Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

somebody needs to team up with jeep or hummer and make a laptop to swing the pendulum

HP Spectre Denali

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Imagine if you will a Macbook Pro that is as thick as the 2011 models and has a proportionally bigger battery, cooling system, and a Geforce 1060 equivalent.

It would be hailed as THE LAPTOP FOR TRUE CREATIVE PROFESSIONALS and not posers who just browse facebook.

Make Apple Great Again

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If they just updated the 13" Macbook Air with a WQHD screen it would be my perfect laptop.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

etalian posted:

Even the new Apple Macbook Pro has a issue with throttling.

Apparently having a i9 and GPU running full blast is really changing to thermally control for the thin 15" laptops.

There's only so much heat you can expell from a tiny object with very little surface area

There's a reason why great big fugly gaming laptops are big and fugly

99.97% of the time, when you aren't doing VR games it's not problem though

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I wish laptop manufacturers would stop going down the thinnest-possible route.

I would much rather have a 1" thick 13" laptop with an actual dGPU than a 12mm thin 13" laptop with only integrated.

Like, it's X by Y footprint that affects portability, not thickness. Thin bezels have done more for portability of 15" laptops than reducing thickness from 1 inch to half an inch has.

I don't know if it's fair to complain about thinness when it's not the only consideration for the manufacturers - thinner laptops also mean less weight, which is also a very popular selling point for the average consumer. You also have all the logistical savings from thinner, lighter laptops: more parts per shipment, less packaging per unit, lower weight per package. This is not just a factor during manufacturing but also during service and repair after the sale is concluded.

High performance computing takes a nosedive with the ultra thin and lights but they figure anyone interested enough to pay that premium can also handle fixing the flaws themselves.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

etalian posted:

My L33t tramp stamp gaming laptop.

Also Dell 15 XPS is pretty decent overall but I have noticed annoying throttling problem especially when playing new 3D games. I guess the smaller compact size also means it has thermal issues especially with the CPU and GPU running full blast

Undervolting is a good idea, you can probably knock 10 degrees off which could make the difference between throttling or not. Also raise the rear end end of the laptop if you can, even a 1cm thick object will improve the airflow to where it makes a difference

It runs hot when you're cranking the games, and the surface it's on and the ambient temperature in the room might not be helping. Also you could try the different Dell Command Power Manager modes, maybe the fans can get more aggressive or a cooler setting might help - the latter probably means limiting the CPU speed, but you might not need it all for most games anyway? They should be more GPU-bound I think. Just need to avoid that extreme thermal throttling

And yeah it sucks that you have to janitor it

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Booo, sale is over.

Prime Day still has the ASUS FX503VD 15.6” FHD at $730, which is 270 off list price. Is this an okay gaming laptop? I don't need the top of the line.

I'm also miffed that there was only one laptop cooling pad for Prime Day and it's out of stock. My fault for not being on the ball.

That Asus looks like it only has a regular 1050; you can get the 1050 Ti in a laptop for ~$700 nowadays, e.g. the Acer Nitro 5.

Mu Zeta posted:

Why do gaming laptops still have such garish designs. I thought this poo poo would stop 10 years ago. Just give me a boring gray box without any red led anywhere.

Well everything used to be beige or black, but then gaming laptops started to be a respectable thing so they had to figure out some way to differentiate them from the non-gaming stuff so they could market that poo poo. :shrug:

Truga posted:

there absolutely needs to be a disk activity led somewhere, actually.

doesn't have to be red, but still

Eh, this is more essential if you have an HDD, especially in a laptop, so you don't bang it around while in use and cause actual damage.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

When I travel for work I bring a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. You can get real work done with a tent mode 2-in-1, even on tiny motel desks.

I totally agree with bringing a mouse, but why would you flip the keyboard out of the way in tent mode and then plop another keyboard right where the built-in one would be? :confused:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I totally agree with bringing a mouse, but why would you flip the keyboard out of the way in tent mode and then plop another keyboard right where the built-in one would be? :confused:

If he prefers a more standard key size and travel, why not? Plus you get the special keys in more accessible places and the option of having a numpad.

