Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (or FMLA), signed into law during President Bill Clinton's first term, mandates a minimum of 12 weeks unpaid leave to mothers for the purpose of attending to a newborn or newly adopted child.[8] However, the act does not attain universal coverage as it includes several limiting stipulations. In order to receive maternity leave, employees must work in a firm of 50 or more employees, maintain employment with the same business for 12 months and have accumulated at least 1,250 working hours over those 12 months. As of 2012, 59% of American employees were eligible under the FMLA.[9]

Haha yeah unpaid "maternity leave". That's also likely to get you fired because of "right to work" laws.

Even loving North Korea has paid maternity leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Well you see, it might work fine everywhere else but because America is the greatest country in the world it JUST WOULDN'T WORK the same way here

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Elman posted:

Haha yeah unpaid "maternity leave". That's also likely to get you fired because of "right to work" laws.

No it isn't because the whole point of FMLA is to protect your job while you're off.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Skypie posted:

lol I didn't even know companies would let you transfer vacation time like this

The large corporation I work for had a thing during the last hurricanes to donate your time off to the victims in Texas and Puerto Rico, instead of just giving them time off to rebuild their destroyed homes and then stores.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ChesterJT posted:

No it isn't because the whole point of FMLA is to protect your job while you're off.

lol

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Former Valve dude has giant meltdown on Twitter and shares his work experience with the rest of the world

https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1018642399512420352

It's too long to parse on Twitter, so some reddit dude dumped it in a thread. Pretty interesting stuff. Some of his comments on self-organizing companies echo my experience working with ~anarchist~ communes.

https://old.reddit.com/r/valve/comments/8zmp07/former_valve_employee_tweets_his_experience_at/?sort=confidence

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Your job will be perfectly safe while you're on unpaid leave. Can't promise you won't get fired for bullshit reasons after you come back from it, though.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

The large corporation I work for had a thing during the last hurricanes to donate your time off to the victims in Texas and Puerto Rico, instead of just giving them time off to rebuild their destroyed homes and then stores.

Just loving name it.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Never have your company (or one of its owners) cosign your mortgage. You’ll be potentially locked in and when you want to leave it’s going to cause anxiety. (I’ve seen this happen.)

:wtf:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

That last one reminds me of a pharaoh's tomb. All the useless garbage he ever collected, sealed in with the greasy neckbeard on his way to the underworld.

Actually am legit jealous of the gaming setup. Looks very comfortable.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

mike12345 posted:

Former Valve dude has giant meltdown on Twitter and shares his work experience with the rest of the world

https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1018642399512420352

It's too long to parse on Twitter, so some reddit dude dumped it in a thread. Pretty interesting stuff. Some of his comments on self-organizing companies echo my experience working with ~anarchist~ communes.

https://old.reddit.com/r/valve/comments/8zmp07/former_valve_employee_tweets_his_experience_at/?sort=confidence

of all the poo poo in this thread for some reason this is the poo poo that cut me deepest.

I was a loving sperm when half life 2 came out... sort've, twelve or so, I dunno early teens when you're just starting to get your brain feet beneath you and I really loved it and I wanted to make video games, I used to buy the hype about valve when they made games and when they released that 'handbook' I was stoked it made me think I could be a part of that and have my creative voice become reality.

I mean I moved on from those ridiculous dreams because of my lack of talent, coding skill and motivation... surviving day by day becomes generally more important than things like personal integrity, your ideas and visions or just yaknow... dreams. But for some reason this still cuts like a cold knife...

ow my soul...

necroid
May 14, 2009

it's ok, Motherfucker

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

necroid posted:

it's ok, Motherfucker

not really though.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Motherfucker posted:

of all the poo poo in this thread for some reason this is the poo poo that cut me deepest.

I was a loving sperm when half life 2 came out... sort've, twelve or so, I dunno early teens when you're just starting to get your brain feet beneath you and I really loved it and I wanted to make video games, I used to buy the hype about valve when they made games and when they released that 'handbook' I was stoked it made me think I could be a part of that and have my creative voice become reality.

