Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
page snype, bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
it's 36 tomorrow here in Fukuoka and almost impossible to go outside, how do you dudes live in this heat

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Enjoy this heat now when in a couple decades it'll be the "cool" weather hahaha

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Great Autismo! posted:

it's 36 tomorrow here in Fukuoka and almost impossible to go outside, how do you dudes live in this heat

Cool biz lol

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

ain't my fault you're fat dude

I’m getting back down there, stamina coming back a lot too.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

Enjoy this heat now when in a couple decades it'll be the "cool" weather hahaha

high of tomorrow is 26 in Portland Maine, low is 12. I think me and the fam will be ok

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
there's a great book called "the world in 2050" which argues that only 9-12 countries (if I remember correctly) will be doing well in 2050, the polar countries, it's like Scandinavia, New Zealand, Canada, usa, Iceland, the UK and maybe some area of Russia/northern china/hokkaido? I read it in like 2014, but yeah, it pretty much made this point.

pro tip: don't move to Singapore or hong kong or Maldives or Philippines or any place south anytime soon to start your life

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I will probably die of cancer by then

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
we're all going to be begging ceciltron to live in his house when Vancouver is underwater and it is 47 degrees in Hong Kong and 44 in Fukuoka and 45 in Tokyo and ceciltron is pro-chilling in his garden in Quebec and its a cool 32 degrees and he owns a loving hardware store

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I work at a kindergarten so today I got paid to play in the pool and dump water on kid's heads for 90 minutes (followed by ice cream) :japan:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

You are fatter.

this is a bald faced lie

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
yo I've got a quick trip report for Disneyland and DisneySea, for future references

- get fastpasses ASAP for Nemo and Toy Story (DisneySea) and Winnie the Pooh and Splash Mountain (Disneyland). They go fast. also get a fastpass for It's a Small World (Disneyland), no other park requires it but the lines in Disneyland are out of control.

- the food is surprisingly good in all parks, so enjoy

- for the love of God do not try taking any train downtown in the morning with your kids if you're going to the parks. on Friday we tried to take a few lines downtown to get to Tokyo Station so we could change to go to the JR line to Disney and holy loving poo poo it was literally hell on the earth. I'm surprised everyone made it out alive. on the weekend it was fine but the JR line to Disney was a shitshow. I'd never tried commuting in Japan and figured it would be better than China because everything in Japan is better than China...but this was arguably just as bad.

- have a fun time and enjoy the fact that you are in Japan and not in China is a pro way to enjoy doing stuff in Japan, hope this helps

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

- for the love of God do not try taking any train downtown in the morning with your kids if you're going to the parks. on Friday we tried to take a few lines downtown to get to Tokyo Station so we could change to go to the JR line to Disney and holy loving poo poo it was literally hell on the earth. I'm surprised everyone made it out alive. on the weekend it was fine but the JR line to Disney was a shitshow. I'd never tried commuting in Japan and figured it would be better than China because everything in Japan is better than China...but this was arguably just as bad.

you went through a major commuter hub station, and then headed out to a major tourist spot, this really shouldn't be a surprise. and during the summer hot season? yikes.

I was dumb enough to suggest going to Disney Sea during the August holiday weekend last year. never again. the months June to August are not good for Disney.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I will forever dream of that milk chocolate popcorn

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I went to Disneyland, my wife really wanted to go but I enjoyed it too since I'm afraid of heights and can't ride rollercoasters for real men. The only palatable popcorns there are the honey one and the salty one, caramel is an inherently vile substance and so is white chocolate.

I saw Mickey Mouse.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Come on, the Mickey Mouse curry was cute which had the perfect ratio of curry to rice.

The gift shop is amazing because they Japan Disney makes its own merch

The safari boat ride was fun even when you don’t understand Japanese because everyone is just so genki

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hello Japan, I am back!

Immediately escaping this concrete burning hell for the mountains where I can suffer the heat in nature without the benefit of air-conditioned buildings.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The cycling trip is going to be so fun!

Because traveling to foreign exotic lands is going to be AN ADVENTURE

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's funny because my parents were really impressed when we first told them we were going to Japan. They really thought it would be AN ADVENTURE for us because Asia is So Different. It's really not, especially not with a smartphone - it's about as hard to travel in as Western Europe, which my parents and I have been to multiple times. But I guess those trips weren't ADVENTURES because the people there are mostly white. That and all the signs are in Roman script instead of Moon Language.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Otoh for Americans, a 1300 year old shrine is mind blowing. My mom also loved riding a bike to the grocery store.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I climbed up to Okuhotaka (full disclosure: only the hut because of concerns regarding the state of my knees for the descent) and woooo this climb was no joke!

If you guys are ever looking for some ADVENTURE and challenge, look into these mountains. Gorgeous views!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I missed izakayas. Getting drunk as gently caress off salty lichee highballs and hoppy while shoveling 200 yen plates of fried oysters down my mouth with an empty beer crate for a chair kicks rear end.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Or Haippi, which is the thinking man's Hoppy.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Did I miss fuji rock chat? I'm getting pretty excited for the festivities.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yoooo I'm at fuji Rock, sent you a pm

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh that’s why there’s a typhoon incoming, it’s Fuji Rock weekend.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol thx for the clouds :peanut:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Wife and I are thinking of going for 5-7 days sometime in Fall/Winter 2019. Neither of us has ever been. I know the Olympics are in 2020, so I'm not sure if this is going to be a particularly crazy bad time to go.

