay cycle is much different from Dark Souls 1. Actually it has a lot more in common with Demon's Souls, which I guess was intentional given all the direct homages, Firelink Shrine itself included. I'll take Tower of Latria over Irithyll Dungeon any day though.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

skasion posted:

Pyro counterbalances its stat demands by being really fuckin good and reaching full power a long time before either miracles or sorcery — just start with the fire gem gift and you have a weapon good enough for the early game (or you can snag the deep battle axe from Highwall), unlock Cornyx, and then rush down to Smoldering Lake for those pyro scrolls.

Sorcery isn’t so much bad as monotonous and underwhelming. You’ll be firing a lot of great heavy soul arrows.

Thank you for the tip, I started over as a Pyro over the weekend and it's pretty great! I do feel like my points have to be spread pretty thin (I completely ditched the offensive stats after getting enough for the Astora Straight Sword, but I still have to balance Vigor, Intelligence and Faith while upping Endurance a bit and keeping enough Attunement so that casting Chaos Fire Orb doesn't use half my FP and my only 2 slots), but overall I find myself managing areas at a much lower level than my previous playthrough and solo-ing bosses that I usually absolutely hate solo-ing.

If there's one thing I didn't like, it's that it a lot of really cool poo poo is in late-ish game areas like Smouldering Lake/Demon Ruins/Anor Londo/Profaned Capital. I'm getting a bit tired of my Raw infusion, but if I get a Fire weapon I don't benefit as much from the stats I have, so I'm better using Raw until Chaos or Dark. Not a big deal, but it's so nice once you get a Chaos that I would have wanted it sooner, and maybe I had to upgrade my Raw weapon a bit too far for my liking (but I'll probably Shrive it and turn it Dark or Chaos when I can).

I also take back what I said about the skeletons not being able to put a dent in the fire demon before Smouldering Lake; They took him down to like 200HP in this playthrough, it was awesome!

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

CordlessPen posted:

Thank you for the tip, I started over as a Pyro over the weekend and it's pretty great! I do feel like my points have to be spread pretty thin (I completely ditched the offensive stats after getting enough for the Astora Straight Sword, but I still have to balance Vigor, Intelligence and Faith while upping Endurance a bit and keeping enough Attunement so that casting Chaos Fire Orb doesn't use half my FP and my only 2 slots), but overall I find myself managing areas at a much lower level than my previous playthrough and solo-ing bosses that I usually absolutely hate solo-ing.

If there's one thing I didn't like, it's that it a lot of really cool poo poo is in late-ish game areas like Smouldering Lake/Demon Ruins/Anor Londo/Profaned Capital. I'm getting a bit tired of my Raw infusion, but if I get a Fire weapon I don't benefit as much from the stats I have, so I'm better using Raw until Chaos or Dark. Not a big deal, but it's so nice once you get a Chaos that I would have wanted it sooner, and maybe I had to upgrade my Raw weapon a bit too far for my liking (but I'll probably Shrive it and turn it Dark or Chaos when I can).

I also take back what I said about the skeletons not being able to put a dent in the fire demon before Smouldering Lake; They took him down to like 200HP in this playthrough, it was awesome!

One Pyromancy thing I learned very late in my playthough: Rapport is ridiculously good.

It's basically a 1 hit kill against any enemy that it affects, and it's even better if there are more enemies in the area. And it works on a lot of things that otherwise are a pain in the butt to fight.

Did I mention it affects the fat winged dickheads on top of Lothric Castle?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The thing that makes rapport so good in this game is the range. You can completely neutralize enemies with it before you’re even in danger.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Doing the sewers and blighttown right after it pretty much assured that any character that i would ever make in the future has to have the Master Key.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
GameStop had the Fire Fades edition (which is the version with everything, as far as I can tell?) for $20, which seemed pretty good, so I picked this up after only having played Bloodborne. I died like ten times to the first boss, so I look forward to many more deaths to come

e: and now I can't find my way out of the Firelink Shrine to wherever the next area is so I think I'm gonna call it for tonight and pick it back up tomorrow with new eyes and a new brain

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 18, 2018

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

morallyobjected posted:

GameStop had the Fire Fades edition (which is the version with everything, as far as I can tell?) for $20, which seemed pretty good, so I picked this up after only having played Bloodborne. I died like ten times to the first boss, so I look forward to many more deaths to come

e: and now I can't find my way out of the Firelink Shrine to wherever the next area is so I think I'm gonna call it for tonight and pick it back up tomorrow with new eyes and a new brain

Teleport to High Wall of Lothric at the Shrine bonfire. It's really not that clear.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fargin Icehole posted:

Doing the sewers and blighttown right after it pretty much assured that any character that i would ever make in the future has to have the Master Key.

