Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

Did it just *throatslit* the camera???

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ContraBoss posted:

Did it just *throatslit* the camera???

Thats how you know he's an enemy and not a friendly crab friend

Lockwell
Mar 31, 2010

Danke schon, na na, Danke schon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo5UhRcUpSM

If you ever wondered what it looked like to be a crab.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Shot in portrait, shame crab.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Any good artists here? I want a new tattoo and I'd love to get a crab tat. Specifically a pacific red rock crab tat of with him throwing up the claws in a mildly stylized manner.

Arms spread like this to give a pinch but with out the scummy human hand.

Help my dream come true.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ekuNNN posted:

Thats how you know he's an enemy and not a friendly crab friend

ah yes, aldruhn

e: crab-fest-under-skar is one of the best cornerclubs, period.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LingcodKilla posted:

Any good artists here? I want a new tattoo and I'd love to get a crab tat. Specifically a pacific red rock crab tat of with him throwing up the claws in a mildly stylized manner.

Help my dream come true.

Where on your body?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Where on your body?

Upper belly. Basically right under my heart.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

why can't the air force let the crab and shark be friends in peace

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
crab struck first, look at all those heroic pilots trapped underwater now

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

Help my dream come true.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

LingcodKilla posted:

Help my dream come true.

The best recommendation I can make is to find a tattoo artist you like and commission their work. Good luck in your search, crab-friend!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some fun crab tattoos :3:

and also this for the person in your life who loves crabs but has absolutely zero taste:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lol those claws remind me of

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:siren: BREAKING: :siren: Eugene has new hat

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

my cat is norris posted:

The best recommendation I can make is to find a tattoo artist you like and commission their work. Good luck in your search, crab-friend!

The hardest part is is communicating to an artist. Having a rough out general idea to bring in worked for my prior tats. Though the goofy red crab that vieled posted my actually work for the general positioning. I'll just go crabbing and bring the artist a crab to study too. That worked for my lingcod tattoo.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

The hardest part is is communicating to an artist. Having a rough out general idea to bring in worked for my prior tats. Though the goofy red crab that vieled posted my actually work for the general positioning. I'll just go crabbing and bring the artist a crab to study too. That worked for my lingcod tattoo.

That took me six hours in ms paint you son of a bitch

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LingcodKilla posted:

I'll just go crabbing and bring the artist a crab to study too. That worked for my lingcod tattoo.

Thats the correct way to do it. If I had a fuckin dime for every anatomically incorrect insect I've seen tattooed on someone's skin I'd be rich.

Well I dunno about rich, but I'd have at least seven dollars

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

veiled boner fuel posted:

That took me six hours in ms paint you son of a bitch

Lol

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

A tragic, :nws: crab tale from the olden days.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mak0rz posted:

:perfect:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

eugene owns bones

Miss you, friend :(

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Man, Neptune is a dick.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
From my Philly Punk days I can tell you that a loving metric shitload of Maryland punks have badass crab tattoos, it’s definitely a sign of love/respect for the homeland.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

ContraBoss posted:

eugene owns bones

Miss you, friend :(

I'm here. Train liked the name so I picked it. :3:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wild T posted:

I like to call it Lost Wages!

You gotta get those ants and radioactive waste to the dump!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Crabs are cool and fun. Me and my ex girlfriend put some in a bucket and brought it back to our caravan when we went on holiday - I guess we wanted pets or something but for the life of I don't know why I'd do something so dumb. We put freshwater in there to keep them wet. We were loving morons. A lot of them died and I felt like a complete monster about it. She was stupid and I was too and I'll never stop feeling guilty about it

My fiance would not torture a crab and I am smarter than that these days so I'm in a good place. People can change

Oh let me not forget my essential Crab Story

When I was a kid, say like 6 years old maybe, we had a fishtank full of tigerbarbs (I almost wrote tigerfish but they're scary fuckers - look them up and enjoy the nightmares) and plecostomus. My dad thought it was a good idea to buy some crabs, small ones, to put in the tank.

