Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

That's not entirely wrong, although I doubt I'd agree with whoever created it. I've always seen Bernie as a rather uninspired, one-note speaker, not because of his platform, but because of his bizarre habit of connecting literally anything he's asked about back to the three goddamn things he won't shut up about. It doesn't matter if you talk to him about gun violence, racism, Russian meddling in our election, whatever -- it always seems to connect back to the banks loving people over, and the plight of the white working man who showers after work instead of in the morning (?), like the world's most boring game of six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has, on the other hand, shown that you can focus on a very similar platform while being a more engaging speaker who's able to talk on a wider variety of topics. I think Bernie Sanders was a necessary first step in terms of amplifying the important issues that he cares about, and getting a whole bunch of people ready to hear more about them, but now it's time that other progressives step into the space he's created, and push the ball further down the field.

Imagine someone as rhetorically gifted as Barack Obama, but without any of his policy flaws. That's what we need, and somewhere out there, that person exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there is no racial justice without economic justice.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
We don't even need to talk about people being shot and had remained in office instead.

Personally I think the single most cataclysmic event of the 20th century that led to all of our modern troubles was when they switched Roosevelt's vp from Wallace to Truman.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Groovelord Neato posted:

there is no racial justice without economic justice.

You do understand that's not an argument for ignoring racial justice, right?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

kinda odd that the only people suggesting that talking about economic justice means ignoring racial justice or that the two aren't by definition intertwined are disingenuous shitlords

it's almost as if they're using the latter to completely avoid having to talk about the former while not doing poo poo about either

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

PT6A posted:

They're equally important and your ilk tends to ignore the economic part.

E: you give away your bullshit when you go on a Clara Jeffery style rant about Bernie being mean to rich people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PT6A posted:

it's the opposite of ignoring it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Matt Zerella posted:

We don't even need to talk about people being shot and had remained in office instead.

Personally I think the single most cataclysmic event of the 20th century that led to all of our modern troubles was when they switched Roosevelt's vp from Wallace to Truman.

This is one of the most ignored and easily overlooked events in modern American history. If there was a president Wallace we may have even avoided the Cold War entirely.

I know that JFK and RFK aren’t perfect. Perhaps their deaths downplayed their bad sides. But I really think had RFK survived to become president we’d have gotten a very different America. RFK went from being a McArthyist to a modern day liberal icon. People can change and I strongly believe events like the death of his brother changed him enough that he would have enacted the sort of change we needed.

I would say that RFK was a lot like the Bernie Sanders of his time only he was able to win over the black voters. The dude personally showed up in front of an entire crowd of predominantly black civil rights protesters and announced MLK Jrs death to them before they even knew. Then he delivered an impromptu eulogy to him without a prepared speech to calm them down. That’s the most genuine democrat we’ve had since FDR. The only other person I know of who can make effective off the cuff speeches to his base right now is Donald Trump. All the dems are focus grouped TelePrompTer bots.

You’d be hard pressed to find a democratic presidential contender today who personally shows up in front of starving poor people and the unwashed masses to express his support for them.

Sometimes I wonder if the Kennedy assassinations are the reason we never have truly liberal presidents anymore. Maybe there’s enough powerful people who can physically end you if they can’t contain you via the Democratic Party machine.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 19, 2018

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mantis42 posted:

People don't lionize Hubert Humphrey, just the dead union busting, mob connected Catholic who enjoyed spitroasting teenage interns with his brother.

I cheered when Humphrey was chosen.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kraftwerk posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the Kennedy assassinations are the reason we never have truly liberal presidents anymore.

got a hunch it has a little more to do with the guy who immediately followed jfk

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The only reason anyone remembers Kennedy fondly is because he was handsome and managed to get himself shot in the head before he could be properly blamed for the Vietnam War.

The entire Kennedy family is a gigantic pack of shitbags and the fewer of them that are in politics the better.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

PT6A posted:

That's not entirely wrong, although I doubt I'd agree with whoever created it. I've always seen Bernie as a rather uninspired, one-note speaker, not because of his platform, but because of his bizarre habit of connecting literally anything he's asked about back to the three goddamn things he won't shut up about. It doesn't matter if you talk to him about gun violence, racism, Russian meddling in our election, whatever -- it always seems to connect back to the banks loving people over, and the plight of the white working man who showers after work instead of in the morning (?), like the world's most boring game of six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has, on the other hand, shown that you can focus on a very similar platform while being a more engaging speaker who's able to talk on a wider variety of topics. I think Bernie Sanders was a necessary first step in terms of amplifying the important issues that he cares about, and getting a whole bunch of people ready to hear more about them, but now it's time that other progressives step into the space he's created, and push the ball further down the field.

