Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Glad to see these guys back in my yard again! The nuthatches are getting more common too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

YETI I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU HAVE A CAT I NEED TO PET. And critters.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

This is the first time I've ever gotten a look at a cicada up close. They were very polite and held very still for me to get a good picture!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
The barn swallows at work hatched FOUR hideous babies!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

"That's a weird big leaf stuck to this concrete pillar... :aaaaa:"

Solid 5"+ wingspan Polyphemus, the first I've ever encountered. drat, Saturniidae are awesome.

(I moved her away from the busy bus stop wall where someone might lean on her or freak out.)
(Assuming her based on wispy antennae?)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Beautiful!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Kith posted:

This is the first time I've ever gotten a look at a cicada up close. They were very polite and held very still for me to get a good picture!

I'm always struck by how beautiful their wings are. That's a really cool picture

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Thank you! My only regret is that I didn't have something stronger than my phone on me. The picture I snapped doesn't do justice to just how iridescent its wings were.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
These guys are fairly common here on Vancouver island. I'm not sure what it is (the potatophone picture doesn't help), but lookit those chompers!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A couple of months ago we found a fairly large snake shed near the flower garden, so we knew we had snakes around, just not what type or quantity.

Today, we almost stepped on a young garter snake slithering through the yard. :kimchi: I hope we see more garters soon, they're so neat!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

DavidAlltheTime posted:

These guys are fairly common here on Vancouver island. I'm not sure what it is (the potatophone picture doesn't help), but lookit those chompers!

Do you have an overhead photo? Looks a bit like Calosoma sp. and relatives; they put a hurtin on caterpillars with those jaws

my cat is norris posted:

YETI I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU HAVE A CAT I NEED TO PET. And critters.

Lmao

the yeti fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 11, 2018

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
My pal ID'd it as Omus dejeani - I like that it's a relatively ancient species!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

DavidAlltheTime posted:

My pal ID'd it as Omus dejeani - I like that it's a relatively ancient species!

'Night stalking tiger beetle' :black101:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I saw the pictures. I was told, in detail, about the warmth and weirdness. I need in on that.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I took some better photos of the swallow babies, including probably the best timed photo I'll take ever. Also, apparently sometimes males will commit infanticide to get females ready to mate again, and I'm concerned that's what almost happened today when a THIRD swallow flew up and mom and dad chased him away. More joined the fray and there was temporarily a swallow tornado (I counted six adults!) in the open garage area they're in until the intruders gave up and flew away.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Heck :kimchi:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Swallows have such grumpy faces :3:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

D'awwww. They're so cute!

A male eastern box turtle looking for snails (hint: there's one right along the right edge of the photo, yummy.)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I finally got those pics from my trip to Cape Breton off my camera. It's an old thing and I lost the cord what plugs into my computer and had to order a new one but here they are, like, a month late. :downs:

Anyway, enjoy some crappily composited critters.

These last two are cheating because they're from a wilderness park but whatever I got to handfeed reindeer and baby bears.

Not pictured, but seen: a couple super chill porcupines trundling along and what we're pretty sure was a juvenile lynx that ran across the road in front of us on the Cabot Trail.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Baby bears are cool. I have yet to see them but apparently there's a lot rolling through the TN valley right now due to their seasonal migration westward or something. I keep looking around the nearby state park in hopes of seeing one.

One for the thread title.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Found a bug I've never seen on my roof in nyc before, there's two of them of slightly different colors:

Wings are weird to be a horsefly. It flies weirdly like a beetle with a big doofy abdomen hanging down, but obviously no elytra. Keep them around or gently caress em up?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Found a bug I've never seen on my roof in nyc before, there's two of them of slightly different colors:

Wings are weird to be a horsefly. It flies weirdly like a beetle with a big doofy abdomen hanging down, but obviously no elytra. Keep them around or gently caress em up?

Looks like a tiger bee fly to me: https://bugguide.net/node/view/2803

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Neat, I've even got some Xylocopa for it to parasitize

Thanks!!

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

This spider had a wizard hat and a sack lunch. :3:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

the yeti posted:

Looks like a tiger bee fly to me: https://bugguide.net/node/view/2803

Whoa, thanks for this. One of these was pestering me at my front door a couple days ago and I didn't know what it was. Makes sense we'd have them, we've got a bumper crop of carpenter bees.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Hmm found some “pests” this week. Hope they wandered in from the outside, haven’t found any infestation, just these two specimens.

What I think is a larder beetle on a curtain. Haven’t found any others of its kind, nor any infested food or larvae.

Mealworm, found in my work building. Presumably flew in from one of our open windows.

Has and still is an abnormally warm and dry summer where I live.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

A couple of critters I happened across in Mexico

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ExecuDork posted:

I don't know what this mite might be.
Canada 151 Bioblitz 0005 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

This is a velvet mite. The early stages are parasites on insects, and later stages are predators that live in soil and leaf litter.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Vakal posted:

Yesterday my cat was causing a fuss in the woods behind my house so I went to take a look and he had some sort of rodent cornered under a tree. I managed to get a picture before it ran away.

I thought it was just a regular gray squirrel at first since it was the right size and had a fluffy tail, but looking at the picture it had an elongated nose which none of the squirrels I've ever seen around here have. Also, it seemed intent on staying on the ground instead of just climbing a tree and getting away.

Searching online, it looks a lot like the Perny's Long-nosed squirrel, but all the information I can find on them say they are only found in Asia and I'm in Canada.

Looks like it could be a numbat. But why you would see one of them in Canada is beyond me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbat

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What's this? Friend though it was some sort of Carabidae, but I don't think so. Head, legs and antennas are too thick and the scutella is too prominent.

Edit: Sorry - found in southern Sweden, about 4 cm long. Looks like a Cerambycidae to me - might it be P. coriarius?

anatomi fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 24, 2018

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

anatomi posted:

What's this? Friend though it was some sort of Carabidae, but I don't think so. Head, legs and antennas are too thick and the scutella is too prominent.

Edit: Sorry - found in southern Sweden, about 4 cm long. Looks like a Cerambycidae to me - might it be P. coriarius?

I think that's a solid guess. It's def Prionus unless Europe has some lookalike genera.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

anatomi posted:

Definitely Prionus coriarius. Taggbock in Swedish. Cool find, they’re gorgeous!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So, a few weeks ago a critter got into my outdoor nesting box and ate a couple dozen of my pupas. The sole survivor just emerged today, big pretty female Eacles imperialis.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
This is my favorite thread

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

So pretty!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slo-Tek posted:

So, a few weeks ago a critter got into my outdoor nesting box and ate a couple dozen of my pupas. The sole survivor just emerged today, big pretty female Eacles imperialis.

Aw, sorry to hear about that. What sort of protections do you have around your outdoor boxes, do you have pictures of the enclosures themselves?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Hey I wanna give this thread a new title, give me some suggestions!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Critterquest 2018: We Forgot to Make a New Thread

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I've always thought that Duke of Cornwall was a pretty good title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

OneTwentySix posted:

I've always thought that Duke of Cornwall was a pretty good title.

hey "Duke of Burgundy" is an actual critter if we're going that route!