Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

shalcar posted:

Items are resolved left to right, top to bottom with each item being fully resolved before moving on to the next one.

As such, Lightnings Swift Strike 2 presence growth reads:
1) Place a presence within 2 tiles of your existing presence.
(Then)
2) Place a presence on a tile where you have existing presence.

You can place them both on the same tile at range 2 and make a sacred site even if you had no presence there at the start of the turn.
Nah you can do growth items in any order (page 8 of the rulebook). Power card abilities need to be done in order, however.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Rumor is the Brass Kickstarter won't ship out until July 25th, for those who are waiting. For some goddamn stupid reason, they're shipping to the furthest addresses first.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jejoma posted:

Rumor is the Brass Kickstarter won't ship out until July 25th, for those who are waiting. For some goddamn stupid reason, they're shipping to the furthest addresses first.

Normalising (to an extent) how long it takes people to get their copies isn't really a "stupid reason".

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

Jabor posted:

Normalising (to an extent) how long it takes people to get their copies isn't really a "stupid reason".

go 2 bed

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Morpheus posted:

In today's news of "if it looks too good to be true, it almost certainly is":

http://atgn.com.au/overturn-rising-sands-kickstarter-caught-plagiarising-still-track-funded/

Here's the kickstarter they're referring to, which has recently been suspended (after earning over 300% of their goal). This is what happens when dummies will throw their money at anything that has minis in it without doing even a lick of research.

I'm impressed by how much effort they've taken to plagiarise a game. They've made a whole lot of changes in that layout as well as the copied stuff, and concocted maps, artwork and miniature models. Want to ask them, hey wouldn't it be easier to actually make a game?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jejoma posted:

go 2 bed

You should take your own advice, maybe when you wake up tomorrow you'll comprehend the existence of time zones.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

misguided rage posted:

Nah you can do growth items in any order (page 8 of the rulebook). Power card abilities need to be done in order, however.

This really messed us up because I was playing Thunderspeaker and it is the only spirit whose innate powers are nonlinear where the top line is "4 air, this power may be fast" and then the second line is "do a thing." So the guy who taught the game is like "powers are resolved top down, so you can't use her innate power until you get at least 4 air." Somehow we won that game, but at the end I had to do some serious rules lawyering to explain that unless it says "instead" I don't have to do innate powers in linear order.

It's just that Thunderspeaker is literally the only exception (at least among the spirits he had) because all the other spirits have their innate powers ordered in increasing value for whatever reason.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

al-azad posted:

This really messed us up because I was playing Thunderspeaker and it is the only spirit whose innate powers are nonlinear where the top line is "4 air, this power may be fast" and then the second line is "do a thing." So the guy who taught the game is like "powers are resolved top down, so you can't use her innate power until you get at least 4 air." Somehow we won that game, but at the end I had to do some serious rules lawyering to explain that unless it says "instead" I don't have to do innate powers in linear order.

It's just that Thunderspeaker is literally the only exception (at least among the spirits he had) because all the other spirits have their innate powers ordered in increasing value for whatever reason.

Yeah, the rules for innate powers / elements are easy to get wrong I think, but it's not so much the rules' fault as it is preconceptions. Like, it says right there in the rules, if you have the elements to do any powers you can do them. RAW (and intended) you're not 'spending' any elements, it's a threshold not a cost, so you can perform a bunch of powers, and in any order. And then on the powers some of them say 'instead', and that covers it. It took us a while to work out though, because normally it would be like Magic the Gathering where you 'spend' the 'mana', and the cards work like that.

I think the game is amazing, but I find it's quite admin heavy, having to add a whole ton of stuff to the board every round. Have you guys found any way to make it more straightforward? I guess just having each player do their own board would probably be a good start, and I imagine it becomes easier with practice.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 19, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

!Klams posted:

I think the game is amazing, but I find it's quite admin heavy, having to add a whole ton of stuff to the board every round. Have you guys found any way to make it more straightforward? I guess just having each player do their own board would probably be a good start, and I imagine it becomes easier with practice.

Pretty much this - every player has their own board, so just trusting them to do it correctly speeds up the process immensely. Most of the time you're only ever modifying two areas on each board (four if you get to stage III) anyway so it's really quick if you each do your own. This involves everyone really knowing the system though. When I play it with my gf, she's not entirely certain about what should go where, so I just do her board for her.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jejoma posted:

Furthest from where????

e:They are in FL. I'm in California, so yay? Although really will it matter much? It takes a week to get stuff from FL.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 19, 2018

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In Spirit Island the rulebook explicitly states that you must resolve elemental thresholds top to bottom if you have the option to do more than one, though this rarely matters in practice since most of the innate powers are sequential and build on the previous. It does matter for certain power cards though.