Or maybe he spent a grand on the perfect mech board and is loathe to use anything else. :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Statutory Ape posted:

somebody needs to team up with jeep or hummer and make a laptop to swing the pendulum

HP Spectre Denali

:shrug:

Do they still make those Ferrari laptops?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Atomizer posted:

Eh, this is more essential if you have an HDD, especially in a laptop, so you don't bang it around while in use and cause actual damage.

it's far more essential with ssds now, because i'd like to know "is my computer even doing anything? should i wait a minute or did it hang?", and with ssd you can't listen in for disk activity :v:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Legit cant remember the last time I had a computer fully freeze up on me outside of workstations at work being bad boys

Although my xps13 was BSODing for the first month or 2 I had it. Dont remember if me or dell fixed that one

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I regularly see laptops take an hour or more at work while doing windows updates, and while they haven't failed yet, having some kind of indicator that it's at least doing *something* while it says "preparing to update windows, don't turn off your computer" for 15+ minutes at a time would be amazing in being able to calm down users. "Look, it's doing its thing", as opposed to "well, we'll have to wait and see :shepface:"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Better to train users to just leave it alone instead of going "hey flashy light stopped must be broke, I'm gonna reset it"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol train users hahahahaha

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Windows should show Twitch streams or cat videos while updating

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah i have them trained to not touch anything while updating either way, I'm just saying having feedback is better than not.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Laptop Megathread: let me know when it's ok to touch you

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Another question: what's the real world difference between Windows Precision touchpads and the Synaptics ones. Some reviews mention that a laptop "only" has a Synaptics pad. Searching around basically says Synaptics ones rely on their driver, but Precision pads are handled by the OS, which coming from a Mac seems Good to me. I'm a big gesture head, I even use a Magic Trackpad at work instead of a traditional mouse. So if one is clearly better than another that could be a factor for me.

Apparently it's also possible to force a pad to use the Precision driver, if anyone's done that could they say how finicky that is, like after reboots/OS updates?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

The Milkman posted:

Apparently it's also possible to force a pad to use the Precision driver, if anyone's done that could they say how finicky that is, like after reboots/OS updates?
I got an MSI laptop with really stupid bad touchpad drivers, so I forced it to use the precision drivers, which was an improvement, but now has this really weird behavior where sometimes the 'scroll wheel' gesture has its behavior reversed. Like I do a "scroll down" and it scrolls up, then I do another scroll down in the same window moments later and it scrolls down, which seemed to begin after a windows update. Other than that it hasn't been a problem, and I haven't had any weirdness like the driver reverting to the wrong one or anything.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Atomizer posted:

Because if i'm banging out 5000 words for a post that has to be up in an hour, i'd like to not waste time dealing with a crappy laptop keyboard if I can just take a nice one with me. It's no different than bringing a mouse. I could get work done with the trackpad, but if I have the option, I'd rather use the better peripheral.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
How are the keyboards & trackpads on mobile workstation-class units in the big boy sizes? Specifically the dell 7730/hp zbook g5/lenovo p71, which look like the exact same terrible trackpads as there were back when a Bush was president.

I’ve been decently happy with the razer blade stealth & don’t want to take too much of a step down from a 2013 era macbook pro in terms of feel, but I’d also like to be able to compile ue4 in less than a day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I ran into a problem undervolting my XPS 15:

Everything runs perfectly fine until I put the thing to sleep, at which point it promptly crashes and then XTU forgets all its settings, even the profiles I've saved. Any idea what's up with that?

etalian posted:

Even the new Apple Macbook Pro has a issue with throttling.

Apparently having a i9 and GPU running full blast is really changing to thermally control for the thin 15" laptops.

Apparently the new MacBook Pros with i9s are throttling so badly that you might as well have last year's model with a 7th generation i7. That's pretty baffling to me, honestly. Maybe that Dave2D video showing that throttling is misrepresenting it in some way or another, but if not that seems completely insane.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Harrow posted:

So I ran into a problem undervolting my XPS 15:

Everything runs perfectly fine until I put the thing to sleep, at which point it promptly crashes and then XTU forgets all its settings, even the profiles I've saved. Any idea what's up with that?

