Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

I just forked it. Buy suckercoin now!

QuarkJets posted:

A lot of the replies are like "good riddance, bitcoin doesn't need payment processors!"

just ignore the years when they were excited about Stripe and others were showing interest at all

Let's also not forget that the only way the lightning network will ever work (lol, it will never work) is if a lot of payment processors step in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
what will it get to make libertarians (and their subset of cryptocurrency true believers) understand that normal people do not care if money is fiat? do not care, will never rush desperately for bitcoin, will never make you a crypto billionaire like in your fantasies

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Remember when AARO said he retired off bitcoin and thought anyone would believe him.

Haha, you are a giant loving idiot AARO. Can't wait for your alt account.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Has anyone said bitchcoin yet

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

gary oldmans diary posted:

what will it get to make libertarians (and their subset of cryptocurrency true believers) understand that normal people do not care if money is fiat? do not care, will never rush desperately for bitcoin, will never make you a crypto billionaire like in your fantasies

During the next big market collapse, bitcoin needs to crater and not rise. Almost everyone in crypto expects it to rise and replace gold; the more libertarian you are the more fervently you think it's a safe haven in a fiat disaster. IMO it's so volatile and so unrelated to anything else it could easily go either way.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

If you don't care about fiat you can keep using it all you want?

The people that want an alternative have cryptos, the people that don't care can ignore it, it doesn't seem a big deal?? :confused:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Sickening posted:

Remember when AARO said he retired off bitcoin and thought anyone would believe him.

Haha, you are a giant loving idiot AARO. Can't wait for your alt account.

he retired from the forums because of bitcoins

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The people that want an alternative have cryptos
you called cryptocurrencies an alternative. theyre astoundingly far from that. thats pretty much the fantasy im talking about. pull yourself out of it

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

you called cryptocurrencies an alternative. theyre astoundingly far from that. thats pretty much the fantasy im talking about. pull yourself out of it

Yeah you're making a dumbass point here dude, you're literally asking for comparisons of the fiat currency vs the other thing that isn't fiat

They're an alternative to fiat currency because they're not fiat currency are you genuinely too dumb to grasp that?

you get to keep using your fiat money, the thing that is not fiat is available to the people that prefer it for whatever their reasons are, everything is ok except that there's some dudes really incensed other people are doing things they wouldn't?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah you're making a dumbass point here dude
my bro you literally think cryptocoins are actual money because they have coins in the name. being used instead of cash in niche circumstances doesnt qualify them as a general alternative to real money

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 19, 2018

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

my bro you literally think cryptocoins are actual money because they have coins in the name

Lol well they're a thing you can use for transactions and they're not issued by a nation state and they can be used for a lot of the same transactions that nation state issued currency can be used for...

what exactly are you arguing - that people can't use cryptos as a substitute for nation state issued currency in transactions?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
does anyone have an "arguments for bitcoin/arguments for chuck e cheese tokens" venn diagram prepared?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

does anyone have an "arguments for bitcoin/arguments for chuck e cheese tokens" venn diagram prepared?

so to answer your original smug statement, cryptos are interesting to those that have issues with fiat currency because they're not fiat currency :bravo:. What a tough mystery to crack

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i definitely agree with you there. crypto currencies meet both qualifications for not being fiat currency (only 1 was even needed; exceptional)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"alternative" implies a fundamental equivalency which does not exist. My grocery store accepts US dollars, it does not accept Bitcoin. They're alternatives in the same sense that a bicycle is an alternative mode of transportation to a car. That's technically true in limited circumstance, but I can't feasibly ride my bike from Illinois to Colorado. It is within the realm of possibility to do that, but the limitations of the medium have significant disadvantages. Bitcoin is the same way, its practical applications are so limited and the ease of use is so scant that while it is an alternative to Fiat it isn't a good alternative.

Gold is an alternative too, and gold has actual commodity value in manufacturing and such, but it ain't a good alternative to cash.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Heath posted:

"alternative" implies a fundamental equivalency which does not exist. My grocery store accepts US dollars, it does not accept Bitcoin. They're alternatives in the same sense that a bicycle is an alternative mode of transportation to a car. That's technically true in limited circumstance, but I can't feasibly ride my bike from Illinois to Colorado. It is within the realm of possibility to do that, but the limitations of the medium have significant disadvantages. Bitcoin is the same way, its practical applications are so limited and the ease of use is so scant that while it is an alternative to Fiat it isn't a good alternative.

