Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So there's one level 20ish dungeon next to each starting town right? I've been trying to clear them all out before moving on to chapter 2.

At this point, I have all of the chapter 1 stories done, I've cleaned out Grandport of every item on every person and done the same (for the most part) in all eight starting cities. I went to the dungeon near Ophelia's town (Hoarfrost Grotto) and killed a Jotun for a quest. Does every 20ish dungeon have a quest for a boss?

I was trying to go clockwise and so I went to the dungeon near Atlasdam (The Whistlewood) and there was no boss at the end.

The only dungeon I found near Rippletide was a level 40ish dungeon (Undertow Cove). Is there a level 20ish dungeon around here?

And then the dungeon near Cobbleston (Untouched Sanctum) again had no boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

figured I'd try a chapter 2 and went for the lowest level one, which was Primrose's at level 21 or so. All my characters are level 18 to 15. It took like 25 minutes to beat the boss but I did it! Hopefully next boss won't take as long or cost me the majority of my grapes/plums haha. Still need to get Olberic. I feel like I need lots more monies because my gear probably could use an upgrade.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Just when I felt like hot poo poo one-rounding ch4 bosses in their first break I run into some fuckoff monster in a forest and get owned

Guess there's a few extra things in the end game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Welp, was on Reddit and found a spreadsheet listing all weapons, all armor, all accessories, all quests, and all zones. Super helpful!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTB8ETymokELfLd5J16Ebbl1GXFi7Hc1MB5PftFMZaq70wOn6ze-mfn5ce1k-8l7oYuOKyaNVDStZzx/pubhtml

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Welp, was on Reddit and found a spreadsheet listing all weapons, all armor, all accessories, all quests, and all zones. Super helpful!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTB8ETymokELfLd5J16Ebbl1GXFi7Hc1MB5PftFMZaq70wOn6ze-mfn5ce1k-8l7oYuOKyaNVDStZzx/pubhtml

This is prettty neat. I'm also wondering if anyone's making like, a list of notable pokemon captures for haanit/npc followers from oph/prim.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Also, regarding the Nuts.

quote:

So, I was doing some searching and found that there were no posts on Reddit pointing to individual Nut stat gains. I went through and read some theories on how they work and found through my testing that, indeed, Nuts give stats based on a percentage of level 1 bases. With that said, I've compiled a short table with all the percentages below. Do note that (M) Nuts double the gains of regular Nuts. I cannot verify (L) nuts yet, but I would assume that they edit: quadruple gains. (Thanks u/tsarkees for verifying!)

Note: I acquired these values using the assumption that (M) nuts are double small nuts with an N>= 4 for all categories except P. Def and Acc. Therion's base stats were used for the calculations. I repeated SP gains with Ophelia and Alfyn, just to make that number more robust.

Nut Boost Stat Gains

Based on the results, I'm inclined to believe that all non-HP/SP stats receive a 8.75% boost based on the character's base stats, HP gets 30%, and SP gets 6%. For reference, I'm putting the characters' base stats in a table below.

Base Stats

Stats Gained per Nut

This will personally help me better understand how I'm maxing my character's stats and what nuts to give to whom. I hope this helps you all as well. May the Flame ever guide you!

EDIT: Based on a suggestion from u/_31415_, I'm adding a table with the approximate gains from a small nut. Just multiply the (+N) by 2 or 4 for an (M) nut or (L) nut respectively. I have not verified this, but I believe the game does not round up.

EDIT 2: I rearranged the tables in the correct order of character names. Thanks u/WildBill22!

TL:DR: Nuts give stats on percentage of level 1 base stats. HP nuts give 30%, SP nuts give 6%, all other stats give 8.75%. (M) Nuts go for twice as much and (L) nuts for quadruple.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Saving this for after my first playthrough.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Sheesh (level 50 Boss Stuff)

The only difference between getting wrecked by the job bosses and stepping on their faces was the support skill that lets me overheal.
That and the XP I gained getting to places/stocking H'aanit's beast supply]

Also: Am I doing something wrong with dance?
All it does for me is either an extremely minor positive effect or it kills me. And double JP on occassion.
No, literally kills me. I danced twice in a row once and got the effect that drops the party to 1HP/deals damage to the party.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It's just super random and some of us (like me :smith: ) are less fortunate than others I guess

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I've got a question, but I've haven't been reading the thread cause I wanna play this game mostly pure. Can you get items from npcs by winning duels/provoke and can they be good items?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

I've got a question, but I've haven't been reading the thread cause I wanna play this game mostly pure. Can you get items from npcs by winning duels/provoke and can they be good items?