Imagine someone as rhetorically gifted as Barack Obama, but without any of his policy flaws. That's what we need, and somewhere out there, that person exists.

I don't know, Cortez can be pretty drat eloquent off the cuff.

Yea she's not at Obama's level, but then Obama trained for decades to hone his speech craft.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea she's not at Obama's level, but then Obama trained for decades to hone his speech craft.

Actual passion about actual people can substitute just fine for professionally trained eloquence. That's basically Bernie's whole gimmick and it's also AOC's to an extent.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah, I think so too, sorry if it sounded like I was slagging A O-C. I'm not sure if she's that person, but she certainly could be.

Bernie isn't. He's an average speaker who connects to a specific segment of the population because he's talking about issues that are too often ignored in US politics. Outside those issues, he's weak and he knows it, which is why he always steers literally everything back towards the issues he's comfortable talking about.

I think A O-C and future candidates like her have the possibility of remaining focused on the same issues as Bernie is, but without focusing on them exclusively, which is one of the reasons I think Ocasio-Cortez is such an exciting candidate.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I saw AOC fumble badly when asked about the occupation of Palestine, she sounded pretty dumb. With all this big exposure she's going to need to bone up on international affairs at least a little.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I saw AOC fumble badly when asked about the occupation of Palestine, she sounded pretty dumb. With all this big exposure she's going to need to bone up on international affairs at least a little.

Source? It sounds like she was correct off the start, and then sort of tried to moderate herself without any conviction in doing so when she noticed that Americans have an irrational freakout about literally anyone who doesn't fully indulge the Israeli apartheid state. I feel sorry for her; I think she knows the right answer, but feels she can't come out and say it due to the absurdly pro-Israel climate in the US as a whole.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah the fumbling was her apology.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Speaking of Ocasio-Cortez, here's an interview with her in Jacobin magazine.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/08/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-interview-democratic-primary

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

Source? It sounds like she was correct off the start, and then sort of tried to moderate herself without any conviction in doing so when she noticed that Americans have an irrational freakout about literally anyone who doesn't fully indulge the Israeli apartheid state. I feel sorry for her; I think she knows the right answer, but feels she can't come out and say it due to the absurdly pro-Israel climate in the US as a whole.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/alexandra-ocasio-cortez-gives-brutally-awkward-explanation-after-claiming-palestine-is-occupied/

Yeah you could see alarm bells going off when questioned about the term "occupation". The above is a longer clip than I'd seen before in which she comes across better.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm pretty sure any awkwardness comes from trying to describe an occupation without using the word "occupation" since, of course, Israel has done a bang-up job of convincing most of North America that any criticism of Israeli government policy is, in fact, the very worst sort of anti-Semitism.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

theblackw0lf posted:

Speaking of Ocasio-Cortez, here's an interview with her in Jacobin magazine.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/08/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-interview-democratic-primary
This is a good read - thanks.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

PT6A posted:

I was a Bernie person in 2016 and I identify with his campaign platforms a lot. However as time has gone has gone on I've become more and more jaded with Bernie the person and Justice Democrats as a whole.

For a bit of context, I live in Kansas and I've been following the primary between James Thompson and Laura Lombard in the 4th congressional district out of Wichita very closely. Thompson was the one who ran against Estes in the 2017 special election for Pompeo's seat in 2017 and lost. James has the endorsement from Justice Democrats, but he got their nod before Lombard was even in the race this year. Pretty much all throughout the primary season Lombard has been consistently to the left of Thompson on everything from guns (Thompson is a pro-2nd amendment guy, Lombard is significantly better on gun control), women's rights (Lombard supports going to the Colorado method of reducing abortions through comprehensive sex ed and subsidised birth control, Thompson is quiet on the issue and is backing a pro-life governor's candidate), minimum wage (Lombard is for $15 minimum wage that is pegged to inflation, Thompson is literally on video saying he doesn't care about how much money McDonald's employees make because it's entry level jobs for teenagers) and so on.