It's a bizarre ruling to make Thunderspeaker always have 4 air to use their innate powers, since not having an early way to move Dahan can really hurt TS. You just skip the threshold you don't qualify for, in this case defaulting the power to slow.

Also yeah, make everyone responsible for their own board to speed up play. Ravage is the toughest to explain in my experience. Also remembering that explorers can always explore from the coast. Go it slow and most players pick up the rules by the end of the first or maybe second game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SettingSun posted:

In Spirit Island the rulebook explicitly states that you must resolve elemental thresholds top to bottom if you have the option to do more than one, though this rarely matters in practice since most of the innate powers are sequential and build on the previous. It does matter for certain power cards though.

It's a bizarre ruling to make Thunderspeaker always have 4 air to use their innate powers, since not having an early way to move Dahan can really hurt TS. You just skip the threshold you don't qualify for, in this case defaulting the power to slow.

Also yeah, make everyone responsible for their own board to speed up play. Ravage is the toughest to explain in my experience. Also remembering that explorers can always explore from the coast. Go it slow and most players pick up the rules by the end of the first or maybe second game.

What do you mean by explore from the coast? The guy who taught it said (by default) if there is a terrain type in the explore step next to a town/city then an explorer pops up there automatically. Do they also appear automatically if the terrain is next to coast?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

posted about this in discord: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1957923/solo-rules-released

time of crisis has player bots in beta and an expansion announced

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I got an email from BGB saying Container had arrived but there's nothing on their site and I haven't seen any shipping notices :(

It's also holding up my copy of Dominant Species!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

al-azad posted:

What do you mean by explore from the coast? The guy who taught it said (by default) if there is a terrain type in the explore step next to a town/city then an explorer pops up there automatically. Do they also appear automatically if the terrain is next to coast?

Yes that's exactly what I mean. If the terrain is next to an ocean (ie coastal) and that terrain is being explored, you stick an explorer there. I imagine this is so that even if you clear your entire section of board (which with some experience isn't hard on the lowest difficulty) the invaders still have a way to affect the board.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

posted about this in discord: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1957923/solo-rules-released

time of crisis has player bots in beta and an expansion announced

You can p500 it now https://www.gmtgames.com/p-698-the-age-of-iron-and-rust-a-time-of-crisis-expansion.aspx

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
For all the things that are "clearly specified" in the rules for Spirit Island, there sure seems to be a lot of confusion.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

For all the things that are "clearly specified" in the rules for Spirit Island, there sure seems to be a lot of confusion.

Not sure if it's because the game is popular in here or what but there definitely seems to be tons of rule questions and clarifications being posted. Does the manual stink or are there just lots of edge cases that appear to rearing their head?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've never had an issue with the rulebook myself. I can't think of any gotchas but it's been a bit since I first learned it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Kerro posted:

It has definitely replaced Kemet and CitOW for us which were our preferred DOAM games before.

Wow, guess I have to play it now, I had always ignored it as a CiTOW Clone with extra superfulous expansions.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FulsomFrank posted:

Not sure if it's because the game is popular in here or what but there definitely seems to be tons of rule questions and clarifications being posted. Does the manual stink or are there just lots of edge cases that appear to rearing their head?

Edge cases, mostly. The manual also has a lot of text. Like, a whole lot. And it's small. A lot of clarification also exists within sidebars, which is normally fine, except like half the manual is sidebars. I find it's fine to learn from, but not very good to reference.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SettingSun posted:

I've never had an issue with the rulebook myself. I can't think of any gotchas but it's been a bit since I first learned it.

Same here, and the FAQ is really fantastic as well. I really don't understand the reputation it has for being so heavy or full of admin, to me it's less than dealing with Pandemic with expansions.

Played some games last night:

Ganz Schon Clever 4 players - Made a print and play of this with laminates and dice I had lying around and it's a big hit with everyone so far. We played four times in a row and they wanted more. The game is definitely better at 3-4 than 1-2 because the dice passing is more meaningful. My favorite of the new roll and writes so far though I do like Welcome To for it's simultaneous turns and tough decisions as well. Excited to try Steam Rollers though, it looks good but $50 for a roll and write is ehhhh.

Evolution Climate 5 players - I like this game but the deck can decide the game from the start. I got a ridiculous combo of Hard Shell/Foraging/Intelligence on one species and Nocturnal/Symbiosis/Scavenger/Foraging on the other by round two and cruised to a massive victory. I did have a nice play in the last round of forcing an ice age event which left 4 food in the pool and being first player I snatched it all in one go with foraging + nocturnal/foraging, dumped my hand to intelligence to fill out the rest of my food, and then scavenged my other species to max while being invulnerable the whole time. Other than that though, the game was over for me in round two and I had no reason to change anything. I'm starting to think that Evolution: The Beginning is the best version (only at 2p) for being the most direct, stripped down, and fastest playing.