Gold is an alternative too, and gold has actual commodity value in manufacturing and such, but it ain't a good alternative to cash.

It's weird with this thread. It's like pedantic semantic arguments about what exactly?

In the context of Gary's great 2 sentence posts because that's all he can manage to poo poo out, he was comparing fiat currency to cryptos. In my response I referring to it as an alternative to fiat, as in, the other choice you can use for completing a transaction. I didn't say it's a replacement or a substitute, I said, it's an option that exists now that didn't exist previously, and it can be an alternative if you want to do a transaction and don't want to use fiat, now you can use cryptos for the transaction.

It's an option you can use that isn't fiat and you can conduct transactions with it :psyduck:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

bitcoin can't physically meet the latency or scale demands of the retail transactions in a single sports stadium even if the sports stadium wanted to try and everyone ignored the gigantic fees per transaction

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
btw bitcoin is a fiat currency, just one not issued by a goverment. it's intrinsically valueless and backed by nothing.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

In the context of Gary's great 2 sentence posts because that's all he can manage to poo poo out
me enjoying your tears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuA67jongCE

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah we get that it is possible to buy things with Bitcoin and that Bitcoin exists, what the gently caress is your point?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lol well they're a thing you can use for transactions and they're not issued by a nation state and they can be used for a lot of the same transactions that nation state issued currency can be used for...

what exactly are you arguing - that people can't use cryptos as a substitute for nation state issued currency in transactions?

This seems to be a pretty large exaggeration, not pedantic at all.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Burt Sexual posted:

This seems to be a pretty large exaggeration, not pedantic at all.

Is "some transactions" better, I want us to reach this place of peace where people aren't offended by really banal observations that you can use this thing as an alternative to that thing for some things

let's find the phrasing that gets us there

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Tell us again about how mining crypto is a smart idea, even though you spend more money on electricity than whatever shitcoin you mine is “worth,” because it is certain to got up, uP, UP to the moon, so it will be free money somehow.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Is "some transactions" better, I want us to reach this place of peace where people aren't offended by really banal observations that you can use this thing as an alternative to that thing for some things

let's find the phrasing that gets us there

You imply a lot of poo poo with your banal observations and then get real drat mad when someone calls you out on the implication and walk it back with "uh you're interpreting way more than what I said" because you didn't actually say anything at all

If I'm just going by what you claim you have said, it boils down to "Bitcoin exists, and can be used to buy things, and therefore is an alternative to Fiat currency" in which case you may as well have said nothing at all because nobody is disputing that, they're disputing whether Bitcoin is a useful or preferable alternative to fiat, and whenever anyone points out why it isn't you walk it back.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
lets roll this back to before ham sandwiches entered
true believers believe in eventual mass adoption in some role and thus being recognized as an actual currency. one of the key selling points for mass adoption is however (uh oh) a thing no one actually cares about
but i thank ham sandwiches for repeatedly missing the point and responding with the comedy phrase "but for the people who dont want fiat currency"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Heath posted:

You imply a lot of poo poo with your banal observations and then get real drat mad when someone calls you out on the implication and walk it back with "uh you're interpreting way more than what I said" because you didn't actually say anything at all

If I'm just going by what you claim you have said, it boils down to "Bitcoin exists, and can be used to buy things, and therefore is an alternative to Fiat currency" in which case you may as well have said nothing at all because nobody is disputing that, they're disputing whether Bitcoin is a useful or preferable alternative to fiat, and whenever anyone points out why it isn't you walk it back.

Man imagine if you could post without the editorializing about how I'm walking poo poo back when we're actively discussing it lol

The poster I responded to was doing the ole "lol when will dumb liberterians realize nobody cares about fiat." I was pointing out the super controversial claim that cryptos are an alternative to fiat currency, that they don't need to replace fiat currency to be useful, that they exist and can be used for transactions where people don't want to use fiat

that's about it, nothing got walked back dude you wrote like two paragraphs about "WHAT DOES ALTERNATIVE REALLY MEAN" for some unknown reason

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I challenge Ham Sandwiches to come in here and blither away next time bitcoin drops which should be soon.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

I challenge Ham Sandwiches to come in here and blither away next time bitcoin drops which should be soon.

