Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
There's one video where a Brazilian pizza shop is getting robbed and apparently the cops just started shooting as soon as they rolled up because the plate glass window shatters and one of the robbers collapses on the ground and squirms around all "oh no I've been shot in the spine" for a few seconds before his guts get blown out all over the floor. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

C.M. Kruger posted:

There's one video where a Brazilian pizza shop is getting robbed and apparently the cops just started shooting as soon as they rolled up because the plate glass window shatters and one of the robbers collapses on the ground and squirms around all "oh no I've been shot in the spine" for a few seconds before his guts get blown out all over the floor. :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqTQxB7HHWA

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

here's a different crime occuring at a brazilian pizza shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

The LiveLeak version is much better.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Locator posted:

It's a short video with a happy ending!

Gang member in Sao Paolo tries to rob a group of women who are picking their kids up from school.

One of the women is an off-duty cop. It doesn't go well for him (He doesn't die in this video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BuQ4MWrvr4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Gang member in Sao Paolo tries to rob a group of women who are picking their kids up from school.

One of the women is an off-duty cop. It doesn't go well for him (He doesn't die in this video).

Yeah but he ½ dies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

The only thing that would be more Brazilian is a kid stealing her bag once she tosses it behind her.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah but he ½ dies.

I don't know if flip-flops should really be considered shoes. They're like barely hanging on to your feet at the best of times.

His reaction after getting shot is loving precious though.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I don't know if flip-flops should really be considered shoes. They're like barely hanging on to your feet at the best of times.

His reaction after getting shot is loving precious though.

YOU SHOT ME! YOU SHOT ME RIGHT IN THE ARM WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A THING

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Please take Brazilian waxing to another thread...

Krasniy Prospekt
Oct 25, 2006
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/20/us/missouri-boat-incident/index.html
The Duck rides have come up a couple times in this thread before. One sank during a storm last night in the Ozarks.

"A tour boat carrying 31 people sank in a sudden and furious squall on a southwestern Missouri lake Thursday evening, leaving at least 13 people dead -- including children -- and four others missing, officials said.
The Ride the Ducks Branson duck boat capsized and sank on Table Rock Lake near Branson during a storm that "came out of nowhere," said Jim Pattison Jr., president of the business's parent company.
Divers resumed a search for the missing Friday morning, but it "doesn't look very good for survival," Missouri Gov. Mike Parson told CNN's "New Day.""

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Krasniy Prospekt posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/20/us/missouri-boat-incident/index.html
The Duck rides have come up a couple times in this thread before. One sank during a storm last night in the Ozarks.

"A tour boat carrying 31 people sank in a sudden and furious squall on a southwestern Missouri lake Thursday evening, leaving at least 13 people dead -- including children -- and four others missing, officials said.
The Ride the Ducks Branson duck boat capsized and sank on Table Rock Lake near Branson during a storm that "came out of nowhere," said Jim Pattison Jr., president of the business's parent company.
Divers resumed a search for the missing Friday morning, but it "doesn't look very good for survival," Missouri Gov. Mike Parson told CNN's "New Day.""

The bit about "we're not sure if they had time to put on life jackets while sinking" bugs the hell out of me. You're supposed to put the drat things on before you get on the boat. If you aren't a really strong swimmer, you are extra crazy for getting on a small boat without one.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Warbadger posted:

The bit about "we're not sure if they had time to put on life jackets while sinking" bugs the hell out of me. You're supposed to put the drat things on before you get on the boat. If you aren't a really strong swimmer, you are extra crazy for getting on a small boat without one.

Lol you don't wear a life jacket on a duck, it's not a canoe

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What a brilliant idea for a gameshow.

Take turns smacking the ice at your opponents feet, whoever falls through first, loses :allears:
I would watch this show.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

It's a floating school bus, no way to get out anyway.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

You wear one on any small boat, unless you are a huge fan of drowning. Canoes are at least sometimes positively bouyant and can be used as a less than ideal float after capsizing or swamping - a duck is going to the bottom with or without the passengers and any stowed gear once it takes on water.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 20, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

FogHelmut posted:

It's a floating school bus, no way to get out anyway.

It's open-topped though, just jump over the side?