Off the top of my head, try and see if it has the rights to write to whatever folder writes its config to. If it's something stupid like program files than UAC might kill it automatically.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I haven't had XTU crash, but it does like to revert settings / think they're still set when they ain't, after a sleep-wake cycle.

Reinstalling it as Admin helped a little, it's more reliable. I've also only undervolted the Core/Cache and the iGPU, so if you've messed with anything else then who knows!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
A question:

I'm considering picking up a laptop to play and stream Magic The Gathering Online, because I hate money and myself and I use a Mac right now. From what I've gathered, MTGO isn't very taxing on a computer, but streaming is. Looking around on the link for 50% off refurbished dells TITTIESKISSER69 it seems like the workstation laptops like the Precision m4800 get you a lot better hardware for your dollar. Is there a reason why one of these would be a good or terrible idea for what I'm looking to do?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Anyone have any experience with the build quality/thermals/keyboard niceness/horror storries on any of a Asus GL703GE, Asus GL503GE, or HP OMEN 15t?

I'm shopping for a new work laptop and they seem like the cheapest things on amazon that tick off all my requirements:
- 32GB ram
- beefy single thread CPU
- decent size SSD
- some flavor of 10X0 GPU for testing CUDA code, doesn't need to be fast
- a full size keyboard with a 10-key

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Truga posted:

it's far more essential with ssds now, because i'd like to know "is my computer even doing anything? should i wait a minute or did it hang?", and with ssd you can't listen in for disk activity :v:

Truga posted:

I regularly see laptops take an hour or more at work while doing windows updates, and while they haven't failed yet, having some kind of indicator that it's at least doing *something* while it says "preparing to update windows, don't turn off your computer" for 15+ minutes at a time would be amazing in being able to calm down users. "Look, it's doing its thing", as opposed to "well, we'll have to wait and see :shepface:"

Uh, open Task Manager? Ctrl+Shift+Esc and you can see exactly what your hardware is doing, even/especially if that's CPU activity and not disk access. A recent Windows update even added a new section for GPU activity, so you can see how much a game is using resources. I mean, your whole "need a disk activity light to monitor system usage" thing broke my loving brain, dude! :psyboom:

Seriously man, Task Manager is over 20 years old and you're just learning about it now?!?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Uh, open Task Manager? Ctrl+Shift+Esc and you can see exactly what your hardware is doing, even/especially if that's CPU activity and not disk access. A recent Windows update even added a new section for GPU activity, so you can see how much a game is using resources. I mean, your whole "need a disk activity light to monitor system usage" thing broke my loving brain, dude! :psyboom:

Seriously man, Task Manager is over 20 years old and you're just learning about it now?!?

How do you open task manager when you haven't booted into Windows yet because it's installing updates to Windows?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

isndl posted:

How do you open task manager when you haven't booted into Windows yet because it's installing updates to Windows?

If you're at that stage of the update process (as opposed to Windows doing background update stuff while you're working, where Task Manager will indeed show plenty of system activity,) then yeah, Windows is telling you exactly what it's doing, and a little hardware activity light isn't going to give you any more information than isn't already displayed right in front of you. For the rest of the "is my computer even doing anything?" time that Truga mentioned, Task Manager is very helpful indeed.

Also, I've never had the "updating/don't turn off your computer" screen stuck for an hour or more on literally any of the PCs I've managed (sure, they may take awhile to finish and reboot a few times, but not get stuck for that long on that one screen with no update to the progress indicator percentage,) so it sounds like something's way more wrong than an activity light can fix. Are all these laptops still using HDDs for the OS?!? Do goddamn SSD upgrades, that's the most valuable productivity upgrade possible! It's certainly worth it because apparently Truga has users sitting around doing nothing while waiting for Windows to update for an hour or more during the workday....