I post in this thread pretty regularly, coins have gone up and down a lot over the past year, I know you aren't this dumb but you sure seem to enjoy repeating this burn

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I post in this thread pretty regularly, coins have gone up and down a lot over the past year, I know you aren't this dumb but you sure seem to enjoy repeating this burn

You absolutely disappear for weeks at a time whenever the price sees a major drop.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Pendent posted:

You absolutely disappear for weeks at a time whenever the price sees a major drop.

Yaknow it's been a year and I think people have maybe brought this up 50 or 100 times so far, I'd like to get some more information.

1. What are my contractual obligations re: posting frequency

2. If I don't post while the price is going down what does that mean

3. How many posts do I need to make during each drop to maintain minimum posting rate

4. Is there a way that I can "check in" that I posted during a downturn

5. Is it necessary that I maybe reduce posting whenever the price goes up, to maintain consistency

6. What the gently caress is wrong with you lol seriously what the gently caress makes you care about my posting frequency dumbass

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Ham Sandwiches posted:

5. Is it necessary that I maybe reduce posting

Yes

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Actually please define necessary, reduce, and is

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
theres a post from the past that sorta had a timer built in. im wondering if its gone off yet

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's not time yet -way too early, what's the rush? The thread will be here a while, Bitcoins will be here a while, this will be much more obvious in a few months, the posts aren't going anywhere.

Like, I could sit there and argue with those articles quoting Jamie Dimon, or we can see what Jamie Dimon says in a few months, and what other wall street CEOs say as well.

Divabot wrote his book so that gives a pretty straightforward bar to clear, give it a few months to a year and I suspect it will be a very different discussion we'll be having.
its been 3/4 of a year. i just want to know if those wall street ceos have smartened up and gone all-in on bitcoin yet
its weird bitcoin pulled in a lot of suckers for a couple months but the things to be said about cryptos and tether are still very much the same as back then

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

theres a post from the past that sorta had a timer built in. im wondering if its gone off yet
its been 3/4 of a year. i just want to know if those wall street ceos have smartened up and gone all-in on bitcoin yet
its weird bitcoin pulled in a lot of suckers for a couple months but the things to be said about cryptos and tether are still very much the same as back then

Yeah, so in that very post I talk about how Jamie Dimon would change his tune and how I don't have to argue it out, and what do you know

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/09/jamie-dimon-says-he-regrets-calling-bitcoin-a-fraud.html

quote:

J.P. Morgan Chase Chairman and CEO Jamie Dimon is backpedaling a bit on his earlier criticisms on cryptocurrencies.

In September, Dimon called bitcoin a fraud. "I regret making" that comment, he said Tuesday on Fox Business.

"The blockchain is real," Dimon added in the interview. "You can have cryptodollars in yen and stuff like that. ICOs ... you got to look at every one individually. The bitcoin was always to me what the governments are going to feel about bitcoin when it gets really big. And I just have a different opinion than other people."

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I traded a sandwich and beers to have my lawn mowed. It's nice to know that there is Fiat, cryptos, and sandwiches and beer depending on what money I want to be using

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
literally smugly pulling up articles from december and january. omg :mmmhmm:
https://i.imgur.com/W1uOJPU.mp4
ok ham sandwiches. you win. we here in the thread are having a very different conversation and wall street is now trading primarily using bitcoin. it all happened

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
gentlemen please, its spelled F.I.A.T.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ham Sandwiches posted:

you want to do a transaction and don't want to use fiat, now you can use cryptos for the transaction.

It's an option you can use that isn't fiat and you can conduct transactions with it :psyduck:

I love to run down to Overstock and getting all my, um, chairs for bcash. I NEED groceries for my family, but I need transactions to be in LTC in order to take food home to my kids. You cannot conduct all transactions because bitchcoin isn’t adopted or even worth anything to someone who needs cash,functional money for conducting business, unless you are buying lotsa drugs and stacks of CP.

Ninja edit: i know my examples were not use ready because I didn’t use BTC. This was on purpose:all shitcoins are worthless.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 19, 2018

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Why is bitscoin not fiat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rufio posted:

Why is bitscoin not fiat?

Its