We're thinking we might want to go with a tour group for convenience's sake. Good/Bad?

If not a tour group, we were also seriously thinking of using a travel agent to help us plan. Any advice on that? Are they a good idea?

We'd like to spend at least a couple of days in Tokyo and Kyoto, but not sure what else besides that. I'm a weeb, so I'd really like to spend some time seeing some landmarks, but also stuff like temples and parks, restaurants, and of course, all of the dorky poo poo like arcades, Shinjuku and Akihabara.

Is it more convenient to book one hotel for the full week and travel by train to where we want to go and return at night, or book several different hotels per city?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You don't need a tour group, but 1-day tours could help you get oriented.

5 days is just enough for Tokyo and Kyoto+Nara (you'll need a minimum of 2 hotels). 7 days allows for a third region like Hiroshima or Nikko.

The olympics are Summer 2020 don't worry!!!!!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Dont tour group Japan for a full trip ever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Japan is a very easy place to tourist, plan it yourself and be happier.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Have any of you ever left the country?

If no, then do a tour, if yes, then don’t.

And for a weeb you should research this on your own, stop being a bad person

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Do you have a favorite anime set in present-day Japan? Those often portray real places that you can visit.

For example, somebody compiled a map of Tokyo locations that appear in the Digimon cartoon. (FWIW, I know next-to-nothing about Digimon; I found out about this when I was researching Odaiba for my trip).

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Thanks for the advice. Apologies for more incoming questions!

I guess the easiest question to ask is if there's a good online resource for planning a trip to Japan that you all could point me to. But I figure I'll still ask:

What's the consensus on the best airlines to use to fly to Japan? We're in South Florida. I figure October/November is a decent time to go since it won't be hot anymore or particularly cold either?

If we do the 7 days, would 2 days in Tokyo and 2 days in Kyoto be a good use of our time, not enough, or overkill? I've heard both Nara and Osaka are really cool, not sure if we can get to see them both.

Is there a generally agreed upon best site for booking hotel rooms?

How easy is it to get around the cities with limited to no knowledge of the language? Are any of those translation apps any good?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nanigans posted:

Thanks for the advice. Apologies for more incoming questions!

I guess the easiest question to ask is if there's a good online resource for planning a trip to Japan that you all could point me to. But I figure I'll still ask:

What's the consensus on the best airlines to use to fly to Japan? We're in South Florida. I figure October/November is a decent time to go since it won't be hot anymore or particularly cold either?

If we do the 7 days, would 2 days in Tokyo and 2 days in Kyoto be a good use of our time, not enough, or overkill? I've heard both Nara and Osaka are really cool, not sure if we can get to see them both.

Is there a generally agreed upon best site for booking hotel rooms?

How easy is it to get around the cities with limited to no knowledge of the language? Are any of those translation apps any good?

To be honest google/TripAdvisor or pick up a guidebook and look through stuff. Japan is a huge tourist destination and this year is going to have 30 million people come in on tourist visas/visa exemption, of which the vast majority are there for actual tourism. There’s tons of information, just start googling, see what you want, and post an itinerary here for the kind people in the thread to look over.

2 days in Tokyo and Kyoto is good to see the major stuff, but you’ll not be able to see or experience everything. Keep in mind it’s literally 28 minutes by an express train from Kyoto station to Osaka station, and Nara is 50min from either Kyoto or Osaka station, so you don’t necessarily need an explicit day or separate hotel just for those, if you don’t mind some transit time.

Airline really doesn’t matter as long as it gets you there and is a decent price. Might want to avoid the Chinese airlines as they suck Korea Air is pretty good, Delta tends to be the sweet point for cheap and not terrible from the US, and I’ve always been fine with them, but I’m sure people will have lots of opinions on that poo poo. Bring a neck pillow because you’ll be in transit for 18 hours on the plane/transfers alone.

I just use booking.com mostly, but take the time to search around and see if there’s any combo deals with hotels in Expedia or whathaveyou.

You’ll be fine, major areas are quite accommodating; as mentioned literally millions of people do what you’re doing every year and get by with no problem.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
JAL/ANA are the best, followed by other Asian airlines, followed by US airlines. Do not connect in Mainland China. Try connecting at one of:

Dallas, JFK, Chicago, LAX.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Out of curiosity what's wrong with Chinese airlines/connecting in China?

We flew Air China and connected in Beijing last year and other than the airport being a concrete and glass sweatbox and the staff being dressed in some kind of paramilitary swat uniform poo poo that made it feel even more like a prison it wasn't any more off-putting than any other international travel I've done.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Airport is a glass sweatbox, transferring depending on time there can take 3 hours, the military can delay either the arrival or departure flight for no reason at all, and visa trouble (don't need one but sometimes it takes forever to go through the bureaucracy of that).

Also, every ANA/JAL flight I've ever been on has been really quiet and behaving, and that is not true on Chinese airlines.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
but it was worth the $25 you saved on the plane ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ntan1 posted:

JAL/ANA are the best, followed by other Asian airlines, followed by US airlines. Do not connect in Mainland China. Try connecting at one of:

Dallas, JFK, Chicago, LAX.

Most JAL/ANA flights in the US are codeshare with Delta or American anyway and operated by Delta/American staff on Delta/American planes. Believe that ones that aren’t are also way more expensive? Not sure, but if you’re looking for cheap flights even if you choose ANA/JAL you’re going to see “operated by Delta” etc most of the time.