Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

You can do a pretty good job with just hot keys in Traktor.

This is only tangentially related, but I’ve been doing an all vinyl dance show on a college station, and while the station has technics they are hooked up directly to the board so all I have are up faders wired to auto start the tables. I think i’ve learned more doing that than just about anything else since I started DJing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I've made a dozen mixes with just the mouse in Traktor, the only part that I really want a rotary for is tempo because the arrow buttons are not fine-grained enough and the key mapping is esoteric poo poo to me.

I mean I'm used to setting up controllers, I'm just not used to setting up such a huge list of 'm. It'd really help if you could use something like this for plugins for it.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 8, 2018

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Super86 posted:

Thanks everybody for your answers.
I'll follow your advice about hinking long term and start using Mixxx instead of the software that comes with the controller that apparently nobody knows (DJUCED 40).
At the moment I'm in the "fooling in your bedroom" phase, but I'm enjoying it and might go further soon.

I'm a little late to this conversation, but I started on a Hercules DJ controller ($40) back in 03/04 w/ a pirated copy of traktor (which you could consider doing in the interim so that you don't lose 'work' and playlists). Upgraded to turntables after I knew it was for me, eventually to CDJs to save money on music (records are expensive), and then to more professional/mobile controllers in the last few years to support my lifestyle and needs better.

Don't feel bad or wrong about starting where you are.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 8, 2018

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

mitztronic posted:

I'm a little late to this conversation, but I started on a Hercules DJ controller ($40) back in 03/04 w/ a pirated copy of traktor (which you could consider doing in the interim so that you don't lose 'work' and playlists). Upgraded to turntables after I knew it was for me, eventually to CDJs to save money on music (records are expensive), and then to more professional/mobile controllers in the last few years to support my lifestyle and needs better.

Don't feel bad or wrong about starting where you are.

Thanks for your encouragement :)

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Suggestions for a minimal setup using xdj1000s?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

an skeleton posted:

Suggestions for a minimal setup using xdj1000s?

If it's just at home, get a DJM 450 mk2 and two studio monitors and you're set. If you're concerned about having future channels available, monitor outputs, or just more effects and the best mixer beneath a DJM900NXS, get the DJM 750 mk2.

The great thing about the XDJ 1000's is that you don't need a laptop. I've been trying to get second hand Mk2's for a couple months but they're never around or they're only a few hundred under new ones retail.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

After mixing using cdjs for the last ten years I want to try vinyl, however obviously it is quite a bit more expensive. My two questions are

1) are SL-1200s my best option or is there something less pricy? If I went with the SLs I would definitely buy used.

2) Is Juno the best place for vinyl online? I'm interested in techno, specifically dub/deep/ambient stuff, like Luigi Tozzi, Neel, Donato Dozzy, Svreca, Dino Sabatini, David Hasert, Evigt Mörker ... or labels like Spazio Disponibile, Hypnus, Northern Electronics, Semantica. I know a lot of those guys are on bandcamp as well.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
The Pioneer turntables are just as good as the 1200s but you will probably be able to find used 1200s at a cheaper price than the Pioneers. It'll also be easier to find someone to fix your 1200s if anything is wrong with them. `

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there any major differences in the SL types? i.e. MKxxx

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

actionjackson posted:

The MK2 have the pitch lock groove (instead of a button) which is a pain in the rear end to deal with when mixing

Look for M3Ds or better

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alright. Also I know CDJs have master tempo so that you can adjust the speed without affecting the pitch (though it will affect the sound quality) - at least I think that's right.

For turntables can you only do something equivalent through software?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, Traktor has a key lock function that does the same thing as 'master tempo' on a CDJ, but better. The CDJ key lock has some weird phasing issues when it's engaged.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just realized that by default bandcamp mp3s are VBR which won't work with my old cdjs (200s) (they play, but you can't scan or anything). Does anyone if the second mp3 type (just says 320) is CBR? Otherwise I would need to convert them somehow.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I just realized that by default bandcamp mp3s are VBR which won't work with my old cdjs (200s) (they play, but you can't scan or anything). Does anyone if the second mp3 type (just says 320) is CBR? Otherwise I would need to convert them somehow.