Yes

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Thank you. That was a thing in the first demo and wasn't sure it made it into the final game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

Thank you. That was a thing in the first demo and wasn't sure it made it into the final game.

Drops aren't guaranteed though.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Finished up all the Chapter 1 missions and moved on to Therion's Chapter 2 and I'm just getting wrecked. Took a break and leveled my party (Ophelia, Cyrus, and that Beastmaster girl whose name is impossible) up to the recommended level 22 but I party wiped with the boss' HP in the red.

Am I still under-leveled or is there some trick to this fight that I'm missing?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sarchasm posted:

Finished up all the Chapter 1 missions and moved on to Therion's Chapter 2 and I'm just getting wrecked. Took a break and leveled my party (Ophelia, Cyrus, and that Beastmaster girl whose name is impossible) up to the recommended level 22 but I party wiped with the boss' HP in the red.

Did you find any shrines along the way to any of the chapter 2 towns?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

Go find all the class shrines, you get a nice stat bump for your characters from it. Upgrade your equipment if you haven't bothered. You can make money from sidequests or you can just try and jack decent equipment from chapter two towns with Therion. Levels feel less important than equipment, I could be wrong, but it sure feels like that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It cracks me up how loving vague the side quests are in this game.

Kid: "I'm excited! My grandpa is coming to visit."
Game: Quest Accepted.
Me: ?????????????

The only complaint about this game is that I wish that the map screen would list the levels of zones/dungeons when you moved the cursor over them.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How I feel after running around some of the towns with Therion and Tressa:

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Is the "Recommended Level" for a chapter the level that is recommended for your main character or your average party level? I just finished the Chapter 1s and my starting character is already like 6 levels above everyone else and I assume that gap will only grow bigger and cause more confusing with respect to recommended levels the further I go in the game.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Seems like we're posing our dance jackpots.

Got this from Cyrus's chapter 3 boss. It was very thoughtful of the game to just hand me 20 levels right when I wanted to finish his story.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I didn't know nuts were permanent, I've got a shitload in my inventory I've just been ignoring.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Frankston posted:

I didn't know nuts were permanent, I've got a shitload in my inventory I've just been ignoring.

Better than me, I’ve got a shitload in my inventory I refuse to use because what if someone else needs it more oh god.

This is my curse in any RPG with stat-increasing items.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I've been giving a bunch to my main (Tressa) for now. I know I can't switch her out so I need her to be OP for the early/mid game, then the other nuts I get I'll just save for the late game. Although part of me suspects maybe I should keep everything to really min/max the late game. I still haven't started any ch2 yet, though. I'm really slow.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok. Why are the end credits unskippable?
And why did they show up after I finished ONE story?
They're not going to do this seven more times are they?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok. Why are the end credits unskippable?
And why did they show up after I finished ONE story?
They're not going to do this seven more times are they?

They only showed up for my main character so far, but I finished their story last of my main 4.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I haven't used a single nut yet.

In other totally related news I obtained one of the super jobs Runelord and cleared Therion's story. Now I can take him out of my party and spend some time with B Team.

Oh God this feels so wrong. Why is Therion not leading my parade around? Why does this feel so fundamentally broken from how I've known the entire game? :gonk:

I realize now that people are going to have wildly different feelings for characters like this based on who they started with. Therion feels like the protagonist in my heart and this is extremely awkward because none of the 8 are meant to be the "main" protagonist.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Evil Eagle posted:

They only showed up for my main character so far, but I finished their story last of my main 4.

Well I finished my MC's story first, just to have the freedom to take him out of the party.
Even though I totally want Alfyn in any major boss fight.
Oh, I can knock off 3 shields of any element whenever I feel like without expending MP? Ok then.
Oh, I can give my whole party +2 BP? Ok then.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Thread: Bewildering Grace is broken af

Me: Ok lets give it a go!