So away he went, dropped those suckers in, me and my sister watched them be cool crabs until a fish got too close and BLAP the crab just cut the fuckers in half. It was a massacre and I just remember the fishtank filling up with blood and I had a massive hatred of crabs for a while. I don't now though. Thanks.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 20, 2018

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Songbearer posted:

Crabs are cool and fun. Me and my ex girlfriend put some in a bucket and brought it back to our caravan when we went on holiday - I guess we wanted pets or something but for the life of I don't know why I'd do something so dumb. We put freshwater in there to keep them wet. We were loving morons. A lot of them died and I felt like a complete monster about it. She was stupid and I was too and I'll never stop feeling guilty about it

My fiance would not torture a crab and I am smarter than that these days so I'm in a good place. People can change

No worries, friend. Many a crab have met their untimely demise, thanks to me, mostly stemming from my ignorance and neglect when I was younger. Nowadays, I try to make up for it in small amounts by educating people about crabs, especially pet crabs, and sharing how awesome they are in general. Definitely some of the most intelligent creatures among arthropods.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
In 1910, Robert Falcon Scott's expedition to Antarctica stopped at uninhabited South Trinidad island to do research on the wildlife there. Aspley Cherry Garrard was on the expedition and in his book "The Worst Journey in the World" he has diary accounts of the guys who went on the island:

"The crabs gathered round us in a circle,with their eyes turning towards us - as if they were waiting for us to die to come and eat us. One big fellow left his place in the circle and waddled up to my feet and examined my boots. First with one claw and then with the other he took a taste of my boot. He went away obviously disgusted : one could almost see him shake his head."

"The land-crabs are little short of a nightmare. They peep out at you from every nook and boulder. Their dead staring eyes follow your every step as if to say, ' If only you will drop down we will do the rest.' To lie down and sleep on any part of the island would be suicidal. Of course, Knight had a specially cleared place with all sorts of precautions, otherwise he would never have survived these beasts, which even tried to nibble your boots as you stood — staring hard at you the whole time. One feature that would soon send a lonely man off his chump is that no matter how many are in sight they are all looking at you, and they follow step by step with a sickly deliberation. They are all yellow and pink, and next to spiders seem the most loathsome creatures on God's earth."

Can't sleep. Crabs'll eat me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You eat them before they eat you duh.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Can I get in on this here crab thread?

I’ve had bunches as pets, hermits as a kid, a bunch in grad school, including what I think was a Chilean shore crab, fiddler crabs, Halloween crabs, and watermelon fiddler crabs. Also some of the regular pet store red claws and a few that I think were tiger/leopard, something like that (pet store recommendations did not end well on that one :( would love to try all of that again but availability in warmer climates seems to be curtailed over concerns about release into the natural habitat, it seems.

I also have several crab tattoos, because they’re rad and I’m weird.

Edit: only remaining picture of all of those mentioned above: https://m.imgur.com/a/mggIfim

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 21, 2018

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Can I get in on this here crab thread?

I’ve had bunches as pets, hermits as a kid, a bunch in grad school, including what I think was a Chilean shore crab, fiddler crabs, Halloween crabs, and watermelon fiddler crabs. Also some of the regular pet store red claws and a few that I think were tiger/leopard, something like that (pet store recommendations did not end well on that one :( would love to try all of that again but availability in warmer climates seems to be curtailed over concerns about release into the natural habitat, it seems.

I also have several crab tattoos, because they’re rad and I’m weird.

Edit: only remaining picture of all of those mentioned above: https://m.imgur.com/a/mggIfim

Hell yeah, welcome! That’s a good crabber there :cheers:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxNoa7yoAt4

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Random crab factoid stuff:

One of the neatest things I ever saw about crabs was a group of scientists/mathematicians who figured out that crabs’ legs work according to a mathematical formula, which is how they are so maneuverable (omni-directional but also hard to take down). They were looking at making mechanized versions, I think, it was on Netflix or something a while back, not finding anything for it now though.

Also, has anyone ever been on a beach boardwalk around mudflats at low tide? I did once or twice in/near Charleston and hundreds/thousands of fiddler crabs moving in unison makes a very impressive and distinct sound.

And Planet Earth 2 has some great crab stuff too, except for the update on Christmas Island. Those invasive ants can go to hell :(

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
You bought both, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004