Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

KaosMachina posted:

Yes. And them deciding to launch that nuke they have that gave them 'legitimacy'.

Nick Fury Jr., because he wanted someone he had plausible deniability with to take out Not!Kim Jong Un
It also goes about as well as you expect when he gets done with them and comes back.

I guess doing a horror survival comic where you're a poo poo c-list villain being hunted by a monster like Frank would make for an interesting take. But am I the only one thinking that Punisher is pretty close to probably being just "should be straight up dead for a really long time until next universe reboot"? What with how Blue Lives Matter co-opt his skull for their use, him being a NotNazi Sympathizer/assassin for them, I really don't see a point other than him being a Death Wish fantasy type character that more and more people that are racist and prejudiced hold as one of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The Punisher’s always sucked. Worse than Ben Grimm by a racist murderous mile.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jiro posted:

I guess doing a horror survival comic where you're a poo poo c-list villain being hunted by a monster like Frank would make for an interesting take. But am I the only one thinking that Punisher is pretty close to probably being just "should be straight up dead for a really long time until next universe reboot"? What with how Blue Lives Matter co-opt his skull for their use, him being a NotNazi Sympathizer/assassin for them, I really don't see a point other than him being a Death Wish fantasy type character that more and more people that are racist and prejudiced hold as one of their own.

You should really watch the Netflix show

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Hey I heard somebody say earlier that they like when Spider-Man cuts loose so here's how Spider-Man reacts to Rhino kidnapping his kid in Amazing Spider-Man - Renew Your Vows #11

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TwoPair posted:

Hey I heard somebody say earlier that they like when Spider-Man cuts loose so here's how Spider-Man reacts to Rhino kidnapping his kid in Amazing Spider-Man - Renew Your Vows #11

But... but the devil?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

KaosMachina posted:

Yes. And them deciding to launch that nuke they have that gave them 'legitimacy'.

Nick Fury Jr., because he wanted someone he had plausible deniability with to take out Not!Kim Jong Un
It also goes about as well as you expect when he gets done with them and comes back.

Why were they even letting Scourge play poker with them in the first place. Every Scourge has been a huge dick who kills other villains.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

You should really watch the Netflix show

I have, as far as Marvel Netflix shows go I rank it above Iron Fist. Barely.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Calaveron posted:

But... but the devil?

Other universe.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Why were they even letting Scourge play poker with them in the first place. Every Scourge has been a huge dick who kills other villains.

Why do you think they throw him out of the van?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Lurdiak posted:

He has an easy tell.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Angry violent Spider-Man is the best Spider-Man.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wonder if anyone in the Marvel universe has caught on that when Spider-man stops making jokes, either something is seriously wrong or it is time to run. Likely both.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Hello Professor Xavier, yeah could you just check to see if Peter's really mad or just mind controlled?"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Unlucky7 posted:

I wonder if anyone in the Marvel universe has caught on that when Spider-man stops making jokes, either something is seriously wrong or it is time to run. Likely both.

Doc Ock did in one of the cartoons.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jiro posted:

I have, as far as Marvel Netflix shows go I rank it above Iron Fist. Barely.

lol oh for sure man

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat, he really likes Iron Fist

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

So is Spidey's secret identity known in Renew Your Vows?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

drat, he really likes Iron Fist

I liked a lot of the fight scenes! And Franken-Faramir
:( Plus there's a massively wide margin of quality between something like the first season of Jessica Jones and it's writing and tone vs Punisher, it's freaking night and day. You have the cream of the crop in first season Daredevil and Jessica Jones, then just slightly below that with Luke Cage and second season Daredevil then just a massive drop in quality with Punisher and another rung below that for Iron Fist.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Supposedly Iron Fist S2 will be a lot better, as they got the fight choreographer from Black Panther doing it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you want more Iron Fist, he's currently showing up in the newspaper Spider-Man strips.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Infinitum posted:

Supposedly Iron Fist S2 will be a lot better, as they got the fight choreographer from Black Panther doing it.

The choreography wasn't the problem, the ax men in the hallway scene and the drunken master are examples of that. The problem is the main characters couldn't fight so the editors had to do tons of cutaways to hide that, and when that happens you don't need to know martial arts to know the actors can't fight. Plus the guy who played Iron Fist wasn't a good actor, either.

Shoulda hired the guy who played the drunken master to be Iron Fist like the internet and he wanted.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Iron Fist comes off a lot better in Luke Cage S2. They seem to have revamped his character to be "Luke's cool rich friend", though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

So is Spidey's secret identity known in Renew Your Vows?

No, but his daughter has powers and is fighting crime with him in a spider-themed costume so it's not hard for bad guys to put two and two together.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Android Blues posted:

Iron Fist comes off a lot better in Luke Cage S2. They seem to have revamped his character to be "Luke's cool rich friend", though.