I've probably beaten Kalameet significantly more often than I have Gaping Dragon.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
why do people treat this thread like its a ds1 or 2 thread constatly?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Iretep posted:

Time has become convoluted, with posts for different games phasing in and out of threads

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Soul Reaver posted:

One Pyromancy thing I learned very late in my playthough: Rapport is ridiculously good.

It's basically a 1 hit kill against any enemy that it affects, and it's even better if there are more enemies in the area. And it works on a lot of things that otherwise are a pain in the butt to fight.

Did I mention it affects the fat winged dickheads on top of Lothric Castle?

Yeah, I did start playing around with it as soon as I got it, but I guess I tried it at the wrongest of places... It seemed so uselss trying it out in Smouldering Lake because most enemies are immune to it, it only worked on the Ghru and they whiff like 90% of their attacks on each other (I guess because they go for grabs 90% of the time).

Trying it out in Lothric Castle, however, is loving amazing...

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 18, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Iretep posted:

Probably should just have a unified Dark/Demon Souls thread at this point considering the amount of traffic the individual threads get.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Probably should just have a unified Dark/Demon Souls thread at this point considering the amount of traffic the individual threads get.

That amount of traffic being a whole goddamn lot? What are you even talking about?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A unified thread would just be chaos. Even the Dark Souls 2 thread which is now the game furthest from a release is plenty active.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Unified Thread Theory would also just be a series of the usual chained debate derails until certain topics get marked as instant probates. You know the ones, and they'll happen in one thread, then a week or two later appear in one of the other threads with different people typing the same copy-paste arguments like a million monkeys sitting at a million typewriters.

I typed two topics out and was about to start typing a third before I realized it alone might spark a derail and wrote this sentence instead.

Vote NO on Proposition UT. Unification has no one's interests in mind.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Just bookmark all three, having separate separate threads for things is the whole point of a forum. Here's hoping there'll be a Demon's Souls Remastered thread next year.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's inevitably going to be talk about the different games in each thread but lumping everyone together like a bunch of angry and dumb as hell hornets will solve absolutely nothing

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Alright, being a Pyro is making me ditch the shield, so now I have to find a cool offhand option. I was thinking a Simple-infused parry weapon because I like to parry and I think it'd look badass, so I'm considering the caestus, demon fist and parry dagger.

Parrying dagger seems like the obvious choice, as it's made to parry, but apparently the startup and recovery are both slower than fist weapons, so I'm wondering if the extra parrying frames are worth it. Patches is temporarily gone in my game, so I'll have to wait a bit to test it out (just gotta beat any boss!)

The caestus is second runner. It's the only one I've tried so far and it seems OK. I still have to get used to its parry timing, but it really does start up faster and would be better at "reaction" parrying. On the other hand, the parry window does feel tighter than a parrying shield's and it looks like an oven mitt, so bad fashion souls.

The demon fist is out because I'm a doof and ate the demon's soul. I'll definitely look into it next playthrough, but since it wouldn't be Simple-infused, it seems like there wouldn't be any advantage over the caestus, other than looks.

Alternate: The dark hand might be a lovely shield with an impossible to land, lovely attack, but... it looks cool!

Alt-alternate: I haven't reached the ringed city yet, but since I'm considering 100% esthetic options, I think the Parting Flame would make me look awesome, with both hands on fire. I could also cast from both hands, for the once-in-a-blue-moon time when a doorway blocks your cast!

Other option: I could also ditch the Simple infusion, slow as it is, and go back to weapon in the right hand, pyro flame in the left.

Any thougts? Any other option I haven't considered?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Blessed Lothric Knight Greatsword

Don't actually do this

Actually, no, do this

Laminator fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 20, 2018

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Definitely checks the fashion souls box!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Simple cestus is a good option.

The dark hand isn’t really what you’re looking for (can’t be infused) but I think it’s not bad in this game. Its real niche is for low level gimmick builds, since it can’t be upgraded but does a surprising amount of damage. You can easily take out Dancer with it for example.

e: in the right hand I mean. As a shield it sucks.

skasion fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 20, 2018

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I've discovered a new favorite thing in DS3 this week and that is invading people at level 30 and slapchopping the piss out of them with a Ringed Knight Straight Sword. It works best if you don't use the weapon art until they are at about 30% and then you just burst them to nothing next time they try to attack because the L2-L1 weapon art actually has hyper armor on a straight sword

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Amppelix posted:

That amount of traffic being a whole goddamn lot? What are you even talking about?

