Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Thank God I'm not addicted to anything

In other news I am going to play video games from the time I get off work tonight until it's time to go to work on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

In other news I am going to play video games from the time I get off work tonight until it's time to go to work on Monday.

:emptyquote:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

It's pretty nuts here. Police and all other first responders are carrying and being trained on using narcan, a miracle drug that nearly instantly reverses the effects of an opiod OD. The ODs are becoming more common as heroin is being cut with increasing amounts of fentinyl that is itself becoming stronger. It's a big loving mess that started with over prescription of drugs. Like pharma companies send tens of thousands of pills of super opiods to doctors in tiny, rural communities. Now were debating how to/should we hold big pharma responsible? How do we punish street dealers? Bad doctors? How do we help or punish addicts? My coworker injured his back badly and his doctor is like, "sorry I'm not giving you an opiods just take handfuls of ibuprofen."

Like I said a few lines ago, it's a big loving mess.

:psyduck: indeed.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

When I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed, On the bill they used a ketamine based concoction to knock me out called Twilight. When I came to I was singing the banana boat song with the nurse until my family took me home. They put me on T3s for the rest of the week. I was high as gently caress.

But yeah no smoking weed cause dry socket

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9ZkYViEIs

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Saint Freak posted:

:same:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Saint Freak posted:

Same, but also drunk.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I still have my wisdom teeth

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Cherish those wise boys

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Lookit all these post tooth removal stoners who have never smoked with a steamroller before. Granted, you need a friend to help, but I was taking hits a day after getting two wisdom teeth and a broken molar removed in February. I also still have a bottle full of oxycodone that they prescribed for me but I had virtually no pain and didn't take any.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sakurazuka posted:

I still have my wisdom teeth

Same, was just going to post I was glad mine didn't grow all hosed up. They're just a bit to the side, I think?

It's only a pain to brush them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i tried to smoke a steamroller once but i couldn't fit it in my pipe

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GUI posted:

I remember people on this very forum near the end of last gen around 2012 talking about how next gen consoles weren't necessary because Red Dead Redemption was the pinnacle of video game graphics and they wouldn't look any better nor was better hardware needed for anything.

From forever ago but...kinda? The PS4/XB1 generation looks better graphically but isn't all that much of a leap from the PS3/360, really, and other than Hitman I think almost all games could have been backported to PS3/360 if there was demand and a set mind to do so, especially when you consider that games like GTA 5 and Metal Gear Solid V and Destiny were on those consoles just fine. Likewise, whatever the next generation is going to look like, is a game on those running at 4K30 really going to be completely impossible to run at 900p30 on the PS4/XB1? Or be a meaningful upgrade if you don't have a 4K TV?

It's definitely getting weird where a bunch of genres or sort of plateauing at different points, like how visual novels mostly hit their stride on DS and PSP, and at least the game portion of Street Fighter V is effectively no different from what the Dreamcast was doing with Third Strike and Soul Calibur 2 and the like.

doingitwrong posted:

I am in love with Captain Toad and Octopath Traveller's tiny-diorama world styles and I want you all to tell me about more current or upcoming games that feel like playing with lovingly-made miniatures.

PSVR's got a few options like this to really bring the illusion home. The Demo disc has this single-level top-down platformer that works really well with it and I believe they're making a whole game of it.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 20, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I heard that captain toad switch has co-op so I went to go check out what it was like but I guess it's one player controlling toad and the other being a cursor on the screen that shoots stuff and that's not as cool as what I was expecting (toad and toadette walkin around treasure tracking together)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It's time to drink drat good coffee and think like Hodeo Kojumbo watching Davood Lunch's Town Pecks for inspiration

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I can't tell if the RWBY thing is super popular or if everyone just uses her in Blazblue because she's v strong

She's not like excessively powerful or anything but people loving love RWBY and she's probably the easiest RWBY character to use. Idgaf about RWBY but Blake is probably one of the best chars in the game, you see more Blake than Ruby at higher levels of competition