*Fully boosts dance
*1st round No Effect
*2nd round No Effect
*3rd round Brings party hp to 1
*4th round Explosion

Me: Awesome :thumbsup:

I did actually find something amazing while experimenting with the dance. You can summon a Cait as a rare monster and it replaces one of the enemies. :aaa:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I had that happen to me last night! But then it was the cat’s turn next. :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh God this feels so wrong. Why is Therion not leading my parade around? Why does this feel so fundamentally broken from how I've known the entire game? :gonk:

I realize now that people are going to have wildly different feelings for characters like this based on who they started with. Therion feels like the protagonist in my heart and this is extremely awkward because none of the 8 are meant to be the "main" protagonist.
This is a big problem :negative:

I gave up on trying to rotate characters because I can't not have the best duo, Tressa and Alfyn, in my party at all times, and Ophilia too because those kids need someone to take care of them. That leaves 1 spot for rotating characters and would sort of lose its purpose.

When I eventually complete their stories and go over to the B team I'll be stuck with the characters I wasn't that interested in playing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'll be really, really sad to not have Alfyn in my party for my post game stories. That said, no one in this game is actually bad, so while I definitely have a tier 1 and tier 2 in terms of who I want to play, tier2 isn't bad, they just aren't as great. I'll still have a blast and who knows maybe I will like them more! I'm already getting kinda sick of provoke and wish I had challenge so :shrug:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Your Computer posted:

This is a big problem :negative:

I gave up on trying to rotate characters because I can't not have the best duo, Tressa and Alfyn, in my party at all times, and Ophilia too because those kids need someone to take care of them. That leaves 1 spot for rotating characters and would sort of lose its purpose.

When I eventually complete their stories and go over to the B team I'll be stuck with the characters I wasn't that interested in playing.

By the endgame, my party consisted of Cyrus, Alfyn, Olberic, and Tressa/Therion/Ophilia. Cyrus and Olberic dish out the physical damage, Alfyn and the fourth member support through buffs/debuffs and heals.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I bet everyone's tier 1 is just the first 4 characters they get.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

E2M2 posted:

nope

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

E2M2 posted:

I went Alfyn, Prim, Olberic, Therion, Ophelia, Cyrus, H'aanit, Tressa and am running Alfyn, H'aanit, Ophelia, and Therion

I hated H'aanit in the demo, but she has become pretty endearing throughout her Ch2. It was also really funny having her olde english talking to a character with a southern drawl.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

E2M2 posted:

Nah. The characters I'd posit as definitely Tier 1s would be Cyrus, Alfyn, and Olberic since their base movesets (and also in Alfyn's case, his talent) are consistently useful throughout the game. OK, you eventually get classes that overlap with Cyrus and Olberic, but they are also the absolute best users of those classes over anyone else, especially in the case of the Sorcerer, because putting any of them on anyone else requires that character to double-dip into another role, taking away from the key reasons that make those characters great.

Tressa would be just below them because before the Runelord class comes in, she's not doing anything that'd warrant giving her a slot on the party with the possible exception of donating BP and acting as a secondary elemental attacker (and having a crutch skill in Hired Help). When Runelord comes in, she becomes one of the best support-oriented characters in the game, helping the party across all boards with offensive and defensive buffs, and still having the ability to Donate BP if you so desire.

Therion has extreme utility in his debuffs and functioning as a secondary physical attacker early-to-midgame, but lacks multi-target attacks and doesn't really do anything that would definitely warrant a spot in the party.

Ophilia has one job and that is to use her Divine Skill on Cyrus, but her abilities is otherwise situationally useful.

Primrose is for buffs and Sealticqe's Seduction, but the buffs don't play too much into factor until the lategame, so in the earlygame, she's subclassing something to take advantage of other things like Donating BP as a Merchant or being a second elemental attacker with the use of Shcolar until the time is right for the buff queen to take center stage.

Of course, everyone ultimately brings something good to your party set-up, and for the real final boss of the game, you have to train everyone to a reasonable level and split them into a magic-focused and a physically focused party so leveling everyone and making sure they're the best they can be is going to be useful.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bewlidering Grace is such a good design choice. It's this wholly optional chaos button and I love using it.

It has never not devastated my party.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well that sucked. I spent over an hour slowly fighting the runelord and then my entire party died when he was at like 4k HP :rip:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How many dudes are you supposed to have in one playthrough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How many dudes are you supposed to have in one playthrough?

As many as you want.