And that's another thing, you schedule updates for overnight, or otherwise when users aren't, you know, using their PCs. I mean, no loving wonder people are getting impatient with their work computers! If I had poo poo to do that I was supposed to be getting paid for I'd be pretty anxious when my HDD-equipped work PC was taking an hour plus to update in the middle of the day! :rolleyes:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

but obviously the end user can be trained to sit there patiently and lose productivity because LED light

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Atomizer posted:

Also, I've never had the "updating/don't turn off your computer" screen stuck for an hour or more on literally any of the PCs I've managed (sure, they may take awhile to finish and reboot a few times, but not get stuck for that long

cool story. I've seen update take two hours, and take 10-20 minutes of just the "do not turn off your pc" pretty regularly, though.

Atomizer posted:

And that's another thing, you schedule updates for overnight, or otherwise when users aren't, you know, using their PCs. I mean, no loving wonder people are getting impatient with their work computers! If I had poo poo to do that I was supposed to be getting paid for I'd be pretty anxious when my HDD-equipped work PC was taking an hour plus to update in the middle of the day! :rolleyes:

laptops people take home daily and then never turn on overnight complicate that regularly. are you being obtuse on purpose?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The Milkman posted:

Another question: what's the real world difference between Windows Precision touchpads and the Synaptics ones. Some reviews mention that a laptop "only" has a Synaptics pad. Searching around basically says Synaptics ones rely on their driver, but Precision pads are handled by the OS, which coming from a Mac seems Good to me. I'm a big gesture head, I even use a Magic Trackpad at work instead of a traditional mouse. So if one is clearly better than another that could be a factor for me.

It sounds like the surface book is exactly what you're looking for..I'd go play with one and see if you dig it. It's the closest you'll get to the macbook vibe but with the extra things you're looking for (stylus, 3:2 tablet, 4k screen, beefy gpu option, double the battery life of other single battery laptops). You'd lose the whole charge over USB c idea since the usb c port isn't for power and you'd lose TB support. It's probably the least user serviceable laptop out there as well.

You'd also have to up your $1,500 budget a bit, unless the lower specc'd smaller model works for ya but they eventually price drop on revision releases. If you didn't mind igpu and way less battery life in the tablet, the first gen is fairly "cheap" now. There's also an applecare clone you can toss on it for 2 years, not sure how that works on the other 2n1 PC models but that was a selling point for me. I'm not usually into blatant rip-offs but if it's of a really good customer service plan, by all means.

There are no activity lights though cuz I guess that's a thing people care about?

I'm 8 months into having one and I haven't had any hardware or software issues so far, be prepared for hours of windows updates on first boot though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Truga posted:

laptops people take home daily and then never turn on overnight complicate that regularly. are you being obtuse on purpose?

My last company, we had a server scanning product which worked great since the servers never went offline.

Sales guys had a brilliant idea that we should install the same product on all their customer's employee laptops so that the IT department could scan the laptop and diff the results from the previous scan and then just fix the difference and bingo problem solved.

Then they got engineering involved and it was going to require a whole new scheduler and task manager etc for exactly the problem you describe. Long story short we never built the product feature.

My work laptop has a thing it says "try to install updates tomorrow?" and I just defer it forever basically :toot:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

zer0spunk posted:

It sounds like the surface book is exactly what you're looking for..I'd go play with one and see if you dig it. It's the closest you'll get to the macbook vibe but with the extra things you're looking for (stylus, 3:2 tablet, 4k screen, beefy gpu option, double the battery life of other single battery laptops). You'd lose the whole charge over USB c idea since the usb c port isn't for power and you'd lose TB support. It's probably the least user serviceable laptop out there as well.

You'd also have to up your $1,500 budget a bit, unless the lower specc'd smaller model works for ya but they eventually price drop on revision releases. If you didn't mind igpu and way less battery life in the tablet, the first gen is fairly "cheap" now. There's also an applecare clone you can toss on it for 2 years, not sure how that works on the other 2n1 PC models but that was a selling point for me. I'm not usually into blatant rip-offs but if it's of a really good customer service plan, by all means.

There are no activity lights though cuz I guess that's a thing people care about?

I'm 8 months into having one and I haven't had any hardware or software issues so far, be prepared for hours of windows updates on first boot though.