Yeah, I buy a lot of tracks from Bandcamp; they're a constant 320.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well I won't make that mistake again....

Also back to turntables, what about the Audio Technica AT-LP120BK?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Never played on them but my brother has one purely for vinyl listening, build quality, weight, and torque all felt good. I've heard and read they're decent for DJ duty, especially in a home set-up.

Also: I think you can re-download from Bandcamp in any format, just click on collection in the upper right to see your stuff and under each item is a small linky.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yep, got them at 320 CBR, thanks.

Honestly, the turntable thing is really tempting just because I like having an actual physical record, but at the same time, it's just so much more expensive, and obviously many tracks will either not be on vinyl, or they will be but be constantly sold out.

Also in reference to master tempo, is that something you can handle with something like Audacity? For example I have some tracks that are 120, and are 128. I assume if I tried to mix them together it wouldn't sound very good on vinyl, as you'd have to adjust the bpm on both to 124 or whatever. With digital files I don't really have to worry about this.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I got into vinyl about a year ago to sample for hip-hop production. It is a ton of fun digging for records, but has definitely become a bit of an obsession and hurts the wallet. I wouldn’t go back and change anything though.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

actionjackson posted:

Well I won't make that mistake again....

Also back to turntables, what about the Audio Technica AT-LP120BK?

Not as good as technics or the super OEMs but they are much cheaper, the motor is not as good but if you're not planning to scratch that won't make any difference.

The biggest downside is that they won't hold their value like technics will but if you don't plan to sell them who cares

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

actionjackson posted:

Honestly, the turntable thing is really tempting just because I like having an actual physical record, but at the same time, it's just so much more expensive, and obviously many tracks will either not be on vinyl, or they will be but be constantly sold out.

Also in reference to master tempo, is that something you can handle with something like Audacity? For example I have some tracks that are 120, and are 128. I assume if I tried to mix them together it wouldn't sound very good on vinyl, as you'd have to adjust the bpm on both to 124 or whatever. With digital files I don't really have to worry about this.

The pitch lock in Traktor is going to be higher quality than the CDJs and as good if not better than whatever you might do in Audacity.

Be sure to flip on the “high cpu” setting if you are on a modern laptop for better quality. Last I recall that is not the default setting

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I would like to eventually upgrade my turntable setup to be more DJ-friendly but don't really know what I need. I currently have an AT-LP120, using the stock tone-arm and headshell, but upgraded the cartridge/stylus to a Ortofon 2M Red. I feel like when I try to scratch, the needle tends shake a bit and I am not sure what part needs an upgrade. When I have watched videos of my favorite DJs/Producers, most if not all of them are using a Concorde-style cartridge. Any suggestions?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

The obvious ones are make sure anit-skate is set to 0, have the proper (or slightly more) counterweight, and the record fits nicely on the spindle. However the 2M is way more an audiophile cart. The DJ oriented carts like Concords have a rugged suspension to handle back-cueing and scratching so this could totally be the issue.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What are the cheapest Pioneer CDJs that take USB sticks? The discontinued 400s?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Those or the 350s which I had first starting out. 350s actually make use of Rekordbox better than the 400s which were around before Rekordbox was a thing.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks.

The dubfire documentary is on vimeo - 99c for a 48 hour rental. Checking out now. Will try not to vomit whenever Guetta is on screen.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/abovegroundleveldubfire

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Virgil Vox posted:

The obvious ones are make sure anit-skate is set to 0, have the proper (or slightly more) counterweight, and the record fits nicely on the spindle. However the 2M is way more an audiophile cart. The DJ oriented carts like Concords have a rugged suspension to handle back-cueing and scratching so this could totally be the issue.