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

isn't RWBY an anime done by the red versus blue guys from the 00's

that always seemed like a weird career progression to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also Blake has a ram palette 😍 :worship:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
having watched all of twin peaks back to back for the first time a few months ago, i can't imagine going into season three without watching fire walk with me first

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

FirstAidKite posted:

I heard that captain toad switch has co-op so I went to go check out what it was like but I guess it's one player controlling toad and the other being a cursor on the screen that shoots stuff and that's not as cool as what I was expecting (toad and toadette walkin around treasure tracking together)

The partner also controls the camera angle which was hilarious when I tried it with my mom

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

It has worked well enough that it ended up being dubbed into Japanese.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Remember that scene in Austin Powers in which the titular character stream rolled a bad guy? That guy had so long to move out of the way... did he think he could smoke the steam roller?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Wildtortilla posted:

Remember that scene in Austin Powers in which the titular character stream rolled a bad guy? That guy had so long to move out of the way... did he think he could smoke the steam roller?

Austin stopped time for ~9 seconds during that. Standard steamroller attacking procedure.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

i can't trust gdc stuff anymore knowing that they brought in unionbusters to host their panels about the place unions have in game development last year

Is it this article?/ Because Google isn't giving me any other results.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Harrow posted:

The one thing I took away from getting my wisdom teeth out in high school was that nitrous oxide is way cooler than I thought it would be. People called it "happy gas" or "laughing gas" but that isn't at all what it did. At the time I was terrified of needles so they gave it to me before they started the process to put me under anesthesia, and it just made me not give a gently caress about anything. It was like reaching a state of nirvana while I was still conscious. They had trouble inserting the IV into my arm and they had to put it in my wrist, which they told me would hurt a lot more (and I knew from prior experience that was true). I was like, fine, go for it. And it did! It hurt a whole lot! And I just didn't give a gently caress. The pain was there, totally unmitigated, but my brain was like :shrug:

I used to be terrible about needles. Still don't like 'em, but just gotta get on with it. So I had a course of painful injections and it stopped me from freaking out. been a while since I had to have any for anything but this was exactly my experience. it's weird stuff and you can see why victorians apparently had parties where they'd get a big bag of the stuff and just chill out. also everything is funny on it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

McDragon posted:

I used to be terrible about needles. Still don't like 'em, but just gotta get on with it. So I had a course of painful injections and it stopped me from freaking out. been a while since I had to have any for anything but this was exactly my experience. it's weird stuff and you can see why victorians apparently had parties where they'd get a big bag of the stuff and just chill out. also everything is funny on it

Yeah, my fear of needles went away basically via immersion therapy. Long story short I used to be very badly overweight (which thankfully I managed to change late in college) and that made it difficult for clinicians to find veins to draw blood or give me injections. So at one point I needed to have blood drawn because I was having some very strange and painful reactions and we had to go to the little hospital in my college town, late at night. The nurse who was trying to draw my blood absolutely could not find a vein. I think he stuck me about 12 times before going in the back of my hand, which hurt quite a lot.

After that, though, I don't give the faintest gently caress about needles. That was like 12 years ago and nothing has ever been nearly as bad since, and I figure if I can get through that I can deal with getting blood drawn, giving blood, getting injections, etc. no problem.