I mean I moved on from those ridiculous dreams because of my lack of talent, coding skill and motivation... surviving day by day becomes generally more important than things like personal integrity, your ideas and visions or just yaknow... dreams. But for some reason this still cuts like a cold knife...

ow my soul...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-9AfdzMw5w

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ChesterJT posted:

It's unpaid leave, your company will just hire someone to cover you and fire you on your first day back because lol it doesn't need a reason in an at will state.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol imagine spending so much money and time buying and organising all this useless crap and still only having a single monitor

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dead Peasant Insurance

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-there-a-dead-peasant-life-insurance-policy-out-on-you-2011-11

quote:

The insurance was to help compensate the companies for the loss of the employees' highly valued services. Later, some companies decided that employee life insurance was a sound investment in general, and they began to take out policies on low- and middle-level employees. At times, the employees would not be informed. Interest would accrue on the policies, and the proceeds were non-taxable. Also, the cash value of the policies could serve as loan collateral.

Serfin USA

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hope you don't live in Pennsylvania and plan to retire

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiehopkins/2018/07/16/a-new-retirement-risk-unclaimed-property-laws/#4dd1c9ea52b8

quote:

In 2016, Pennsylvania enacted an unclaimed property rule that essentially treats retirement accounts no differently than all other accounts. After just three years of inactivity, regardless of the account holder’s age, the account will now qualify as unclaimed property...If you think this rule doesn’t impact you because you don’t live in Pennsylvania, think again. Since the rule requires financial institutions to report the abandoned property, it applies to the financial institutions in Pennsylvania, specifically mutual-fund giant Vanguard.

This new law in Pennsylvania, which was widely criticized as a deviation from standard practices and removed protections for investors that typically allow retirement accounts to be protected from escheatment until much later, typically age 70.5. This change puts a substantial burden on anyone with accounts held in Pennsylvania.

...after receiving feedback from various stakeholders, Pennsylvania Treasury published Policy Guidance suspending enforcement of portions of the law relating to the abandonment of retirement accounts until further guidance is issued by the Treasury or the law is changed. This appears to be a commonsense response but the fact remains that the law is still on the books."

quote:

This means you should continue to log into your accounts every year, check the balances, and make sure your contact information is current. It’s also a good idea to make sure you know the definition of “inactive” that applies to your accounts. For instance, automatically reinvested dividends or interest may not be enough to qualify to keep your account in “active” status on their own, even though additional shares are being purchased on an ongoing basis. The same may also be true of automatically recurring distributions sent to banks or other accounts..

Retired and no longer contributing to your retirement account? How dare you!

Your account is now inactive and we're closing it!

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

For instance, automatically reinvested dividends or interest may not be enough to qualify to keep your account in “active” status on their own, even though additional shares are being purchased on an ongoing basis. The same may also be true of automatically recurring distributions sent to banks or other accounts..

lmao

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

EugeneJ posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiehopkins/2018/07/16/a-new-retirement-risk-unclaimed-property-laws/#4dd1c9ea52b8

Lol. The whole point of mutual funds like vanguard is that you can litterally forget you own stocks with them for a decade and they'll keep taking care of it for you. This is loving outrageous.

Who gets the money when the account closes down?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the bank, I assume

gonna lol when a bunch of people find out woops sorry your parents' accounts were "unclaimed property" when it comes time to sort out estates

e: looks like the state gets it actually, in the Pennsylvania situation. Still moronic a f though

COMRADES has issued a correction as of 15:30 on Jul 20, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

That's the kind of poo poo that used to get people shot.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Apparently the state gets it and puts it into a general fund and you can claim the money forever but you'll just have to pay taxes on it because you'll lose the tax bonuses the retirement account gave you

that's not nearly as bad as I was thinking, although still stupid.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

COMRADES posted:

Apparently the state gets it and puts it into a general fund and you can claim the money forever but you'll just have to pay taxes on it because you'll lose the tax bonuses the retirement account gave you

that's not nearly as bad as I was thinking, although still stupid.