The choreography there was still pretty bad for him. I know you can't go all IP Man but you could at least lean on the "this guy is supposed to be a martial art master" and show off a little more technical prowess. His attittude/character seemed more light hearted and fun, which is a big improvement.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Senju Kannon posted:

The choreography wasn't the problem, the ax men in the hallway scene and the drunken master are examples of that. The problem is the main characters couldn't fight so the editors had to do tons of cutaways to hide that, and when that happens you don't need to know martial arts to know the actors can't fight. Plus the guy who played Iron Fist wasn't a good actor, either.

A good fight choreographer and a good director can make crappy fighting look halfway decent. Finn Jones not knowing how to fight wouldn't have been half as big an issue if the showrunner knew how to film fights, but it's very obvious he did not. Like it's painfully clear Jones had a hoodie on in the fight with the drunken master so they could have someone else do the fighting in half the shots (hey, maybe he should wear a mask or something so they can do that all the time, like Daredevil???), but that fight still ended up looking like crap because whoever was filming and editing had no idea what they were doing.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Infinitum posted:

The fight choreography was the literal weakest part of that movie.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jiro posted:

I liked a lot of the fight scenes! And Franken-Faramir
:( Plus there's a massively wide margin of quality between something like the first season of Jessica Jones and it's writing and tone vs Punisher, it's freaking night and day. You have the cream of the crop in first season Daredevil and Jessica Jones, then just slightly below that with Luke Cage and second season Daredevil then just a massive drop in quality with Punisher and another rung below that for Iron Fist.
I have to disagree with placing Luke Cage (Season One) so high. Every episode had both Luke and at least one other black character giving a speech full of platitudes, which just killed the momentum. Also, the suspense was weak outside the special bullets. OK, he’s invulnerable? There’s a bunch of other ways to get at him. And while that did happen a couple of times, there were a lot of scenes merely showing off how strong and invulnerable he was, and that just lacked any drama. Entire episodes seemed to lack any meaningful conflict or suspense.

But the worst part, at least as it appeared to me, whenever the show got provocative or actually looked at the problems of poverty and drugs, it pulled up. It seemed to me that the writers really wanted to make sure the audience knew they were woke and on the “right side.” That was the weak play. For example, the one intro where the band is performing to Cottonmouth: as a non-black watcher, I felt uncomfortable listening to the lyrics and watching the performance/interaction between the band and Cottonmouth. Making someone with privilege feel uncomfortable without being preached at in a show theoretically about race, poverty, and related issues is a great thing, both artistically and politically. But moments like that were all too rare.

I was going to argue that DD S2 needed to be ranked higher, specifically because of the Punisher, but then I remembered the hallway fight in DD S1, which is an ace in the trump suit in any discussion of these shows.

e:

Patrick Spens posted:

The CGI rhinoceroses were the literal weakest part of that movie.
FTFY

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 20, 2018

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Infinitum posted:

If you're going to get a fight choreographer for a show about mystical chi wielding martial artists, you get someone from the Yuen Woo Ping team or you shell out the big money and get Sammo Hung to choreograph poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
punisher/jj s1 tied for first
cage s2

after that it gets weird cuz like dd s2 but only the first half and cage s1 but only the first half

dd s1
jj s2

defenders

iron fist

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Daredevil Season 1 should be higher on that list if only because holy poo poo did Vincent D'Onofrio play the hell out of Fisk.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The second half of DD S2 drags it down to Defenders/Iron Fist level, imo

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Can't let the first page of the Badass Panels thread go by without putting in the most badass of badass.

From Weird Fantasy #18, published in 1953.

still good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Elfface posted:

Doc Ock did in one of the cartoons.

When Doc Ock got into Peter's body for awhile, the first time he punched somebody he took their jaw off, and he has this horrified moment when he realizes that all the years he was fighting Spidey, Spidey was holding back.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I want the Marvel Netflix shows to be 8 episodes long

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

poly and open-minded posted:

Yeah. I slogged through LC s2 (though it ended very well and I like the hook for next season), then I watched GLOW and the difference in pacing is stark. GLOW loving moves, and it's also ~30ish minutes per ep.
LC episodes are like 50 minutes at a minimum, sometimes going past an hour.

Also the Netflix stuff is just so dour, MCU movies are almost all action comedies

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

poly and open-minded posted:

Like Defenders.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lurdiak posted:

Like Defenders.

Defenders was gonna suck regardless of how many episodes it was, but even the best of the Netflix Marvel shows have felt 3-4 episodes too long.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think the problem is more each episode is 10-20 minutes too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I don't know how they made a Ninjas Take Over The City With A Secret Apocalypse plot boring as hell, but they managed it