Sorry I never responded back but thanks a lot for the response. Definitely going to look at a concorde cartridge when I decide to upgrade. Now the problem seems to be that there are so drat many types.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Happy 707 day, Jeff Mills!

Although, I don't really miss mine. I blew it up with an inattentive AC power supply (then sold it for way more than it was worth to a nutcase who knew the CPU was fried yet thought he could resurrect it anyway). The 707s main compelling feature was the individual outs for triggering better sound sources on top of a game'n'watch x0x interface with MIDI or DIN sync, and there are a multitude of flavours of that available now.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

Hey, would anybody be able to tell me what DJ equipment this is?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
maschine/maschine mikro

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Do people still use Kaoss pads? Those things were fun as hell.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My KP3 still sits proudly as a return track in my template Ableton set, but I haven't written a tune in a minute.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

$425 a good price for a used CDJ 850K? My local guitar center has a pair right now. Also looking at 850 because the K just means it's black no actual additional features.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
That's a good price for them. Just be aware that the CDJ900+ are better because you can link them together.

edit: it may not matter to you. use can still use the usb connection on the 850 to connect to traktor/serato. if you don't, you just need to double up on cds and usb sticks. kind of annoying

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 20, 2018

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah having two sticks is fine. Or to put it another way I'm not going to pay an extra 500+ to save myself ten seconds.

Keep in mind right now I'm using the ancient cdj 200s so USB alone is a huge upgrade.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Got a pair of cdj-850s for ~370 each which is pretty drat good.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

actionjackson posted:

What slimfast said. Also the latest model changes the pitch slider from analog to digital (but not the sound). I can't recall if this is the MK5 (which I have) or if there is one after it. That's another small difference.

actionjackson posted:

Well, no. With digital you just match the numbers and voila or the program's algorithm does it for you. And magically meeting at 124 from 120 and 128 is not how it's done. It meets at the master tempo or else your dancefloor is going to be :wtc: why did that song slow down or speed up dramatically? Matching 120 and 128 if both tracks are in the same key might interfere with Key Harmony and that's where your ears start to come in.

I've never been a fan of Master Tempo or Key Locking - especially on CDJs. I just listen if if the track works. If not, I'll find similar keys that need less adjustment and move from there. Trust your ears.

With vinyl, you will definitely have to use your ears. But you will be a better DJ for it! You'll learn to pitch slide to control tempo. It will take some time, but you are really training your ears to hear differently.

As for vinyl: Maybe start with quality tracks that exist instead of just going for what's new? Buy some doubles so you can wear them down while adjusting to vinyl from CDJs. Also rip them to digital and analyze them so you have BPM and Key.

Prices (except for popular classics) are mostly $2-5 + shipping on Discogs. I focus on finding tracks that I've never been able to find before and they're still very cheap. Plus can't beat the label artwork on some of them if you can find the original pressings.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I decided to just stay with digital, but typically the stuff I'm looking for is $12-15 + shipping so I'm not sure where the 2-5 number is coming from. Example - https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=1357965&ev=mb

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

actionjackson posted:

I decided to just stay with digital, but typically the stuff I'm looking for is $12-15 + shipping so I'm not sure where the 2-5 number is coming from. Example - https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=1357965&ev=mb

Well yeah, you're not going to get a recently released Bunker NY record for under $10, but there's plenty of good older stuff that can be found for cheap.

Examples:

https://www.discogs.com/MAW-Company-Featuring-Xaviera-Gold-Gonna-Get-Back-To-You/release/162857
https://www.discogs.com/Soul-II-Soul-Move-Me-No-Mountain/release/132557 (the Dum Dum Dub is the reason to get this one)
https://www.discogs.com/The-Quick-Zulu/release/486861 (this is one of my favorite records and super cheap)

The trick to shipping is to try and find someone selling multiple records you want because shipping is generally for the whole order, not per record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got the cdj-850s. They are even bigger than the Xbox.