With most unclaimed property they have to try to contact you a few times too before they give up and turn it over to the state so it's probably fine, still a stupid law though :shrug:

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol the state is deliberately wiping out the benefits of having retirement investments so they can get a interest free loan while making the person with the assets pay for the luxury of having their savings held hostage

:waycool:

Scary! has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Jul 20, 2018

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Capitalism.....? Yea it's really good

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Actually it's bad op

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo

http://www.mcall.com/news/watchdog/mc-nws-unclaimed-property-pennsylvania-budget-watchdog-20170626-story.html

quote:

Most of us would be thrilled to learn we have $109,000 in unclaimed property being held for us by the state. Not Albert Reider.

He would prefer his money was still invested in stock and earning dividends as it did for 33 years.

Reider, of Forks Township, told me the company managing his shares, Broadridge Corporate Issuer Solutions, gave his account to the state Treasury as unclaimed property last year without contacting him, and then the state sold the shares. He didn’t find out about it until nearly nine months later, when he got a letter from the state in January.

Reider estimates that cost him thousands of dollars in dividends, and he likely will face capital gains taxes on the sale.

He questioned why Broadridge didn’t call or write before turning his account over. He is easy to find. He’s lived in the same home for 12 years, and only a month earlier Broadridge sent an account statement there.

The state knows where he lives, too. He files taxes every year and registers his car.

“The state has my address,” Reider said. “Broadridge has my address.”

It is a disturbing scenario. What’s even more disturbing is the system worked as it was intended to. Both Broadridge and the state followed the law. And while the system has changed some since then, what happened to Reider could still happen to you.

The unclaimed property system is designed to force businesses to turn over money and other valuables — such as funds from a bank or investment account, proceeds from an insurance payment, a deposit on a utility account or unclaimed wages — that people may have forgotten about, so the state can try to return them.

But the system also can siphon assets that are entirely on your radar, such as Reider’s stock. And your loss may become the state’s gain, even for a short while.

When the state receives unclaimed property, it counts it as revenue until it is returned to its rightful owner. And the state has been bringing in more unclaimed property in recent years because it changed the law to require some property to be considered abandoned sooner than it used to be. In 2002, the dormancy period was reduced from seven years to five years. In 2014, it was reduced from five years to three years.

The net revenue — the difference between the amount of unclaimed property taken in and paid out to people who claim it — more than doubled, from $345.7 million to $796.7 million over that period. You only have to look at the budget stalemate going on now in Harrisburg and the state’s projected $3 billion deficit to understand why state officials would be tempted to use what essentially is found money.

“The state wants that money and they need it so badly and they know they can’t tax, tax, tax because they’ll lose popularity,” Reider said.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Amateur Saboteur posted:

for me to poop on!!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

At the time, Pennsylvania was one of only two states that did not require notification.

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Congrats at being worse than Florida at something, Pennsylvania!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

Tamara Salmon, associate general counsel for the Investment Company Institute, which represents mutual fund companies and opposes the changes [...]“In our view, they are placing the states’ interests ahead of the interest the shareholder has in the property,” Salmon said. “These laws do a disservice to investors.”

When you put it like that, it doesn't sound so bad

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm trying to figure out what the other state is that doesn't require notification

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the other state is that doesn't require notification

Yeah now I'm curious, I found a slideshow from 2013 that says "All jurisdictions except Pennsylvania now require due diligence" which just leaves me even more confused

e: Here we go

quote:

The exception to this requirement is Pennsylvania, where there is no due diligence requirement, and Delaware, where the due diligence requirement is limited to securities-related property.

So it's Delaware, with a big asterisk next to it

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^ edit: well done!

This appears to be the most accurate list of states and how many years they wait before considering an account dormant:

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payroll/training/blog/what-is-escheat-law/

EugeneJ has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Jul 20, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Inept posted:

When you put it like that, it doesn't sound so bad

Investors deserve to be disserviced. Just like lobbyists. gently caress em all

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Aramoro posted:

It's unpaid leave, your company will just hire someone to cover you and fire you on your first day back because lol it doesn't need a reason in an at will state.

The federal government doesn’t even allow new mothers FMLA time unless there was a complication with the pregnancy or the child is sick.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

Investors deserve to be disserviced. Just like lobbyists. gently caress em all

Don't worry, anyone with a net worth higher than about half a mil has someone managing this for them so they'll never be affected, only poor people with a pittance of a retirement fund will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"