The only way it would be totally enclosed is if the tour operator has added structure to make it that way, which seems like a hella dumb thing to do (at least as far as attracting tourists goes) compared with just having a sunshade or something.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jabor posted:

The only way it would be totally enclosed is if the tour operator has added structure to make it that way, which seems like a hella dumb thing to do (at least as far as attracting tourists goes) compared with just having a sunshade or something.

It's closed top.

http://amp.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article215219170.html

quote:

On Friday morning, there were still five people unaccounted for at Table Rock Lake. A witness video shows a Ride The Ducks boat, covered with an overhead roof, proving no match against 3-foot waves and 60 mile-per-hour winds before capsizing. The boat takes on the long and narrow shape of a bus with a canopy that offers seemingly little room for passengers to escape.

“It’s sort of like getting out of an airplane,” Robert Mongeluzzi, a Philadelphia attorney who has brought lawsuits against duck boat operators, told The Star early Friday morning. “This is not an open-sided boat where everybody can just pitch themselves over the side readily.”

quote:

“The problem with canopies is that if you are wearing your life preserver and there is a canopy and the boat capsizes then, the floatation device will take you up in the canopy, pinning you inside the vessel,” Mongeluzzi said. “If you don’t wear your life preserver, then you don’t have the floatation to get to the surface if the boat sinks.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://giant.gfycat.com/SociableBrownGrassspider.webm

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Edit: looks like we’re on the same osha reading schedule

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jabor posted:

No totally enclosed but the ones here in Philly had roofs added to them, which definitely makes it harder to get out Here's one right before it and a barge collided and killed two people (Pilot of the tug moving the barge went to prison for manslaughter):

The originals just had provisions for a canvas cover to keep out the rain and spray:

They're pretty much deathtraps. Not just for the people riding them, but for other people on the roads, because they have awful sight lines. They have awful sight lines, because they weren't designed as road-going vehicles but rather to land troops and supplies on a contested beach, which is something that's so dangerous that the additional dangers presented by the vehicle itself are negligible. That's not the case when they're driving around in a city carrying a load of tourists.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/396220791.html

quote:

Duck boat companies have had a string of bad luck -- and fatal accidents. And not just in Philadelphia, where Ride the Ducks International ceased operations Wednesday.

In Seattle, a duck boat collided with a charter bus on Seattle's Aurora Bridge in September 2015, killing five people and injuring many others.

In Boston, a 28-year-old woman was killed in April by a Boston Duck Tours vehicle while riding her scooter in Beacon Hill.

In May 2015, a duck boat struck and killed a Texas woman who was crossing the street at 11th and Arch Streets in Philadelphia's Chinatown.

In July 2010, two Hungarian students were killed when a tugboat struck a duck boat on the Delaware River.

Ride the Ducks shut down Philadelphia operations "indefinitely" this week, citing soaring insurance costs.

In a statement on its website, the company said: "Due to circumstances outside of our control, including a 330 percent increase in our insurance premiums, continued operations in Philadelphia are not financially feasible."

"Let's assume that we are only talking about the operations in Philadelphia," said Temple University insurance professor R.B. Drennan. "I suspect the liability insurance is what's driving this."

Ride the Ducks Philadelphia has had "huge wrongful-death losses" -- three people killed since 2010, said Drennan, who chairs the risk, insurance and healthcare management department at Temple's Fox School of Business.

"If I am an insurer, and this is one of my customers, do I really want to insure this enterprise? The answer is probably no," he said. 'The insurer's way of telling them, 'Hey, we don't want you as a customer anymore,' is to raise their insurance premium 330 percent."

"If there is any question about why their insurance rates have increased, it is because they continue to kill people," Mongeluzzi said. "This history of death goes back decades, starting with Miss Majestic in Arkansas, where 13 drowned in 1999."

gently caress the ducks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Someone get this guy into an ancient Mayan temple.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Someone get this guy into an ancient Mayan temple.

And someone else get him a fedora!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

It's closed top.