Hardly, they get like 5-10 posts a day and that will probably level off further since I doubt much will happen with the franchise for quite a while.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

khwarezm posted:

Hardly, they get like 5-10 posts a day and that will probably level off further since I doubt much will happen with the franchise for quite a while.
What dead gay forum are YOU posting on where 5-10 posts a day isn't a huge amount of traffic?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Simply Simon posted:

What dead gay forum are YOU posting on where 5-10 posts a day isn't a huge amount of traffic?

Idunno, I'm just thinking of other threads like the Early FPS one where they regularly have a whole page worth of new posts daily and it's fine, and that's a much wider topic than just the dark souls games.

It doesn't really matter that much it just feels like I see lots of the same discussion over three Dark Souls threads and if they were all in one it would collate everything to make the discussions easier to keep track of while getting rid of some of the redundancy.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Idunno, I'm just thinking of other threads like the Early FPS one where they regularly have a whole page worth of new posts daily and it's fine, and that's a much wider topic than just the dark souls games.

It doesn't really matter that much it just feels like I see lots of the same discussion over three Dark Souls threads and if they were all in one it would collate everything to make the discussions easier to keep track of while getting rid of some of the redundancy.

personally, I hate having to go through a whole page at a time, because it often means some question I ask gets lost in the midst of some other discussion, so a couple new posts that seem to get checked pretty regularly is fine with me. I asked a question and got an answer like half an hour later, so everything is working fine so far.

coming from Bloodborne, it seems like DS3 is a lot more liberal with bonfires than BB was with lanterns. I've been running around the Undead Settlement killing things trying not to die because I can't for the love of me get the parry times down and I've already come across like three different ones, and I'm sure there are some others in places I haven't explored yet. In BB you're lucky if you can find like two in one area this size.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

morallyobjected posted:

personally, I hate having to go through a whole page at a time, because it often means some question I ask gets lost in the midst of some other discussion, so a couple new posts that seem to get checked pretty regularly is fine with me. I asked a question and got an answer like half an hour later, so everything is working fine so far.

coming from Bloodborne, it seems like DS3 is a lot more liberal with bonfires than BB was with lanterns. I've been running around the Undead Settlement killing things trying not to die because I can't for the love of me get the parry times down and I've already come across like three different ones, and I'm sure there are some others in places I haven't explored yet. In BB you're lucky if you can find like two in one area this size.

DS3 has two bonfires within visual range of each other in at least one place I can think of.

I think the theory was that it's an artifact of when they were toying with the idea of the player being able to create a bonfire wherever - which you might remember was a mechanic shown in a really early preview. That or some areas didn't originally connect the way they ended up connecting in the final game, which resulted in bonfire placement getting weird in places.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I love the moment just before you discover Irithyll. Like, you kill Wolnir and get a bonfire, then climb exactly one flight of stairs and reach another bonfire, then cross a bridge and find another bonfire. Between all 3 of them, there's one enemy and it doesn't respawn.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

morallyobjected posted:

Indeed. BB's headstones are basically like the equivalent of DS3's "locations" (the categories on the warp screen), and there are five in BB (counting DLC) and about 30 in DS3, some of which have more bonfires than most of the headstones in BB. The lantern distribution in BB is pretty similar to the bonfire distribution in Dark Souls, i.e. they aren't meant to demarcate sections of areas like progress checkpoints like DS3, they're just scattered resting/travel points. In DS3 you can pretty much track your progress linearly by how many bonfires you've unlocked.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

khwarezm posted:

Collating all those threads also collects the community under one banner. And while that sounds good, it is in fact a guarantee for unbridled chaos. The Soulsborne community as a whole is made up of several different factions that are quite willing to snipe at each other over niggling details, and it's not hard to find on SA if you check back a few pages in any relevant thread. It's better to have cold wars than flamewars here.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CordlessPen posted:

I love the moment just before you discover Irithyll. Like, you kill Wolnir and get a bonfire, then climb exactly one flight of stairs and reach another bonfire, then cross a bridge and find another bonfire. Between all 3 of them, there's one enemy and it doesn't respawn.

Supposedly, during development, Irithyll was originally accessible from and right after the boss fight in Cathedral of the Deep.

So it makes sense that bonfire placement there is kind of wonky.

On the other hand I'm not aware of any sane explanation for Dragonslayer Armor -> Grand Archives bonfire placement. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On the other hand I'm not aware of any sane explanation for Dragonslayer Armor -> Grand Archives bonfire placement. :v:
Yeah, the only explaination I can come up with is that the bonfires are placed as if the boss bonfires didn't exist.

I also realized that you can't enter Irithyll if you don't have the doll from the Cathedral, I guess that this could kind of sort of explain why there's one before and one after the barrier.