Yeah I played with one at the local Microcenter. It’s definitely nice feeling, and does check a lot of my boxes. I didn’t look into older models or what kind of specials I might find, but $2500 MSRP to get something with 16gb is safely out of my price range. The dGPU I could take or leave, and I could be flexible on i5 vs i7, but I at least need the memory for VMs/docker and whatnot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harrow posted:

Apparently the new MacBook Pros with i9s are throttling so badly that you might as well have last year's model with a 7th generation i7. That's pretty baffling to me, honestly. Maybe that Dave2D video showing that throttling is misrepresenting it in some way or another, but if not that seems completely insane.

It's pretty much across the board issue for multiple vendors.

Consumers naturally want more compact 15" laptops but the end of the day it's much harder to thermally manage both the GPU/CPU running at full blast.

For power consumption the 1050 Ti GPU alone can draw up to 75W of power and the CPU is around 45W max.

So it's no wonder why the Dell XPS 15 ships with a 130W power brick and the Surface Book 2 pro pulls so much peak power the 100W adapter can't keep up.

Good Link on the topic:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Opinion-It-s-time-we-talked-about-throttling-in-reviews.234232.0.html

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LGD posted:

I had been thinking about getting something along these lines for about a year now, this finally made me pull the trigger since it has essentially everything I want at an extremely reasonable price

very excited to find out what will go horribly wrong :v:

the helios 300 arrived today, so far I'm quite impressed with the build quality and it seems like a great machine that's going to do exactly what I want

did have some initial issues where my CPU temps were spiking up to 92c and throttling under load, but (based on extremely limited testing with BF1) but undervolting it seems to fixed the issue - I'm really hoping that's the case since I really don't want to choose between RMAing it or voiding my warranty and repasting myself

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

krysmopompas posted:

How are the keyboards & trackpads on mobile workstation-class units in the big boy sizes? Specifically the dell 7730/hp zbook g5/lenovo p71, which look like the exact same terrible trackpads as there were back when a Bush was president.

I’ve been decently happy with the razer blade stealth & don’t want to take too much of a step down from a 2013 era macbook pro in terms of feel, but I’d also like to be able to compile ue4 in less than a day.

I'm curious as to what you expect to tell about the quality of a trackpad by looking at it.

Anyway I don't have a ZBook but the trackpad on my EliteBook 830 G5 is just fine - it's a click pad but isn't floppy like the older Lenovo ones, it still has separate trackpoint buttons (unfortunately the trackpoint itself isn't Lenovo quality), uses precision drivers and is made from proper glass. No real complaints from me.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Truga posted:

cool story. I've seen update take two hours, and take 10-20 minutes of just the "do not turn off your pc" pretty regularly, though.

"Hey Steve/Becky/Larry/Tina/etc., you know how you take your work laptop home daily, and separately, OS updates are important for security and sometimes performance reasons? Leave the laptop on overnight and let it update so it's ready for you to work on the next day."

Is that really a difficult concept to understand? I don't want to belabor the point, but is it really me who's being obtuse here? I'm the dumb one for updating overnight instead of in the middle of the workday?

:thunk:

But naw, you're right, a HDD activity light is the solution to this problem.... :jerkbag:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Atomizer posted:

"Hey Steve/Becky/Larry/Tina/etc., you know how you take your work laptop home daily, and separately, OS updates are important for security and sometimes performance reasons? Leave the laptop on overnight and let it update so it's ready for you to work on the next day."

Is that really a difficult concept to understand?

For me? No. For them? Evidently, yes, since they've been having this issue explained to them for the last 9 years I've worked here and they still haven't figured it out.

Atomizer posted:

But naw, you're right, a HDD activity light is the solution to this problem.... :jerkbag:

in what world is no feedback better than feedback, why are you even arguing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Atomizer posted:

Is that really a difficult concept to understand? I don't want to belabor the point, but is it really me who's being obtuse here? I'm the dumb one for updating overnight instead of in the middle of the workday?

You clearly have never worked with corporate users. In the same vein, you'd think you'd be able to "train" them not to click on the "you've just won!" malware links--something painfully obvious and no more difficult than "leave your laptop on so it can update." You would be wrong.

In their semi-defense, some people have a ton of random stuff open, and get cranky when a forced-restart closes all of that (which they may or may not have saved, and which may or may not have been savable in the first place).