Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Push El Burrito posted:

Hello I am reading through the Ultimate line.

Whoever made that glass will never have to worry about anything for the rest of their lives

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Really, wouldn't you expect more buildings to have reinforced or bullet resistant windows in the marvel universe? Peter only has himself to blame.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Fisk's face in that last panel is prime avatar material.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He had one dream when he bought that window, and it just came true.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

UnfurledSails posted:

That is the face of a man who appreciates money well-spent.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Really, wouldn't you expect more buildings to have reinforced or bullet resistant windows in the marvel universe? Peter only has himself to blame.

Not really, the construction and architectural businesses must be making bank from constantly getting contracts to rebuild buildings demolished by The Hulk punching Dr. Doom into a skyscraper. Are they really going to plan to lose money by making a superhero-proof building?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Friend, let me tell you about a little comic called "Damage Control"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

Not really, the construction and architectural businesses must be making bank from constantly getting contracts to rebuild buildings demolished by The Hulk punching Dr. Doom into a skyscraper. Are they really going to plan to lose money by making a superhero-proof building?

Resistant. Superhero-resistant. A window that shrugs off Spider-man like a bee on the windscreen of a Kenworth, may not be able to withstand seventy tons of Hulkbuster armor, or indeed, a glancing blow from the Power Cosmic. We can do that for you, too, but it's a matter of, how much are you willing to pay?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Phy posted:

Resistant. Superhero-resistant. A window that shrugs off Spider-man like a bee on the windscreen of a Kenworth, may not be able to withstand seventy tons of Hulkbuster armor, or indeed, a glancing blow from the Power Cosmic. We can do that for you, too, but it's a matter of, how much are you willing to pay?

Sure, buddy, 99% of the time it's gonna be Spider-Man, but really, what's that other 1% worth? To know that when that big dragon in the boxing trunks comes back, you're going to be the only building left with intact windows? I can tell you I'd pay a lot for that kind of peace of mind. But don't let me pressure you, just read these pamphlets and think about it. You've got our number? Great.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

purple death ray posted:

Sure, buddy, 99% of the time it's gonna be Spider-Man, but really, what's that other 1% worth? To know that when that big dragon in the boxing trunks comes back, you're going to be the only building left with intact windows? I can tell you I'd pay a lot for that kind of peace of mind. But don't let me pressure you, just read these pamphlets and think about it. You've got our number? Great.

Cut to a "Later..." shot of the entire area in rubble, with the windows shining pristine. Shame about the rest of the building.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Bruceski posted:

Cut to a "Later..." shot of the entire area in rubble, with the windows shining pristine. Shame about the rest of the building.

"People in glass houses'' soon takes on a whole new meaning.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

UnfurledSails posted:

honestly the situation made me just kind of snort and roll my eyes. then i got sight of fisk's smile and i lost it completely.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bruceski posted:

This is the TV commercial, actually. Someone like D-Man sees the pane sitting in the rubble and remarks on how strong that glass must be. Then like The Shocker is being cuffed and thrown into the paddy wagon and he yells out "drat you, Superhero Resistant Glass!" and D-Man chuckles and says "And it's super villain resistant, too!" before the logo and phone numbers come up on the screen.

I think we could aim a little higher than D-Man, maybe we can get Hawkeye? No, the other Hawkeye, we can't afford her.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I mean, how often does Fisk even have to worry about Hulk-level heroes? Spider-man is probably the top level strength person he has to face regularly. Add Osborn, Mr. Negative, and other business villains and you got yourself a retirement fund.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
It's only Spider-Man resistant because it's Spider-Man swinging down and knocking against it. If he's got room to brace himself, then you're in real trouble.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

This is everything about the Superman/Luthor dynamic to me:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

purple death ray posted:

This is the TV commercial, actually. Someone like D-Man sees the pane sitting in the rubble and remarks on how strong that glass must be. Then like The Shocker is being cuffed and thrown into the paddy wagon and he yells out "drat you, Superhero Resistant Glass!" and D-Man chuckles and says "And it's super villain resistant, too!" before the logo and phone numbers come up on the screen.

I think we could aim a little higher than D-Man, maybe we can get Hawkeye? No, the other Hawkeye, we can't afford her.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hero-proof glass doesn't mean anything unless it's reinforced with the frame. Otherwise that super strong pane of glass is just gonna come out of that frame as one nice big expensive piece.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LifeLynx posted:

There's a great bit in the first season of Daredevil where the bad guys (property developers!) learn that there is a new hero in town, and one of them goes,"That's great, he'll wreck up the city fighting crime and we'll make bank putting it back together!"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Lobok posted:

Hero-proof glass doesn't mean anything unless it's reinforced with the frame. Otherwise that super strong pane of glass is just gonna come out of that frame as one nice big expensive piece.
Kingpin strike you as the kind of guy to skimp on the details like that? :allears: That smile.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Kingpin strike you as the kind of guy to skimp on the details like that? :allears: That smile.