I don't exactly recommend that kind of experience for people with a fear of needles because it could easily have backfired and been so traumatic that it made my fear worse, but in my case, at least, it just made it impossible to be scared of them anymore.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

McDragon posted:

it's weird stuff and you can see why victorians apparently had parties where they'd get a big bag of the stuff and just chill out. also everything is funny on it

you can still do this with some whippits and a ballon if you want, no need to be victorian. Good fun.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I can't tell if the RWBY thing is super popular or if everyone just uses her in Blazblue because she's v strong

It's probably both. RWBY is insanely popular for its character designs despite the story and writing being a massive trainwreck.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Wildtortilla posted:

It's pretty nuts here. Police and all other first responders are carrying and being trained on using narcan, a miracle drug that nearly instantly reverses the effects of an opiod OD. The ODs are becoming more common as heroin is being cut with increasing amounts of fentinyl that is itself becoming stronger. It's a big loving mess that started with over prescription of drugs. Like pharma companies send tens of thousands of pills of super opiods to doctors in tiny, rural communities. Now were debating how to/should we hold big pharma responsible? How do we punish street dealers? Bad doctors? How do we help or punish addicts? My coworker injured his back badly and his doctor is like, "sorry I'm not giving you an opiods just take handfuls of ibuprofen."

Like I said a few lines ago, it's a big loving mess.

:psyduck: indeed.

pharma companies have money so nothing will happen. poor people do not have money so they’ll be getting punished, for being poor

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Hey this is a weird question but does any one in here have an organ transplant story?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
re-bought some of those rocksteady batman games since they're $10, curious to see if they hold up since im not a high school student anymore who thinks batman is very cool

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hey this is a weird question but does any one in here have an organ transplant story?
I might soon! so....stay tuned!

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 20, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Asylum is genuinely great, City suffers from the switch to open world but is still pretty decent.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

univbee posted:

From forever ago but...kinda? The PS4/XB1 generation looks better graphically but isn't all that much of a leap from the PS3/360, really, and other than Hitman I think almost all games could have been backported to PS3/360 if there was demand and a set mind to do so, especially when you consider that games like GTA 5 and Metal Gear Solid V and Destiny were on those consoles just fine. Likewise, whatever the next generation is going to look like, is a game on those running at 4K30 really going to be completely impossible to run at 900p30 on the PS4/XB1? Or be a meaningful upgrade if you don't have a 4K TV?

It's definitely getting weird where a bunch of genres or sort of plateauing at different points, like how visual novels mostly hit their stride on DS and PSP, and at least the game portion of Street Fighter V is effectively no different from what the Dreamcast was doing with Third Strike and Soul Calibur 2 and the like.

I don't know if I'd even say it's less of the leap, but the impact of the leap is definitely a lot lower. I think the N64/PSX->PS2 gen was the last one where the visual improvement felt like a difference of kind rather than degree. For me personally anyway. I sure don't get excited about new consoles anymore, at any rate. Just more crap I gotta buy if I want to play platform exclusive games.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, my fear of needles went away basically via immersion therapy.

Same, I used to get a pretty bad vasovagal reaction from even the tiniest of needles but after I started donating blood regularly it's just something I find mildly unpleasant.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 20, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

I always thought it was more Monty Oum's big passion project that they let him do when he was recruited to Rooster Teeth for other stuff that just kept growing and growing even past his death to the point that now its a big part of what they make.

I heard it was bad so I never watched it but that is a sweet story in its own way.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm probably never gonna watch RWBY but I have to give it at least some respect for managing to be a western anime that became huge in Japan. From what I can tell, That almost never happens

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

Disappointing. I was this close to dropping bucks on it but I guess I won't now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm probably never gonna watch RWBY but I have to give it at least some respect for managing to be a western anime that became huge in Japan. From what I can tell, That almost never happens

idk if Huge is the right term, and BBTag tanked in Japan. Although from the start it was billed as a game specifically geared towards the western market (no Arcade release, including english dubs for a lot ofcharacters that had never seen them before etc), so its not really a surprise. The story I heard floated all the time is that the producer of BlazBlue is just a huge RWBY fan himself and basically single handedly got the business deals done to get RWBY in their crossover game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

undertale was a smash western anime success

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

undertale is in smash bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Housh posted:

no smoking cause dry socket

The doc just told me to clamp down on the gauze I had rolled up in there when I went out for a smoke, no dry socket so it must have been alright.

• Locked thread