Thompson is also fully despicable person, he's paying himself lawyer consultation fees out of his campaign funds. His FEC filings show it going to a law office he's a part of, but neither of his partners are in practice anymore. The consultant firm he's working with, Ad Astra is basically single handedly responsible for decimating the state democratic party in the wake of the 2017 special election because the owner of Ad Astra was also a member of the KDP executive committee and was using her position to enrich herself out of state party funds, of which the drama is still playing out in real time.

Despite all of this, because Thompson is the Justice Democrat (because he's paying Justice for the privilege of being a Justice Democrat), they are paying for Bernie to come campaign for him against Lombard because "he's the progressive" despite being a nakedly corrupt mealy mouthed red state moderate. To top it off, he's doing the same thing against Sharice Davids in Kansas City, who is actually favored to win the seat against Kevin Yoder should she make it through the primaries.

The whole thing has left an exceedingly bitter taste in my mouth and there are a lot of Kansas lefties that are getting really pissed off about it.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 20, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's worth mentioning that, from what I understand, Justice Democrats aren't really directly affiliated with Bernie (that would be Our Revolution I think). I think Justice Democrats are something related to The Young Turks?

My experience regarding Justice Democrats is that they're just very ideologically unreliable. The same is kind of true for Our Revolution to a lesser extent; DSA is the only leftist political organization that seems to have its poo poo more or less together ideologically.

Regarding Sanders specifically, his individual politics are still the best of any national-level politician with any presence to speak of, but I strongly support attacking him from the left when he does specific dumb things (like not explicitly supporting the Abolish ICE stuff, or IIRC voicing opposition to Sarah Sanders being made to leave the restaurant). I think it's usually easy to tell if someone is criticizing him for the right reasons, usually by looking at how they discuss other figures on the American left/center-left.

edit: The reason why I'm often skeptical of people who attack Sanders on issues of race is that they usually don't reference anything specific, and it's usually explicit or implied that he's notably bad in some way that goes beyond the norm for Democrats (despite supporting policy that would unequivocally be better for minority groups). Like, if you really care about that issue, it doesn't make any sense to make Sanders a disproportionate target of your attacks, while ignoring (at least until others bring it up) Democrats who take money from for-profit prisons and poo poo. Attacking him for specific things that happen (like the "conflating drug dealers with black people" thing from some time back) is 100% reasonable and good, but these attacks usually just consist of a bunch of vague insinuations implying that the mainstream Dems are better on racial justice than the radical left.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 19, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ytlaya posted:

It's worth mentioning that, from what I understand, Justice Democrats aren't really directly affiliated with Bernie (that would be Our Revolution I think). I think Justice Democrats are something related to The Young Turks?.

Its both. It's the young turks guy and also guys who were top staffers in the Bernie 2016 campaign. Bernie is coming to Kansas on behalf of Justice Dems.

Edit: At least at the Kansas state level, Justice Dems and Our Revolution are very incestuous, a lot of overlapping circles of people in both groups. Quite a few of which are also associated with Ad Astra, the group I mentioned in the article above that was decimating the state level Democratic party for personal profit.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 20, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

PT6A posted:

Bernie isn't. He's an average speaker who connects to a specific segment of the population because he's talking about issues that are too often ignored in US politics. Outside those issues, he's weak and he knows it, which is why he always steers literally everything back towards the issues he's comfortable talking about.

There's definitely some truth here. The only time Bernie really sounded out of his depth during 2016 was discussing foreign policy. I found a lot of Hillary's answers terrible, but at least they were answers. 'lean on the Saudis to stop being lovely' is not an acceptable or complete answer to a question about the war in Yemen.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

There's definitely some truth here. The only time Bernie really sounded out of his depth during 2016 was discussing foreign policy. I found a lot of Hillary's answers terrible, but at least they were answers. 'lean on the Saudis to stop being lovely' is not an acceptable or complete answer to a question about the war in Yemen.

Yeah, I mean, I think Bernie did a very important thing, because wealth inequality and economic issues are a huge, huge deal in the US right now, and no one was really talking about them the way they needed to be talked about. But there are other issues that are mostly separate, and a good candidate has to be able to speak credibly on all of them. Bernie has a very specific focus, and that has value, but it means he's a better adviser than he is a candidate.

The same way that conservative thinktanks poo poo out weird anti-abortion Christian nonsense peddlers, so too does the left need to have a way to help prospective candidates shore up their knowledge on their weak areas -- be it racial justice, economic policy, foreign policy, or whatever else. Ideally, the left should field candidates with no obvious policy blindspots -- easier said than done, of course.