Keyper 3 player - People are really loving this one, though I still put it below Keyflower. A lot of things carry over, with the meat of the game being getting tiles and upgrading them for VP possibilities, but this one is generally not as mean and the game system is a little more forgiving as well. The worker placement following system is clever enough to make every decision rewarding and important. The variable tile boards are cute but mostly a faster way to handle having a lot of action space tiles or cards. Score spread was 79-83 which was closer than I expected given my gem engine. I have this and Keyflower in the KF box and I'm always happy to play either.

Orleans 4 player - Still not liking this game, since it combines point salad track pushing and deck builder randomness. The only real choice to make is placing your workers on the board based on what you drew and eh, none of it is enticing or satisfying for me. I lost this game because money ran out during the bonus event tile and I got 2 coins instead of 6 or whatever the other players got because of turn order and apparently coins are a limited resource. Stupid icing on a boring cake.

Yokohama 3 player - We had an hour left before the shop closed but the guy really wanted to get his deluxe edition with a nice insert played so we agreed to just dive in. I had never played before but it was simple to grasp. I really liked the path building/action selection combo that diverted from an otherwise standard point salad euro. Variable setup feels impactful as well. Managed to get some key techs early and rush the church for a comfortable win while they were stuck in another corner of the board going for a lot of resources and exports. I would play this over Orleans 100% of the time.

Also of note was a 4p game of Altiplano going on at a friends table nearby that took almost 3 hours. They all echoed the sentiments of the game being pleasant but way too long.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah Yokohama has been a favorite with us as well. I got the original Japanese version and I'm waiting for the Meeplesource upgrade to come back in stock so it'll be a little nicer looking.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mister Sinewave posted:

Yeah, honestly, I think it's just because of assumptions though. Like, the dude saying explore is only from towns will be because he read about exploring from coastal regions at the start (I mean you have to, is how you set up) and just assumed that was because that was them initially invading, and that there are different rules for set up. The rules don't say that though, they just explain that's how you explore. It's all little things like this.

Then because all the spirits work differently, what's hideously op for one spirit is just par for the course for another, so sometimes it will seem like you must be getting a rule wrong when you're not. Similarly the difficulty of this game isn't the same as many other games, and changes over the course of a game even, so often people will question "Can it really be that hard?" Etc.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Same here, and the FAQ is really fantastic as well. I really don't understand the reputation it has for being so heavy or full of admin, to me it's less than dealing with Pandemic with expansions.

Ganz Schon Clever 4 players - Made a print and play of this with laminates and dice I had lying around and it's a big hit with everyone so far. We played four times in a row and they wanted more. The game is definitely better at 3-4 than 1-2 because the dice passing is more meaningful. My favorite of the new roll and writes so far though I do like Welcome To for it's simultaneous turns and tough decisions as well. Excited to try Steam Rollers though, it looks good but $50 for a roll and write is ehhhh.

What's this? It sounds quick.

Bottom Liner posted:

Evolution Climate 5 players - I like this game but the deck can decide the game from the start. I got a ridiculous combo of Hard Shell/Foraging/Intelligence on one species and Nocturnal/Symbiosis/Scavenger/Foraging on the other by round two and cruised to a massive victory. I did have a nice play in the last round of forcing an ice age event which left 4 food in the pool and being first player I snatched it all in one go with foraging + nocturnal/foraging, dumped my hand to intelligence to fill out the rest of my food, and then scavenged my other species to max while being invulnerable the whole time. Other than that though, the game was over for me in round two and I had no reason to change anything. I'm starting to think that Evolution: The Beginning is the best version (only at 2p) for being the most direct, stripped down, and fastest playing.

I played the base game many years ago, and it was so close to being a cool game. I didn't know how to verbalize it at the time, but the single deck of cards really does decide the game at times. There are combos that you need exact counters for, and no real agency in getting them. The diverse strategies and interaction are cool on the surface though.

Really I just wish that DS had an hour play time and a more appealing board from the sounds of things.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Shadow225 posted:

What's this? It sounds quick.

Yahtzee but good basically

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/244522/ganz-schon-clever

online version (make sure you don't have translate on or the browser won't load it)

https://m.brettspielwelt.de/ganzschoenclever/

Shadow225 posted:

I didn't know how to verbalize it at the time, but the single deck of cards really does decide the game at times. There are combos that you need exact counters for, and no real agency in getting them.

Yup, that's a cardinal sin in games for me at this point. Biggest issue with Terraforming Mars too.

quote:

Really I just wish that DS had an hour play time and a more appealing board from the sounds of things.