I just watched the video and those are completely unlike the Ducks that I rode in at Wisconsin Dells back in the day. As was said, they added what looks to be a fully enclosed top. I would love to know if that's legal because, well, what just happened is pretty drat foreseeable.

quote:

“The problem with canopies is that if you are wearing your life preserver and there is a canopy and the boat capsizes then, the floatation device will take you up in the canopy, pinning you inside the vessel,” Mongeluzzi said. “If you don’t wear your life preserver, then you don’t have the floatation to get to the surface if the boat sinks. 
[/b]
This is why aircraft floatation devices are pulled to inflate, and why the cabin crew tells people to not inflate them on touchdown. There's several accidents where a plane made a survivable water landing and some passengers got trapped inside a sinking plane by inflated life vests.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

quote:

If there is any question about why their insurance rates have increased, it is because they continue to kill people,
New thread title?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't think cop videos should be posted in this thread there's a whole thread about cops and I don't see what it has to do with OSHA. ty

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The most OSHA thing about cops isn't even them shooting guns, anyway. It's that none of them wear seatbelts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I road aboard a Duck in Boston a few years ago that had an enclosed top. We didn't have any issues until we were driving back to the aquarium where we got on and suddenly there was a screech of tires and a vague thump at the front of the vehicle.

Talking to the passengers up front and listening to the driver and cops on the scene, we pieced together what happened. A guy with only a learner's permit (which he didn't have on him at the time) was driving a friend's car that was much more powerful than he anticipated on a rainy day. When the light at a 4-way intersection turned green he just stomped on the gas, causing him to fishtail on the wet road, sideswipe a taxi (resulting in the taxi driver being put in an ambulance for whiplash), and lodge the front of the car under our Duck.

After about 30 to 45 minutes they had a backup on the way to pick us all up and take us back to the aquarium, resulting in an impromptu extension to the tour as we drove around Bunker Hill and within sight of the USS Constitution. The Duck took absolutely no damage and we barely even felt it due to the mass difference.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Phanatic posted:

quote:
Duck boat companies have had a string of bad luck -- and fatal accidents.

lol "bad luck". This loving planet...

"Yes, Alex. I will take Bad Luck Ducks, for the win"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wow it's almost as if a ww2 assault landing craft doesn't have the sort of safety provisions we expect from any public transportation business, like a tour operator, in 2018

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Warbadger posted:

You wear one on any small boat, unless you are a huge fan of drowning. Canoes are at least sometimes positively bouyant and can be used as a less than ideal float after capsizing or swamping - a duck is going to the bottom with or without the passengers and any stowed gear once it takes on water.

You're dumb lol

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
All Duck boats need to have their licenses revoked immediately.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't think cop videos should be posted in this thread there's a whole thread about cops and I don't see what it has to do with OSHA. ty

If this thread was specifically limited to work safety related posting it would be much smaller and less interesting than it is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Wow it's almost as if a ww2 assault landing craft doesn't have the sort of safety provisions we expect from any public transportation business, like a tour operator, in 2018

Most of them aren’t actually WW2 vehicles. Some of them are styled after vintage military transports, but they’re almost all newly manufactured for tour companies.

AmmoniumAcetate
Sep 23, 2003
Don't mess with Earth

chitoryu12 posted:

Most of them aren’t actually WW2 vehicles. Some of them are styled after vintage military transports, but they’re almost all newly manufactured for tour companies.

Wait wait wait... It was one thing when I figured they were buying these things for nothing from some rusty government scrap yard for nothing, slapping a coat of paint on them and charging 20 bucks a head. How on earth could it be legal to manufacture and sell one of these things in the 21st century?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

This guy would make an excellent addition to Geordi's engineering staff.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

AmmoniumAcetate posted:

Wait wait wait... It was one thing when I figured they were buying these things for nothing from some rusty government scrap yard for nothing, slapping a coat of paint on them and charging 20 bucks a head. How on earth could it be legal to manufacture and sell one of these things in the 21st century?

He's talking about these:

https://www.seahorseamphibious.com/

Which aren't the WWII vehicles; there's a resemblance but they're actually regulation-compliant and meet safety standards.

But most DUKW tours sure aren't using those.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 20, 2018

schmug
May 20, 2007

look, the re-re is calling someone dumb again! durrrp.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AmmoniumAcetate posted:

Most Ducks don't share much lineage with the old vehicles beyond the basic concept. Here's one from Austin:

Here's the one that sank:

I'd say the bigger problem is that they sailed out in a massive storm that capsized the vehicle. A lot of boats of the same size would have been hosed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I think that's a bit of an overstatement.

Video's here:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/missouri-duck-boat-capsizes-children-12950635

That's not that major of a storm and plenty of boats that size would have been fine because they're more stable platforms with a higher freeboard and won't roll over and go straight to the bottom in that kind of sea(*). Because they're purpose-built boats.

* - Lake, whatever.