I get that I have different priorities than some people in this thread, but I don't think the things I want are incompatible with the things most of the people in this thread want, so I see no reason why there shouldn't be a candidate that can appeal fully to all of us.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

It's worth mentioning that, from what I understand, Justice Democrats aren't really directly affiliated with Bernie (that would be Our Revolution I think). I think Justice Democrats are something related to The Young Turks?

My experience regarding Justice Democrats is that they're just very ideologically unreliable. The same is kind of true for Our Revolution to a lesser extent; DSA is the only leftist political organization that seems to have its poo poo more or less together ideologically.

The Young Turks supports Justice Democrats running for office but is no longer affiliated with Justice Democrats. This is due to some conservative finding a copy of Cenk Ugur's old blog posts from the late 90s when he was a single conservative libertarian in his 20s on archive.org (as the originals no longer exist for obvious reasons) and on there he posted some lovely stuff about women. This got into the news and as a result the Justice Democrats kicked him out. What's interesting is this was very publicly known even before these blog posts were found out. He's openly talked about his days as a young conservative going to law school and how he was an rear end in a top hat back then on TYT. Anyways, apparently things you say 20 years ago when you were on the complete opposite of the political spectrum means you're no good for the Justice Democrats, regardless if you're one of the co-founders and have overwhelmingly shown that you're a progressive. The other co-founder Kyle Kulinski left Justice Democrats after they kicked Cenk out.

Yeah I'm not much of a fan either

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 20, 2018

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Ague Proof posted:

I cheered when Humphrey was chosen.

Did it restore your faith in the system?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

RaspberryCommie posted:

Did it restore your faith in the system?

love, love, etc

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

People don't lionize Hubert Humphrey, just the dead union busting, mob connected Catholic who enjoyed spitroasting teenage interns with his brother.

50,000 Americans (and millions of Vietnamese) died in that war dude, no poo poo the guy who loved sending teenagers to get slaughtered isn't well-loved by history

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I mean, I think Bernie did a very important thing, because wealth inequality and economic issues are a huge, huge deal in the US right now, and no one was really talking about them the way they needed to be talked about. But there are other issues that are mostly separate, and a good candidate has to be able to speak credibly on all of them. Bernie has a very specific focus, and that has value, but it means he's a better adviser than he is a candidate.

The same way that conservative thinktanks poo poo out weird anti-abortion Christian nonsense peddlers, so too does the left need to have a way to help prospective candidates shore up their knowledge on their weak areas -- be it racial justice, economic policy, foreign policy, or whatever else. Ideally, the left should field candidates with no obvious policy blindspots -- easier said than done, of course.

I get that I have different priorities than some people in this thread, but I don't think the things I want are incompatible with the things most of the people in this thread want, so I see no reason why there shouldn't be a candidate that can appeal fully to all of us.

until other candidates start taking those economic issues seriously, bernie is the best candidate we've got.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PT6A posted:

The existing liberal thinktanks do the exact opposite of this. The Democrat establish is built to suppress leftism and leftist candidates.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

every candidate sounds out of their depth on foreign policy because they're all wrong. bernie was less wrong at least.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

every candidate sounds out of their depth on foreign policy because they're all wrong. bernie was less wrong at least.

Yeah, Hillary's foreign policy of throwing a dart to decide which Arab country to destroy every 6-10 years is honestly worse than not having a comprehensive foreign policy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

kidkissinger posted:

Yeah, Hillary's foreign policy of throwing a dart to decide which Arab country to destroy every 6-10 years is honestly worse than not having a comprehensive foreign policy.

Yeah having a comprehensive policy, doesn't mean it is non-catastrophic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is wild to think our choices were the dumbest person alive or a person who christmases with our worst war criminal.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1020318077026791425?s=19

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Is that account real or parody

Am I real or parody

I can't tell any more

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1020303215781457921

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/LCP/status/1020314710556663809

turns out centrists don't like fascists more than the left, they are fascists. this member of the "centrist" la republique en marche is saying "you don't love france! you don't love the republic! in response to the opposition parties raking them over the coals since it was discovered one of macron's staff was caught impersonating the police and brutalizing protestors

https://twitter.com/tictoc/status/1020325286859214848

• Locked thread