Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

well if that's the case, maybe they did do something wrong after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Nah all the Megacorps are totally just rebranded Grunders. All of them. They all think they're the only survivors of the purge though so the entire lead up to AC3 was just high level Belkan operatives in CEO positions loving each other over without realizing it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ace Combat 7: My Trigger is penile units in shitholes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfRByopXiAI&t=45s

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Using unmanned drones in terrorist attacks and stealing the single largest piece of infrastructure in the world that toke the combined effort and resources of entire continent worth of countries to build. I think Osea is a little justified in bombing their enemy back to the stone-age until they're forced to give it back, at least in my opinion.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kibayasu posted:

They really should have gone with a different name for Osea or Usea.

So Osea is building a space elevator in Usea and Erusea (Christ that’s not much better now that I think about it) thinks Osea is going to use that as a pretense to the invade Usea so Erusea invades Osea and also takes over the elevator which is kind of invading Usea.

And Usea is just kind of sitting by there I guess.

Yeah it's kind of hilarious. These are the deeply meaningful names that many Ace Combat fans demand, no substitutes :v:

They do this all the time, though sometimes it's not quite this bad. In 6 we had Emmeria and Estovakia - sure both E names but at least they're different enough in pronunciation. Osea Usea Erusea though? No wonder Belka was always the bad guys - that's the name which is different enough you won't mistake them for anyone else.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Psion posted:

Yeah it's kind of hilarious. These are the deeply meaningful names that many Ace Combat fans demand, no substitutes :v:

They do this all the time, though sometimes it's not quite this bad. In 6 we had Emmeria and Estovakia - sure both E names but at least they're different enough in pronunciation. Osea Usea Erusea though? No wonder Belka was always the bad guys - that's the name which is different enough you won't mistake them for anyone else.

Yeah the enormous similarity in the three names strikes me as a bit daffy, at least in 6 the two names bore obvious linguistic influences and were distinct enough to not be easily confused.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also in preparation for Ace Combat 7, Namco just released the full lore book for Ace Combat 04 in PDF format. It's all in Japanese and it's largely just a complied version of the old AC04 website, but it's still something.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I happen to be fluent in Japanese and it’s 54 pages detailing how Belka did nothing wrong.

What’s the over under on the fan base being crazy enough to translate that sucker?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Warbird posted:

I happen to be fluent in Japanese and it’s 54 pages detailing how Belka did nothing wrong.

What’s the over under on the fan base being crazy enough to translate that sucker?

I wouldn’t put it past them. The Ace Combat community has quite a few folks in it who’ve done nothing but translate obscure background lore that PA puts out for the series. And like I said earlier, it appeared to be a compiled version of the old AC04 website, which has been translated to hell and back already.

Also, Ace Combat 7 received a ratings classification from the Australian government. Historically speaking, this tends to mean that a release is imminent as the Australian gov’t usually holds off until the last possible second before giving a game a content rating akin to PEGI or ESRB. I’m sure 7 will find some way to subvert this, but we’ll see...

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
This is an Ace Combat game; there's like a 1% chance the space elevator doesn't have some kind of OseanBelkan sunray-focusing superweapon.

VKing fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 23, 2018

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

The real Belkan superweapon this game is You. how do you think you became part of the penal squadron? It's simple you're Belkan

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, Ace Combat 7 received a ratings classification from the Australian government. Historically speaking, this tends to mean that a release is imminent as the Australian gov’t usually holds off until the last possible second before giving a game a content rating akin to PEGI or ESRB. I’m sure 7 will find some way to subvert this, but we’ll see...

PEGI takes its time recently. On the PSVR side of things we're drooling over the RB6 Siege-like game Firewall, currently rated everywhere but effin PEGI. When that board presents the rating, it's time to prepare the party.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Project Wingman just put out a new version of their Kickstarter demo featuring a prototype of their Conquest Mode game mode. I'm downloading it now so haven't played it yet, but should be interesting!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I played a little bit of it. From what I can tell it's a gradually escalating difficulty mode (the 'alert level' rises as you fly missions, clock is paused between them) where you try to hit your score target and make money as fast as you can so you can upgrade your own plane / hire allied planes to handle the harder missions.

it says "this is very early, work in progress, things may change/be broken/everything" about 300 times so it's more a concept than anything but it's flyable. you liberate territory and maybe in the future you can do stuff with that territory (construct things?) but right now, it's just a series of fairly barebones A2A missions with score attack objectives.

also, B-52s have tailguns. The more you know!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Back Hack posted:

Using unmanned drones in terrorist attacks and stealing the single largest piece of infrastructure in the world that toke the combined effort and resources of entire continent worth of countries to build. I think Osea is a little justified in bombing their enemy back to the stone-age until they're forced to give it back, at least in my opinion.

I wouldn't say they're justified but war sucks.

Also, from the phrasing I wouldn't be surprised if Erusean military facilities are deliberately located in cities.

Though of course even if they weren't Osean would use a sledgehammer because they can.

destitute
May 1, 2002
It's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward.
Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

also, B-52s have tailguns. The more you know!