For sure, Kingpin is a smart and wealthy man. I'm just talking in general for everybody else.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

purple death ray posted:

*Shot of children playing on a beautiful suburban lawn*
*Housewife, attractive but not quite MILF age, looks at them smiling
*Sounds of combat in the distance
Housewife shouts, “Kids, get in here now.”
Kids run inside and hide behind couch
*Exterior: We see Luke Cage fighting Black Manta, and the fight gets closer (shut up, I couldn’t think of a Marvel black super villain, and it’s always black guys in these commercials)
Housewife: “Behind the couch, now!”
Black Manta lifts his trident and blasts Luke Cage through the window, and the shot freezes a second before he slams into the couch the kids are now behind.
Shot rewinds, Black Manta blasts Luke Cage into the window, which he bounces off of. Housewife, hugging her children, smiles
Narrator: “Peace of mind can be priceless.”
Stark logo and 800 number appear on the screen.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

lmao that Supes just hoping there would be some bullshit forcefields so he doesn't turn Lex into a thin red smear.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Who What Now posted:

lmao that Supes just hoping there would be some bullshit forcefields so he doesn't turn Lex into a thin red smear.

With Lex there's always some bullshit forcefields

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Lobok posted:

Clearly these are conversations that have already happened around the Marvel offices, and made it into the comics.

Not funny, so rather than post it as such I'll just link to stone cold Frank doing his stone cold thing.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 20, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"That's how Kryptonians reproduce, I thought everyone knew that. What do you earth-people mean when you say that you're horny?"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ImpAtom posted:

"That's how Kryptonians reproduce, I thought everyone knew that. What do you earth-people mean when you say that you're horny?"

"It has pincers. Why does it have pincers?"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

"Unexpectedly"

Well, they ain't wrong.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Yond Cassius posted:

Clearly these are conversations that have already happened around the Marvel universe, and made it into the comics.

Not funny, so rather than post it as such I'll just link to stone cold Frank doing his stone cold thing.

What the hell is wrong with people that write this poo poo

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Ennis

And that woman really, really, really had it coming.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ugh, I should've known. Not going to touch the other half of that.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

For context, that's from The Slavers, an arc about Punisher dismantling an eastern European sex slave ring. That lady is the one in charge of of the girls they kidnap.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Wapole Languray posted:

For context, that's from The Slavers, an arc about Punisher dismantling an eastern European sex slave ring. That lady is the one in charge of of the girls they kidnap.

Specifically, she’s the one who tells the dudes they should rape all the women nonstop until they’re compliant. Not going to get into the “which violence is worse” argument, but she is an unrepentantly evil woman.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, sure, I’m sure she is. The thing is, she doesn’t exist, Ennis wrote her. And the sex ring, and the programmatic rape, and the big quippy comeuppance that they’re used to justify. She “has it coming” because Ennis wrote her to. It’s a circle of self-justifying torture wank. The desert of torture, the rape, all of it exists because it’s what he wants to depict.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 20, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Yond Cassius posted:

It's only Spider-Man resistant because it's Spider-Man swinging down and knocking against it. If he's got room to brace himself, then you're in real trouble.

so i've seen this page once or twice now and i'm curious what MJ screwed up here, can someone provide context

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coolguye posted:

so i've seen this page once or twice now and i'm curious what MJ screwed up here, can someone provide context

At the time Peter was part of the Avengers but of course Peter has a secret identity so nobody knows. MJ got spotted in Avengers Tower with Tony Stark and tabloids reported it as her having an affair with him. Wolverine was trying to rile Peter up so Peter would blow off steam on Wolverine because he knew he could take it.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, sure, I’m sure she is. The thing is, she doesn’t exist, Ennis wrote her. And the sex ring, and the programmatic rape, and the big quippy comeuppance that they’re used to justify. She “has it coming” because Ennis wrote her to. It’s a circle of self-justifying torture wank. The desert of torture, the rape, all of it exists because it’s what he wants to depict.

Most fictional characters don't exist.

I mean, I don't really see what you are saying here. A writer wrote a thing because he wanted to write it?

If what you're trying to say is that it's tasteless or you don't like the Punisher as a whole on principle, I can understand where you're coming from. But "The fictional character only did a bad thing because she's a fictional character" is a weird way to put that. The whole thing of The Punisher is that he punishes people, who are written to have done things "worth" punishing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Today's Judge Parker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Discendo Vox posted:

Also part of that story is The Punisher admitting that he's broken, hosed up psychopath and what he does doesn't really help.