Let me interest you in the travel version I'm working on :v:

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Wolfgang Warsch said in an interview that his prototype was more a little more complex. So if it sells well (it probably does) there will be alternative scoring blocks and an expansion of sorts. Themeless roll and writes probably won't catch on outside of germany, but games like Noch Mal or Ganz Schön Clever are a good way to unwind with your partner after a long day. There is an obsessive-compulsive primal joy in chucking dice and ticking off boxes.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
/edit: oops double post.

For content: just realised this other mysterium expansion (secrets and lies) adds a replacement for the objects in the motive cards, but like, why? Why not just more objects? Anyone come up with a balanced way to use all 4, and have like an extra round?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 19, 2018

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Lorini posted:

Yeah Yokohama has been a favorite with us as well. I got the original Japanese version and I'm waiting for the Meeplesource upgrade to come back in stock so it'll be a little nicer looking.

It's one of me and my wife's favorite Euro right now. I love the variable setup in the game not just with the placement of the boards but with the bonus 5 houses and the cards that are placed on each location. Everytime I have played it people seem to ignore the church and other board where you turn in the cargo, can't remember it's name right now. I usually blitz those location for a big amount of points while also pushing toward the end game. I always see people mention Istanbul with it but I think Yokohama is better.

Also I got to play Sailing Toward Osiris with 3 recently and I thought I wouldn't like it because it's on the lighter side. The think that makes it unique is that the rules stat that everything you control whether it be resources, victory points or even your turn is up for negotiation, the rules also state that any promise of something like a future turn being traded is not enforcable so it can get cutthroat. There's was so much dealing and backstabbing in our game. The last turn someone was trying to trade me the resources I needed to build a monument for 4 of my victory points to beat the 3rd person. I need to play again to see how much I like it thought because I could see it being repetitive.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 19, 2018

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006

Jejoma posted:

Got my shipping notification yesterday, I'm in the UK.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jejoma posted:

Since I'm moving soon, I emailed them and they said it should arrive in Chicago before the end of July.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

Also I got to play Sailing Toward Osiris with 3 recently and I thought I wouldn't like it because it's on the lighter side. The think that makes it unique is that the rules stat that everything you control whether it be resources, victory points or even your turn is up for negotiation, the rules also state that any promise of something like a future turn being traded is not enforcable so it can get cutthroat. There's was so much dealing and backstabbing in our game. The last turn someone was trying to trade me the resources I needed to build a monument for 4 of my victory points to beat the 3rd person. I need to play again to see how much I like it thought because I could see it being repetitive.

Sailing Towards Osiris rules. I have the Kickstarter version that includes a few modules that really should have been in the box for variety, but I think it really creates a healthy trading economy with the resource scarcity and the "draw two, trade one" rule for drawing City cards.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

deadwing posted:

Sailing Towards Osiris rules. I have the Kickstarter version that includes a few modules that really should have been in the box for variety, but I think it really creates a healthy trading economy with the resource scarcity and the "draw two, trade one" rule for drawing City cards.

Are you taking about the expansion that comes with Governers and objectives? I read about those coming in an expansion later this year and thought that would give the game much more depth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

!Klams posted:

For content: just realised this other mysterium expansion (secrets and lies) adds a replacement for the objects in the motive cards, but like, why? Why not just more objects?

Because more objects don't always come out. Using the Motive cards instead immediately smashes the meta. Unlike Hidden Signs, S&L is not an expansion for people who have played twice and want some more pretty art.

The other reason is because it makes building a narrative possible. Some people like a little roleplaying or storytelling in their game, and figuring out why the whoever did it is better for that than the base game's Cluedo set.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

deadwing posted:

I looked at the Man vs Meeple preview. It has hidden trackable information. Nope.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

Are you taking about the expansion that comes with Governers and objectives? I read about those coming in an expansion later this year and thought that would give the game much more depth.

Yeah, they're not exclusive and should hit retail in a couple months. I haven't played with the objectives yet, but the governors and Boon of Ra give the game some variability that the base doesn't really have.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
I've had about a half a dozen stickers made up at a print shop I use for work that correct the Orchid/Jewel misprint in Founders of Gloomhaven, if anyone wants one for free. I'm picking them up tomorrow.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jejoma posted:

I've had about a half a dozen stickers made up at a print shop I use for work that correct the Orchid/Jewel misprint in Founders of Gloomhaven, if anyone wants one for free. I'm picking them up tomorrow.
I haven't opened my copy yet, what misprint? I might want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just got a PNP copy of Hyperspace, Sandy Petersen's upcoming Eclipse-style game. I shall have to give it a shot.