They’re credited with a handful of air to air kills because of that turret! When I was in, I worked with a former B52 crew chief who had all sorts of stories. The turret got pulled out sometime in the 90s after the first Gulf War though, something to do with the fire control radar causing a HARM to hit a B52.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

destitute posted:

They’re credited with a handful of air to air kills because of that turret! When I was in, I worked with a former B52 crew chief who had all sorts of stories. The turret got pulled out sometime in the 90s after the first Gulf War though, something to do with the fire control radar causing a HARM to hit a B52.

look up the story of the B-52 named "In HARM's Way" and you'll have all the details - basically yes, a Wild Weasel Phantom shot a HARM which locked up on the turret radar, but from what I also read the turrets were pulled for cost savings over a year later, so it wasn't directly due to that. Could've been a factor, I dunno.

but I bet that crew chief had some great stories :v:

destitute
May 1, 2002
It's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward.
Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

look up the story of the B-52 named "In HARM's Way" and you'll have all the details - basically yes, a Wild Weasel Phantom shot a HARM which locked up on the turret radar, but from what I also read the turrets were pulled for cost savings over a year later, so it wasn't directly due to that. Could've been a factor, I dunno.

but I bet that crew chief had some great stories :v:

I’ll have to check that out. Must’ve been a poo poo day for the crew on that BUFF. Was the bombing from the B-52 enjoyable in Wingman? I can only recall a few missions in any of the Ace Combat and maybe one of the Tom Clancy games where you flew a dedicated bombing platform. The descriptions of bombing runs from that crew chief have instilled a desire to see it in video game form; World in Conflict’s air strikes were as close as I’ve seen.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

oh, I meant the enemy B-52s. As in they were shooting me when I thought I'd line up an easy rear-aspect kill :v:

I have no idea if playable bombers are in Wingman's scope. I found them to be reasonably entertaining in AH capital conquest, but that's because you didn't see them very often so the novelty didn't wear off.

WIC's support options are probably the closest you'll get in a videogame I know of. Those were well crafted.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Hey what's up theres a new website

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Does not work in all browsers, had to switch to Edge. Pretty. Still listed as coming this year, pay no attention to the 2019 date on the boxart. BelkaNamco hopefully doesn't equate fiscal year 2018 with actual 2018.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

if they do not give me back my beloved mig-21 and mig-31 i might skip this game tbh

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am gonna cry if gets pushed back to 2019. Straight up weeping.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

I am gonna cry if gets pushed back to 2019. Straight up weeping.

At this point it would not surprise me one bit if it’s slipped to 2019. The window to announce a 2018 release date is closing more and more as the days roll on. TGS 2018 starts September 19th this year, so if it comes and goes and there’s STILL no release date, then it’s skipping 2018.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 19, 2018

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

lol if Project Wingman releases before AC7

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LostCosmonaut posted:

lol if Project Wingman releases before AC7

Funnily enough the $80+ Kickstarter backer reward survey was sent out yesterday. So the folks who pledged the Be In The Game tier support itt should check their emails if they haven't done so in a while.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

Funnily enough the $80+ Kickstarter backer reward survey was sent out yesterday. So the folks who pledged the Be In The Game tier support itt should check their emails if they haven't done so in a while.

did you put your name in as DJ Canada in the hopes of being DJ Zed 2.0

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

sick, thanks for the reminder

Now I have to decide whether to put my real name or some other poo poo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I've been replaying AC6 on a nostalgia kick and it's, actually, really good? It's the only AC I've played aside from Horizon :v: The script is truly godawful but you can just skip the cutscenes and I really enjoy how sprawling and alive the battlefields feel. Now I'm gonna replay Horizon and see if it's secretly good too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ac6 had poor missions compared to previous entries and an absolutely craptacular selection of planes, in addition to the story being shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. the ps2 games are better in every single way.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

IM@S

otherwise yes, completely correct

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

The one thing i really liked about AC6 was the operations system, it was a very neat way to introduce larger land,sea,and air battles i just wish there were more operations per level and that i could complete all of them and not 2 out of 3 or 4 out of 6

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Assault Horizon is not secretly good, it’s unsecretly bad

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tythas posted:

I just wish that i could complete all of them and not 2 out of 3 or 4 out of 6

:yeah: I want to blow up all of the planes.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Tythas posted:

The one thing i really liked about AC6 was the operations system, it was a very neat way to introduce larger land,sea,and air battles i just wish there were more operations per level and that i could complete all of them and not 2 out of 3 or 4 out of 6

Agreed but it does make it marginally more fun to replay cause you can do the ones you haven't done before.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

I found out that the F-15E Pixy is pretty OP for most of the missions if you used the cluster bombs (whose spread changed based on speed of release)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

ac6 had poor missions compared to previous entries and an absolutely craptacular selection of planes, in addition to the story being shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. the ps2 games are better in every single way.

Oh. Well congratulations on somehow playing Heavy Command Cruiser with a bucket on your head then.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Seriously, Aigaion and the liberation of terribly named capital city were loving awesome. AC6 is unironically good.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Seriously, Aigaion and the liberation of terribly named capital city were loving awesome. AC6 is unironically good.

It's called loving gracemeria you son of a bitch. Also doing Aigaion in the F-15 with UGBL lets you do the whole rear end mission in like 3 minutes flat. You use the "cover me" wingman super action to make your bros murder strigon team and you just huck bombs at the stupid rear end loving air whale planes and it 100% decimates them in 1 or 2 hits. Aigaion takes maybe 10 bombs.

AC6 is my favorite AC by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Assault Horizon is not secretly good, it’s unsecretly bad

what about the soundtrack tho